Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

Scratch washing on Sunday, I'm taking my hair down tomorrow. I watched a couple of 1ballerina videos that I don't remember seeing, and I want to try her double sealing technique. If I can finally get my hair nice and stretched out like she does (she actually has a lot of shrinkage), then my life will be made. I think I'll seal first with my oil mix and then with shea butter. I'm a little scared about using shea butter, and I wish I still had my jar of Crisco :blush:.

I tried henna one time and that was enough for me. Entirely too messy and time consuming when I can get all the protein I need from a bottle of Aphogee or even some blackstrapp molasses and egg :nono:.

i think with most of my hair processes i dont even notice time anymore. ive stopped timing it because it tends to fly by for me. anything i do to my hair, i try and do when i know i have something else to do like entertaining my son, cooking, or a nap. that way the time doesnt bother me i honestly dont know if ive ever done a hard protein on my hair. i probably will one day just to see how she reacts

I have some lush henna that I've tryna get my mom to help me with for weeks now she finally said yes so we'll do it Friday!

I did these twists on Friday and set them on rollers yesterday.

Attachments

• image-1924892878.jpg
    image-1924892878.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 66
So yesterday I took down my braids, and was so pleased with the results. I can't remember ever using oil, and later, pomade to set my braids, but my braidout was fabulous. I immediately put my hair into a low bun, but I did take it back down in the evening to enjoy it a little :look:. I was out and about today shopping and I was so glad that my hair was away. Plus, my messy loose bun was really cute :grin:. The only thing is that I moved my front part and my hair became super frizzy. Still defined, but super frizzy. I smoothed on some CO, and put my hair in 4 braids, so I hope that it regroups in the morning. When I was at Walmart the other night, I spotted a packed of spin pins in the discount bin. They were only $2!!! I am so happy to have another set!

Tomorrow will be two weeks with these twists. They look ratty due to oiling my scalp and co-washing, but I've been wearing them up anyway. I hope to take them down tonight and shampoo this evening. I'll install another set.

Tomorrow will be two weeks with these twists. They look ratty due to oiling my scalp and co-washing, but I've been wearing them up anyway. I hope to take them down tonight and shampoo this evening. I'll install another set.

I'm trying to get like you and leave my twists in for longer. Around 5 days I start getting bored and start taking them out to try something. Smh

So I took my hair out of the twists for a couple of days last week. I've been keeping my hair in twists consistently for a little over two months.

Either because I haven't seen my hair out in a while or protective stlying has definitely been working because I could see a difference in the hang and fullness of my twistout.

After I had my hair out, I decided not to wash but to retwist and then wear it out for the weekend (boyfriend's bday; his only request was for me to wear my hair out). I retwisted with Bel Nuovo's Macabasso Hair Milk. Loved it! My twists are so moisturized. I will be using this as my leave-in for my next set of twists.

20130807_212650-1_zps1ffeda5c.jpg

So here is today's hair. Started twisting my hair but ran out of time so I cinnabunned what was twisted with my new claw then put the untwisted part up n a style. Sorry the pic is do blurry

Tonight I re-braided like usual, but I more heavily oiled and lightly finger-detangled the back half. Today (day 4) would usually be wash day, but after wearing my last PS for almost 2 weeks, I know that my hair is totally fine going longer. It's a mental habit I'm breaking, because I don't intend to wash my hair more than once a week when school starts. It also means I manipulate my hair less, and I keep it up and away because it starts looking crazy down :lol:. I just need to continue to finger-detangle after at day 4 because that's when my shed hair officially builds up.
I also need to invest in some hair candy, so I can at least look like I'm putting some effort in :lol:.

faithVA - Your hair is growing out nicely! Looks great!

I'm still bunning on blow dried or flat ironed hair. I've found that since I've been blow drying regularly (every 2 weeks) I can flat iron on lower heat and still get good results, so that's nice. I'm back to grazing WL now. Keeping my hair straight is definitely the answer for me. My retention is great and I've seen probably 2 ssks in the past 7 weeks.

29w9ude.jpg

@ FaithVA - This is an old pic. My ends are a little fuller now and the V has grown out, but it basically looks like this now.

FoxxyLocs , you're hair is beautiful :love:!

Discovered that I can make a high bun with my spin pins :grin:. I'm going to be spending the weekend packing up to move, so I'll probably keep my hair in 2 flattwists or a braid until I wash Sunday night.

Did some flat twists in the front and twists in the back. I like it. I will try to keep them in for two weeks. Will post pics after my phone recharges. I love Hairveda Green Tea Butter. It makes my hair very soft and twists came out soft and juicy.

I haven't seen my curls in a little while, so I let my fro fly today lol! The quality of my hair has improved so much since I started PSing last month :yep:. The elasticity is so much better, and I had way less breakage than usual :grin:. My hair is cute and all, but I can't wait to be back to my PS :look:.

I haven't seen my curls in a little while, so I let my fro fly today lol! The quality of my hair has improved so much since I started PSing last month :yep:. The elasticity is so much better, and I had way less breakage than usual :grin:. My hair is cute and all, but I can't wait to be back to my PS :look:.

I feel you lol. How did you improve your elasticity?

Can I join?!?!?!:yahoo:
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
- Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
- Bun 5x times a week, DC 2x a week, Cowash 2x a week, moisturize and seal every other day, wash hair with shampoo once a week.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
- Relaxed
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
- Healthy ends
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
- 1-2 days
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one).

Attachments

• pizap.com13756637116191.jpg
    pizap.com13756637116191.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 30
Took my twist out this morning and wore a twist out with a head band. Washed this evening and putting my twist in now. Doing my hair tonight will free up the rest of my weekend.

I feel you lol. How did you improve your elasticity?
My hair gets hygral fatigue very easily which ruins it's elasticity. If I wet my hair back to back, I can pull a curl and instead of springing back up, it will stay limp :nono:. I found that CO prepoos help a lot in general, and I have to use Aphogee 2 min if I wet my hair 2-3 days in a row. I get the best wash n'gos when I go 4-7 days between washes. It was 6 days since my last wash, and I had been applying oil (CO and sunflower) to my hair almost every night. The "dirtier" my hair is the stronger it'll be when water hits it :yep:. Since I cowashed today (Friday), I'll try to wait until Monday to wash again plus I'll do a CO HOT and the Aphogee treatment so that my hair stays in good shape.

My hair gets hygral fatigue very easily which ruins it's elasticity. If I wet my hair back to back, I can pull a curl and instead of springing back up, it will stay limp :nono:. I found that CO prepoos help a lot in general, and I have to use Aphogee 2 min if I wet my hair 2-3 days in a row. I get the best wash n'gos when I go 4-7 days between washes. It was 6 days since my last wash, and I had been applying oil (CO and sunflower) to my hair almost every night. The "dirtier" my hair is the stronger it'll be when water hits it :yep:. Since I cowashed today (Friday), I'll try to wait until Monday to wash again plus I'll do a CO HOT and the Aphogee treatment so that my hair stays in good shape.

My hair does the same thing when I pull and stretch it!! So coconut oil + light protein + stretching washes? I'll try this out!

I let my curls free for a little while today. If I were to wear wash and go's this is what they would look like. This picture was taken after LCO with water, Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil Cream, and castor oil. Currently I am stretching in chunky braids and trying to decide whether I want to put twists in again or to bun for the week.

kd5rvt.jpg

Back