TWA Support Thread

Yall, each day my hair looks more and more crazy!!! I have no clue what to do with it at this length right now. I've become very frustrated with it (though I think the frustration has less to do with hair and more to do with work and personal life) to the point that I feel like shaving it again and just staying with a Caesar the rest of my life!!!

But I know if I can just get through this awkward phase I will be ok and well on my way to long length again.

I feel like that once I shaved it off for the first time and realized I don’t look crazy with it like that, the “fear” of short hair is no longer there to push my past this. I feel like it would be so easy for me to have one real bad day and say “I’m cutting it!!!” even though that’s not what I want. I miss my long hair. Most importantly, I miss my buns!!!

((HUGS)) This is why we're here! :grin: I BC about 10 days ago and I'm not used to my new length. I wore wigs 90% of the time while relaxed and I'll continue wearing wigs until my hair grows to a length that I can do something with.

Just remember, if you keep cutting-you won't grow your long hair back and be able to wear your hair in a bun. :nono: Hang in there! Maybe you can rock some cute wigs for a few weeks as someone mentioned.

I really do need to get my wig game together. I dont have any wigs any more cause over the years I gave them away. I may need to try it again... Because I'm at work right now and my hair looks like who done it and dont do it again!!! lmao

I would get some breads but the people out here braid WAY too tight! I will have none of that! And its still too short for me to braid my self because the texture is too loose. I have so much trouble doing corn rows on my head because of the texture of it.

Luckily I have you ladies who know what I'm going through.

1st pic is where I started. Not much to twist. 2nd pic are my twists last week. 3rd is my curly from from last week.

DSCN0464.jpg TwistP1 (640x479).jpg Aug12CurlyFroP1 (636x640).jpg

Last edited:
Sept 1 made my 60 day mark! One mini-set back and we're doing ok. It's definately longer...and though I can't wait to have SL hair, I'm truly enjoying my TWA. I like that it's so cheap--I use so little product!

I have mastered the wash and go without SSKs (or very few) so it's smooth sailing right now...

faithVA, on your positive reviews, I bought a bottle of AO Blue Camomile. Ran out of HSR and saw the BC there, so got it--LOVE IT! It IS better! Used it this morning and my hair is STILL moisturized.

Love the pics--your hair is definately growing. It's amazing--the shrinkage can fool ya sometimes.

Welcome @nisemac. Getting your hair cut in China? How fascinating. If he ever figures out your hair frizzing when it dries please let us know. Lot's of naturals have this problem. The hair loses moisture quickly and starts to frizz.

If you ever get back stateside, look at getting a Komaza Hair Analysis which may help you understand your hair a bit more. I feel you though on having more issues as the hair gets longer.

And baggying causes an issue with my scalp as well. I have been doing the GHE that Prayer4Hair suggested. I make sure my hair is dry before I do it though. I put on a bonnet, a plastic cap and another bonnet. That seems to work for me. Having my hair wet to start or putting that plastic cap against my scalp is horrible. I don't sleep and end up scratching my head all night.

as for the frizzing, I know the issue. it was a combination of his products and his attempt to fluff while drying. i get good definition by styling my hair when its soaking wet, using a leave-in + gel + oil combination. once dry, my curls are 'set' and i can usually get 2nd or 3rd day hair by just spritzing with water as needed to style in the morning. the heavy humidity here has helped--lately, my combination has been leave in (Giovanni direct or Kinky Curly Knot Today +Ecostyler Argan Oil gel + S-Curl (revisiting the juice). at night, i rinse my hair and usually apply jojoba or coconut oil.

Sept 1 made my 60 day mark! One mini-set back and we're doing ok. It's definately longer...and though I can't wait to have SL hair, I'm truly enjoying my TWA. I like that it's so cheap--I use so little product!

I have mastered the wash and go without SSKs (or very few) so it's smooth sailing right now...

:yay: 60 days :woohoo:

Glad things are progressively getting better.

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];16760285]@faithVA, on your positive reviews, I bought a bottle of AO Blue Camomile. Ran out of HSR and saw the BC there, so got it--LOVE IT! It IS better! Used it this morning and my hair is STILL moisturized.

Love the pics--your hair is definately growing. It's amazing--the shrinkage can fool ya sometimes.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad someone else likes it. It get's no love anywhere on the internet. But it's very good to me.

Mz.MoMo5235 said:
I really do need to get my wig game together. I dont have any wigs any more cause over the years I gave them away. I may need to try it again... Because I'm at work right now and my hair looks like who done it and dont do it again!!! lmao

I would get some breads but the people out here braid WAY too tight! I will have none of that! And its still too short for me to braid my self because the texture is too loose. I have so much trouble doing corn rows on my head because of the texture of it.

Luckily I have you ladies who know what I'm going through.

image-198591028.jpg

I found this style on you tube. It's really easy you can do it after washing. I've gotten a lot of complements on it I think you might like it too.

faithVA UR hair looks great!

I'm coming up on 90 days on the 6th so I took some pics. Not sure if I'm thrilled about the progress but maybe I'm trippin

BC:

image-1751834179.jpg

Today:

image-2700652070.jpg

Thoughts??

Last edited:
@faithVA UR hair looks great!

I'm coming up on 90 days on the 6th so I took some pics. Not sure if I'm thrilled about the progress but maybe I'm trippin

BC:

I think that's fabulous progress. In 90 days it looks like you went from 1/2 to 1" to 3 or 4". Is that about right? I think you should be really happy with that.

I cowashed my hair tonight. Made a kimmay tube leave-in with the Giovanni. I am wondering if I am not applying enough. And I was also making it incorrectly. So I put on a lot after I rinsed. I sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes. Then applied a lot more. Then I put my hair in flat twists. I have 25 flat twists :look: but it only took me 30 minutes :yay:

Hopefully it will come out decent tomorrow.

I saw a video where the lady put in 9 flat twists :nono: I don't know when that day will come. Even when my hair was SL I couldn't work 9 flat twists and have definition. :ohwell:

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];16767911]I NEED this comb in my life :drool:

View attachment 166681

Its a bone comb that detangles but leaves curls in place. Found in hairsense.com

Do we have enough hair for that?

I have two bone combs and I can only use the fine tooth one. The other one does nothing :lol:

faithVA said:
Do we have enough hair for that?

I have two bone combs and I can only use the fine tooth one. The other one does nothing :lol:

Lol I hope so! I'm looking for something to distribute my leave in that I don't have to force thru my hair

Last edited:
Since chopping my hair off (and a good 90% of the color that was on my hair) a few days ago, I have not experienced any broken hairs, extreme dryness, or brittle hair...Before I chopped I was having issues with breakage which I knew was from the coloring a year ago. I'm trying not to get excited but I feel so free right now...that hair color was really screwing me over..I can't wait to see how my hair behaves as it grows out again. With less breakage this go around, I should reach MBL in no time.

I made my kimmay tube LI correctly last night :lol: and doubled the amount I used. I applied it once, sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes then reapplied it. It seemed like way too much but I actually saw more curl definition than usual. Then I put in flat twists. My flat twists technique is lousy.

This morning my hair feels soft but waxy, so I can't tell how moisturized it is because of the oils.

Next wash day going to make the LI without the oils and at the end apply oil to 1/2 of my hair so I can compare the two. My cuticles already lay flat so I'm not sure I need all of that oil to seal.

CurlsOnFire23 said:
Since chopping my hair off (and a good 90% of the color that was on my hair) a few days ago, I have not experienced any broken hairs, extreme dryness, or brittle hair...Before I chopped I was having issues with breakage which I knew was from the coloring a year ago. I'm trying not to get excited but I feel so free right now...that hair color was really screwing me over..I can't wait to see how my hair behaves as it grows out again. With less breakage this go around, I should reach MBL in no time.

Welcome CurlsOnFire23. Color is NOT the business. I found lhcf when color was chewing off my hair too. Shoulda bc'd then but did it in july. Its amazing and exciting! You get sooooo used to the little broke off hair...then they're gone and u wanna do a little dance. Lol.

I'm sure your success will continue!

Welcome CurlsOnFire23. Color is NOT the business. I found lhcf when color was chewing off my hair too. Shoulda bc'd then but did it in july. Its amazing and exciting! You get sooooo used to the little broke off hair...then they're gone and u wanna do a little dance. Lol.

I'm sure your success will continue!
:lol: I do feel like dancin' right now but I don't want to get too excited then wake up tomorrow to those damn snippets of horror. Hopefully I've caught the culprit and will reap the rewards of length retention and healthy ends! Good luck on your journey!

Not complaining about growth, but my hair is starting to get too long for my texturized look :sad: But I still need another inch to be able to twist it quickly. So I'm in the between stages of a between stage :lol:

Hopefully I will see some wonderful growth in September.

faithVA said:
Not complaining about growth, but my hair is starting to get too long for my texturized look :sad: But I still need another inch to be able to twist it quickly. So I'm in the between stages of a between stage :lol:

Hopefully I will see some wonderful growth in September.

Mine too...and my shrinkage is a b$@!h. This is my first time being natural as an adult. Lately I've gotten good results running my fingers down the hair while applying my KCKT. I'm gonna try lifting my roots with a pik. I need to learn to style my hair without CW first...

Back