TWA Support Thread

APrayer4Hair said:
Mine too...and my shrinkage is a b$@!h. This is my first time being natural as an adult. Lately I've gotten good results running my fingers down the hair while applying my KCKT. I'm gonna try lifting my roots with a pik. I need to learn to style my hair without CW first...

^^^this right here. Before the bc my longest strands were past sl in the back. Didn't know til I flat ironed for the 1st time in ~4 years. Still looked like twa shrunk. Probably gotta get wl to look like more than a twa. Lol.

Wonder what's in that kckt? Might wanna try it...

I don't want to sound like a whinner but... I can't wait till my hair gets long enough where its time effective to start banding that way I can play up my lenght and create texture w/ twists. I enjoyed doing WnG since its a great alternative to timely twists/bantu knots and it showed off my lil coils/curls. However, my recent cut of heat damage revealed my hairs true texture - 4a/b/c kinky not coily hair. I did WnG for my short vacation and my hair looked like a straight up fro w/ no significant coiling much less curling. I didn't care while on holiday. However, I like curl pattern and I'm preparing myself for the reality that my undamaged hair has none. :ohwell: No one said this journey would be easy...

Last edited:
I can't wait for my next check! I will finally be able to do something with my hair. I want to get it twisted professionally (my twists are atrocious) but I am worried that the stylist won't really listen to me. I have to use a different regimen for my crown, and it usually frizzes up even when wet. It also breaks easier and the scalp is more sensitive. I would rather not have to keep reminding her throughout the entire visit

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];16782549]I don't want to sound like a whinner but... I can't wait till my hair gets long enough where its time effective to start banding that way I can play up my lenght and create texture w/ twists. I enjoyed doing WnG since its a great alternative to timely twists/bantu knots and it showed off my lil coils/curls. However, my recent cut of heat damage revealed my hairs true texture - 4a/b/c kinky not coily hair. I did WnG for my short vacation and my hair looked like a straight up fro w/ no significant coiling much less curling. I didn't care while on holiday. However, I like curl pattern and I'm preparing myself for the reality that my undamaged hair has none. :ohwell: No one said this journey would be easy...

If you can't whine here then where will you? Vent as much as you need to. I feel you on the hair. I never thought I would miss 2 strand twists. :ohwell:

And I have that same no definition looking hair. I think as it grows out though your definition will start to show up :yep:

I can't wait for my next check! I will finally be able to do something with my hair. I want to get it twisted professionally (my twists are atrocious) but I am worried that the stylist won't really listen to me. I have to use a different regimen for my crown, and it usually frizzes up even when wet. It also breaks easier and the scalp is more sensitive. I would rather not have to keep reminding her throughout the entire visit

What type of twist are you going to get kupenda?

[USER=305268 said:
kupenda[/USER];16782693]Just regular twists with my own hair. Baby two strand twists @faithVA

Have you thought of getting comb coils? Just asking. No reason :lol:

Why don't you think she will listen to you?

I also wanna place an order for some hair products but idk what to get. Tried and true Silk Dreams, or new and interesting Hairitage Hydration? I need protein and my hair responds well to Silk Dreams. I just love the pomades and butters. Maybe I'll get two products from HH (I'm thinking Sprout and Jar of Joe) and get my protein fix from SD instead of choosing only one

I also wanna place an order for some hair products but idk what to get. Tried and true Silk Dreams, or new and interesting Hairitage Hydration? I need protein and my hair responds well to Silk Dreams. I just love the pomades and butters. Maybe I'll get two products from HH (I'm thinking Sprout and Jar of Joe) and get my protein fix from SD instead of choosing only one

If you have something that works, I think you should always have that on hand. And then get the other thing to try. So if it doesn't work out you always have your staple product. If the Silk Dreams aren't your staples and you have something, then try the new thing.

I don't want to sound like a whinner but... I can't wait till my hair gets long enough where its time effective to start banding that way I can play up my lenght and create texture w/ twists. I enjoyed doing WnG since its a great alternative to timely twists/bantu knots and it showed off my lil coils/curls. However, my recent cut of heat damage revealed my hairs true texture - 4a/b/c kinky not coily hair. I did WnG for my short vacation and my hair looked like a straight up fro w/ no significant coiling much less curling. I didn't care while on holiday. However, I like curl pattern and I'm preparing myself for the reality that my undamaged hair has none. :ohwell: No one said this journey would be easy...
:hug3: awww Cruzankink... join the 4b/c crowd. We live in the definition-less land of cotton ball puffs... but there's still :weird: here. lol

You can force them coils! Find a good gel and start ta shinglin. Scads and scads of gel. lol.

I saw this video on envy and hair that was posted by Baddison yeterday. In the video this beautiful sisters is talking about the importance of loving my short hair first and not wanting what I see on YT or on the forums before my hair will grow. I really needed to hear that message yesterday. I woke up today with a better attitude about my hair. Check it out if you get a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXMH...feature=colike

Thanks faithVA and DarkJoy... Until I see some change possibly when my hair gets longer, I gonna learn to "force dem coils" teehee:lol: That will be my hair project his weekend. I'll update w/ any progress or regress.

I saw this video on envy and hair that was posted by Baddison yeterday. In the video this beautiful sisters is talking about the importance of loving my short hair first and not wanting what I see on YT or on the forums before my hair will grow. I really needed to hear that message yesterday. I woke up today with a better attitude about my hair. Check it out if you get a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXMH...feature=colike

Lisaaa Bonet I agree. Often times I need encouragement. Thats why I lovec the support in LHCF. Curl envy can be discouraging for me particularly on bad hair days.

I experimented last night with the kimmaytube leave-in. On 1/2 of my head I put in Giovanni Direct on the other side I put Giovanni Direct mixed with AVG. And I put 2 TBSP of each on different sides so my hair was saturated. I usually don't put that much. I sat under my heat cap and the side with the AVG seemed to absorb into my hair better. Then I tried to put some more of each on but my hair was so saturated there was no where for it to go :lol:

My hair was still wet this morning but part of the side with just Giovanni was white and dull looking. So I misted it with water and let it dry a bit. Then I did my texturizing method and put on a little sunflower/grapeseed oil.

My hair is still damp and both sides feels soft but the side with the AVG feels softer. The side with the Giovanni only feels a little crunchier. I will have to wait until the end of the day, as it dries out to really know.

I think its a good start to the experiments. I am going to do a comparison with AVG and AVJ next. I have a huge bottle of AVJ to use up.

just saw these on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2lsy2vk0Qc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=r_Ct0adWKYg&feature=endscreen

TWAs set with perm rods. this might be an option for our fine 4b/c who've been talking about curl definition.
OMG! Thank you nisemac for posting those. That first vid, the girl is my ultra fine hair twin. My hair is exactly that level of super fine-ness...but I just have more strands. Had to subscribe. Gonna go thru her vids now while I got a chance... Post back when you've tried!

For those having bad hair days, here's a great song to lift you up....
Alison Crocket - Nappy (Remix)

Enjoy! :drink:

faithVA I do a modified kimmaytube LI as well. I spray wet hair with a mix of 75% AVJ/25% suave naturals conditioner (trying to use these up) then apply my LI. no oils. I haven't tried AVG...
I think the thinner the product the better it's absorbed in my hair. Maybe I'm low porosity...

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];16794667]@faithVA I feel like the front is gonna grow over and cover my eyes at any minute! :look: :lachen:

I see what you're saying :lol: Yes I have that same problem. I have to make sure that I don't stretch the front too much. What I've started doing is directing that piece more towards one side or I take the front and sort of push it back and to the left and right so it isn't just sitting there dead center.

I am starting to get to the point where that doesn't work. But my hair is starting to get long enough where I can where a headband and it not look super crazy.

You have to start pulling out the tricks: bobby pins, flat twists, whatever you can think of :yep:

I've made peace with my hair. I went to a dance function. My friends have not seen me since I cut my hair. I received a lot of compliments. It's funny though, they acted as if I was more natural now since my hair is short :lol:

But I felt confident with my cut and my style, so that's a good thing.

And the over application of leave-in seems to be an improvement for me. I am now experimenting with AVJ. I put some on tonight and will see how it works. But the true test will be on wash day.

My twist look like knotty dreads now, people are starting to encourage me. One guy said your hair is looking good keep it up. When does a guy notice the hair journey, lol. It did make me feel good though.

Back