TWA Support Thread

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I would like to connect with others in this phase :yep:.

I am texlaxed/relaxed and BCed for the 3rd time in June 2012 (1st BC 2007,
2nd 2010). This will be my last BC!!

I struggle with PCOS, which leads to major shedding each year (temples and nape). I know know how to deal with this health issue when it comes to my hair so I am on a spiritual journey now to grow my hair out again and to be healthy all around :yep:. Also started relaxing and using way too much heat :nono:

Type - 3c/4ab

Reggie: Co-wash daily. I am trying to finalize my reggie. I use MJ's CP, PM The Conditioner, and EcoStyler as stylers (in different combinations); DC weekly.

HHG Everyone!

Attachments

• June 2012 Cut by Tony.jpg
    June 2012 Cut by Tony.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 51
I am in love with rose water this summer. It has been keeping my hair smelling good, and providing moisture. I just add it to whatever spritz I am using.

Seamonster said:
I am in love with rose water this summer. It has been keeping my hair smelling good, and providing moisture. I just add it to whatever spritz I am using.

I tried rose water earlier this yr but bought the wrong kind :nono:

Lisaaa Bonet said:
OP, thanks for starting this thread. I would like to connect with others in this phase :yep:.

I am texlaxed/relaxed and BCed for the 3rd time in June 2012 (1st BC 2007,
2nd 2010). This will be my last BC!!

I struggle with PCOS, which leads to major shedding each year (temples and nape). I know know how to deal with this health issue when it comes to my hair so I am on a spiritual journey now to grow my hair out again and to be healthy all around :yep:. Also started relaxing and using way too much heat :nono:

Type - 3c/4ab

Reggie: Co-wash daily. I am trying to finalize my reggie. I use MJ's CP, PM The Conditioner, and EcoStyler as stylers (in different combinations); DC weekly.

HHG Everyone!

:welcome: anything in particular u are looking for help with? Any hair struggles other than developing a Reggie?

I think my hair prods are making me break out. That or my body is still mad at me for leaving India, I dunno :look:

I've been getting these tiny pimple around my hair line and upper jaw line. I have never been acne prone and my skin reggie has not changed. The only change is that my hair is getting longer and in contact with more than just scalp and the lack of Indian food... So, I'm a tad butt hurt

Been away from LHCF for a bit. I came here last July to grow out my hair, which was a major challenge living overseas with bad water and other conditions. i participated in the 2 Inches in 4 Months challenge twice and was able to reach those goals, and then....i dunno what happened. i went from having enough to do a puff to using gel to do a small topknot and attaching a ponytail. it looked good and i thought it was a good protective style. then i noticed the breaking at the crown, and scalp issues at the base because my hair was wet with water and gel (my scalp doesn't like baggying). i didn't like the way my hair felt and i started noticing lits of ssks, split strands really bad splitends, like, even my splits had ssks. so, i went back to what i'm used to and what needed to be done--my twa--almost a year to the day I came to LHCF. normally a twa-er (by choice), cutting it off was like being set free. it's something i'm familiar with. no issues with split ends, my scalp is fine, minimal styling products--water, oil, and gel for super defined curls, leave-ins and oils for softer curls. the only thing that made me nervous was finding someone to cut my hair--in China. but i found someone. it took him over 1 1/2 hours to cut my hair, but he did it and did a great job--proof that hair is hair and its about the skills. he's not good at styling my hair--yet--he was confused as to why my curls were defined while wet but started to frizz as they dried, and his products won't work on my hair. there's also a bit of a language barrier. but i think we can work it out. he's serious about understanding my hair.

there is a part of me that really does want to grow out my hair. but once i get into the 6-10 inch range, i start having problems, and i don't know how to help my hair. so now that Mao's minnions ain't effin' with my internet access anymore, i'm back to see if i can figure it out. right now, my hair if the healthiest its been in a long time. i've overcome, hard water and other environmental factors. I bc'd July 15 and I am currently 3 inches on top and crown, 2 on sides and back, gaining 1/2 inch a month.

Thank you OP for starting this thread, and hello to some familiar heads of hair i remember!

1. BC date--July 15

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: fine strands, with fine to med/coarse texture. i spent almost a year trying to figure out my hair type. with multiple textures, i think 4a best describes my hair, although the curl in the front and nape are looser. when moisture is at a maximum, i have well defined ink pen-spring coils in the finer textures. the coarser parts need heavier products to clump. when i hve 2 inches or less, its easier to get the textures to look the same.

3. Reggie/Products: Aphogee or Shea Moisture shampoo. aphogee conditioner--when i do the 2 step. i recently fell in love with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration--amazing slip and hair feels soft. i use either aphogee leave-in, Giovanni direct leave-in and coconut or jojoba oil. also use the kimmaytube mix. its been extremely humid in Beijing this summer so I decided to give the S-Curl a try. it seems to work for me in humid conditions, keeping the Ecostyler (argan oil) from getting hard. at night, i rinse any product out of my hair, blot, apply a creamy leave in and seal with oil for teh night. in the morning, i spritz with water then style with gel and/or S curl. i cowash as needed and shampoo about every week and a half.

4. Goal(s): right now, even more than length is maintaining the health and styling for the various stages of growth. I can do twists and braids, and think if i start braid outs now, i can adapt better as it grows. i also want to color my hair. i desperatly miss having red hair, i just love the coloring on my. i've seen the work the stylist who cut my hair has done and may take a chance with him.

Edited to add:
5. Current pic or pic of BC

i have a hard time getting pics up. will try soon.

:welcome: anything in particular u are looking for help with? Any hair struggles other than developing a Reggie?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Re support:

1. I am trying to use as many natural products as I can. I am still looking for a leave in that will leave my hair soft (and that smells nice...I have such a low tolerance for bad smelling products!!). Would also love to exchange ideas for making leave in mixes at home that provide moisture :yep:.

2. I need moisturizing products with low protein as my hair feels like it has too much protein and not enough moisture. My TWA feels really brittle sometimes and I believe that my protein/moisture balance is off. I would lov suggestions on a daily conditioner, a DC and styler from anyone that is experiencing this right now.

Been away from LHCF for a bit. I came here last July to grow out my hair, which was a major challenge living overseas with bad water and other conditions. i participated in the 2 Inches in 4 Months challenge twice and was able to reach those goals, and then....i dunno what happened. i went from having enough to do a puff to using gel to do a small topknot and attaching a ponytail. it looked good and i thought it was a good protective style. then i noticed the breaking at the crown, and scalp issues at the base because my hair was wet with water and gel (my scalp doesn't like baggying). i didn't like the way my hair felt and i started noticing lits of ssks, split strands really bad splitends, like, even my splits had ssks. so, i went back to what i'm used to and what needed to be done--my twa--almost a year to the day I came to LHCF. normally a twa-er (by choice), cutting it off was like being set free. it's something i'm familiar with. no issues with split ends, my scalp is fine, minimal styling products--water, oil, and gel for super defined curls, leave-ins and oils for softer curls. the only thing that made me nervous was finding someone to cut my hair--in China. but i found someone. it took him over 1 1/2 hours to cut my hair, but he did it and did a great job--proof that hair is hair and its about the skills. he's not good at styling my hair--yet--he was confused as to why my curls were defined while wet but started to frizz as they dried, and his products won't work on my hair. there's also a bit of a language barrier. but i think we can work it out. he's serious about understanding my hair.

there is a part of me that really does want to grow out my hair. but once i get into the 6-10 inch range, i start having problems, and i don't know how to help my hair. so now that Mao's minnions ain't effin' with my internet access anymore, i'm back to see if i can figure it out. right now, my hair if the healthiest its been in a long time. i've overcome, hard water and other environmental factors. I bc'd July 15 and I am currently 3 inches on top and crown, 2 on sides and back, gaining 1/2 inch a month.

Thank you OP for starting this thread, and hello to some familiar heads of hair i remember!

1. BC date--July 15

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: fine strands, with fine to med/coarse texture. i spent almost a year trying to figure out my hair type. with multiple textures, i think 4a best describes my hair, although the curl in the front and nape are looser. when moisture is at a maximum, i have well defined ink pen-spring coils in the finer textures. the coarser parts need heavier products to clump. when i hve 2 inches or less, its easier to get the textures to look the same.

3. Reggie/Products: Aphogee or Shea Moisture shampoo. aphogee conditioner--when i do the 2 step. i recently fell in love with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration--amazing slip and hair feels soft. i use either aphogee leave-in, Giovanni direct leave-in and coconut or jojoba oil. also use the kimmaytube mix. its been extremely humid in Beijing this summer so I decided to give the S-Curl a try. it seems to work for me in humid conditions, keeping the Ecostyler (argan oil) from getting hard. at night, i rinse any product out of my hair, blot, apply a creamy leave in and seal with oil for teh night. in the morning, i spritz with water then style with gel and/or S curl. i cowash as needed and shampoo about every week and a half.

4. Goal(s): right now, even more than length is maintaining the health and styling for the various stages of growth. I can do twists and braids, and think if i start braid outs now, i can adapt better as it grows. i also want to color my hair. i desperatly miss having red hair, i just love the coloring on my. i've seen the work the stylist who cut my hair has done and may take a chance with him.

Edited to add:
5. Current pic or pic of BC

i have a hard time getting pics up. will try soon.

I hear what you are saying about reading the 6-10 inch range as it seems that my hair needs alot more work . I really admire you for taking care of your hair in China. It's hard as it is sometimes here at home. When I got my cut in June, a YT stylist did it for me with very little experience with natural textured hair, but he is a master stylist and I loved how it came out - the shap etc. I believe that if you stick with him, he will learn your hair and will be able to work with. Also, you can use Google Translate to write down your needs and send it to him in his language!

1. BC date
June 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
4a/b

3. Reggie/Products
Spray with diluted spritz mix, use megatek on scalp every 2 days. Follow every band wagon.

4. Goal(s)
I am on the hunt for nose length twist. Full Shoulder Length A Line bob is my longer term go. My long term goal is to grow to terminal.

Hey Seamonster,
How goes it? Did you cut again this summer?

1. BC date: 8/4/2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: 4b, low porosity

3. Reggie/Products: curly girl; for right now mostly deva curl and AO products

4. Goal(s) : 1st a puff, then a bun

Just big chopped yesterday. This is my second time. It is as rough as the first time. Once I get through this week mentally I will be ok. I know more this time than the first so hopefully it will be better growing.

My 1st big chop I shaved. This one I cut to 2"

View attachment 162579

I believe that a TWA always takes time to get used to, regardless how how many times you enter this phase. I gets better each day. Being on here always helps me, so :bighug:to you!

1. BC date ::: 7/26/2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair:::: No Clue!! Somewhere in the 4 region. About 3 different textures in there - 1. curly, 2. straight, and 3. disrespectful (in the middle)

3. Reggie/Products ::: Wash whenever my hair gets oily/itchy with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo (That stuff is the business!). DC every week - rotate between Kerapro Intensive, KeraCare Reconstructive (is thats it?), Kenra MC and Joico Moisture recory Conditioner. Use Suave Humectant to comb out in the shower. Cannot detangle without cones in the shower. I tried to go cone free. Failed miserably. Pain isnt worth it. Then I add my NTM Leave in, throw on some shea butter and roller set. I tried doing the curly hair thing since i'm newly chopped, BUT either i have heat damage at the front of my head, or my hair no longer curls. So the back is EXTRA curly, and the front is dead straight like its relaxed. The left side used to be curly, but i went to the salon last week for my shape up (I think I have an afro mullet...worst shape up ever!) and she flat ironed my hair and i heard the left side fry soooo good. It hasnt curled since... SO about 3/4 of the front is straight, then some 3C curls to the right. Looks very dumb!

4. Goal(s)
Main goal is to get the front to curl. Havent had a relaxer since November 2011 and my hair grows mega-slow, so maybe its still relaxed at the front....yeh lets go with that. I'm sure i'm not doomed to have straight hair at the front for the rest of my life.... Not too concerned with the length for now. Just want some health, some strength, less shedding, and HHG!!!!

I had heat damage recently and used a post that I read on here for how to fix it. I bookmarked the thread and now cannot access it :nono:. I will come back on here to look for it after I get some work done. Anyone else know which thread I am referring to? It gives several options for how to reverse heat damage?

finding someone to cut my hair--in China. but i found someone. it took him over 1 1/2 hours to cut my hair, but he did it and did a great job--proof that hair is hair and its about the skills. he's not good at styling my hair--yet--he was confused as to why my curls were defined while wet but started to frizz as they dried, and his products won't work on my hair. there's also a bit of a language barrier. but i think we can work it out. he's serious about understanding my hair.

Welcome nisemac. Getting your hair cut in China? How fascinating. If he ever figures out your hair frizzing when it dries please let us know. Lot's of naturals have this problem. The hair loses moisture quickly and starts to frizz.

If you ever get back stateside, look at getting a Komaza Hair Analysis which may help you understand your hair a bit more. I feel you though on having more issues as the hair gets longer.

And baggying causes an issue with my scalp as well. I have been doing the GHE that Prayer4Hair suggested. I make sure my hair is dry before I do it though. I put on a bonnet, a plastic cap and another bonnet. That seems to work for me. Having my hair wet to start or putting that plastic cap against my scalp is horrible. I don't sleep and end up scratching my head all night.

[USER=34971 said:
Lisaaa Bonet[/USER];16737843]Thanks for the warm welcome. Re support:

1. I am trying to use as many natural products as I can. I am still looking for a leave in that will leave my hair soft (and that smells nice...I have such a low tolerance for bad smelling products!!). Would also love to exchange ideas for making leave in mixes at home that provide moisture :yep:.

2. I need moisturizing products with low protein as my hair feels like it has too much protein and not enough moisture. My TWA feels really brittle sometimes and I believe that my protein/moisture balance is off. I would lov suggestions on a daily conditioner, a DC and styler from anyone that is experiencing this right now.

Welcome. I am doing the rounds with products as well. As a DC my favorite is the Aubrey Organics Blue Chamomile. That can be hard to find, so my second favorite is Aubrey Organics White Camellia. Still working on leave-in. So far haven't found anything. With a twa I don't really need a styler yet. My hair isn't going anywhere :lol:

I had heat damage recently and used a post that I read on here for how to fix it. I bookmarked the thread and now cannot access it :nono:. I will come back on here to look for it after I get some work done. Anyone else know which thread I am referring to? It gives several options for how to reverse heat damage?

I don't know the thread, but in threads I have read, they usually recommend a hard/heavy protein treatment, followed by a moisturizing DC. They recommend doing that for several weeks to see if the hair will revert.

Lisaaa Bonet said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. Re support:

Here is what I do:

-I cowash daily with tresemme naturals conditioner then blot out excess water
-mist my hair until wet with a moisture mix of 50% aloe Vera juice 25% plain tap water 25% any cheap conditioner on hand
- lastly I use kinky curly knot today as my leave in

I don't use oils, sulfates, or silicones . I was discussing earlier how oil seems to coat my strands and makes them feel dry. I've only eliminated oil for the past week but so far so good. I haven't used any sort of protein treatment since my BC mainly because idk how to tell if I need one on my natural hair so I just stick to moisture treatments. I'm sorta afraid of protein.

DC: 1x weekly with Hydroquench systems pineapple honey hibiscus mask with is protein free. She has a sale ending tomorrow of 50% off of $60+. Her shop is on etsy.

ETA: I think u should definitely check out the kimmay tube recipe. It can be found on one of the first few pages of this thread. It's a great home made moisture leave in

Last edited:
I just started looking into the hair journey forums and youtube videos about three months ago, i just recently decided to do it and here i am one month into it. I am excited and cant wait to get to BSL. (also ive been having one issue if anyone knows how to concur ssks please let me know)

1. My big chop date was 08/04/2012- almost 1 month ago yeah!

2. Hair type/ describe your hair- 3c/4a fine but dense hair

3. Reggie/Products
sealants- olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and wheat germ oil mix , carols daughter honey pomade
moisturizing leave in- giovanni direct leave in
protein leave in- Kera Care leave in
shampoo- v05- currently looking for a moisturizing shampoo (if anyone has ideas) (only on sunday- after prepooing with my oil mix)
conditioner- pantene moisture renewal (cowash every wednesday)
Aphogee 2 min reconstruction

4. Goal(s)
1st goal- NL
2nd goal- SL
3rd goal- BSL

Edited to add:
will post a pic when i get home, im at work :/

hi ladies! how are you? today is wash day for me and i dont remember updating with my new reggie, so here goes!

prepoo for one hour with coconut oil on scalp and hair (light massage)
shampoo with Nexxus Therrappe shampoo 9one lather)
tea rinse with strong black tea mixed with a small amount of aloe vera juice
apply DC (ORS hair repair nourishing condish) over tea
wear plastic cap and head scarf for thirty minutes, finger detangle
rinse with cool water, comb through with wide tooth comb if needed

lately I havent been using any other product after washing. instead i rely on my DCer and GHE'ing to keep my hair moist. if i do notice any dryness, i have a spritz made of 75% distilled water, 5% strong black tea, and 20% aloe vera juice

I'm pre-pooing now with EVCO and EVOO. I'm going to cowash tonight with TJ Tea Tree conditioner and Nourish Spa conditioner.

Here is what I do:

-I cowash daily with tresemme naturals conditioner then blot out excess water
-mist my hair until wet with a moisture mix of 50% aloe Vera juice 25% plain tap water 25% any cheap conditioner on hand
- lastly I use kinky curly knot today as my leave in

I don't use oils, sulfates, or silicones . I was discussing earlier how oil seems to coat my strands and makes them feel dry. I've only eliminated oil for the past week but so far so good. I haven't used any sort of protein treatment since my BC mainly because idk how to tell if I need one on my natural hair so I just stick to moisture treatments. I'm sorta afraid of protein.

DC: 1x weekly with Hydroquench systems pineapple honey hibiscus mask with is protein free. She has a sale ending tomorrow of 50% off of $60+. Her shop is on etsy.

ETA: I think u should definitely check out the kimmay tube recipe. It can be found on one of the first few pages of this thread. It's a great home made moisture leave in

Much appreciated! I will check out the Kimmaytube leave in and the Hydroquench :yep:. Thanks!!!!

APrayer4Hair said:
My curls feel springy/ spongy in a good way. I've been moisturizing with tresemme naturals/ AVJ/ water spritz topped with Kinky Curly Knot Today. :love:

I've eliminated oils. I just haven't seen any benefits. Oil seems to coat my strands and make moisturizing harder :confused:

I stopped using oils as well for this reason, it's improved my hair a lot !

^^^ i have also limited my use of oils. i only use coconut oil for prepoos and scalp massages on wash days and castor oil massages (with sulfur, cayenne pepper, rosemary eo, and tea tree oil) sporadically. my hair doesnt like oils much. my relaxed hair craved oil like a crack head. i was into anything oil related back then. but now it just sorta sits on my hair :/

i have a question. in the back half of my head, i have these little coils. they are like little volcanoes, wider at the base near the scalp and skinnier at the ends. they are very shiny and silky. not at all coarse. i always thought they were 4b since they look like 0's when they shed. does that sound like an accurate description of 4b? or of anything?

[USER=305268 said:
kupenda[/USER];16752251]i have a question. in the back half of my head, i have these little coils. they are like little volcanoes, wider at the base near the scalp and skinnier at the ends. they are very shiny and silky. not at all coarse. i always thought they were 4b since they look like 0's when they shed. does that sound like an accurate description of 4b? or of anything?

I didn't see any 4b in your hair. My hair would be 4b. You may be a combination of 3c and 4a. You can't tell by the shape of the curl. It is more of the diameter of the curl that helps clarify.

4b hair is typically not shiny or silky.

Tonight, prepooed with Deva Care One Conditioner for 45 minutes, washed with AO Blue Chamomile, Conditioned with AO White Camellia. Skipped the DC. Used the AO White Camellia as a leave-in. Sealed with oil. Twisted with Jane Carter Leave-in and KCCC.

It took me 2 hours to twist. My twists are definitely getting longer. Tomorrow will be 30 days since my big chop.

I will try to twist 2x a week and wear it 2 days. The other 3 days I guess I will wear it texturized. Never thought I would miss my twists

Yall, each day my hair looks more and more crazy!!! I have no clue what to do with it at this length right now. I've become very frustrated with it (though I think the frustration has less to do with hair and more to do with work and personal life) to the point that I feel like shaving it again and just staying with a Caesar the rest of my life!!!

But I know if I can just get through this awkward phase I will be ok and well on my way to long length again.

I feel like that once I shaved it off for the first time and realized I don’t look crazy with it like that, the “fear” of short hair is no longer there to push my past this. I feel like it would be so easy for me to have one real bad day and say “I’m cutting it!!!” even though that’s not what I want. I miss my long hair. Most importantly, I miss my buns!!!

[USER=95107 said:
Mz.MoMo5235[/USER];16757469]Yall, each day my hair looks more and more crazy!!! I have no clue what to do with it at this length right now. I've become very frustrated with it (though I think the frustration has less to do with hair and more to do with work and personal life) to the point that I feel like shaving it again and just staying with a Caesar the rest of my life!!!

But I know if I can just get through this awkward phase I will be ok and well on my way to long length again.

I feel like that once I shaved it off for the first time and realized I don’t look crazy with it like that, the “fear” of short hair is no longer there to push my past this. I feel like it would be so easy for me to have one real bad day and say “I’m cutting it!!!” even though that’s not what I want. I miss my long hair. Most importantly, I miss my buns!!!

I understand your bad days. And I know it's hard to hang in there, but if you hang in there you will have your bun back.

You just have to find something to distract you on the bad days. And think about something you can do for 2 weeks at a time to hide your hair whether it be wigs, weaves, extensions, etc.

With another 1" or 2" I will look at extensions to give me a break for 2 weeks or more.

Welp. I cut my hair off again last night. my hair isn't long enough to braid -___- This will be my 3rd official big chop but I don't think i'll broadcast it on youtube lol I'm staying away from chemicals and heat this time around. My goal is to have (stretched) BSL hair by the time we ship outta Germany which should be August of 2015.

I cut my hair with hair cutting shears instead of clippers this time around. I can still see some color but the color to new growth ratio is on my side. When my hair grows out a little more then i'll clip off the remaining colored ends. *sigh* Hopefully my hair will stop breaking, retain moisture, and feel a little bit better than it did before.

3rd times the charm...

Back