TWA Support Thread

Been washing these blow out twistouts/braidouts on youtube for a few days, and boy i am tempted. I said no heat until september, and i don't think i can hold it. I have to at least wait until my komaza analysis to see if my hair is healthy enough to handle the heat. Please someone tell me not to do it.

Just say no!

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

hnntrr - As faithVA pointed out, its still very early in your journey. I've seen many new naturals over the years online deal with "Jekyll and Hyde" hair: curly one day, coily the next.

* Its difficult, if not impossible to type your hair while you still have relaxed ends.
* You probably don't have enough length to type your hair at this time.
* The best way to "type" your hair is to do it while your hair is dry without product.

With that said, you probably have a few relaxed ends, or it could be heat damage, or...

The best thing to do is to care for your hair with patience until you know what's going on with it.

hnntrr, I totally agree with this. I know you have a big event. Do the best you can with your hair for the event. But try to relax a bit about your hair after the event. You are letting it stress you out. Play with your hair, take care of it, baby it and see how it turns out. Just ease up for a month or two.

faithVA, im workin on it. I found a solution for yesterday. At this point I duno what to do cause there isnt much I can do with it, so Ive just been wearing beanies to cover most of it. Its a weird mix of curly but not straight but not curly either, and its really thick, which I am not used to at all.

Hoping to go into twists sometime this week/weekend so I wont have to worry about it haha. At this point it just too short to do a lot with.

[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];18179065]faithVA, im workin on it. I found a solution for yesterday. At this point I duno what to do cause there isnt much I can do with it, so Ive just been wearing beanies to cover most of it. Its a weird mix of curly but not straight but not curly either, and its really thick, which I am not used to at all.

Hoping to go into twists sometime this week/weekend so I wont have to worry about it haha. At this point it just too short to do a lot with.

Can you do flat twists and put perm rods on the ends? Or just do a flexi rod or perm rod set? I think that would look nice.

The one thing about going natural is that you do have to be patient. You have to relearn your hair and it does take time. I've been natural for a while, but the natural hair I had in 2005 is different than the natural hair I had when I big chopped last year :ohwell: So I am relearning as well.

Can you do flat twists and put perm rods on the ends? Or just do a flexi rod or perm rod set? I think that would look nice.

The one thing about going natural is that you do have to be patient. You have to relearn your hair and it does take time. I've been natural for a while, but the natural hair I had in 2005 is different than the natural hair I had when I big chopped last year :ohwell: So I am relearning as well.

So far pulling my hair taught in bantu knots or flat twist outs results in it being straight (like a blown out styled knot or twist out). I tried flat twists and pun curling the ends, but that just looks crazy haha. I have found that since I cut the relaxed ends off my hair dries a little faster and looks drier. Then again I have been tryin not to wash it as much...so I might wash it tonight and see if that helps. I might invest in some perm rods, the BSS in DC is in the hood and I try not to go there if I dont have too hahaha.

So far pulling my hair taught in bantu knots or flat twist outs results in it being straight (like a blown out styled knot or twist out). I tried flat twists and pun curling the ends, but that just looks crazy haha. I have found that since I cut the relaxed ends off my hair dries a little faster and looks drier. Then again I have been tryin not to wash it as much...so I might wash it tonight and see if that helps. I might invest in some perm rods, the BSS in DC is in the hood and I try not to go there if I dont have too hahaha.

Maybe you should just treat your hair like it's relaxed. Just wear it like a short relaxed style.

Maybe you should just treat your hair like it's relaxed. Just wear it like a short relaxed style.

I might try that. I am debating whether or not to, I don't wanna use heat if my straight ends are a result of heat damage...up until February, before I knew how to properly flat iron...I used to flat iron with moisture AND oil on my hair with no heat protectant (and like olive oil too, and I dont think that has a high heat dispersal or whatever) so there is a chance I completely fried my hair, so the NG I DID have....is heat damaged...which is okay...... since

I anticipate after a few months if the curl pattern is that different I will BC a 2nd time to my true curl pattern, that isnt relaxed or heat damaged. Or I will just let this grow out and "transition" to healthier hair and then when it gets to a length I am okay with I will cut the heat damaged parts off... We will see though.

Ultimately,

I think I plan on keeping up PS styles for awhile...I am thinking about even making it a year long goal to just stay in twists/braids for the rest of the year, especially since Boston is SUPER cold in the winter and twists/braids are super easy to maintain and I can have those 2 months at a time and only take my hair down for about a week every 2 months...baby it for that week and then keep moving.

My sister BC'ed to where I am and as a result 2 years later of a wigging regimen her hair is MBL (and MBL on her is like 20", and my mom is APL/MBL with thyroid and other issues that causes slow growing and stuff from wigging). I dont think I will ever get into wigs...but I am okay with twists and braids...So my sister is my PS inspiration at this point (as well as other PS ladies on here). Im letting go and letting God. *BIG BREATH*

Sorry my responses are always super long. I duno how to shut up haha.

how are you ladies doing?

I have a super mini TWA right now. it's all kinds of lengths, my crown seems to grow rapidly. i was going to the barber to get it evened up and lined up, but i forgot that all black barber and beauty shops are closed on Mondays lol.

i think i might just hold off and leave it alone-rocking headwraps and hats and when i keep it curled up with gel, it's not too bad.

I trimmed 1/2" to 1" on Saturday so I will be twa a bit longer :yep: My crown is not yet EL. And the hair in the back is just starting to reach my nape. If I can't find a wig by the end of the month, I may put in some havanna twists to give myself and my hair a break.

Hey Y'all,

As you can see from profile pic I'm still rocking my twa with random straight bits at front. I'm still getting used to it, I tried hair one cleansing conditioner and it did not like my skin one bit! Still trying to find a creamy water filled moisturiser with not so super expensive price tag! My hair loves tresemme naturals, it's amazing and the slip is great! And it's cheap! Urm still using eco styler, my hair hates oil unless used in deep conditioner. Any recommendations are welcome! Just wanna know how long most of you are in TWA stage for without cutting new growth at all??

Thanks in advance!

[USER=239906 said:
Tiana_Sade[/USER];18215957]Hey Y'all,

As you can see from profile pic I'm still rocking my twa with random straight bits at front. I'm still getting used to it, I tried hair one cleansing conditioner and it did not like my skin one bit! Still trying to find a creamy water filled moisturiser with not so super expensive price tag! My hair loves tresemme naturals, it's amazing and the slip is great! And it's cheap! Urm still using eco styler, my hair hates oil unless used in deep conditioner. Any recommendations are welcome! Just wanna know how long most of you are in TWA stage for without cutting new growth at all??

Thanks in advance!

I don't see your profile pic.

Let me know if you find that water based moisturizer. I am having a tough time finding one that I like :yep: Tresemme Naturals makes my scalp itch but my hair loves it. Had to let it go.

I started the day with a decent enough afro. Looked at my hair at 3pm and it was doing its own thing :lol: I found a few bobby pins to salvage the style but it was a hustle. I need to stock my desk and purse with some bobby pins.

Had to share this!

There is this white boy on my team who us obsessed with my phony pony. So I told him if he got good scores on his customer surveys I would let him wear it.

Well surveys came in today and..

20130410_170503-1.jpg

Rocky91, my crown grows the fastest too. When i was relaxed, the ends of my crown and the ends of my nape will fall at the same place. So i would have 9-12 inches of hair at the crown and bangs, and about 5-6 inches hair at my nape and edges. That was me my whole life. Don't get it cut yet; i would try to wear style to hid it. My crowns still outgrows every other parts of my head, and i will just roll with it.
faithVA i have bobby pins everywhere: my car, my purse, my desk, the bathroom, my dresser, my going out handbags (every single one of them, lol).

I am officially tired of doing my hair. So I will be making a call today to get some type of extension.

Me too, but it's my birthday at the end of the month. My first birthday as a natural, and I want to rock my TWA for those pictures. Then I will put on some twist extension. I think my hair is tired of being done as well. Can't wait to put her away.

I'm ready for my one year length check from bald to what ever I'm at :) I think I've made good progress in one year ^_^

I never knew where I would be at after a year so I'm happy to see

I think i may have overmoisturized my hair. I always thought my hair is so thirsty i can never give it enough moisture. I have been playing with all these moisture rich products from DC to styling. I was like: wow this feels good, oh this feels even better, darn this is great too, and this morning i was moisturizing my hair, and it felt mushy. I did not think anything of it until i looked at my hands: covered with little pieces and medium length pieces of hair. I think i let out a scream:look:. I mean all my fingers, my palm had hair on them.
I don't have the time or the energy to do a protein treatment today. I just wanted to retwist my hair and go to sleep (worked all night). So i went looking for my chi keratin mist (which was in the dumping box in a closet somewhere). Thank god i did not give it away or throw it away. I never hated it, but i felt like i did not need it. I sprayed each section with that, and twisted my hair. I still had breakage while twisting. I should have let my hair dry more maybe. I don't want to stress over it, but now i can't sleep.

Rocky91, my crown grows the fastest too. When i was relaxed, the ends of my crown and the ends of my nape will fall at the same place. So i would have 9-12 inches of hair at the crown and bangs, and about 5-6 inches hair at my nape and edges. That was me my whole life. Don't get it cut yet; i would try to wear style to hid it. My crowns still outgrows every other parts of my head, and i will just roll with it.
faithVA i have bobby pins everywhere: my car, my purse, my desk, the bathroom, my dresser, my going out handbags (every single one of them, lol).
lol it is a STRUGGLE. Got me looking all lopsided.

faith, i am right there with you being tired of my hair.
been wearing headwraps for the past 3 days.
i wake up in the morning and it's all smushed to my head and requires spritzing and gel to look decent....i can't deal, i don't have the time for alladat in the morning when i have to be on the expressway by 6:30. :nono:

can't wait for a little more hair to get some braids.

I remember when I was having trouble with my ends when my hair was longer and an egg treatment spruced them right up! I'm going to try that this weekend.

lol it is a STRUGGLE. Got me looking all lopsided.

faith, i am right there with you being tired of my hair.
been wearing headwraps for the past 3 days.
i wake up in the morning and it's all smushed to my head and requires spritzing and gel to look decent....i can't deal, i don't have the time for alladat in the morning when i have to be on the expressway by 6:30. :nono:

can't wait for a little more hair to get some braids.

We need to talk :lol: The only thing I hate about twa is mornings :nono: Since our patterns are kinkier, there is no such thing as shake and go for us and the only way to get a twa looking decent is to completely wet it again :ohwell:

I just got some braids but need to take them out.

We need to talk :lol: The only thing I hate about twa is mornings :nono: Since our patterns are kinkier, there is no such thing as shake and go for us and the only way to get a twa looking decent is to completely wet it again :ohwell:

I just got some braids but need to take them out.
see now i ain't got time fo dat.:lol: i cowash at night after my workouts and i'm not about to cowash again in the morning. i will be wrapping my head in all kinds of fabrics until i have enough hair for braids.

So I have four weeks for my one year anniversary since I buzzed my head.

I think I will have a friend flat iron for me so I can do some then and now shots :)

I put my hair into finger coils. I am going to try to wear finger coils for 15 weeks until my 1st bc anniversary. Hopefully at the end of the 15 weeks, I will be near NL. Giving this twa a break.

Back