TWA Support Thread

You are definitely NL.

So what's your plan? You are going to go to the SL challenge after you reach SL? :look: :lol:

Looking at the striped shirt you have on in your pic, You probably only have about 4" to SL. SL on you is probably that 2nd full solid gray line. I'm guessing of course since I can't see the rest of the shirt but I think that is close. Even if it is a little more you will be SL sometime this year.

I scared! What if I don't make it?! Or I do the premature "I'm sl!" And everyone is like "girl! You Trippin!" Then I'm all like :( then I can never showy face again/hair again!

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

I scared! What if I don't make it?! Or I do the premature "I'm sl!" And everyone is like "girl! You Trippin!" Then I'm all like :( then I can never showy face again/hair again!

I'm not trying to make you go :lol: Stay in here as long as you want.

As far as the premature announcement, the only time that goes wrong is when people post a special thread and say Hey I'm SL. That is going to be a fail :lol: But if you are in the SL thread, everyone in there is cool. Usually you don't get non-challengers inside challenge threads.

But take your time. You don't have to go to any other thread. I was just messing with you. :yep:

I really wanna try finger coils again today but idk where to start. calling @faithVA where art thou? I need help!!

Here I am. Sorry I'm late APrayer4Hair

Finger coils are easy. Especially at our length. I use Taliah Waajid Curly Cream but you can use a cream or a gel. I take a very small section, almost like I'm doing mini twists, spritz it with water, apply the cream, smooth it in and then pinch at the base. I twist the base for about 3 or 4 twists or until I feel it will hold and then I start twirling the hair around my index finger until I get to the end.

You can do them bigger. They just look better on me smaller. The smaller they are the fewer parts you see.

image-373066540.jpg

Please excuse how crazy I look :nono:

I think I'd like bigger coils but idk. Needless to say I took it down an took that opportunity to trim my ends

So I just realized I'm getting close to my one year baldaversary =)

May 5th will be one full year from when I shaved off my hair and started a whole new hair journey. I think I will have a friend help flat iron and then do an update thread with a link to the org thread.

Sometimes I miss being bald. I just hate the awkward grow out process because there comes a point where my hair just says "hey lady! I do what I want!" And its not cute lol

I very rarely wear my fro any more outside the house. I did yesterday and ran into wal-mart real fast for dog food and this little stringy haired blonde girl is sitting on her cart just cheesing at me! She waves when I made eye contact so I wave back then she screams to her mom "MOMMY! WHY CAN'T I HAVE AN AFRO?!"

I just walked away quickly after that Lmfao

It's still at such a funny length though and its all naturally layered. But its a learning experience. Once I hit apl it'll be easy street and kind of boring lol

Hello All,
I am officially joining this thread cause...I just BC'ed TONIGHT!

1. BC date (no need for this...ehhhh?) but for real 3.31.13 (nice symmetry in those numbers)

2. Hair type/ describe your hair:
I am not sure what hair type I have, I think 3b/3c but I could be wrong. Its like cottony cloudy? But very wirey? Does not cump together into curls. Just is a big mess of almost curled hair. Hopefully in my washing it and activating the curls it will look better. Right now its a mess.

3. Reggie/Products:
I am a curly girl, so no sulphates or cones for me.
Currently using, As I Am Coconut Cowash, One N Only Hydrating Masque, AO WC, Shea Moisture Leave in, Giovanni Leave in, Joboba Oil, Eco Styler, 4 Naturals Reconstructor and a concoction of stuff for water based spritz when I dont wanna use the Gio.

I wash daily (sometimes) but mostly a minimum of 3 times a week, including a weekly deep conditioner and tea rinse (which I have really been lacking on lately)

4. Goal(s):

My goal is to get back to SL by this time next year. I BC'ed in Feb March of last year and was full NL and 2 1/2 inches away from SL with relaxed hair in DEC. So hopefully due to my BC, and P/Sing with twists and braids and healthier hair habits I hope to be back here by April at the latest. (although I think I might get there by Jan/Feb :D)

My goal is to also figure out how to activate my curls so its not such a cloudy mess.

5. Current pic or pic of BC

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo on 3-31-13 at 9.34 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-31-13 at 9.34 PM.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
You are definitely NL.

So what's your plan? You are going to go to the SL challenge after you reach SL? :look: :lol:

Looking at the striped shirt you have on in your pic, You probably only have about 4" to SL. SL on you is probably that 2nd full solid gray line. I'm guessing of course since I can't see the rest of the shirt but I think that is close. Even if it is a little more you will be SL sometime this year.

Really? Well I have a loooooooong way to shoulder length then.

hnntrr welcome to the TWA thread. Congrats again on your BC. And for a 6 month transition you have a lot of hair. I BC at 11 month to only 3-4 inches of hair. I am a slow grower, and I don't expect 6 inches a year. It doesn't help that growth aids make me shed like crazy. Hope to see more picture of your hair.

[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];18164719]Hello All,
I am officially joining this thread cause...I just BC'ed TONIGHT!

1. BC date (no need for this...ehhhh?) but for real 3.31.13 (nice symmetry in those numbers)

2. Hair type/ describe your hair:
I am not sure what hair type I have, I think 3b/3c but I could be wrong. Its like cottony cloudy? But very wirey? Does not cump together into curls. Just is a big mess of almost curled hair. Hopefully in my washing it and activating the curls it will look better. Right now its a mess.

3. Reggie/Products:
I am a curly girl, so no sulphates or cones for me.
Currently using, As I Am Coconut Cowash, One N Only Hydrating Masque, AO WC, Shea Moisture Leave in, Giovanni Leave in, Joboba Oil, Eco Styler, 4 Naturals Reconstructor and a concoction of stuff for water based spritz when I dont wanna use the Gio.

I wash daily (sometimes) but mostly a minimum of 3 times a week, including a weekly deep conditioner and tea rinse (which I have really been lacking on lately)

4. Goal(s):

My goal is to get back to SL by this time next year. I BC'ed in Feb March of last year and was full NL and 2 1/2 inches away from SL with relaxed hair in DEC. So hopefully due to my BC, and P/Sing with twists and braids and healthier hair habits I hope to be back here by April at the latest. (although I think I might get there by Jan/Feb :D)

My goal is to also figure out how to activate my curls so its not such a cloudy mess.

5. Current pic or pic of BC

Welcome! When was the last time you used heat? When was the last time you did a protein treatment?

Welcome! When was the last time you used heat? When was the last time you did a protein treatment?

I used heat on ...thursday? Cause I thought I wanted to flat iron it to keep myself from washing it so much (much luck that had). I did a 5 min protein treatment right when I washed it out (Friday).

Hopefully I didnt damage it, its still s curls and not any really coily curls...but that could just be my curl pattern. Even when wet it doesnt scrunch up it just waves...and the back coil's a little bit. Its hard to get it to do much curling on itself. Hopefully that will change the longer I go without heat and the longer it gets.

I have a reception tomorrow so I was thinking about doing a straw set maybe, at least then it will have some coil and not be a gross mix of s curls and a few coils thrown here and there.

I will say, however...that I gave myself a pretty good cut. Ill take pictures of it dry when I get home. I have a hat on so no one knows but my roommate and the girl who braids my hair (WOOT)

[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];18165919]I used heat on ...thursday? Cause I thought I wanted to flat iron it to keep myself from washing it so much (much luck that had). I did a 5 min protein treatment right when I washed it out (Friday).

Hopefully I didnt damage it, its still s curls and not any really coily curls...but that could just be my curl pattern. Even when wet it doesnt scrunch up it just waves...and the back coil's a little bit. Its hard to get it to do much curling on itself. Hopefully that will change the longer I go without heat and the longer it gets.

I have a reception tomorrow so I was thinking about doing a straw set maybe, at least then it will have some coil and not be a gross mix of s curls and a few coils thrown here and there.

I will say, however...that I gave myself a pretty good cut. Ill take pictures of it dry when I get home. I have a hat on so no one knows but my roommate and the girl who braids my hair (WOOT)

Just keep up with your protein. I'm not expert but I'm wondering if your hair is heat damaged. What is seen in your pictures doesn't even look like a 3's curl pattern. It almost looks like your hair is still relaxed or texlaxed.

Just keep babying it for now.

Just keep up with your protein. I'm not expert but I'm wondering if your hair is heat damaged. What is seen in your pictures doesn't even look like a 3's curl pattern. It almost looks like your hair is still relaxed or texlaxed.

Just keep babying it for now.

Yeah, I wonder that too. My hair has ALWAYS been like that though, even when it was growing in. And I have only flat ironed it three time this year and tried to make sure there wasnt a lot....but I flat ironed every week for years and fried the crap out of my hair. We will see though. I cut off a lot of hair so I dont want to cut off anymore so we will see.

Is there anyway to tell? Could it just be that the heat has loosened my curl pattern? How should I go about this?

Last edited:
Update:

Here are pictures of my hair dry with a failed braid out and wet with no product.

I duno. What do you guys think? I have heard 3b ranges in spirals and waves but I could be wrong and it could be heat damage? I dont know.

Sorry for all the pics.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.39 PM.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.39 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.39 PM #2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.41 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.41 PM #2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.42 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.42 PM #2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.45 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.45 PM.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 51
continued...

Attachments

• Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.45 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.45 PM #3.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.46 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.46 PM #3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.57 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.57 PM #2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.59 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 1.59 PM.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo on 4-1-13 at 2.00 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-1-13 at 2.00 PM.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 39
I woudl never guess you are natural. A good bit of your hair looks really really straight. Maybe it is heat damage but I'd refer to others' opinions.

Yeah, I wonder that too. My hair has ALWAYS been like that though, even when it was growing in. And I have only flat ironed it three time this year and tried to make sure there wasnt a lot....but I flat ironed every week for years and fried the crap out of my hair. We will see though. I cut off a lot of hair so I dont want to cut off anymore so we will see.

Is there anyway to tell? Could it just be that the heat has loosened my curl pattern? How should I go about this?

I don't know how you can tell. You probably just need to give it time.

It really isn't the number of times you apply heat. It only takes once. Not saying your hair is damaged. Just letting you know for future reference.

You may want to just keep alternating protein and moisture every other week.

I woudl never guess you are natural. A good bit of your hair looks really really straight. Maybe it is heat damage but I'd refer to others' opinions.

Yeah. I may not have cut ALL of it off, gonna have my mom shape it up later so there might still be some straight ends flyin about. It looks totally different from my relaxed hair wet. Its like legit bone bone bone straight and I was texlaxing when I was relaxing.

eta: thanks. this is really scary!

Yeah. I may not have cut ALL of it off, gonna have my mom shape it up later so there might still be some straight ends flyin about. It looks totally different from my relaxed hair wet. Its like legit bone bone bone straight and I was texlaxing when I was relaxing.

eta: thanks. this is really scary!

Nothing to be scared about yet. You are still early in your journey. Just enjoy your hair for now, baby her and start getting to know each other :yep:

Oh the phone tryin to figure out how to do my hair for tomorrow's exhibition and I am trying to tell my mom i cant blow dry or flat iron my hair cause i might have heat damage. Sent her the same pictures I posted on here and she is gettin so mad cause "heat damaged hair doesnt look like that" because I have trained my hair to lay straight (from using the scarf method for 4 years, and flat ironing. I duno I dunno. I am glad I cut it but this is a lot and I duno what to do right now.

Mom is saying I had s waves when I was little that didnt shrink like my sisters does. UGH.

Last edited:
hnntrr - As faithVA pointed out, its still very early in your journey. I've seen many new naturals over the years online deal with "Jekyll and Hyde" hair: curly one day, coily the next.

* Its difficult, if not impossible to type your hair while you still have relaxed ends.
* You probably don't have enough length to type your hair at this time.
* The best way to "type" your hair is to do it while your hair is dry without product.

With that said, you probably have a few relaxed ends, or it could be heat damage, or...

The best thing to do is to care for your hair with patience until you know what's going on with it.

Ok, so I did my first update in the sl thread ^_^ I scared

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130402_225019.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130402_225019.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Been watching these blow out twistouts/braidouts on youtube for a few days, and boy i am tempted. I said no heat until september, and i don't think i can hold it. I have to at least wait until my komaza analysis to see if my hair is healthy enough to handle the heat. Please someone tell me not to do it.

Last edited:
Back