TWA Support Thread

thanks ronie. Your hair looks great!
btw everyone, i got the fade for the pageant. everything went very well. I got 2nd place.

So I got my self a phoney and I'm not going to lie, it felt good having hair again. So I will probably keep it ponied up til apl.

The front won't go in a pony yet so I slick it down I and pin it. Plus that will insure it's not too tight on my edges.

ForumRunner_20130209_202540.jpg

Someone will have to snatch this off of me to stop me lol

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Aw man. I can't do a pony tail but I can make pig tails...sorta lol. I'm gonna get a nice curly half wig or two soon. The front of my hair is wavy enough to blend with a few I saw at the BSS today

So I got my self a phoney and I'm not going to lie, it felt good having hair again. So I will probably keep it ponied up til apl.

The front won't go in a pony yet so I slick it down I and pin it. Plus that will insure it's not too tight on my edges.

Someone will have to snatch this off of me to stop me lol

Looks good! I'm phony ponying it to APL also!

Went to the Baltimore car show yesterday. I was car shopping basically. One of the requirements was that in addition to accommodating my height (5'9), I must have ceiling space for my fro to grow. I would be blown if my ends were rubbing against my ceiling or leaving greasy spots from my oils and products. So the cars I thought I wanted, were no longer an option lol. I've been hoping for a compact car. May have to get a sedan instead

Did my twists on cold wave rods last night. Will take them out in about an hour when I get to work *crosses fingers*

I am so insanely bored with my hair that to keep from reverting to my baldy (my SO would die a slow and painful death), I will be going to the salon next month, possibly as a birthday gift to myself. It's called The Damn Salon and it has a location in DC. They specialize in natural hair and do not use heat or chemicals. I want something interesting that wont rip my hair from my scalp but still look nice and not take as much time as I currently spend on my hair (about five hours a week). So I'm considering the City Twists or Urban Twists. Expensive? Totally. Which is why I haven't already called to make my appointment lol. I'm going to mull it over for a week or two and go from there

I am so insanely bored with my hair that to keep from reverting to my baldy (my SO would die a slow and painful death), I will be going to the salon next month, possibly as a birthday gift to myself. It's called The Damn Salon and it has a location in DC. They specialize in natural hair and do not use heat or chemicals. I want something interesting that wont rip my hair from my scalp but still look nice and not take as much time as I currently spend on my hair (about five hours a week). So I'm considering the City Twists or Urban Twists. Expensive? Totally. Which is why I haven't already called to make my appointment lol. I'm going to mull it over for a week or two and go from there

I feel you girl. I'm not bored with my hair but I am tired of doing it. I thought about getting the twists done but it's not in my budget. So I ordered a wig.

Keep us updated if you decide to do it.

Love ( with a little dose of envy:yep:) your thick full edges.

Thanks! They weren't always like this. I used castor oil for two years, and Im still working on them. I almost lost them completely when I had a sew in as a "protective" style. Every morning for a week I woke up and had to pull hairs from my braids. Little white bulbs were peeking out from under the weave. My hair was slowly ripped from my scalp before I just removed the tracks :/

Here is my twist out this week. It's getting better. I hope it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. If I can hold onto my ends, I am going to be pleased by the fall :yep:

TwistOutSideP1 (640x482).jpg

TwistOutTopP1 (640x519).jpg

faithVA said:
Here is my twist out this week. It's getting better. I hope it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. If I can hold onto my ends, I am going to be pleased by the fall :yep:

Looking good faith!!

So I'm still rocking my phoney pony. I love that thing! But I get slightly depressed every night when I have to take it off :(

Here is how my real pony is looking. Its getting some length to it :)

20130222_190838-1.jpg

Excuse my bathroom mirror. I refuse to clean it more than once a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!

So I'm still rocking my phoney pony. I love that thing! But I get slightly depressed every night when I have to take it off :(

Here is how my real pony is looking. Its getting some length to it :)

View attachment 196223

Excuse my bathroom mirror. I refuse to clean it more than once a week. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Go look at my pony 5 posts up.

:lol: Yeah, I'm joking I don't have no pony. Girl celebrate that pony you have and that you have reached a milestone of being able to wear a phony pony. You will be bunning and doing all kinds of things in a few months :yep:

Go look at my pony 5 posts up.

:lol: Yeah, I'm joking I don't have no pony. Girl celebrate that pony you have and that you have reached a milestone of being able to wear a phony pony. You will be bunning and doing all kinds of things in a few months :yep:

Lol I'm glad its starting to look less "pug tail" like lol

Hey Y'all

I big chopped yesterday to 1 inch on top and 1/4 inch on sides... *gulps* my 2nd super short BC.

I havent seen my hair texture since I was like 8! So I have no idea what its going to be like or whether its changed. So I will need some advice!

I intend to wash once a week and condition every day (Even when relaxed my hair HATED) shampoo. So cowashing it is for me.

As the moment im using eco-styler olive oil, I still have yet to find a good water based/butter based moisturiser, currently trying the shea butter blend by african pride, not sure what to think to be honest... any suggestions welcome!

I think my hair is like 4a/4b depending on the area of my hair middle of my head coarsest and edges much softer.

I will post picks when I can muster up the courage!

Will probably braid a lot when its of a suitable length.

Welcome Tiana_Sade. The first few weeks can be tough but as you work your regimen you will learn more of what works and what does. We are here to help you as much as we can.

You can always get a cleansing conditioner to replace your shampoo. I only use a cleansing conditioner and I have a mudwash for clarifying.

Ooooo a cleansing conditioner never ever heard of one of them. I live in the UK so trying to get my hands on these products can be hard!

On average how much growth did you see in a month with yours?

My BC was a result of a massive lifestyle change, I have underactive thyroid and went undiagnosed for 2 YEARS!! Which has dried out and destroyed my previously relaxed hair. I also gave up smoking and exercise regularly and eat better!

I figured that I would need to do all of that to see a big improvement in my hair!

Im not sure how my work place will take it either (im the token brownie) they just dont understand, apparently "braids are unprofessional" so I have no idea how they are going to cope with this tomorrow...

Argh... I feel so -_- what have I done, but I know I'll be grateful when it grows in strong! My hubby loves it! I thought he'd scream when he saw me after the BC. But he didn't, he just came up to me and gave me a hug, told me I looked beautiful and said he cant wait to see my natural hair for the first time! He surprises me every day...he currently has his fingers in my hair playing with the wavy bits haha...

Please tell me the names of some good cleansing conditioners and mud washes!

[USER=239906 said:
Tiana_Sade[/USER];17962501]Ooooo a cleansing conditioner never ever heard of one of them. I live in the UK so trying to get my hands on these products can be hard!

On average how much growth did you see in a month with yours?

My BC was a result of a massive lifestyle change, I have underactive thyroid and went undiagnosed for 2 YEARS!! Which has dried out and destroyed my previously relaxed hair. I also gave up smoking and exercise regularly and eat better!

I figured that I would need to do all of that to see a big improvement in my hair!

Im not sure how my work place will take it either (im the token brownie) they just dont understand, apparently "braids are unprofessional" so I have no idea how they are going to cope with this tomorrow...

Argh... I feel so -_- what have I done, but I know I'll be grateful when it grows in strong! My hubby loves it! I thought he'd scream when he saw me after the BC. But he didn't, he just came up to me and gave me a hug, told me I looked beautiful and said he cant wait to see my natural hair for the first time! He surprises me every day...he currently has his fingers in my hair playing with the wavy bits haha...

Please tell me the names of some good cleansing conditioners and mud washes!

Well I believe certain areas of the UK have Sally's. They have a brand Hair One that has cleansing conditioners and they have samples. See if you can get an Olive Oil or Jojoba sample to see if you like either of those. Hold off on the mudwash. One of the things to beware of when going natural is buying to many products at first and finding that none work for you. Sally's sells more products for natural hair now. I think Sally's may let you return full size products though if you don't like them.

Well since you pretty much cut your hair due to a medical condition, your job just has to deal with it. First you need to start feeling better about your hair, and people around you will take the cue. When i cut my hair it was almost 2 weeks before anyone even noticed :lol: But you have to start feeling good about you. Otherwise every look and word someone else says will make you feel bad.

Your husband sounds wonderful. Glad he is there to provide you support.

Don't be too much in a rush to put braids in. Now is the perfect time to learn about your hair, how it likes to be cleansed, conditioned and moisturized. It's also a great time to love to learn it, what it does and what it won't do.

Use this board to learn as much as you can.

My hair seems to grow at the avg rate of 1/2 inch a month. But I have trimmed my ends 3x times due to some issues.

Hi everyone!

I'm a long time lurker! Thought I'd introduce myself and tell you about my hair..

1. BC date: 15/08/12 and I'm around 11 months post relaxer and have 4 inches of hair

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: cottony 4b with fine strands around the perimeter of my head, and then medium density strands in the middle. I also have veeeryyy fine strands at my nape and just above my ears that doesn't act like the rest of my hair.

3. Reggie/Products: sort of curly girl method in terms of no silicones or sulphates.

I've been using ayurvedic products such as shakakai to cleanse my hair and amla powder and oils to deep condition.

I use a mix of tresemme naturals with aloe vera juice as my leave in. I don't use heat, and sometimes use ecostyler gel for styling.

Right now I've set myself a one month challenge of leaving my hair in medium sized plaits for a month to give my 4 inches a break!

4. Goal(s) Thigh length..I'm not even joking..

Last edited:
Ooooo a cleansing conditioner never ever heard of one of them. I live in the UK so trying to get my hands on these products can be hard!

Hey Tiana Sade, I live in the UK too, but I travel around London and Portsmouth where there are a lot of black hair shops around. If you're interested in mud washes most of the Asda's I've been to now stock Indian hair washing powders and hair oils. Also I find for me that tressemme naturals cleanses my hair really well when I co wash, this can be found in any Boots or Superdrug store!

Back