TWA Support Thread

Today while rinsing out my DC in the shower I noticed that my hair is touching the top of my shoulders/base of my neck in the back. I fully expect to make APL this time next year. For the first time ever :)

I am ready for my braids now, lol.
now, don't get me wrong i love the look of the short hair, but it looks best freshly washed/cowashed every morning. when i wash at night, it gets all smushed and then I have to spritz it which defeats the objective of not going outside with a wet head which sucks in the cold.
my ma says I'm just being extra lol but seriously though...

Other than that, I'm still enjoying it so much. i'm so glad i did it. and it's so quick to style my hair.i'm really enjoying the fact that a tbsp of gel swirled in (30 sec process) is all it takes to style my hair. i spend that extra time on my makeup now. :D

This weekend I'm going to buy a pack of extension hair and try to twist my hair. My goal is to practice and become good enough to do my own Havana Twists. Paying someone to do extensions and rip my hair out is expensive and backwards. If I wanted to be bald I woulda kept my Caesar cut. I will post pics of my first few tries this weekend!

check in--no major change in routine, but this time around my hair is very different. moisture retention is good, and the texture is alos different. so far, i've learned that:

--hair LOVES cowashing. pretty much every evening. i now know that for me, its a combination of the right conditioner and how i cowash that gets me good results. right now its Tresseme Anti-Sponge conditioner. work in a good amount, detangling and adding water as i go and then rinsing completely.

-- my hair likes LOTS of water before using leave-in, gel, or oil. curl definition is at its best when sopping wet and product is better distributed. at night, i rinse and do a light cowash (2 or 3 if there's buildup) and rake thru leave-in and some jojoba oil. sometimes, i just use the oil. in the morning, i spritz with water, use gel and oil or serum, and finger style. i do my hair first so that its almost dry when i'm ready to leave. i also take a shower as soon as i get home and rinse my hair--that way its dry before bed.

--i've made no attempt to protective style, i'm just doing wng. i think once i hit the 5 inch mark, i'll need to start twisting at night.

--i do protein treatment and dc before and after coloring, and another dc a week later.

ssks are almost non-existent and i have little to no shedding when i finger comb/detangle. currently i have 3 on top, 2 on sides, 2 1/2 in back and 1 1/2 at nape. with my shrinkage, it looks like an inch or so. but i'm okay with that, cus its cool to stretch out a curl and see that its smooth from root to tip.

my routine is so much simpler than in the past. i spend 5 minutes on hair in the morning, and maybe 5-10 in the shower and less than 3 afterwards putting in leave in and oil.
my last visit to the stylist, he cut about 1/4 off. i'm planning to hold out until the next touch up and will try to have him just trim the ends to keep as much length as possible. i'm just really happy that, for now, i'm able to balance healthy hair and color.

decided to experiement and tried a dry twist out on my hair...'twas a ne-ga-tive. i'm beginning to think that my hair doesn't like when i do that right now and i'll wait until i get to the 6 inch mark to try again. i do recall, in the past, trying to stretch my curls a la miss jessie's tutorial and that worked.

lessoned learned: hair still likes wng, and if I want a more stretch looked, i have to do the wng then use a blow dryer after its dry to stretch the curls from the root.

baby steps.

I don't know what they are called. But the hard plastic green ones with the cap.

Thank You. It was my first time and I was quite happy with it.

Thanks for sharing. How long are you past our last BC?

Some issues I had with my hair that I thought were due to chemical processing are just how my hair is. For example, the right side is longer because it grows faster, the crown is very slow growing and dry, and the nape holds moisture better grows faster & surpasses the crown even after I cut the back.

Thanks for sharing. How long are you past our last BC?

Some issues I had with my hair that I thought were due to chemical processing are just how my hair is. For example, the right side is longer because it grows faster, the crown is very slow growing and dry, and the nape holds moisture better grows faster & surpasses the crown even after I cut the back.

I am 6 months post BC as of yesterday. Have had to dust twice in 6 months cuz my ends are crazy. Hopefully the next 6 months will be better.

faithVA, your rollerset looks great!
and your skin is perfection-so creamy smooth.

TWA LADIES, i need your help!
i'm entering the district pageant competition tomorrow. (Miss Black and Gold)
here's my thinking: if I'm going to be that "girl with no hair" i might as well be the girl with NO hair" and get my fade again, right? I also think it's a sharper, cleaner look.
I might just be digging for an excuse :look:

what do you guys think? to fade or not to fade for the pageant?

faithVA, your rollerset looks great!
and your skin is perfection-so creamy smooth.

TWA LADIES, i need your help!
i'm entering the district pageant competition tomorrow. (Miss Black and Gold)
here's my thinking: if I'm going to be that "girl with no hair" i might as well be the girl with NO hair" and get my fade again, right? I also think it's a sharper, cleaner look.
I might just be digging for an excuse :look:

what do you guys think? to fade or not to fade for the pageant?

Thank You Rocky91. Oh what a little cover girl can do :lol: I need to wear make up more often but I like to sleep in.

If you don't wear your hair in a fade, what is your other option?

faithVA, to leave it as is right now. which is like this:
REMOVED

my family and friends are so divided too.
My "pageant dad" says fade it, my pageant sisters say no. my ma says she doesn't care, my dad says quit being extra as usual lol.

Last edited:
faithVA, to leave it as is right now. which is like this:

I'm going to be absolutely no help here :lachen: They both are cute. I say go with the one where you will feel the most confident and beautiful. If it is a fade then rock it. Make it about enjoying the day and the experience.

If you had a Good Times afro I may have made another suggestion :lol:

lmao @ good times afro!!

my cousin's like "you have 1/2 tsp of hair right now and you already trying to do too much. :lol:
i am going to rinse it jet black tonight tho...:look:

lmao @ good times afro!!

my cousin's like "you have 1/2 tsp of hair right now and you already trying to do too much. :lol:
i am going to rinse it jet black tonight tho...:look:

Your cousin is right :lol: But I have had short hair before and I think its best to do what makes us feel the best. A bad hair day can mess up a mood :yep:

Rocky91 i had to come out of lurke mode to say that you look gorgeous either way. I have been stalking this thread since my transitioning days, lol. I have been meaning to join after my BC in january but i was so sure i would never wear my twa out that i thought i would make sense joining the group. Turns out i have been enjoying my hair, playing with it, and see all the thing it can do that my weave, and my twist extensions are still in my closet collecting dust. So here i am ladies to share and learn as my hair grows out.
About my hair:
Last relaxer: february 2012
BC: January 2013
Type: 4b, low density, not sure about porosity
Regimen: i dont have a set regimen. I just make sure to keep my hair moisturized, DC regularly and protective style. I wear a wig over conrows or tucked in single braids the first day after washing then i wear a cornrow/braid out for the rest of the week. I keep that style as long as it lasts then its wash day again. As i said it's not set so i sometimes wash only once a week. I have not used any direct heat since june of 2012. I plan to trim 1/2 an inch in march then again in september when i also plan to flat iron my hair if its health permits. I don't use any topical growth aid as they cause me major shedding. I can't afford to lose any more thickness.
faithVA i love your rollerset. Please tell me what did you do to it to get the second picture.
A few pictures of how i have been wearing my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 51
[USER=343869 said:
ronie[/USER];17858597]@Rocky91 i had to come out of lurke mode to say that you look gorgeous either way. I have been stalking this thread since my transitioning days, lol. I have been meaning to join after my BC in january but i was so sure i would never wear my twa out that i thought i would make sense joining the group. Turns out i have been enjoying my hair, playing with it, and see all the thing it can do that my weave, and my twist extensions are still in my closet collecting dust. So here i am ladies to share and learn as my hair grows out.
About my hair:
Last relaxer: february 2012
BC: January 2013
Type: 4b, low density, not sure about porosity
Regimen: i dont have a set regimen. I just make sure to keep my hair moisturized, DC regularly and protective style. I wear a wig over conrows or tucked in single braids the first day after washing then i wear a cornrow/braid out for the rest of the week. I keep that style as long as it lasts then its wash day again. As i said it's not set so i sometimes wash only once a week. I have not used any direct heat since june of 2012. I plan to trim 1/2 an inch in march then again in september when i also plan to flat iron my hair if its health permits. I don't use any topical growth aid as they cause me major shedding. I can't afford to lose any more thickness.
@faithVA i love your rollerset. Please tell me what did you do to it to get the second picture.
A few pictures of how i have been wearing my hair.

Welcome. Glad you decided to come out of lurk mode and join us. :yay:

For the 2nd picture, I just took each curl and pince small sections off and twirled it around my finger. That spread it out but kept the curls. I was afraid to comb it because my ends are in bad shape and I thought it would frizz. Finger separating worked pretty well.

Oh snap y'all! I can get my hair in a pony tail! That means I'm about to rock the mess out of some phonies until I get to a more comfortable length ^_^

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

How I wore my twistout a few times this week. It was pinned back on both sides. I will try it again but on a freshly done twistout

image-2952725779.jpg

Oh and I'm gonna use my cold wave rods this weekend with my twistout. Yay! I bought Bobeam's Cocoa Rhassoul shampoo bar so I'll use that to clarify/detox tonight and come back with results!

Back