TWA Support Thread

I miss those freedom days. I often think about re-shaving. But I miss my hair so I have to suck it up and keep growing

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Guess I'll join you ladies :)

1. BC date: Dec 20th 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: 4a medium density, fine hair around edges and nape

3. Reggie/Products: Lekair conditioner for DCs- few hours 1x/wk. sulfate free tea tree shampoo from trader joes I will use every week. Plan to cowash midweek whatever conditioner I have on hand. Use oil or cream at night. Plan to damp, mist with leave in and gel with echo styler in am.

4. Goal(s): 6 inches by next December 2013 ( hair is about an inch now). That's a inch every two months: I plan to exercise at least every other day for circulation, take my multivitamin and eat clean 6x/wk.

Edited to add:
5. Current pic or pic of BC:gorgeous:

Attachments

• image-1454960555.jpg
    image-1454960555.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I don't like my BC and I fully figured out why. It's not even like a fresh barber cut. I don't want to spead another $20 on a trim, but I need my hair to look neat since I will be wearing this hairstyle...Sigh! Decisions decisions

image-3017031693.jpg

Nasty tail eww

image-3037411932.jpg

Looks like I did a home hack job. She was a licensed beautician

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-363304559.jpg
    image-363304559.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I don't like my BC and I fully figured why. It's not even like a fresh barber cut. I don't want to spead another $20 on a trim, but I need my hair to look neat since I will be wearing this hairstyle...Sigh! Decisions decisions

View attachment 183109

Nasty tail eww

View attachment 183113

Looks like I did a home hack job. She was a licensed beautician

Welcome Shinka.

Visit a licensed barber if you need to, to get a shape up. It's worth $20 to enjoy your hair. Getting a good shape now will give you a base while you are waiting for it to grow out.

Is your hair naturally reddish APrayer4Hair It looks pretty.

Growth is going good but when I combed it out I noticed I still have thin patches on the top towards the back and at the sides. They have been like that for years and now I'm wondering if its relaxer damage from ages ago:sad: The hair generally seems more fragile and soft there. Nursing it with MN and JBCO

:bighug: Shinka I know u probably don't wanna hear this cause I hated my BC too. The stylist also took too much off my hair but it grows quickly and will be def get better.

look at this mess had

:nono::nono::nono:

Yours actually looked good and even. If it was even I would mind the length. Guess I will take "faithva advice and get it evened out. The unevenness impacts how it coils too

image-3603985353.jpg
Barber worked a miracle. I mourn the loss all my hard earned 5 months of new growth. Sigh, at least it looks better.

[USER=26733 said:
Vanthie[/USER];17529289]Is your hair naturally reddish APrayer4Hair It looks pretty.

Growth is going good but when I combed it out I noticed I still have thin patches on the top towards the back and at the sides. They have been like that for years and now I'm wondering if its relaxer damage from ages ago:sad: The hair generally seems more fragile and soft there. Nursing it with MN and JBCO

Keep nursing it. It can get better. I have thickened my crown up immensely.

View attachment 183223
Barber worked a miracle. I mourn the loss all my hard earned 5 months of new growth. Sigh, at least it looks better.

It looks really good. With a good starting shape you will feel more comfortable with it as it grows out. I think it is better to enjoy your hair while it grows out vs. holding on to a little length and dreading the next 2 to 3 months.

I understand how you feel. I cut off 3 years worth of work. It was gone within an hour :sad: I cut my hair off in August and it was tough going. But each month it gets better and it will be the same for you. Hang in there. :bighug:

It looks really good. With a good starting shape you will feel more comfortable with it as it grows out. I think it is better to enjoy your hair while it grows out vs. holding on to a little length and dreading the next 2 to 3 months.

I understand how you feel. I cut off 3 years worth of work. It was gone within an hour :sad: I cut my hair off in August and it was tough going. But each month it gets better and it will be the same for you. Hang in there. :bighug:

You are very right. I know that uneven hacked job would have stressed me out :) thanks for the encouragement!!!

Looking forward to keeping this thread going in the new year. I have a long while before I graduate to something else.

Dumb question: do u measure from straightened hair or curly? It'll be forever before i have some hangtime :lachen:

Shinka, the shape looks great! it is worth it, trust me. i'm a big fan of having some type of shape to one's hair-styling is easier.

My scalp is soo itchy....ugh.
I am gonna stick to just shampooing and no cowashing for now-my scalp is not a fan of conditioner.
It also feels like it is growing already and getting more filled in and it's just been a week! Now I understand why men are always at the barber.

Good morning, I guess I'll post in this thread. I've BCed again at the end of October. Currently I have about an inch of hair. I am very bored with my hair and used to doing something with it but at this stage I guess it's best to let it be. I'd like to color it or do something interesting but I don't wanna risk damage. Just rocking the boring TWA for now.

Incredible1ne said:
Good morning, I guess I'll post in this thread. I've BCed again at the end of October. Currently I have about an inch of hair. I am very bored with my hair and used to doing something with it but at this stage I guess it's best to let it be. I'd like to color it or do something interesting but I don't wanna risk damage. Just rocking the boring TWA for now.

:welcome: I colored my hair the same day I BC'ed and I regret it. No breakage or shedding but dryness sucks. Natural hair already tends to be drier. Then color on top of that :nono:

^^ try rinses or semi permanent color. And moisturizing DC's often.

I would like to say i will avoid color completely this time around but i know that is a LIE, lol so i will just take as many precautions as i can.

Sent from my phone-typos to be expected :)

Hi ladies! just a quick update.

Lately ive been very chill with my hair. ive started using bee mine sulfur growth serum twice a week a few days before wash day. i dont keep it in my hair too long. SO says it makes me smell like matches :giggle:

Today in an effort to use up my stash, i mixed tresemme naturals and V05 something or other conditioners and did a light finger detangle before rinsing in the shower. i let it airdry without leave ins or anything and i must admit, the results are pretty nice! smooth, soft hair.

Growth wise, I have passed '"pointer finger" length and am quickly approaching "middle finger" length. my twistouts are getting a little wonky due to the length so i wear a scunci headband or one of those elastic bands with flowers on them to keep my hair in the front from flopping over. I am using Curls Passion Fruit something or other paste on my hairline and its been great!

Other than that, im going to keep on pushing. I hope to keep my hair hidden more in 2013 to help with maintenance and all. Thats all!

I took a week off from my coils. Have worn my hair out since Saturday. It went very well. I had a nice twist out. And I wore it loose until I washed it today. It didn't dry out or tangle. So washing it tonight. Will flat twist it. I will go back to my coils on Sunday. I will try to wear coils from January through the end of March.

Did a flat twist out last night. My twist-outs are getting better. I am understanding my product combinations better and my hair is coming out more moisturized and smoother.

And my twa is finally starting to get some length to it :yay:

Christmas was my 10 month anniversary since my barber cut BC. I wanted to blow out the back layer & cut everything below the nape off to reduce the layers as it grows out but I realized I can't manipulate it if it's too short and I wanted to do protective styling for the next 2 months until my one year anniversary.

I read on another site that I can expect to be in the TWA stage for 2-4 years given my hair texture (50 to 90% shrinkage). I committed to staying natural for a minimum of 2 year (Feb 2014). I would like to take swimming lessons & train for a marathon while my hair is natural so I may need to change my minimum date to the end of 2014 because the earliest I can run a marathon is Oct. 2014.

Back