TWA Support Thread

So I still don't have enough hair to pull back at least on the sides. Got sick of wng and had an allergic reaction to crochet braid hair. :-(

On yt, found stuffed twists and rolls. The link below she rolls Marley hair in her 2strand twists to give the French roll volume. My hair is loose and looks just as good. As long as u have enough to grab and don't get greedy on the thickness it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqv-0j1Bpm0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Since my sides are short, i make 1 stuffed roll on each side and either bun the ends in back or roll them up. Been rocking a few variations to work. Yay!

Trying out the kimmaytube leave in with a natural gel and the combo is really nice. The leave-in makes my hair oily but it could be because I used jbco instead of castor oil. Not sure.

Same ol same ol here. Waiting on my mop to grow out and do something different.

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

I did a coil out for my xmas party and it actually came out nicely. And I easily get 2nd day hair out of it. Maybe in the new year, I will wear coils from Sunday through Wednesday and then a coil out Thursday through Satruday.

If I can learn to do my coils larger and quicker, maybe I can do a coil out Monday - Wednesday and redo Wednesday night and repeat. hmm, It's worth looking into.

Hi ladies! Checking back in. I've been in a bit of a slump lately, so I've been avoiding this thread. But basically, I don't like my hair. My 4b (I think) hair is gorgeous. It's springy and looks great in twistouts. It loves all products like its the first time and never let's me down. My 3b to 4a hair can kick rocks. It tangles, frizzes, knots, and refuses to stay properly moisturized. It only looks decent in a twistout, but its hard to get it there because its so busy trying to sabotage the twist. I've been having a lot of breakage with those areas too. So I trimmed a bit.

I got a few products (some protein, some moisturizing) and for the next few months I'm really going to focus on finding out what my hair likes in the winter. I'd rather get extensions and keep it moving tho

So I wanted to attempt to straighten my hair again but my flat iron is too big for my current length so I decided to whip out the hot comb!!!

Problem is I have no idea where it's at! I only brought my flat iron and blow drier with me to India and packed up my hot comb and all of my curling irons. I've been unpacked for months now but it only just now hit me I never found those items o_o

So I need to buy a new hot comb. Before I owned the gold n hot elect 20 setting hot comb but I'm open to get a better one.

No real complaints about the gold n hot, it lasted forever. Just thought I'd see if you ladies knew of any better ones.

Also it has to be an electric one, I do not trust my self with an oven or stove to heat up a hot comb. I would end up bald, homeless from fire, in the e.r. Or all of the above

^^I don't have any recommendations. Haven't bought any straightening tools in over 10 years :lol: And currently don't own any. There may be an old pressing comb thread around here that may help.

so ladies... maybe someone has similar experience...

it seems like i always have a problem with splits
with my first bigh chop and my hair grew out then with my relaxer and now with my twa again
and i have this one spot that grows in funny (either from the professional relaxer that i had 1year ago or this stylist burning me)
anyways...

- i use a satin scarf
- i clip my ends
- i'm in protecting extensions most of the times (i'm taking a break this month)
- i don't use heat
- my hair isn't dyed

so i'm not sure what's going on
- when i up my moisture my hair breaks
- when i up my protein my hair still breaks :/ (maybe i'll continue to up my protein in my hair and use a moisturizing leave in)

thoughts?

^^I think the thing with my hair is that it doesn't get sopping wet. I think I got it there 1 time when I finger combed my hair with conditioner for 45 minutes. :lol: But I've never been able to get it there again. Water just doesn't absorb into my hair like that. It also doesn't really weigh it down.
do you have low porosity?

so ladies... maybe someone has similar experience...

it seems like i always have a problem with splits
with my first bigh chop and my hair grew out then with my relaxer and now with my twa again
and i have this one spot that grows in funny (either from the professional relaxer that i had 1year ago or this stylist burning me)
anyways...

- i use a satin scarf
- i clip my ends
- i'm in protecting extensions most of the times (i'm taking a break this month)
- i don't use heat
- my hair isn't dyed

so i'm not sure what's going on
- when i up my moisture my hair breaks
- when i up my protein my hair still breaks :/ (maybe i'll continue to up my protein in my hair and use a moisturizing leave in)

thoughts?

Maybe you should think from the inside. How much water do you drink? Any vit or minerals? Exercise?

I know most people don't think of the inside stuff when they think of split ends but if the entire hair shaft is healthy then it will be less prone to splitting

Maybe you should think from the inside. How much water do you drink? Any vit or minerals? Exercise?

I know most people don't think of the inside stuff when they think of split ends but if the entire hair shaft is healthy then it will be less prone to splitting

thanks for your response :grin:...

- i've been taking my iron pills more consistently (this seems to be helping)

- i just noticed that i had less shedding/breakage today!!!! yay (don't know if it's a combo of all of these things: iron pills (cvs brand), new hair shears, my new steamer, or the cocoa detangling ghee :drunk: it may be because of my protein steam session :yep:

- i stopped taking salmon oil (was making my nails weak + i was experiencing weird pain in my legs in the morning)

- i take msm when I feel the need to

- i take Alive multivitamin practically everyday

- all i drink is water (average 5, 16.9oz) but i could definitely up my water intake

- and... i dislike cooking meat and i'm not a fan of protein shakes so my protein intake could also use improving hmmm but i'm not sure how to work around this

[food for thought]

thanks for your response :grin:...

- i've been taking my iron pills more consistently (this seems to be helping)

- i just noticed that i had less shedding/breakage today!!!! yay (don't know if it's a combo of all of these things: iron pills (cvs brand), new hair shears, my new steamer, or the cocoa detangling ghee :drunk: it may be because of my protein steam session :yep:

- i stopped taking salmon oil (was making my nails weak + i was experiencing weird pain in my legs in the morning)

- i take msm when I feel the need to

- i take Alive multivitamin practically everyday

- all i drink is water (average 5, 16.9oz) but i could definitely up my water intake

- and... i dislike cooking meat and i'm not a fan of protein shakes so my protein intake could also use improving hmmm but i'm not sure how to work around this

[food for thought]

Beans and lentils.is what the Indians use for protein as the don't eat meat or don't eat much. Also if you like milk that is a great source of the protein. Or if you don't, soy, almond, and some other non lactate milk will work.

I'm a big believer that what you put in your body has a bigger effect on your hair then what you put on it.

I can finally wash my hair in 6 sections. :yahoo: It is going to make doing my hair so much easier. :yep: I thought it would be sometime next year before I would be able to do this.

I just tried banding my hair after my wash with ouchless bands yesterday.

I can't believe I''ve been here (and natural) since 2007 and not tried stretching my hair in this way -_-. Yay for drying with little shrinkage.

So I'm rearranging my house which includes room and bathroom and I just discovered exactly how much coconut oil I brought back with me! Lol I was shocked and almost ashamed! Almost

I'm "out of the game" ladies. I just didn't have the patience anymore *sigh*. I self relaxed and I'm just going to have to keep it as healthy as I can.

I dunno how I feel about it, on one hand I'm a lil happy but on the other I miss my TWA. :ohwell:

So I'm rearranging my house which includes room and bathroom and I just discovered exactly how much coconut oil I brought back with me! Lol I was shocked and almost ashamed! Almost

Wish I could give you mine too :lol:

I'm "out of the game" ladies. I just didn't have the patience anymore *sigh*. I self relaxed and I'm just going to have to keep it as healthy as I can.

I dunno how I feel about it, on one hand I'm a lil happy but on the other I miss my TWA. :ohwell:

Hope it works out for you. Enjoy your hair whatever way you choose to wear it.

^^No it makes my hair hard. I will probably use the rest up on my body to get rid of it.

Oh for the hair I get a bottle and do half the bottle evoo, 1/4 evco, 1/4 castor oil, then some drops of eo.

I find 100% evco can make things crunchy too

Sounds good.

I stick to the lighter oils sunflower oil. And now using some avocado and apricot oil. My hair doesn't seem to be too fond of oils. Sometimes it will tolerate olive oil I've gone through a lot of bottles in the past few years.

Yeah that's true. My hair loves oil but only on top of a moisturizer. My hair even likes heavy oils like castor

Hey everyone! I will be joining this thread. The TWA is new for me and I will take all the support I can get. Off to read through! :newbie:

1. N/A - grew back from chemo starting May 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
I think I'm 3B/3C. The curls in the front are more defined and tighter. Curls in the back are loose. The hair around my edges grows slow, breaks much easier and my scalp has been REALLY dry since my hair started growing back.

3. Reggie/Products
Wash when I can't take it anymore (lol) with homemade black soap shampoo.
Cowash daily, D/C weekly with Aunt Jackie's In Control conditioner every other day
Once a week homemade scalp treatment (lemon juice, olive oil, tea tree oil)
Spray with coconut oil+tea tree oil mixture, Castor oil on edges nightly
Moisturize with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

4. Goal(s)
Healthy, thick, MBL+ hair

5. Current pic or pic of BC - Taken Nov 4. 2012

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpg
    IMG_6655.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 30
[USER=141800 said:
Caychica[/USER];17484433]Hey everyone! I will be joining this thread. The TWA is new for me and I will take all the support I can get. Off to read through! :newbie:

1. N/A - grew back from chemo starting May 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
I think I'm 3B/3C. The curls in the front are more defined and tighter. Curls in the back are loose. The hair around my edges grows slow, breaks much easier and my scalp has been REALLY dry since my hair started growing back.

3. Reggie/Products
Wash when I can't take it anymore (lol) with homemade black soap shampoo.
Cowash daily, D/C weekly with Aunt Jackie's In Control conditioner every other day
Once a week homemade scalp treatment (lemon juice, olive oil, tea tree oil)
Spray with coconut oil+tea tree oil mixture, Castor oil on edges nightly
Moisturize with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

4. Goal(s)
Healthy, thick, MBL+ hair

5. Current pic or pic of BC - Taken Nov 4. 2012

Welcome. And congratulations on completely the chemo. Wishing you many years of health.

Since you have had chemo, you probably still have a lot of chemicals in your body. You may want to do some type of scalp detox with a mudwash or any other products that speak of detox. You can also use Aubrey Organic conditioners because they are also scalp treatments.

Back