TWA Support Thread

Style of the day:

image-592414118.jpg

image-3414202756.jpg

Mini twists in the back and two "flat twists" in the front. Doubt I'll be mini twisting all of it any time soon.

image-2116929612.jpg

Also probably won't twist from soaking wet anymore because they shrank a lot!!

Please share what products you are using so we may help out.

Also how many inches of hair do you have? If you have 2.5" you have enough to twists or flat twists.

faithVA
I wash every 3 days then deep condition. I'm using KeraCare detangling moisturizing shampoo and I recently started using Jocio Moisture (can't remember the exact name) for my DC.

I use Giovanni Direct leave in and seal with Jojoba oil and let it airdry.

I've been trying Hairveda Whipped Cream as a moisturizer lately.

I had my ends trimmed about 2 weeks ago also. I have 3 inches in the top and the back and sides are about 2.5.

A lot of the products I have tried seem to just sit on my hair. I have clarified and did acv rinses but it still feels the same, its so weird.

Twist just unravel on me almost immediately so I just gave up on that until it gets longer. I'm just going to have to be patient and stop my whining :lol:.

@faithVA
I wash every 3 days then deep condition. I'm using KeraCare detangling moisturizing shampoo and I recently started using Jocio Moisture (can't remember the exact name) for my DC.

I use Giovanni Direct leave in and seal with Jojoba oil and let it airdry.

I've been trying Hairveda Whipped Cream as a moisturizer lately.

I had my ends trimmed about 2 weeks ago also. I have 3 inches in the top and the back and sides are about 2.5.

A lot of the products I have tried seem to just sit on my hair. I have clarified and did acv rinses but it still feels the same, its so weird.

Twist just unravel on me almost immediately so I just gave up on that until it gets longer. I'm just going to have to be patient and stop my whining :lol:.

If the products just sit then they probably are too heavy. As long as you are using lighter products as your first few layers you should be ok. Using a heavier moisturizer or cream as the last step is ok.

Not sure why you are getting so many tangles. But at that length and wearing it loose you do get shrinkage. Just make sure you are using something moisturizing before you detangle and that should help remove them easier.

You can always get some goody bands and band sections of hair before bed to reduce the detangling you have to do in the morning.

I know it's a tough length but in 2 months it will be easier. :yep:

Cosigning with faithVA I made some whipped Shea butter the other day to try out for skin and hair. It was a :nono: for my hair. WAAAAY too heavy. I get my best results with a liquid-y leave in like KCKT or PM the conditioner. Does UR hair respond well to AVJ? I cut heavier products with it for better results. Lynn84

Cosigning with @faithVA I made some whipped Shea butter the other day to try out for skin and hair. It was a :nono: for my hair. WAAAAY too heavy. I get my best results with a liquid-y leave in like KCKT or PM the conditioner. Does UR hair respond well to AVJ? I cut heavier products with it for better results. @Lynn84

I haven't used AVJ in a while. I think I will revisit that and try sectioning it at night with the rubber bands. I'm going to have to experiment and revisit some stuff until I find what works :yep:.

These coils are convenient but I can't wait to wash my hair. My scalp is screaming at me :lol: I'm going to wash tomorrow.

I am so happy I found the TWA support thread. I got my hair cut today by my scissor happy stylist. She's scissor happy but when my hair is in her hands, it grows and it's healthy. I was doing things on my own but not in a healthy way. So I hit reset and now I have a TWA faux hawk until it grows out again. I went from have SL hair when it was stretched to less than that all in the space of an hour.
I messaged my sisters and my BFF and they told me that it's awesome and i look pretty. I showed my mom and while she said she had no words, she spoke freely. I've been 'encouraged' to ditch my minimalist makeup look in favor of strong eyes and earrings. Oh and I should wear wigs and go back to the weave. (to make a long uncomfortable conversation short) The joke is on her as my hair on the sides isn't long enough for cornrows. I'm confident that I did the right thing and at the end of the day, it's my hair.

So BC: November 9, 2012
Goal: SL for the moment
Reg: wash with deva curl no poo, condition with deva curl one condition
After wash: knot today leave in, castor/olive oil seal, and the end of a tub of cantu leave in
Then style with : the end of a tub of Eco Olive Oil Gel

Last edited:
I finally got my avatar updated. I am going to nix the no cones to using cones in the winter. I'm experimenting with GVP the conditioner and eco gel with argon oil. I'm hoping to get multi day hair without having to co wash daily. I use castor oil on my scalp and hair for sealing. It is working well and my nape is now starting to grow. I'm hoping soon that I'll be able to do some twists. My nape is long enough, but the sides are still too short. It won't be for long, though. I am now moisturizing the sides better. It doesn't look or feel dry anymore.

It's been quiet in here. How are you ladies? Everything going well?

Since I've started wearing coils I don't have much to report. Now I get to just get up, put some oil on my scalp and at night put on my satin bonnet. Hope to do this for several more weeks.

My only focus now is to keep my hands out of my hair :lol:

I thought about joining the SL 2013 challenge but that's so far away decided not to put pressure on myself. So I'm here to stay through most of 2013

I have no clue when to join the sl challenge. Right now I would be happy just to be able to put my hair into a pony tail. But that feels so far away.

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

I have no clue when to join the sl challenge. Right now I would be happy just to be able to put my hair into a pony tail. But that feels so far away.

Neither do I. I don't know which part of my hair I want to use to mark SL. If I use the back, then yes I will be SL by next year. If I use the crown, then definitley now. If I use the front and pull it forward, um, maybe I will be close :ohwell:

I will give it until January and re-evaluate. Right now I don't feel like I have enough growth to even worry about it.

Hey all!

My go to "style"

image-3048649859.jpg

Will be 6 months post BC ON 12/7 :yay:
I'm still cowashing daily and moisturizing. Most days I just throw on a headband. :yawn: I bought some marley braid hair and plan in getting this style in a few weeks

image-325236000.jpg

[

Attachments

• image-1172144792.jpg
    image-1172144792.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
DCed overnight with HQS pineapple honey & hibiscus dc mixed with grapeseed oil and agave nectar. My hair is really soft!

Went to whole foods today and picked up AO HSR and Everyday Shea moisturizing condish

I've been in a major hair slump. I don't want to say I regret cutting my hair off and donating it because it was for such a good cause.. But I am really missing my hair.

I got some colored headband to help maybe jazz things up.

I'm feeling unattractive and not as feminine which is so weird because when it was buzzed all the way to about Aug I felt so fierce!!!

I'm sure I'm just still coping with that weird grow out phase mixed in with other personal issues that are not hair related.

I don't know :(

I found a great combo so I no longer have to wet my hair to refresh my WNG. Castor oil refreshes everything perfectly! I no longer have to even worry about curls drying out! I'm doing this until my TWA is long enough to twist. A few drops is all I need. Also I add a few drops of Afroveda's hibiscus oil. I am doing my wash n gos with GVP conditioner as a leave in and eco argon oil gel. Best combo, ever. It even works well with eco olive oil gel. I am loving the fact I no longer have to worry about wet hair in the winter and I can get 7 day hair as well.

[USER=95107 said:
Mz.MoMo5235[/USER];17290351]I've been in a major hair slump. I don't want to say I regret cutting my hair off and donating it because it was for such a good cause.. But I am really missing my hair.

I got some colored headband to help maybe jazz things up.

I'm feeling unattractive and not as feminine which is so weird because when it was buzzed all the way to about Aug I felt so fierce!!!

I'm sure I'm just still coping with that weird grow out phase mixed in with other personal issues that are not hair related.

I don't know :(

I understand. I felt the same way. When my hair was shaved I thought I was cute. Then I got that boy fro :nono: I didn't like it at all. Really big earrings, mascara and lipstick helped me through that phase.

Another 2 months and you will be in another phase. Hang in there.

It was sweet of you to donate.

I found a great combo so I no longer have to wet my hair to refresh my WNG. Castor oil refreshes everything perfectly! I no longer have to even worry about curls drying out! I'm doing this until my TWA is long enough to twist. A few drops is all I need. Also I add a few drops of Afroveda's hibiscus oil. I am doing my wash n gos with GVP conditioner as a leave in and eco argon oil gel. Best combo, ever. It even works well with eco olive oil gel. I am loving the fact I no longer have to worry about wet hair in the winter and I can get 7 day hair as well.

Glad you found a combo that works. Sounds nice and easy.

I am wearing my very first wng today. I have no idea if I will have 2nd day hair tomorrow. :ohwell: I'm just excited that I have one today :yep:

I'm trying to find the sl 2012 thread... I feel like I need to see where sl is actually at lol. But I can only find the 2013 one :(

Mz.MoMo5235 said:
I'm trying to find the sl 2012 thread... I feel like I need to see where sl is actually at lol. But I can only find the 2013 one :(

I feel ya...other than the obvious (touching UR shoulders) I think of it as the bottom of UR neck where the little "knot" is :confused:

Sorta OT I have no idea where the "crown" is? Is that the very middle???

_/ <--- a chair for me to have a seat lol

Yeah, the tippy top of your head where a babies soft spot is.

Or the whole area of hair that would be inside the crown if you were wearing a crown or tiara

just poking my head in....was reading the comments about wngs. for me, second or third day hair meant just spritzing with water and a little oil to refresh.

i tend to rinse my hair pretty much every night with a twa. i leave it dripping wet, add a touch of leave in and a little oil and air dry. in the morning, i spritz with water, then add gel and oil/serum--its the first thing i do. by the time i leave, hair is barely damp.

that works for up to 2 inches...after that :spinning: btw, sig pic has new hair color....still working on my webcam:nono:

Last edited:
My hair is about 4" and I did get 2nd day hair out of my WNG. I put water on my finger tips and massage it into my roots. If I spritze my hair it will unravel the curls and just frizz out. Then I put oil on my finger tips and massaged that in.

It was good for my 1st wng. I won't try another wng until the spring when my hair is longer.

My hair is about 4" and I did get 2nd day hair out of my WNG. I put water on my finger tips and massage it into my roots. If I spritze my hair it will unravel the curls and just frizz out. Then I put oil on my finger tips and massaged that in.

It was good for my 1st wng. I won't try another wng until the spring when my hair is longer.

i'm just the opposite...the more water I add the better the curl definition. i had to add product to my hair while sopping wet. otherwise, i get frizz.

^^I think the thing with my hair is that it doesn't get sopping wet. I think I got it there 1 time when I finger combed my hair with conditioner for 45 minutes. :lol: But I've never been able to get it there again. Water just doesn't absorb into my hair like that. It also doesn't really weigh it down.

=/
i'm still having problems with split ends

maybe it's time that i invest in some more hair shears
any recommendations?

i placed an order for a steamer

sigh (pocket strain)

Back