TWA Support Thread

I'm hating doing my hair right now. I can't separate my hair in sections yet so it shrinks and shrinks while I'm trying to twist it. So spraying, stretching, detangling and twisting :nono: Just being able to condition in sections is going to make all the difference in the world. Hopefull I will be able to do that in 60 more days. That's about 24 to 32 more hair sessions. :sad:

Did I tell tall I tried to straighten my hair?!

So I saw an article about one of the sister sister twins doing the BC and seeing her twa and then another shot with it straightened into the cutest pixie. So of course I was like "OMG I bet I have a pixie in this fro too and I'm gonna find it!"

So I whip out the flat iron and star to straighten! Boy it was the biggest fail in life Lmfao I looked like a stuck a wet finger into a socket!!! No bueno!

Heat is what got me to this twa. So I won't be messing with it anytime soon. And if I get tempted, I will just talk to my SO about it. I'm sure he will talk me down.

I definitely won't be doing heat before I can get my hair fully in a bun.

sorry I haven't been around...work has been crazy and internet access here is inconsistent. i 'chopped' again. i had my stylist cut my hair shorter--he was very conservative when he cut the first time, since he hadn't cut hair like mine before. This time around, he went for it and got all knots, split ends, and damage--big difference. i'm also taking this time to really figure out what works for my hair. right now, water/oil/leave-in/gel/oil combo works best. I get the best curl definintion for all my textures and my hair is soft and moisturized. Here's my routine:

1x month, clarify(if needed) with Aphogee/Shea moisture shampoo and a little baking soda (if needed); plan to start trying apple cider vinegar to clarify.

3-4x week, co-wash with V05 clarifying conditioner, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, or Tressemme(sp) conditioners. I use the V05 when I use gel or my Keratase Elixir Ultime oil to remove possible buildup.

1x week deep condition with Queen Helene cholesterol treament mixed with olive oil. I put on a plastic cap and my heat bonnet for about 15-20 minutes

Aphogee 2 step protein treatment as needed. Recently did one because I got my hair colored...yes, went back to the red!

Also, i rinse my hair every evening, and apply a dime size amount of leave in (Kinky curl or Giovanni direct) and top with jojoba oil.

with the weather getting colder, i plan to start letting it grow and will be doing an inch by inch watch. right now, products and styling work together. no knots, no dryness--for me, right now, my hair is perfect. now i have to figure out how to get what i have now, to 6-10 inches and beyond, since i always get fed up and cut at those lengths. i'll work with my stylist at each stage on trimming to see it it makes a difference. right now, i'm finding that the Keratase seems to help with the knots--it has 'cones, but the 'good' ones. applied under or over my gel, it provides a nice slip and the hair shaft is smooth--even after my hair has dried. there are a couple of ingredients that fall on the tightlycurly.com warning list, used for fragrance, but i haven't had any issues.

will try to change my profile pic to show hair color.

Heat is what got me to this twa. So I won't be messing with it anytime soon. And if I get tempted, I will just talk to my SO about it. I'm sure he will talk me down.

I definitely won't be doing heat before I can get my hair fully in a bun.

What happened Faith. How often were you using it.

nisemac

Glad you are making good progress. Since you have found a regimen and a stylist that work, the length will follow. I think you will get good retention.

Thanks for the update.

What happened Faith. How often were you using it.

Vanthie, I only used heat 2x in 3 years but it burned the protein in my hair and was irreparable. The only reason I was doing heat was to do a length check. :nono: Just going to focus on getting really long twists that I can pile up on my head. :yep:

Decided to try to pin curl my hair tonight. Misted my hair with water, put on a little sta sof fro and then pin curled. I have no clue how this will come out. I have no pin curl skills. Hopefully the worse case scenario is that it will be a bandable afro. :ohwell:

Sooooo...that sew-in I got...yeah...disaster...a beautiful disaster. I learned a very valuable lesson...INVEST IN SOME GOOD QUALITY HAIR. My weave was awesome for a week, then fell victim to a matted, tangled mess. My "weave-ologist" did a great job with the sew in itself (Great sew in pattern) so I will go back to her with good quality hair in a couple of months. I'm still in the cornrows from the sew-in (and will be keeping them in for the next 6 weeks), just wearing a wig overtop.

1st pic is the sew in
2nd pic is the wig
3rd pic is my real hair on Oct 20th. I think its about 2 inches long (stretched).
4th pic is another wig I wear (please excuse my facial expression, I was blowing a kiss to my SO).

Tis all...

Attachments

• Snapshot_20121027.JPG
    Snapshot_20121027.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Snapshot_20121102_23.JPG
    Snapshot_20121102_23.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 42
  • hair 10-20-12.jpg
    hair 10-20-12.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Snapshot_20120804_8.JPG
    Snapshot_20120804_8.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 43
So my mom wants me to start combing my hair. It's not long enough to twist yet where is a comb going. Other than that its growing. Going to get a wig made for the winter.

Found a way to section my hair. I used the goody bands and put my hair into 10 sections, 5 on each side after I put on my DC. It worked wonders. It may have taken a little longer to rinse and apply my product, but I saved a LOT of time since I didn't have to detangle. My hair feels much smoother and it was easier to apply product.

Now I'm going to style and my hair is already separated in sections :yay:

I had a good hair wash day for a change. I oiled my scalp with my castor oil blend. Then I washed with Hair One Olive Oil. I actually like this. Can't wait to try the Hair One Argan Oil. I put my hair into 10 sections. Then I DCd with AO Blue Chamomile under my heat cap for 45 minutes. I let the water absorb for 15 minutes. Then I put 1/4 tsp of oil on each section. I used As I Am Leave In on each section. I combed it through with my Hercules K-Comb. For styling. I misted small sections then used As I Am Curling Jelly and put in finger combs. It took me almost 3 hours but it came out pretty good for my first time. If this last all week I am set.

As I was doing this I think I learned a little bit about how to do a WNG on my hair. I will try it on my next day off.

I'm really wanting to do some henna and indigo in my hair. I'm kind of super broke so can't order any and there aren't any Indians let alone an Indian grocers to get stuff from.

I have henna that I brought back with me from India but that was to do body art with and I couldn't find indigo there. I'm scared to do henna w/o the indigo because I like having ink black hair. I don't want red or orange highlights in the sun or brassy greys

@Evallusion

What is the last short wig called? I think you look best in that one.

Vanthie Its a Saga Remy Wig called Destiny in a 1B. Its Human Hair and is the best Human Hair quality I've ever purchased. The best place to get it from is divatress.com Its cheapest there (40 bucks believe it or not) and shipping is fast. This is my favorite wig as well and it last forever. I have had it for almost a year and a half and it still looks like new. I get the most compliments with this wig--even got stopped by TSA security at the airport and questioned about this hair. :lachen:

I've been wearning a broaed headband with the front of my hair parted at the side and slicked back. I don't have a pic, but this style is helping we with this crazy stage that my hair is in :yep:. I must admit that I am not that great at styling.

*RANT*

The tangles, the tangles, the tangles!!!! I'm not even remotely out of the twa stage but the tangles and ssk's are driving me mad :nono:

Its not long enough to twist or braid so all I can do is detangle it in the morning and before I go to bed and put on my bonnet or scarf. I wake up and there are those freakin tangles once again.

During the day I detangle it and I keep my hands out of my head but it still is tangled like crazy when I go to detangle before bed.

In the top of my head I have tiny coils but the back is more of a loose curl pattern and that part tangles worse than the top. UGH!!!

Am I doing something wrong here or do I have to just tough it out?

*END RANT*

Lynn84 said:
*RANT*

The tangles, the tangles, the tangles!!!! I'm not even remotely out of the twa stage but the tangles and ssk's are driving me mad :nono:

Its not long enough to twist or braid so all I can do is detangle it in the morning and before I go to bed and put on my bonnet or scarf. I wake up and there are those freakin tangles once again.

During the day I detangle it and I keep my hands out of my head but it still is tangled like crazy when I go to detangle before bed.

In the top of my head I have tiny coils but the back is more of a loose curl pattern and that part tangles worse than the top. UGH!!!

*END RANT*

I keep my hair extremely moisturized, only experiencing tangles if it is very dry.

Sooo...on Friday I bought the DCer by EDEN Bodyworks at Walmart. Wtf! I liked the ingredients but omg my hair feels awful. Absolutely awful. And I have no idea why. I called myself trying to get my hair products on the ground at local stores to prevent having to pay for shipping, stolen packages, etc. Nope. Not with this line. I know in my heart that I get great results with Silk Dreams conditioners and I love Hairveda's styling aids like oils, almond glaze, etc. I think I'll just stick with them and stop experimenting

[USER=79403 said:
Lynn84[/USER];17192767]*RANT*

*END RANT*

Please share what products you are using so we may help out.

Also how many inches of hair do you have? If you have 2.5" you have enough to twists or flat twists.

Here are my coils I did on Friday. I added earrings and that made them look better. My SO liked them and so did my girlfriend. I used to get this done at the salon. Glad I can do them myself. So I will be doing these weekly at least until January.

They aren't fresh. I slept on them two days. Last night I didn't have my bonnet. They held up pretty well considering.

CoilsFrontP1 (640x451).jpg

CoilsBackP1 (640x614).jpg

I'm still adjusting to my new TWA. I'm studying abroad in South Africa right now, but I will be returning home in three weeks! Think I'm gonna get braids before I leave. The dry months ahead are gonna be a true test!! Lol, hopefully I will be able to keep my hair hydrated and in good condition!

@faithVA OOOO! How did you do them? How long did it take? They look great!

Thanks kupenda. This is my first time doing them and I was happy with them.

I did my regular wash/DC routine and separated my hair in 10 sections with goody bands. Applied sunflower oil and As I Am leave-in to each section. Then I took a small section of each section, misted it with water to get it fairly wet, saturated it with As I Am Curling Jelly, combed it through and then twisted it/coiled it with my fingers.

It is was fairly simple. It took me about 2.5 to 3 hours while watching tv. I think as I keep doing them it won't take as long. It took me a little bit to get into a flow. It takes time up front but now I won't have to do my hair all week. That is such a relief. I was spending 30 to 60 minutes a day between styling, retwisting, detangling and moisturizing. This is definitely better.

Here are my coils I did on Friday. I added earrings and that made them look better. My SO liked them and so did my girlfriend. I used to get this done at the salon. Glad I can do them myself. So I will be doing these weekly at least until January.

They aren't fresh. I slept on them two days. Last night I didn't have my bonnet. They held up pretty well considering.

Ooh that came out cute!

I on the other hand ran around today looking like a troll doll. My hair is a hot mess you guys lol I don't know how I'm going to get through this grow out process. I'm much to lazy for this lol

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Ooh that came out cute!

I on the other hand ran around today looking like a troll doll. My hair is a hot mess you guys lol I don't know how I'm going to get through this grow out process. I'm much to lazy for this lol

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Thank You Mz.MoMo5235.

:lol: at the troll doll. I can so relate. I have had many of those days.

I also feel you on it being a lot of work. Hang in there and hopefully you will find an easy style you like to wear.

Back