TWA Support Thread

So I was going to put some box braids in my hair to give me a break from looking at my orphan Annie fro... But these braiding chicas have lost their daggone mind with prices! Now I know why I never wear weave! I'm too cheap! Lmfao

So I was going to put some box braids in my hair to give me a break from looking at my orphan Annie fro... But these braiding chicas have lost their daggone mind with prices! Now I know why I never wear weave! I'm too cheap! Lmfao

Yes it is pricey. I am still debating whether I am going to put in extensions myself. So far the answer is no. But I will consider month by month. I have several packs of Marley Braid hair, so I can do it anytime I have a free weekend.

Hi ladies! I know it's been a long time but that's because I've been working on my regimen and I am pleased to say that I'm making very good progress :)

To help with my shedding, which honestly isn't a lot anymore, it's just more than I like, I have added a few pieces of fresh garlic to deep conditioner that haven't made much difference for me. For example, I wanted to use up the last of my Nexxus Humectress and I had a jar of Silicon Mix. So I mixed them and put maybe 8 small pieces of garlic in it. I added a little oil and let it sit for about five days before I used it. I also added garlic to my castor scalp mix AND my black tea rinse lol. So on wash day I spritz and massage with the tea rinse, wait a little while, then apply the oil. While its in, I do house cleaning or exercise. The smell is downright atrocious! Barf. Then I shampoo lightly and apply the conditioner for about half an hour, taking care to massage still. Afterwards I do another light shampoo and then coat my hair in Tresemme Naturals conditioner while I detangle. I've only done this twice, but I've already noticed a decrease in my shedding. If I have to do this whole routine every week then gosh darnit I'm gonna do it til my shedding gets under control!

I dusted my ends tonight. I took off 1/4" to 1/2". I can still twist it, so thats good. Hopefully this will help my retention.

I'm thinking I want a blunt haircut and I'm trying to decide whether I should cut later when my hair grows out or now as it's growing? I cut the back & the sides 3 months after the BC & 8 months out I'm trying to decide if I should do it again. Maybe just the back?

I'm going to straighten for Christmas. That will be 10 months.

My ends feel much better today. I unraveled my twists this morning with no snagging. I felt a few SSKs and cut those out as I ran into them. I'm sure I have some more but they are minimal.

I spritzed my hair with CD Tui Leave-in and then coated it with a moisturizer (not sure which one) and twisted. I think the TUI left my hair hard but I have great definition today. I also have great shine. So today it looks more like a twist out than a fro.

I ddont think I'm a twa anymore. Stretched, My back layers are at the neck. The crown, though, has 2inches before it even hits the top of my ears *sigh*. Shrunk it looks like 1" all over.

Too late to join the sl challenge, and in some areas I stil twa qualify so I will hang here til the end of the year. Hope no one minds :look:

I ddont think I'm a twa anymore. Stretched, My back layers are at the neck. The crown, though, has 2inches before it even hits the top of my ears *sigh*. Shrunk it looks like 1" all over.

Too late to join the sl challenge, and in some areas I stil twa qualify so I will hang here til the end of the year. Hope no one minds :look:

Lucky you. Definitely hang out until the end of the year. A new SL challenge will be starting soon. Just give it another month or two. The progress you make in the next two months will just put you further along.

lol good point faithVA

Its so sad, even when it stretched to SL I couldnt even make pony because the shringage gets it down to literally the length of my thumb :nono: Probably wont be able to make a substantial pony or attempt a bun until APL. O' course, then it will shrink to the length of my middle finger. :lachen:

lovin these crochet braids, btw.

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];17075285]lol good point @faithVA

Its so sad, even when it stretched to SL I couldnt even make pony because the shringage gets it down to literally the length of my thumb :nono: Probably wont be able to make a substantial pony or attempt a bun until APL. O' course, then it will shrink to the length of my middle finger. :lachen:

lovin these crochet braids, btw.

Can you make a puff? I will consider myself out of twa stage when I can do a puff. Because there are a few styles I can wear between twa and bun. I won't ever have a pony. My curl is too tight for that.

My 1st stage is puff,
....then twists,
....flat twists,
....twist outs that don't look like a fro
....1/2 of my twists in a bun,
....a claw clip bun,
Never got to the next two but was close
....fully twisted bun.
.... then maybe a full bun.

Last edited:
I bc'd Thursday night. I have about 1/4 inch of hair.
No regimen as of yet.
Took out braids and hair was breaking off, so I decided to bc-
I am also a super slow grower.
I barely have a twa.

liloneonpc said:
No regimen as of yet.
I barely have a twa.

:welcome: :bighug:

What are your plans? Will u be wearing your hair out or hiding it? I also BC'ed out of frustration. This is a place to vent or get help so don't be a stranger!

No regimen as of yet.
I barely have a twa.

Enjoy your new freedom liloneonpc. At 1/4 of hair, it doesn't get any easier. It is the ultimate wash and go. :yep:

My twa is growing slowly but surely. I dusted 1/4" to 1/2" and can still twist it fairly easily and was able to put in flat twists last night in less than 1 hour. It may have been 30 minutes but I didn't time it.

This morning I am wearing a head band and I am able to push it back further, like I like it and I still have hair up and over it :yay: Before it just looked weird. Hopefully by the end of the year or end of January I will be back in a puff.

:welcome: :bighug:

What are your plans? Will u be wearing your hair out or hiding it? I also BC'ed out of frustration. This is a place to vent or get help so don't be a stranger!
I will be wearing it out and hiding it.
Went online and brought a wig just in case.
Not really a wig person, but you never know.

I have a stupid question I just ordered some Shea butter from butters-n-bars and well how do you use it? Do you melt it first or whip it I don't know please help!!

I took out my kinky twists after a month. Going for a sew-in tomorrow. (praying she can catch my hair). Will post pics depending on the outcome. Depending on how I fare with the sew-in, I just ma make it my signature style for the long term.

Little by little its growing. Today while applying my conditioner I used clips to section off my hair and apply conditioner. First time I have been able to do that. Still not long enough to braid or twist in sections but it's a start.

Pulled my hair up to see how far I am from a puff. If I keep my ends in good shape, I think a puff is in my future in February. The front is ready for a puff, but my back grows slower so it needs more time.

UPDATE: my hairs still in the awkward stage but I managed to get it in only five flat twists going back last night! When i first bc I'd say I would do about ten. Yay, progress! I'm hoping to be sl by February. My back layer is about an inch away.

UPDATE: my hairs still in the awkward stage but I managed to get it in only five flat twists going back last night! When i first bc I'd say I would do about ten. Yay, progress! I'm hoping to be sl by February. My back layer is about an inch away.

You have a lot of hair. This is a good stage to be in. You can do a quite a bit at this stage. Congratulations.

Back