TWA Support Thread

Thank you very much for these details...as always my LHCF come through with great suggestions. I trust that something will work out and I am willing to experiment with these ideas and see if I notice a difference over time. :)

Just read a blog about dry/brittle natural hair. The steps listed were:

1. Leave in conditioner: The 1st leave in is a light one to detangle the hair. The focus is on slip not moisture.

2. Oil: To seal detangling session in and provide more slip

3. MOISTURIZER: Rich butter or moisturizing leave in like Oyin hair dew or QB AOHC, no focus on slip just intense lasting moisture

4. styler: Depends upon the style light gel, curl cream, mousse, heavy gel, or pomade

Maybe my problem is that I thought a leave in and moisturizer were the same thing???? :thud:

This is the format I use. I added some information behind why some of us do it this way.

Does anybody know of a good gel to use on my hair? I've tried FOTE aloe Vera gel but it dries my hair out too much. TIA :)

I use EcoStyler Gel from Sally's :yep:. Its a natural gel. I usually dilute mine a bit with a bit of water in my hands when I rub them together before I apply the gel to my hair. However, I make sure that I use a leavin in, then a moisturizer before I add the gel so that my hair is not rock hard. I needed to experiment with this in order to get the right consistency.

Attachments

• EcoStyler Sally's.jpg
    EcoStyler Sally's.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 9
lisanaturally Flaxseed gel is great. As far as commercial gels go, I always apply them over a leave-in followed by oil and they don't dry my hair out that way. You can also put a curl activator gel underneath your styling gel too. My hair like aloe vera gel but again, I apply it over my leave-in and oil.

A comforting comment for struggling TWA styling:

While getting ready for a work related conference on Friday, I lamented my 2nd day BKO. Although BKO is my fave protective style since I can use more hair in a knot than a twist thus it does not take a lot of time, it stretches my hair and I can wear it for 3 days, I dont like that the curls I achieved by wrapping the twist and tucking it under quit mid-day on day 1.

Anyway, I went to the conference and I saw several naturals including one who I haven't seen since my relaxed days. She loved my hair! I told her it was 2nd day BKO. She looked surprised and said "BKO don't last a day in my hair!" I was relieved - I'm not the only one. You see, she had what I consider 4a/3c hair. I thought that if I had a looser curl pattern than my 4b I would get better results in this humid climate. I'm sure that some can rock the curls of a BKO longer but I am comforted knowing that looser curl pattern naturals also struggle w/ styling options too.

FYI - I've always used small black rubber bands to hold the knot together. I noticed however that the bands break my ends. Next time no bands. Just a heads up for those who are considering doing the same thing.

anyone have curl cream or curl avtivator gel recommendeation. Eco made my hair hard and I just bought IC over the weekend, tried it this morning and had a head full of WHITE! Im so frustrated already already and Im only a couple weeks into my big chop. I did the steps above...light products and light handed and still had a full white head and might I add that not one curl popped with the IC Olive oil gel. Anyways, Im gonna go back to Eco Styler and pick up a jar and try that. Sorry for venting just frustrated. My goal is a super moisturized yet beautiful twa/fade. Maybe my hair isnt meant to curl. I gotta look into that.

[USER=30911 said:
Smiley79[/USER];16999113]anyone have curl cream or curl avtivator gel recommendeation. Eco made my hair hard and I just bought IC over the weekend, tried it this morning and had a head full of WHITE! Im so frustrated already already and Im only a couple weeks into my big chop. I did the steps above...light products and light handed and still had a full white head and might I add that not one curl popped with the IC Olive oil gel. Anyways, Im gonna go back to Eco Styler and pick up a jar and try that. Sorry for venting just frustrated. My goal is a super moisturized yet beautiful twa/fade. Maybe my hair isnt meant to curl. I gotta look into that.

Go ahead and vent. This is the right place.

Don't buy too much. You need to figure out your hair.

Do you have curls before your apply the gel? at least a little? if not then gel may not do a lot for it.

If you want help, let us know. We need to know what products you used.

Do you have a picture of your hair?

Go ahead and vent. This is the right place.

Don't buy too much. You need to figure out your hair.

Do you have curls before your apply the gel? at least a little? if not then gel may not do a lot for it.

If you want help, let us know. We need to know what products you used.

Do you have a picture of your hair?

Thanks @faithVA...well not really, the hair is just there...like a Florida Evans...I just did my BC a couple weeks ago it is super short now but I would love some sort of definition. Thats why I was wondering maybe I just dont have curls. :sad: good idea, I dont have any pics now, i can get to that though. Products: cowash with Suave, Cassia every other week, DC with AO WC or Silicone Mix. Leave in Organix Leave in. I do the GHE method...i seal with olive oil. Those are my basics...i keep it pretty simple. Oh and I am interested in trying Roux porosity control this week; not familiar with them but I am interested in giving it a try.

Last edited:
I just BCD. How do you ladies plan on caring and styling your hair for the winter?

Congratulations on your BC!

I'm wigging it all winter long! I'm still trying to decide if I like being natural, therefore I haven't been wearing my hair out. I don't like how short I cut it. :ohwell: I can't wait until it's long enough to sport twist-outs and banktu knot out styles. In order to encourage growth, I've been applying my sulfur mixture every night and baggying. I cowash 5-6 days per week. I M&S every morning. I shampoo/DC weekly.

Thanks @faithVA...well not really, the hair is just there...like a Florida Evans...I just did my BC a couple weeks ago it is super short now but I would love some sort of definition. Thats why I was wondering maybe I just dont have curls. :sad: good idea, I dont have any pics now, i can get to that though. Products: cowash with Suave, Cassia every other week, DC with AO WC or Silicone Mix. Leave in Organix Leave in. I do the GHE method...i seal with olive oil. Those are my basics...i keep it pretty simple. Oh and I am interested in trying Roux porosity control this week; not familiar with them but I am interested in giving it a try.

Smiley79,

Ha-Ha, at least twice a week, my dh looks at me and says "Dam, Dam, Dam!!" :lol: I just hate that! He thinks its so funny-calling me Florida Evans!

As for as gel recommendations, Have you tried Kimmay-tube leave in recipe? I made a batch last week for dd and I mixed in two dollops of Eco-Styler gel. The consistency is custard like. It gives my dd great definition when doing twists or bantu knot out. She has very, very, tightly coiled hair.

I don't like using gel on my hair. I did try CD Hair Pudding and it was OK. I also spent $15 on a curl defining gel from the stylist that did my BC, but it leaves my hair dry. So, I'm done with gels. I just style with conditioners (CG method), let it airdry, M&S and plop on my wig.

lol@ you DH. Thanks for the tip. Im open to try that because my hair has a love hate relationship with gel...lots of white film and little to no defintion. Waste of my time. I am keepign note of all these tips to gradually try different methods until I find the right fit for my hair. This is an amazing process tryign to figure what my hair needs and wants. smh.

Look at some of the heads in this thread and see if you see one that looks like yours. That may give you some idea on the gel thing. If it looks like mine, gel is a no :lol: But if it looks like anyone elses you stand a chance. I have no definition to speak of.

Why Roux porosity control? Are you having porosity issues? If you are low porosity it won't work for you. If your normal you don't need it. But if you are high porosity then it should work fine.

I wore my knotty fro to my interview today. It was cute to me :lol: A few years ago I wouldn't have dared to wear my hair like this.

The length in the front of my hair is fantastic. I wish the rest of my hair would catch up :yep: Maybe 30 more days will do it. I need to dust but some of my hair is too short. And ssk's or not, I need that length.

faithVA said:
I wore my knotty fro to my interview today. It was cute to me :lol: A few years ago I wouldn't have dared to wear my hair like this.

The length in the front of my hair is fantastic. I wish the rest of my hair would catch up :yep: Maybe 30 more days will do it. I need to dust but some of my hair is too short. And ssk's or not, I need that length.

Hope u get the job!! I'm in the same boat as u with u except my sides are short(er) as well.

First of all faithVA I hope you get the job girl! As far as hair you do look like my hair twin, lol. My hair just looks dryer than yours. Yours looks well moisturized. Overall, it is similar. This morning I pulled out a bottle of S-curl spray I had lying around. I will try that for some days and see how it goes too. As my hair grows out from this fade, I will keep my fingers crossed that I have some curls eventually, lol.

Last edited:
I'm super late to this party lol But here it goes any way

1. I've actually been natural for 7 years. But I did my second big chop Aug '11. My last hair cut was May '12

2. Hair type/ describe your hair
Kinky, curly. 4/a, dense and thick . The strands are are thin though. I been taking b vits to keep my hair strong

3. Reggie/Products

Deep con once a week using Shea Moisture Mask Deep conditioner. Keep hair in twist 3-4 days and twist out the other days. Mist with water/glycerine/olive oil mixture.

4. Goal(s)
Ultimate goal is mid back length. But for the next 12 months its to grow and retain 6 inches of hair. I can do it :-)

Wecome Herbanite. You will like it here.

I am at the stage where I feel like I need to do something with my hair :perplexed. It's looking like BAA (at least in my mind) but it is too short to put into a ponytail and I cannot do braids (my scalp can't take the stress of braid and weaves) :nono:. Is anyone else at this stage? Are you putting your hair in twists, hiding your hair? Need some advice. I am on the job market and super concerned about finding a style that works for me.

anyone have curl cream or curl avtivator gel recommendeation. Eco made my hair hard and I just bought IC over the weekend, tried it this morning and had a head full of WHITE! Im so frustrated already already and Im only a couple weeks into my big chop. I did the steps above...light products and light handed and still had a full white head and might I add that not one curl popped with the IC Olive oil gel. Anyways, Im gonna go back to Eco Styler and pick up a jar and try that. Sorry for venting just frustrated. My goal is a super moisturized yet beautiful twa/fade. Maybe my hair isnt meant to curl. I gotta look into that.

Hugs)))))))) :bighug:. I use a combination of things to get a soft but defined look. I also wear a WNG daily and I use it as a protective style, but am looking to do something else as my hair is growing and I need to switch things up:

#1 Combo: home made leave in, then ORS Curls Unleashed, then MJ Curly Pudding or Eco Styler

#2 Combo: home made leave in, then Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, then MJ CP or Eco Styler.

#3 Combo: home made leave in, Curl Activator mixed with Glycerin (SCurl is the most moisturizing for my hair), Eco Styler.

I alternate with these three combos. My hair uses alot of product and I have learned from trial and error over the years that this gives me the most moisturized hair without the crunch. It may not work for everyone though. HTH.

Things have been going pretty well. I think I'll start using heavier conditioners for CW now that it's getting cooler. I bought a trial size of Paul Mitchell the conditioner and I love it!! I'm thinking of using it over KCKT or to refresh second day hair if I find daily CW too cumbersome for fall/winter. I can't figure out how to make oils/butters work for me. They seem to never penetrate

Last edited:
I thought my hair was 5" to 6" before I chopped. And I was able to wear a puff. My hair is 4" now and nowhere near close to being able to wear a puff. Not sure how I got it so wrong. Don't see a puff in my near future.

How are y'all tweaking your reggies as the weather cools down? I'm still going to try for daily co washing :drunk:

Not changing much. I am still cowashing/washing my hair 2x a week in the evening. So it is dry by the morning. The only thing I have added is oiling my scalp during the week because my scalp is drying out.

My SO asked me when I would be able to do something different with my hair. I told him I wish I knew :ohwell: It's only about 3". I will need another 3" to put it in a puff. So that looks like around April of next year. I am considering putting in extensions in November to give me a break for a month or two. I will see how October goes.

Back