TWA Support Thread

faithVA

I did my first banded baby fro, and I am so happy. Thanks for the styling ideas. TWA ladies, I really think you should all join me in wearing a banded afro while your hair is short. It really dresses up short afro textured hair.

@faithVA

I did my first banded baby fro, and I am so happy. Thanks for the styling ideas. TWA ladies, I really think you should all join me in wearing a banded afro while your hair is short. It really dresses up short afro textured hair.

http://lunapic.com

It looks good on you. Girl we can't all do that. Some of us would look crazy :lol:

My curls are too tight to band and have them look good. I can band when i do a twist out. But I only do it sometimes becaues I don't like to stress my edges.

DarkJoy xu93texas Lol, I was so excited I blogged about it on my blog. Thank you.

I did quite a bit to get my hair like that.

I did my onion mask overnight, moisture dc, detangling leave in, creamy butter, sealed with a light gel. Shea on the ends and edges. Finally I used a scarf to scoot my hair back into a banded afro.

Seamonster your banded baby fro is textured full and shinny - great job! I wish I can join you in a banded fro but my kinks shrink so tight that it will roll that band right off my head and no amount of gel can force them to lay flat like that. :lachen:

Seamonster your banded baby fro is textured full and shinny - great job! I wish I can join you in a banded fro but my kinks shrink so tight that it will roll that band right off my head and no amount of gel can force them to lay flat like that. :lachen:

You got me cracking up imaging hair saying 'Band you ain't got to go home, but you got to get up off of me.' :lachen:

I refused to twist my hair last night so today I have to pay the price with this shrunken fro :nono: It doesn't look terrible, but it's not my favorite :nono:

Where's that whining emoticon when I need it :lol:

Ok how can I get my TWA to stop flaking...no matter what I use I get flakes...today I didnt even use gel...I just used my 6 N 1 and my Oyin Honey dew and that was it...I sealed with EVOO and a coworker comes to my head and starts picking white stuff. Im sick of this! Its so annoying. Needless to say when i use my Eco Styler or Long Aid Gel, forget it, I look like Im wearing a white beanie.

Any suggestions on combatting a flaky head dilemma?

Ok how can I get my TWA to stop flaking...no matter what I use I get flakes...today I didnt even use gel...I just used my 6 N 1 and my Oyin Honey dew and that was it...I sealed with EVOO and a coworker comes to my head and starts picking white stuff. Im sick of this! Its so annoying. Needless to say when i use my Eco Styler or Long Aid Gel, forget it, I look like Im wearing a white beanie.

Any suggestions on combatting a flaky head dilemma?

I would say if your hair is flaking that much then the products are too heavy for your hair and not absorbing. If you put the oil before the dew, then you may have closed your cuticle and then put a product on top of it which could then not absorb.

I am just guessing because your hair is different than mine. Here are a few things to try.
1. Try a lighter oil.
2. Try diluting products just a bit.
3. Try bagging or sitting under a heat cap for a few minutes in between product applications to add a bit of heat to get it to absorb.

You are having product conflicts.

Idk what 6N1 is but if its an oil then yea faithVA is spot on. The order of products to avoid flakes and seal in moisture should generally be:
1. Water based product (eg, leave in)
2. Butters/creamy stuff
2a. gels
3. Oils

Sometimes I switch up 2 (or 2a) & 3 but I generally gotta wait for the white head to fade.

Last edited:
Yes, that;s the order that I do it...
1. Spray distilled water and EVOO
2. a cream (Oyin Honey Dew or the creamy One 6N1 hair moisturizer)
3. Gel (if Im gellin' that day)
4. Oil to seal (EVOO or Sweet Almond Oil)

I am not heavy handed either. I have a big chop/fade so less than a dime size is enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep experimenting. :(

I've only just now been able to really use oil in my hair. Up until recently most products were just too much and I would have product build up, flaking, and irritated scalp. Less may be more for you at this point

Today I had the most moronic conversation about hair. I think I lost valuable brain cells. We still have a long way to go on black hair education.... Ugh

[USER=30911 said:
Smiley79[/USER];16965091]Yes, that;s the order that I do it...
1. Spray distilled water and EVOO
2. a cream (Oyin Honey Dew or the creamy One 6N1 hair moisturizer)
3. Gel (if Im gellin' that day)
4. Oil to seal (EVOO or Sweet Almond Oil)

I am not heavy handed either. I have a big chop/fade so less than a dime size is enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep experimenting. :(

I think your step 2 is too heavy. I would try something lighter.

Tonight I reached another milestone. I can separate my hair into sections. It was 20 sections :lol: but it was still sections. So I was able to separate and then gel and oil each section and detangle it. That is a first. It also made it easier to twist up my hair after.

Maybe in another month I will have enough growth to cowash 2x a week instead of one.

Does anyone else have this problem and how can I resolve it:

My hair is never soft and moisturized. If I don't apply my leave in on soaking wet hair then it doesn't absorb well and is frizzy. My curls dry well defined but kinda crunchy. moisturizing dry hair is a no go. I use KCKT which I like because it's thin. Any suggestions??

APrayer4Hair I have the EXACT same problem...my hair is only super moisturized for the hour that I finished cowashing/styling it...after that, I'm back to Brillo Pad! That's how come I threw in the towel the last time I was natural, I couldn't deal with the dryness despite having tried EVERYTHING under the sun. I literally mean 2+ years of trying everything! But this time I'm not giving up on my hair due to the dryness dilemma but it is very frustrating. Something is going to have to work and I aim to find it! I plan to expirement with Glycerin though. I cant wait to hear more feedback.

My hair is never soft and moisturized. If I don't apply my leave in on soaking wet hair then it doesn't absorb well and is frizzy. My curls dry well defined but kinda crunchy. moisturizing dry hair is a no go. I use KCKT which I like because it's thin. Any suggestions??

I also have this problem. Actually I have all of the problems you have listed. But I have not found a solution as of yet.

@APrayer4Hair I have the EXACT same problem...my hair is only super moisturized for the hour that I finished cowashing/styling it...after that, I'm back to Brillo Pad! That's how come I threw in the towel the last time I was natural, I couldn't deal with the dryness despite having tried EVERYTHING under the sun. I literally mean 2+ years of trying everything! But this time I'm not giving up on my hair due to the dryness dilemma but it is very frustrating. Something is going to have to work and I aim to find it! I plan to expirement with Glycerin though. I cant wait to hear more feedback.

APrayer4Hair and Smiley79 I seemed to have contained my dryness issues by eliminating poos altogether. My hair further convinced me that lighter oils and leave ins hydrates it better than heavy/creamy products. However it took me a while to figure this out. A lot of trial and error on my part.

Cruzankink thanks for the suggestions. Can you please give me examples of what light oils and light leave-ins are. This is not the first time I have been told to consider that so I am curious to learn more. Also, as far as eliminating poos, since I use a Sulfate free poo (by ElastaQp) do you think the poo could still be a cause of hair dryness. I only use it about once every week or two weeks. And yes I will continue with the trial and error in the meantime. It's like figuring out a riddle, lol.

Can you please give me examples of what light oils and light leave-ins are. This is not the first time I have been told to consider that so I am curious to learn more. Also, as far as eliminating poos, since I use a Sulfate free poo (by ElastaQp) do you think the poo could still be a cause of hair dryness. I only use it about once every week or two weeks. And yes I will continue with the trial and error in the meantime. It's like figuring out a riddle, lol.

@Smiley79 Out of all the leave-in I've tried, I've had the most success w/ Giovanni Direct Leave In. My fine, tightly coiled 4b hair loves its light non-creamy formula. The creamy LI that I've used don't work as well.

EVCO is my #1 oil. I used EVOO as my prepoo, but when I switched to EVCO, the moisture retention was apparant. I have consider EVOO medium oil, it still works for me as a sealer w/o weighing my hair down. Although I've never tried them, grapeseed and sweet almond oil are lite oils. In the coming weeks, I'm planning on buying a bottle of either one to replace my EVOO. Heavy oils, particularly Castor do not work for me at all.

When I BC, I prepood, washed w/ low poo, DC and tried every moisturizing product/treatment I heard of. Yet, I could never understand why my hair still felt dry. When I started a no poo reggie (as part of my intro to CG), my hair got softer and softer w/ each passing week. For whatever reason I low pooed again and immediately my hair reverted to a dry frizzy mess. I've been strictly CW/cleansing cons for about 2 mnths and my hair is soft and retains moisture. Try a no poo diet (use only cleansing cons) for 4 weeks to see how your hair reacts.

PS - Are you still BKTing? Although I loved the looser curl pattern BKT provides, I had to stop b/c of the heat damage.

Last edited:
@Smiley79 Out of all the leave-in I've tried, I've had the most success w/ Giovanni Direct Leave In. My fine, tightly coiled 4b hair loves its light non-creamy formula. The creamy LI that I've used don't work as well.

EVCO is my #1 oil. I used EVOO as my prepoo, but when I switched to EVCO, the moisture retention was apparant. I have consider EVOO medium oil, it still works for me as a sealer w/o weighing my hair down. Although I've never tried them, grapeseed and sweet almond oil are lite oils. In the coming weeks, I'm planning on buying a bottle of either one to replace my EVOO. Heavy oils, particularly Castor do not work for me at all.

When I BC, I prepood, washed w/ low poo, DC and tried every moisturizing product/treatment I heard of. Yet, I could never understand why my hair still felt dry. When I started a no poo reggie (as part of my intro to CG), my hair got softer and softer w/ each passing week. For whatever reason I low pooed again and immediately my hair reverted to a dry frizzy mess. I've been strictly CW/cleansing cons for about 2 mnths and my hair is soft and retains moisture. Try a no poo diet (use only cleansing cons) for 4 weeks to see how your hair reacts.

PS - Are you still BKTing? Although I loved the looser curl pattern BKT provides, I had to stop b/c of the heat damage.

sunflower oil is also a light oil. It is my favorite :yep:

I don't use the Giovanni, but I have found diluting my leave-in to work vry well for me. Nothing works straight but more things work when I dilute it.

Plan to try a conditioning cleanser soon.

Just read a blog about dry/brittle natural hair. The steps listed were:

1. Leave in conditioner
2. Oil
3. MOISTURIZER
4. styler

Maybe my problem is that I thought a leave in and moisturizer were the same thing???? :thud:

Thank you so much for the detailed tips, I will try that for a month. What is CG and cleansing cons?

1. Leave in conditioner
2. Oil
3. MOISTURIZER
4. styler

Maybe my problem is that I thought a leave in and moisturizer were the same thing???? :thud:

Maybe I will try this. I don't use a styler. But I will try using my leave-in, oil and then some creamy something.

Plan to try a conditioning cleanser soon.

@faithVA I think your hair would respond well to cleansing cons. You're learning that diluted products work best for you - that's progress!

1. Leave in conditioner
2. Oil
3. MOISTURIZER
4. styler

@APrayer4Hair Interesting :scratchch.... I also thought a leave in was the moisturizer. What products would classify as a moisturizer if not a leave in? :confused:

Thank you so much for the detailed tips, I will try that for a month. What is CG and cleansing cons?

@Smiley79 CG means Curly Girl method in essence no cones or harsh sulfates. (There are threads on LHCF on CG and theres a ton of info online). I however, went a step further and obstained from all fates, including low poos and my hair loves it. Cleansing cons means cleansing conditioners - conditioners w/ ingredients that clean the scalp/hair. That way you have the benefit of a clean scalp/hair w/o the stripping effect of poos. I'm using SM Purification Masque as a cleansing con. I read great reviews on 'As I Am Coconut Cowash' sold at Sallys.

Last edited:
Back