TWA Support Thread

I was gonna post this in the Struggling thread in more detail but thought maybe what just happened to me might help @APrayer4Hair and @faithVA.

My dryness and extreme shrinkage (like 80+%) have all but disappeared. What happened?

Water filter!

It removes 99% chlorine and other chemicals and minerals. When I've washed these last 2 times, my hair didn't shrink down to nothing. And it feels softer even as I rinse.

You've all spent hundreds on product. Why not $20 on a shower head filter...? Its amazing really.

I love my water filter! It makes my hair feel so much softer.

Rant: I've been getting a lot of knots in my hair since its getting longer :sad:. I detangle, moisturize, then cover it with a bonnet before I go to bed but it still ends up with knots :perplexed.

Thanx DarkJoy i will be checking that out. OAN: I moisturized with garnier fructis sleek n shine leave in. Seems ok. Anything I use on my hair seems to leave a cast.

I've been wanting to try a shower filter. Not for hair but for my skin.
my shower filter has been a LIFESAVER :yep: for my hair and my skin. there is a major difference in softness of hair and so much less dry skin since i've been using it for six months. the only reason i know how long it's been is because i set up an auto renewal on my credit card to replace the filter at the six month time and the new filter came about a month ago. i can't be trusted to remember---LOL. i can hardly wait to see what happens to my skin this winter. i'm hoping and expecting not to have to scrub dead and dry skin as often (practically three times per week) since i won't have all those deadly city water chemicals that are in my hard water!! all summer i have not HAD to scrub although i did once per month.

I am so annoyed with my hair today. Ugh! And it's so short, its not like I can pull it up into a pony or bun.

Been flirting with the idea of mini twists for winter. Unfortunately, I work in a very conservative yt corporate environment so it's giving me pause. My fall back has been extension braids, but knowing now what I know about my hair, extension braiding has never done me any favors...

So...mini twists for my job? Maybe... I saw this vid (and her hair texture is dang twining mine!) so it might work... IDK

mini twists on short natural hair

I am so annoyed with my hair today. Ugh! And it's so short, its not like I can pull it up into a pony or bun.

Been flirting with the idea of mini twists for winter. Unfortunately, I work in a very conservative yt corporate environment so it's giving me pause. My fall back has been extension braids, but knowing now what I know about my hair, extension braiding has never done me any favors...

So...mini twists for my job? Maybe... I saw this vid (and her hair texture is dang twining mine!) so it might work... IDK

mini twists on short natural hair

Can you wig it?

I at least got 2 day hair out of my twists. And if it hadn't been so dry I may have made 3 days :ohwell: So i mixed 1/2 cup of AVJ with the remaining S-Curl. I was hoping it would thin it out but it didn't. I put 1/2 cup of the mix on my hair to try to remoisturize it.

The S-Curl mix didn't work so well when I twisted it Sunday. Not sure how this will work. I will continue adding AVJ to see if I can get a certain ratio to work.

I have yet to figure out how to get more than 1 day hair lol. I have made some progress though: today I applied my leave in while IN the shower immediately after CW. This seems to help it to sink in. Only downside is it makes my hair shrink something terrible. As it gets colder I'm thinking about using some type of grease to seal my hair.

@SouthernStunner Congrats on your 1 mo anniversary!
@DarkJoy I think minitwist are a great styling option and should last for a few days.

I will be 6 mo natural in October. Like many of you, when I BC I drove myself crazy and broke trying to find the best products for my kinky tightly coiled 4b TWA. I've had few successes and a whole lot of failures but I think I've finally found my staple products. Although I know that what works for me may not work for some of you, I hope this all natural compilation provides options not previously considered that does not break the bank.

1. Mid-week CW - Tresemme Naturals (great slip, moisturizing and cheap)
  2. Weekend CW - SM Purification Masque (great poo substitute, uber moisturizing, cleans w/o stripping hair, detangles, and relatively cheap)
  3. Prepoo - Coconut Oil (light, super moisturizing, penetrates my hair very well)
  4. Leave-In - Giovanni Direct Leave In (light moisturizer; leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized all day, cheap)
  5. Sealer for twist, bantu knots - QB Hydrate & Twist Butter (just need a small amount, seals w/o weighing hair, washes out well, works well w/ Giovanni DLI)
  6. Sealer WnG and daily sealing: EVOO (adds shine, works well w/ Giovanni DLI, cheap)
  7. Protein - Quinoa (strengthens, penetrates well, can leave in all day/nite w/o terrible itching; detangles hair, no brillo effect)
  8. Deep Con: Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme (super moisturizing, great slip, moisture lasts, strengthens hair, can buy in bulk)

Congrats SouthernStunner! Its a whole new wonderful world! Welcome!

faithVA and Cruzankink I personally would be THRILLED to do mini twists. I just get so friggin annoyed with being the first and only blaack woman in this 15year, 100 person company. The slightest change in my hair and it literally takes weeks for these white ppl to stop gawking and asking dumbass questions. I stopped the wigs a year ago this month and they were floored at my 'fro. 2weeks of slapping hands away. Like I'm a circus freak! This is san francisco, not bumfruckegypt either!

If it werent for that, id be doin all kinds of stuff with my natural. Id love to try mini twists and braids, stuffed twists, my wigs, huge phoney buns and tails. I could bring it! just hate feeling like an exotic fish in a tank everytime I do.

Dang. Sorry. How'd that turn into a rant? :look:

Congrats @SouthernStunner! Its a whole new wonderful world! Welcome!

@faithVA and @Cruzankink I personally would be THRILLED to do mini twists. I just get so friggin annoyed with being the first and only blaack woman in this 15year, 100 person company. The slightest change in my hair and it literally takes weeks for these white ppl to stop gawking and asking dumbass questions. I stopped the wigs a year ago this month and they were floored at my 'fro. 2weeks of slapping hands away. Like I'm a circus freak! This is san francisco, not bumfruckegypt either!

If it werent for that, id be doin all kinds of stuff with my natural. Id love to try mini twists and braids, stuffed twists, my wigs, huge phoney buns and tails. I could bring it! just hate feeling like an exotic fish in a tank everytime I do.

I think if you reframe the whole situation you can enjoy it much more. I am usually the only black person at many companies I work for. I didn't work at as large as yours, but my company was 44 people. I have worked with all white men both blue collar and white collar. I think reframe it so you don't see their curiousity and interest as being a circus freak. Enjoy the conversation, enjoy the people and let it be, as long as they aren't being intentionally offensive. That's just my take. I don't think it has to be a big deal if you don't make it one.

For some reason we are ok with people checking out our shoes but for some reason not our hair. You can enjoy it if you let yourself enjoy it.

I am an exotic fish :yep: Hate me because I'm beautiful :lol:

I am rocking my fro, my mini twists and whatever else I can rock. I am going to my first interview tomorrow with my twa :yep: People will stare and I will turn around and smile at them and give them, yeah I know I'm beautiful, check me out look :yep:

I loved practicing it in Portland. You can use those situations to feel fabulous or not. It's really up to you.

Well guys I am getting to the end of my TWA stage, I think this qualifies as a baby afro. I don't know that I could make any of the other challenge goals with only three months left in the year. Next year, after I trim all my final thin ends, I should be able to jump back on the big hair boards.

This BC has been great, my hair is staying healthy. the length increases have been slow because I am constantly trimming. Still I am very proud of my short hair, and I get a lot of compliments. Hopefully it encourages someone else to BC. really miss out on all the fun. Having the confidence to rock that TWA at first is mind blowing. Then finding styles that look good is quite a challenge. Seems like when I just about learned how to style my TWA, it grew into this baby afro.

I kinda think baby afros look better on guys, so I have to learn what styles look cute at this length. I am determined to show my community that we can look good with our natural hair at any length.

PS: I just did a video asking about my wig, and a lot of guys said they like my short hair better. Isn't that sweet. TWA's rock!
Transitioners

Well guys I am getting to the end of my TWA stage, I think this qualifies as a baby afro. I don't know that I could make any of the other challenge goals with only three months left in the year. Next year, after I trim all my final thin ends, I should be able to jump back on the big hair boards.

This BC has been great, my hair is staying healthy. the length increases have been slow because I am constantly trimming. Still I am very proud of my short hair, and I get a lot of compliments. Hopefully it encourages someone else to BC. really miss out on all the fun. Having the confidence to rock that TWA at first is mind blowing. Then finding styles that look good is quite a challenge. Seems like when I just about learned how to style my TWA, it grew into this baby afro.

I kinda think baby afros look better on guys, so I have to learn what styles look cute at this length. I am determined to show my community that we can look good with our natural hair at any length.

PS: I just did a video asking about my wig, and a lot of guys said they like my short hair better. Isn't that sweet. TWA's rock!
Transitioners
http://lunapic.com

:yay: Good place to be. I know you will find plenty of styles that you like.

At your length, you can do puffs, twists, flat twists, banded fros, rod sets, roller sets, etc. etc. and put them in rotation.

How many inches do you have do you know?

Thanks faithVA. Unfortunately my hire caused a horrible stir. This is probably about more than hair. Comments made loud and near me: how can THEY eat THAT? Disgusting (on soul food); Obama would have made a better basketball player; yes, the vp hired her, but do you think she can write though? (I have two writing degrees btw); they can kind of be lazy; is she actually working?

I've worked 20 years with ultra-professional whites and this is the 2nd company where they are this bad. My changes in hairdo are smoke signals to these racist gawkers... simple curiosity I'm used to. This is above and beyond.

Anyway, I decided to try minitwists and start tomorrow after work since I'm off fridays and see how they look over the weekend...I worry about scraggly-ness since my hair is so fine.

Thanks @faithVA. Unfortunately my hire caused a horrible stir. This is probably about more than hair. Comments made loud and near me: how can THEY eat THAT? Disgusting (on soul food); Obama would have made a better basketball player; yes, the vp hired her, but do you think she can write though? (I have two writing degrees btw); they can kind of be lazy; is she actually working?

I've worked 20 years with ultra-professional whites and this is the 2nd company where they are this bad. My changes in hairdo are smoke signals to these racist gawkers... simple curiosity I'm used to. This is above and beyond.

Anyway, I decided to try minitwists and start tomorrow after work since I'm off fridays and see how they look over the weekend...I worry about scraggly-ness since my hair is so fine.

Ok I understand. Didn't understand your company was so bad. I have been fortunate and not have had to deal with that.

I understand the scraggly twist as well. My head usually looks pretty bad when I come to work :look: :ohwell: I try to make it look decent but it usually looks like I rolled right out of bed :lol: I was glad when my twist were finally long enough to bun because it did look better.

:yay: Good place to be. I know you will find plenty of styles that you like.

At your length, you can do puffs, twists, flat twists, banded fros, rod sets, roller sets, etc. etc. and put them in rotation.

How many inches do you have do you know?

I think I have six inches of hair. Those are some great ideas. I saw a banded fro on a lady this week end that looked so nice. I am going to try that for a function tomorrow.

Will have to work on a puff too, see if I can get it stretched enough to puff. Roller and rod sets, humm, I will have to you tube those for some ideas. It is time to break out the flat twist again. Thanks faithVA I hadn't thought of any of those ideas, but I love them all. :grin:

I think I have six inches of hair. Those are some great ideas. I saw a banded fro on a lady this week end that looked so nice. I am going to try that for a function tomorrow.

Will have to work on a puff too, see if I can get it stretched enough to puff. Roller and rod sets, humm, I will have to you tube those for some ideas. It is time to break out the flat twist again. Thanks @faithVA I hadn't thought of any of those ideas, but I love them all. :grin:

And I forgot twist outs. Not sure what i was thinking. I only have 3.5" of hair and I'm already doing twist outs. You have plenty. :yep:

Congrats @SouthernStunner! Its a whole new wonderful world! Welcome!

@faithVA and @Cruzankink I personally would be THRILLED to do mini twists. I just get so friggin annoyed with being the first and only blaack woman in this 15year, 100 person company. The slightest change in my hair and it literally takes weeks for these white ppl to stop gawking and asking dumbass questions. I stopped the wigs a year ago this month and they were floored at my 'fro. 2weeks of slapping hands away. Like I'm a circus freak! This is san francisco, not bumfruckegypt either!

@DarkJoy Girl hang in there. :ohwell: If you feel that mini-twist will rock the boat, then don't do it. Trust me, if I were in your situation, I too would seriously consider the impact a simple hairdo would have in my work environment. However, if you want to try various do's but are unsure how it would be accepted, try the strategy I call "planting the seed".

Make some twist or what ever your potential "do" is but just do a small section. After you've worn this "do" for whatever period, go back to your regular "do." Then later on comeback to the potential "do" but add more. So on and so forth, until you are able to fully rock the look you want. That way your colleagues can get comfortable with the look w/o it being such a shock.

Well guys I am getting to the end of my TWA stage, I think this qualifies as a baby afro.

This BC has been great, my hair is staying healthy. the length increases have been slow because I am constantly trimming. Still I am very proud of my short hair, and I get a lot of compliments.

Transitioners

@Seamonster Congrats on your baby fro!!! Your hair is B - U - T- ful!! I am glad your TWA experience has been fruitfull.

@DarkJoy Girl hang in there. :ohwell: If you feel that mini-twist will rock the boat, then don't do it. Trust me, if I were in your situation, I too would seriously consider the impact a simple hairdo would have in my work environment. However, if you want to try various do's but are unsure how it would be accepted, try the strategy I call "planting the seed".

Make some twist or what ever your potential "do" is but just do a small section. After you've worn this "do" for whatever period, go back to your regular "do." Then later on comeback to the potential "do" but add more. So on and so forth, until you are able to fully rock the look you want. That way your colleagues can get comfortable with the look w/o it being such a shock.
Thank you @Cruzankink. Yes, these crazy white folk gotta be eased into stuff. They freak, I pay for it. :spinning:

Lovin that 'fro @Seamonster!! It's so full and fluffy!
____
Last night I tried the flat twist out again. This time, instead of chunky, I opted for small. I made 12 (instead of 6) and put satin covered sponge rollers on the ends. The style came out much better and my hair is so stretched it looks like a month-old relaxer...

For course thick haired ladies that would be great! But my fine hair it just looks flat and sad. lol. wore it to work anyway (and still here--ssh!! :look:). I'll skip the rollers next time. TOO flat. Going out with friends after work so maybe I'll spritz with tea and let it revert a little.

I'm definately at the awkward stage--my bangs almost want hang time. Unfortunately, they are sticking straight out like a visor. I know I look weird... forgot to put bobby pins to hold it down!

I haven't found the right leave-in yet but my twist outs are nice and defined with just a leave-in. Wore my twa to an interview today. Thought my hair was so cute :grin:

I think I am going to get the job. So they will get to see me through my hair journey.

lisanaturally said:
Does anybody know of a good gel to use on my hair? I've tried FOTE aloe Vera gel but it dries my hair out too much. TIA :)

I haven't really mastered using gel on my hair but I do use ecostyler (blue or argan oil) to smooth sown my "baby hairs". I have KCCC but haven't really experimented with it.

Yesterday I experimented shingling for the first time. I used eco-olive oil and different leave ins. Results are as follows:

1. Giovanni DLI - shingling w/ DLI alone created great defintion and made coils pop but add the eco and it turned to a white mess then lost definition. Hair had average shrinkage.

2. SM CES - no definition when shingling alone worse when eco is added then hair turns white and looks dry. Hair had average shrinkage.

3. Paul Mitchell 'the Conditioner' - the Con provided the best coil definition of all and hair looked shinny and moist. The eco only enhanced the look and added hold. However the Con does not make my hair as soft as the DLI. The combo left a white residue but it melted away unlike the other leave ins. Hair shrunk more - I believe because it coiled up more.
*This product has silicones but water-soluble so is CG friendly.

I can't believe I waited this long to try shingling. My WnG today looks so much better! Once I perfect the technique I should get better results. As far as products are concerned, I've pretty much given up on SM CES. I tried to use it several different ways and I can't make it work for me anymore. I have used 'the Con' b/4 but I've never shingled so my results were not as dramatic. Now, its my go to leave in for WnGs. I'll continue using DLI just not when doing WnGs using eco. It provides the best moisture of all the leave ins I've tried.

Hope my experiments helps.

Congrats on your shingling! It takes a bit to get a technique down that works best AND avoid SSKs (watch out for those!) @Cruzankink. My own experiment concluded that my hair naps up too easy with the moisturizer on first, which leaves a barely textured afro that shrinks practically to a fade :nono:. Gel first ended up being the best for my hair--it weighs it down and gives it some length-time PLUS no reversion. Yes, it's crunchy but I don't have no one who's gonna be running his fangers through it anytime soon :look:.

Funny how we're all different in hair!

ETA: That CES is kinda hit or miss. Somedays its great. Others I just wanna throw it in the trash. After this is gone, don't think I'll repurchase.
_____

Update on my too straight flat twist out--a light mist was great to kink it up just enough! Love that our hair is SO versatile!

Unfortunately, don't think I'll have time to try mini twists unless I do them through the night tonight--and I was waaaaay too lazy to do it today. lol

Last edited:
Ladies what was I thinking. Why did I wait so long to try tresemme naturals conditioner?? That's some seriously good stuff! Geez

Back