TWA Support Thread

^^I don't think my hair has grown out enough yet to tell the difference.

Tonight instead of flat twists I put in Bantu knots. When I got half way I knew the back would be too hard. But I was able to put the back in single strand twists. Another inch all around will allow me to do bantu knots all over and it not be so difficult. So close and yet so far away :lol: I will probably still just end up with just a fro tomorrow after all of that work.

No pleased with my hair so far this week. It's frustrating me not styling properly. Think it's time for a clarify... time to bust out the bakin soda this weekend!

Reporting back:

My hair is definitely more moisturized with the method I used today. Still not at optimum moisture level though. And still battling frizzies.

Checking in. My hair is growing out and it is getting more difficult to manage :nono:. I ordered Curls Unleashed (ORS) last night as I need a styler that adds lots of moisture and this does the trick for my hair. I find that as my TWA grows, the products that I started off using begin to work differently :ohwell:, so I need to alter my reggie a bit.

Anyone going through the same issue of products not working as well anymore as your hair is growing?

YES. this is exactly why i always end up going back to a TWA. products that give me great curl definition and softness, just don't seem to work, and i find that my ends get dry and damaged easily. its altering products and styling for each phase that gets me.

I keep cutting my hair to basically the same length, but I think it is getting thicker, so I switched to Claudies Isha cream sealed with Claudies Iman butter, or Marie Deans Lemon Moosse sealed with canlendula hair balm. My hair is responding well to products with wax in them again. Maybe I can reduce my SSK's now.

TWA UPDATE: Work has been keeping me extraordinarily busy the last few weeks so my postings were few... @faithVA I'm pleased to read the progress you're making! @DarkJoy Your hair is too cute! @Lisaaa Bonet I also experienced changes w/ products once my hair got to a certain length. For me products worked differently mostly because my hair was heat damaged. Now that I cut off all of the damage (I hope) I can get more consistent results and not have to change products frequently.

My TWA is evolving. In a recent post I mentioned that I did a rod set which I loved! I only which that it lasted longer than 2 days (I pushed it to a 3rd day but I shouldn't of) considering the time it took to do the set. I've tried shingling my hair and the teeny coils that I thought disappeared w/ my heat texturized (i.e. damaged) hair showed up. They just needed a li'l coaxing... OK... a lot of coaxing. :grin:

The last few weeks have been promising. My hair is long enough that I am switching around styles like WnG, Bantu Knot outs, Twist outs, rod sets. I discovered that when I do WnG back-to-back my hair shrinks and dries out more than when I do it in between other styles. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics.

Last edited:
[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];16872445]TWA UPDATE: Work has been keeping me extraordinary busy the last few weeks so my postings were few... @faithVA I'm pleased to read the progress you're making! @DarkJoy Your hair is too cute! @Lisaaa Bonet I also experienced changes w/ products once my hair got to a certain length. For me products worked differently mostly because my hair was heat damaged. Now that I cut off all (I hope) of the damage I can get more consistent results and not have to change products frequently.

My TWA is evolving. In a recent post I mentioned that I did a rod set which I loved! I only which that it lasted longer than 2 days (I pushed it to a 3rd day but I shouldn't of) considering the time it took to do the set. I've tried shingling my hair and the teeny coils that I thought disappeared w/ my heat texturized (i.e. damaged) hair showed up. They just needed a li'l coaxing... OK... a lot of coaxing. :grin:

The last few weeks have been promising. My hair is long enough that I am switching around styles like WnG, Bantu Knot outs, Twist outs, rod sets. I discovered that when I do WnG back-to-back my hair shrinks and dries out more than when I do it in between other styles. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics.

Sounds really good. How many inches of hair do you have?

faithVA I promised myself that I will not do a length check until my post relaxer anniversary on Oct. 15. But guessing, I am appx. 4 in. in the front and sides and appx. 5 in on the crown and the back.

Last edited:
@faithVA I promised myself that I will not do a length check until my post relaxer anniversary on Oct. 15. But guessing, I am appx. 4 in. in the front and sides and appx. 5 in on the crown and the back.

Yeah I promise myself no length checks but I lie to myself a lot :lol:

An estimate was good. I was just curious how much hair was needed for the styles you are rocking. 4 to 5 inches is a good length.

Hi all!

I just BCed on Aug 25 after 15 month transition. I am in love with my curls but I would love some hang time.

My stats are 3c med density per my stylist.
I will post a pic soon.

I gave coconut oil a second chance today. On dry hair I sprayed AVJ/H2O mix then applied heaping amounts of coconut oil. I twisted the front just for kicks and my hair looked and felt better. I pray that this will be the answer to my extreme dryness. I prefer coconut oil to other oils because it's solid state is easy to work with.

I have some coconut oil I haven't decided to give a second chance to yet. :ohwell: Maybe before the end of the year.

APrayer4Hair, piling it on didn't make your hair feel oily?

faithVA said:
I have some coconut oil I haven't decided to give a second chance to yet. :ohwell: Maybe before the end of the year.

APrayer4Hair, piling it on didn't make your hair feel oily?

Not too bad. I baggied for about an hour so it could soak in. I don't really mind the oiliness since I'll be either CW/ no pooing in the AM.

I had fairly good results with 2nd day hair today. I cowashed on Wednesday and put in my mix and my hair was soft and moisturized Thursday. Last night I didn't remoisturize. I just did the GHE method and this morning I scrunched some grapeseed/sunflower oil into my hair while it was damp. It wasn't as soft and moisturized as Thursday but it was better than anything I had before and stayed all day. This evening I decided to go out, so I put a little water and oil into my hair and scrunched it in and my hair felt soft again. I don't know that I can get 3 days of moisture out of it, but 2 is a record for me.

Tomorrow I am going to try applying a little water and more leave-in mix to my hair once I take off my caps in the morning. This hasn't worked in the past but it's worth a try.

So here is my 4mos update. I have no clue if I'm looking at avg growth or what but I feel like I'm at a stand still

20120921_223151_zps8615b50a.jpg
20120921_223118_zps329708aa.jpg

So here is my 4mos update. I have no clue if I'm looking at avg growth or what but I feel like I'm at a stand still

With your hair so curly, it's hard to tell how long it is. You would have to pull it so we can see. But it looks like it's about 3" on the sides and probably 4" or more at the top. I don't know how short you cut it but it looks like it's at least growing 1/2" a month.

I doubt it you are at a stand still. There just comes a point where it's at that in between stage and it doesn't seem like it going anywhere. I am pretty sure your hair is fine. Just hang in there :yep:

Not sure if you all have seen her but I just stumbled on a nice blog of a big chopper/twa rocker. She also has some videos on YT. She does a great job keeping her twa mositurized and she hennas it regularly. I cant believe I just found her channel. I found it on CN's blog. Anyways, hope you all like it, we need all the support we can get. :)

http://thenaturalher.tumblr.com/

PS...my big chop will be tomorrow. (exhale, deep breaths, lol)

Yeah, I took the clippers to it with the smallest guard. I was going to try and stretch it for the pic but my dogs distracted me lol.

I believe I'm averaging 1/2 inch a month but the last 2mos I feel like it hasn't done anything.

I've given up on trying to moisturize my hair. I've tried what seems like everything. Idk if the color necessarily made it dry but I'm done. I don't have splits, breakage, or shedding just dryness. I've done moisture, protein, acv, errthang

I was gonna post this in the Struggling thread in more detail but thought maybe what just happened to me might help APrayer4Hair and faithVA.

My dryness and extreme shrinkage (like 80+%) have all but disappeared. What happened?

Water filter!

It removes 99% chlorine and other chemicals and minerals. When I've washed these last 2 times, my hair didn't shrink down to nothing. And it feels softer even as I rinse.

You've all spent hundreds on product. Why not $20 on a shower head filter...? Its amazing really.

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];16900271]I was gonna post this in the Struggling thread in more detail but thought maybe what just happened to me might help @APrayer4Hair and @faithVA.

My dryness and extreme shrinkage (like 80+%) have all but disappeared. What happened?

Water filter!

It removes 99% chlorine and other chemicals and minerals. When I've washed these last 2 times, my hair didn't shrink down to nothing. And it feels softer even as I rinse.

You've all spent hundreds on product. Why not $20 on a shower head filter...? Its amazing really.

Where did you buy a $20 water filter?

I have been reluctant to buy one because some people have noticed a difference and others i know have still struggled with keeping the hair moisturized. So I know it can be great but wasn't completely sold. But would try it for $20.

I've given up on trying to moisturize my hair. I've tried what seems like everything. Idk if the color necessarily made it dry but I'm done. I don't have splits, breakage, or shedding just dryness. I've done moisture, protein, acv, errthang

Hang in there. We are going to work it out :yep:

This is just a vent probably because this has been just a blah day.

But I'm tired of having a twa. I'm tired of not being able to do my hair in sections. I'm tired of trying to twist such short hair. I'm tired of my hair shrinking so tightly and having to work so hard keeping it stretched. I know it's growing. And I know it hasn't been two months. Tired of it just the same. Tired of only getting maybe 1 day or 2 day hair and having to start all over. blah, blah, blah

Maybe I will feel better about my hair tomorrow.

Hope the vent made you feel better, faithVA. I want to do that too sometimes... it does get tiring and is very time consuming!

I got the Sprite Shower filter at Lowes. You just twist off your shower head, screw this one on the spigot and then screw your showerhead into the filter. It does not replace the shower head you have. It's an additional piece. It works for ~6 months. Worth the investment!

If this continues to work, I'll spend money on a more expensive one the filters out near everything. lol.
Mz.MoMo5235 I can't speak on the skin thing yet, but I'll let ya know!

Yesterday did a comparison of the S-Curl w/AVG vs Deva Curl B'Leave-In w/AVG as leave-ins. I heated them up and applied one to the right side and one to the left. I should probably use less AVG with the S-Curl because it was too thin and too hard to apply. But I applied about 3 to 4 tbsp of the mix to each side. Neither helped with detangling and they didn't make my hair feel good after they sat on my hair for 15 minutes.

This morning my twist were dry and nice and shiny. I untwisted them and had great defintion on both sides. The B'Leave-In flakes even with no other product and leaves my hair a bit dull. I probably need to add an oil to this. But will relegate it back to a styler.

Neither of these left my hair feeling soft and moisturized like the Taliah Waajid. But both gave me great definition. During this week I will mix the S-Curl with AVJ and use it as a spritz to see if I can moisturize my hair. If it doesn't work then I will toss it.

Back