~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Had a funny convo yesterday... apparently the only reason I should have gone natural was if my hair was "thin" when it was relaxed. Since my relaxed hair was in very good condition and it was "so long and thick", if she were me "she'd relax"..... okkkkkkkk

So I wore my very first puff to work on Thurs. I've been wearing wigs for almost a year straight (through my transition and after my BC) so no one has seen my hair really....and I was having some issues with not feeling attractive with my hair.

Anyway, I received soooo many compliments and was told how pretty I/it looked. It was quite nice. I actually realized that I almost never received any compliments on my hair since I've started wearing wigs...food for thought. I'm going to forego the wigs for a bit into the new year and start experimenting with protective styles without any additions.

Merry Christmas!

What did you color your hair with? Is it permanent color or semi-permanent?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing new to report on my end.I colored my hair burgundy yesterday, and I like how dark it came out :) . My un-stretched puff is getting bigger (see siggy). It's growing slowly but surely. I'm fighting the urge to flat-iron it, trying to hold out to my one-year BC-versary or my 2-year post relaxer date. So far I've only blow-dried my hair once since my BC in June.

Merry Christmas!

What did you color your hair with? Is it permanent color or semi-permanent?

Thanks in advance!

I use Revlon Colorsilk in Burgundy (#43 I think), and it is amonia-free permanent color. I got it because it was $2.50 a box at my local Drug Wharehouse, LOL. I prefer to use a henna/indigo mix, though. My hair felt a lil rough until I put the conditioner from the box on, and that helped. But what really brought my hair back to balance was Aussie Moist, of all things. I love that stuff :grin:.

happy christmas yal! i got some puff pics. its growin! :drunk: i even did my edges in the holiday spirit. :lol:

o8useq.jpg

fbggw6.jpg

2ch57b8.jpg

Had a funny convo yesterday... apparently the only reason I should have gone natural was if my hair was "thin" when it was relaxed. Since my relaxed hair was in very good condition and it was "so long and thick", if she were me "she'd relax"..... okkkkkkkk

Right. :rolleyes:
If I were her, I'd shut up about your hair if I couldn't see how fabulous it is in its natural state.

I use Revlon Colorsilk in Burgundy (#43 I think), and it is amonia-free permanent color. I got it because it was $2.50 a box at my local Drug Wharehouse, LOL. I prefer to use a henna/indigo mix, though. My hair felt a lil rough until I put the conditioner from the box on, and that helped. But what really brought my hair back to balance was Aussie Moist, of all things. I love that stuff :grin:.

So funny! I used DEEP Burgundy by Revlon and it barely showed up. I was going for the color you had. :sad: I'm not gonna recolor though. I'm gonna henna over this and see what happens.

Belated Merry Christmas!

Love your puff, vainjane! Your hair is growing beautifully.

Should I start a 2011 Newly Naturals Thread? Any suggestions on how to improve the thread?

Belated Merry Christmas!

Love your puff, vainjane! Your hair is growing beautifully.

Should I start a 2011 Newly Naturals Thread? Any suggestions on how to improve the thread?

I love this thread! If you think it's getting too long I would definitely support a 2011 thread. My only question is when do you stop being "newly" natural? After a year post your BC? I feel as though I've mastered my moisture/protein balance and have retained a lot of length since my BC, but I plan on trying more natural out styles this summer and will be referencing this thread for tips.

Awesome thread! It's good to see the Natural presence on this board getting larger!

It's been less than a year since I chopped, but once I got into a solid, iron-clad regimen, & ran out of questions to ask, I stopped considering myself a Natural Newbie. Perhaps once you've got the hang of things is when you are no longer a newbie. or when you have more advice for others than questions. :)

Hi Everyone, I'm a natural newbie. I big chopped last week after unofficially transitioning for a year. I have no regimen at the moment and still trying to develop one but it's quite difficult to incorporate all the information on this forum. I look forward to learning more and seeing everyone's progress.

during my transition when i was getting weaves put in, my hair stylist told me that if i relaxed my hair, my hair would be so long. wat?!, regardless if my hair is long with so much new growth its gonna be long when its straightened! duh! she couldnt understand what i was gonna do with my hair once i was natural, "are you gonna perm it once your natural"?? y would i do that?! she just couldnt understand what styles i would be doing, i guess she figured all i would be able to do is where it out in a fro. smh

I love this thread! If you think it's getting too long I would definitely support a 2011 thread. My only question is when do you stop being "newly" natural? After a year post your BC? I feel as though I've mastered my moisture/protein balance and have retained a lot of length since my BC, but I plan on trying more natural out styles this summer and will be referencing this thread for tips.

honestly i feel that you can never not be a newly natural to some extent because there are always new things or things out there to learn about natural hair. from different ingredients, to hairstyles, to natural ingredients etc.

i think this thread shouold stay alive, even if you make a 2011. i know that before i was natural and was transitioning, i would lurk this thread to mentally prepare myself for whats to come and check out what to do with my hair.

I finally mastered the braid n curl. Twist n curls never work for me, so I've given up on those until my hair gets longer, but the braid n curls turn out beautifully. (I know I'm wrong for not posting pics, but I'm still editing lol).

Garnier Fructis cream gel is my new boo for these types of styles. I didn't like it at first but that's because I used it on dry hair. It works like a dream on damp or wet hair as long as you don't use too much.

Hi Everyone, I'm a natural newbie. I big chopped last week after unofficially transitioning for a year. I have no regimen at the moment and still trying to develop one but it's quite difficult to incorporate all the information on this forum. I look forward to learning more and seeing everyone's progress.

:welcome4::newbie:

So funny! I used DEEP Burgundy by Revlon and it barely showed up. I was going for the color you had. :sad: I'm not gonna recolor though. I'm gonna henna over this and see what happens.

I'm gonna use henna/indigo next time too. I have been able to get a lovely burgundy from using 4/5 henna and 1/5 indigo mixed together. My pockets are a lil tight right now, but I plan to stock up on henna in february.

Let's keep this alive :) I'm six months natural but will still check in a year from now :)

cch24 maybe you can rename it so it can still be for natural and newly. Get the moderator to change the name or create a new thread where it can be just for natural(Naturals Now and Then, The Natural Journey) some ideas!

I think "newly natural" is completely self-defined. Someone might have BCs and mastered their natural hair within 6 months, while another person might have been natural for years but is just now beginning their healthy hair journey and beginning to get attuned to their hair's needs, wants and versatility. Even if you've gotten a handle on your natural hair's health, it's nice to stick around. Like you said, there are new stying tips that you might want to get. Also, it would be cool if the not-so-new naturals stuck around to provide support and tips to the newly naturals.

honestly i feel that you can never not be a newly natural to some extent because there are always new things or things out there to learn about natural hair. from different ingredients, to hairstyles, to natural ingredients etc.

i think this thread shouold stay alive, even if you make a 2011. i know that before i was natural and was transitioning, i would lurk this thread to mentally prepare myself for whats to come and check out what to do with my hair.
Great point. Yes, it should most certainly stay alive. It's just that I noticed that most support threads are renewed every year, which seems practical. We'll all just to move a fresh space, so to speak. I might assemble a list of the newly naturals who've hung out in this thread or at least provide a link to all the intro posts so that people reading the new thread can easily reference our BC dates, hair types, etc. Or everyone who wants to participate in the 2011 thread can copy + paste their intro post from this thread.
cch24 maybe you can rename it so it can still be for natural and newly. Get the moderator to change the name or create a new thread where it can be just for natural(Naturals Now and Then, The Natural Journey) some ideas!
I think there's already a natural support thread. I do like the idea of more experienced participating by offering support and guidance but I like the idea of a thread where newly naturals are the focus.

@MummysGirl Your hair looks great it's so thick and pretty...

I'll be 18 months post on Monday, That was my initial chop date, but I do not regret chopping my hair earlier. I will take some pics and post sometime next week.

Hey Naturalistas!!!

I have been very quite just lurking to find what works best for this hair-'o-mines!!

I am almost 6 months natural and I think I have gotten lucky by finding a few
products that are AWESOME and help me to ENJOY my hair, as opposed to WORRY about it!

Anyhoo,
I have gone from this:
begin.jpg
[/IMG]

to this

fluff.jpg
[/IMG]

in what I feel is a short time.

I have learned what products work very well,
such as QHEMET!!!!!
I love her products ( & her)!!
She is so awesome in her communication with her customers!
The BRBC is a MUST HAVE for my hair!
It makes it SOOOOOO soft and buttery to the touch!

I follow up with a touch of FX Curls Up (found in WalMart)-
makes my curls stand up.

I have also tried pineappling,
but I think that will work better on longer hair.

I have started twisting/twirling

hairtwists1.jpg
[/IMG]

and have added Revlon color (which hardly shows up)
hairtwist.jpg
[/IMG]

and get a nice pouffy 'fro

untwist.jpg
[/IMG]

untwist1.jpg
[/IMG]

You ladies have been such an inspiration,
full of info and recommendations,
how-to's-

I just don't know how I would have made it to this milestone
w/o y'all!
There were times I wanted to give in, because I felt like I couldn't 'get it right',
but then someone would post pix, how-to's, and products,
and I would try it (or not try it),
and get GREAT results!

THE LHCF LADIES :urock:!!!

:thankyou: :smooches::smooches:

:bighug:

Mummy's girl, your Christmas eve hair was beautiful! AKAtude congrats on your progress! Glad you found what works for your hair!

I haven't been in here for awhile because my hair was in braids and DH was on leave, but I took my braids down last night and was finally able to make a puff this morning!!!:yay::bouncy::yay: I'm so excited, lol. It doesn't look as slick and neat as some of the experts on here but it's exciting to me :grin:

1stpuff12-29-10.jpg

*Sorry the pic is so huge I don't know how to resize*

Back