~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

:curtain:

How is everybody doing? I've been in braids for almost 2 weeks now, so far so good. I'm hoping that they will last about 2 months. I've been having a serious case of the itchies so I purchased Sulfur 8 braid spray from Sally's today. This stuff is great. The itching stopped almost immediately.:yep: Definetely a keeper!:up:

Keep up the good work, Ladies!:bouncy:

Sorry I didn't post these on time, I was in a rush to leave. Of course, it rained so my hair poofed and ended up in a ponytail. But it was fun while it lasted. These are pretty bad length pics but they're all I have.

Last edited:
^I love it! Your hair turned out really pretty and I love your length! Darn the forces of nature for causing your reversion.

I got the idea from curlynikki. Here are a few recipes/tutorials. In the end I just used whatever conditioner I had (and some honey. I've been adding this to my DCs for the last couple of months) and added 2 tablespoons of henna.
Curlynikki's recipe
CurlyNikki's Henna Gloss Recipe | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

Moptop Maven's recipe
YouTube - Henna Gloss Tutorial

La Flaca's recipes
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/2794019-post18.html

ETA of post henna pic. Not much color but loving the thickness
IMG_0935.jpg

Sorry I didn't post these on time, I was in a rush to leave. Of course, it rained so my hair poofed and ended up in a ponytail. But it was fun while it lasted. These are pretty bad length pics but they're all I have.

Fox, where do you get our henna?

CCh24 your hair is beautiful nice job on getting it so straight.

So I dyed my hair deep burgundy. You can barely see it indoors, but it's a nice burgundy red outdoors. I did the frint section and some sections throughout my head. I plan on doing a henna gloss (thanks to FG) and will see if the burgundy will get brighter. More vibrant. I will do a strand test first. Don't wanna walk around looking crazy. :lol:

I want some color too. A rich brownish burgundy.

i just colored my hair, i don't even know what color it is. i lifted my hair color (i didn't bleach it though, i used a box color), and then add a brown color to it. i need to remember what brown color it was. it had a gold/neutral base and it was by Clairol. i had to do something, i was starting to get bored and needed some spice in my life. i got a lot of compliments on the color.

it's kind of a light golden-brownish color. i didn't want to mess with bleach because i didn't want it to effect the texture of my hair. i love my coils.

I'm getting the itch to get a little color too. next month I may get some burgundy highlights going. I just need to find a reputable place to get it done....

I don't think I introduced myself in this thread:

When I bc'd - 12/5/10
Number of weeks post when I chopped -94
Current length: when stretched the back is about an inch past my collar bone, the front is chin length.

I plan on flat ironing in february, 2 months after chopping, to do an official length check and to see what's going on with my hair.

A place for those who've recently BCd to hang out, chat, rant, rave, ask questions, review products, discuss progress and setbacks, share pictures, and offer and receive support.

Feel free to link to threads you've started or threads that you think will be helpful to your fellow newly natural LHCFers.

A cool feature that might help to optimize this thread's resourcefulness is that you can change the title your of posts from the default (re: The Newly Natural Thread). This feature can make it easier to navigate and search the thread.

Also feel free to introduce yourself by telling us
  • When you BCd
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
  • Have you been natural before? When?
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
  • Your current regimen
  • Your favorite styles
  • Your current length and goal length
  • Your photo album, if any

or jump right into the discussion! :)

Resources & Learning from Others' Experiences
Newbie's Manual: Links to Useful/Important Threads

Read this before you buy anything else!!!

Product Twins- lets list

The Complete Vitamin Guide

How Did You Create Your Hair Regimen?

LHCF 'SET BACK' PREVENTION 101

Retaining Length with natural hair- What your best method?

Who has went from Fine to Thick hair.....

Straightening Tips for Naturals...

Ask a long haired natural

"Naked" Hair Pics - find your texture twin!

Inspiration
NATURALS: post PICS of your SHRINKAGE!

PHOTO REQUEST: Naturals can I see your pics of...2 years worth of growth, please?

spinoff: naturals show one year of growth!!

Best Pics of Natural Hair/Heads (Includes our Members): A Thread of Encouragement!!

Styles
Natural Bun Pics

*NATURALS!* Post Pics of all Your Professional & Formal Styles!

Natural Short to Mid Length Hairstyles:Photo Thread!

Hair Accessories Websites
Hello, I am new to LHCF but i am excited. right away i say i have never gotten my hair to be more than 6 or 7 inches. I am not sure of my type it is spongy and very tightly curled when i pull on it dry, i get those little tiny circle that pop off. it sounds very crunchy. i haven't had chemical in it since gerri curl days.LOL
please help me lose this wig and go on my own.
by the way i have an 8 head as opposed to 4 head plus a stupid widows peak ugh i need hair to cover over that. any one please. thanks

it's kind of a light golden-brownish color. i didn't want to mess with bleach because i didn't want it to effect the texture of my hair. i love my coils.

Your description sounds so pretty. I want to color with henna or maybe a semi permanent.

I don't think I introduced myself in this thread:

When I bc'd - 12/5/10
Number of weeks post when I chopped -94
Current length: when stretched the back is about an inch past my collar bone, the front is chin length.

I plan on flat ironing in february, 2 months after chopping, to do an official length check and to see what's going on with my hair.

You BC? Did you do a thread? I'm about to do a search girl!!! Good for you. So glad you have joined us with that pretty hair. :kiss:

Your description sounds so pretty. I want to color with henna or maybe a semi permanent.

You BC? Did you do a thread? I'm about to do a search girl!!! Good for you. So glad you have joined us with that pretty hair. :kiss:

Thank you for the warm welcome. The baby is getting so big!! No, I didn't make a thread, I just did it. I do have a few pics showing my chop. I will make a thread soon :)

My qhemets black friday order came in today. I got the amla and olive heavy cream. I'll post how it goes in the next couple of days

Hello, I am new to LHCF but i am excited. right away i say i have never gotten my hair to be more than 6 or 7 inches. I am not sure of my type it is spongy and very tightly curled when i pull on it dry, i get those little tiny circle that pop off. it sounds very crunchy. i haven't had chemical in it since gerri curl days.LOL
please help me lose this wig and go on my own.
by the way i have an 8 head as opposed to 4 head plus a stupid widows peak ugh i need hair to cover over that. any one please. thanks

your hair sounds EXACTLY like mine...me and you together on this i have been natural for about 7 years starting again for the 3rd time :-\

My arms are tired but I'm pretty pleased with my results so far. Last night I did a protein prepoo, shampooed, deep conditioned, rinsed, and detangled with an instant conditioner. When I got out of the shower I applied a leave-in and put my hair in 8 braids with the ends rolled on a satin roller. When I woke up this morning I took out each braid, applied a low dry cream, and blow dried on medium. Then I flat ironed at 350 degree F. My hair is currently in flexi rods (I'm hoping for some body).

Attached are pictures of my hair during the blow drying process, after the blow drying, a stretched section of flat ironed hair (almost BSL?!) and my hair in the rods. I'll come back with a picture of my hair combed out in about 20 minutes. Going to a wedding today!

Sorry for the blurred out faces. You never know who's lurking...

Very pretty & thick...

Happy Hair Growing!

Very pretty :drool: How many months post relaxer are you? (I'm trying to gauge my length goals)

Very pretty :drool: How many months post relaxer are you? (I'm trying to gauge my length goals)

My last relaxer was in October of 2008 so I'm 26 months post! I'm about to trim about a half inch for the new year and wash my hair. My mom got a steamer so I'll be steaming my DC's for the next three weeks! :grin:

@cch24 if I can get anywhere near as much growth as you have at 26months post I will be in line with my goal of BSL by Dec 2011/Jan 2012.

Hey ladies, got my first trim since my BC back in May. I really needed it. My ends were so dry, even after I would DC it for hours. It just wouldn't hold moisture. I also had these ridiculous ssk that drove me nuts. My hair definitely looks and feels better, it's not as dry and can hold a 2 strand twist a day longer than before.

The stylist was really good, works with natural hair and trimmed it curly. She got rid of my mullet (it's weird that my hair on the back of my head grows the fastest) and did a nice all around job. If anyone is looking for stylist in Wash D.C., let me know.

Last edited:
Hey ladies, got my first trim since my BC back in May. I really needed it. My ends were so dry, even after I would DC it for hours. It just wouldn't hold moisture. I also had these ridiculous ssk that drove me nuts. My hair definitely looks and feels better, it's not as dry and can hold a 2 strand twist a day longer than before.

The stylist was really good, works with natural hair and trimmed it curly. She got rid of my mullet (it's weird that my hair on the back of my head grows the fastest) and did a nice all around job. If anyone is looking for stylist in Wash D.C., let me know.

The back of my head grows faster too

I really need to check in more often! I've been neglecting my hair for a bit, just wearing wash and go's..
I'm still retaining length, though! I hardly deserve it. :lol:

ETA: Cch, my goodness, your hair is gorgeous!!

Last edited:
Nothing new to report on my end.I colored my hair burgundy yesterday, and I like how dark it came out :) . My un-stretched puff is getting bigger (see siggy). It's growing slowly but surely. I'm fighting the urge to flat-iron it, trying to hold out to my one-year BC-versary or my 2-year post relaxer date. So far I've only blow-dried my hair once since my BC in June.

hey yall! here is a pic of my twists, its been two weeks since ive had them in. has anyone that hasnt been natural for that long that wears their hair in twists, been asked if they were going to loc their hair? o_O.

Ive had twists in for about 4 out of the 5 weeks ive been natural and in the last 2.5 weeks ppl have asked me if im locing my hair. im wondering if they just didnt know that twists does not = locs. im not mad or anything just i never thought that about ppl when i saw they had twists in their hair even when i still had relaxed hair. but i guess everyone is not as informed as others i suppose.

Attachments

• twists in hat2.jpg
    twists in hat2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2010-12-23 14.35.32.jpg
    2010-12-23 14.35.32.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 29
Nothing new to report on my end.I colored my hair burgundy yesterday, and I like how dark it came out :) . My un-stretched puff is getting bigger (see siggy). It's growing slowly but surely. I'm fighting the urge to flat-iron it, trying to hold out to my one-year BC-versary or my 2-year post relaxer date. So far I've only blow-dried my hair once since my BC in June.

I dyed my hair burgundy too. The color barely showed up. :nono: I love your color! And your hair is growing girl! :grin:

Back