~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

LOL at you guys! I dunno, I think I wanna try it....but wth there is so much hair in her brush!!! When I detangle I usually only get a little ball that balled up is the size of one of those tiny chocolate eggs...

But...I have to return 2 bags of flexi-rods anyway...so I can just exchange it for the TT.

I posted a video I found on it a few weeks ago
YouTube - Detangling Natural Hair in Real Time with the Tangle Teezer

I think Stephelise also posted a review. I'm sitting under the dryer right now. I'll use it after my DC

Yes, I actually have a vid I need to post about it as well. It's ready for upload. I loveeeee this brush so much but I'm hatin you for finding it for $10!:wallbash: That's an excellent price. I'll make sure I mention in the description box about that. Gone to upload the vid now.

ETA: I did not lose a lot of hair using this brush at all. It didn't pull or hurt. It sounds like it might be puling but it's not. That vid is loading now.

Last edited:
Yes, I actually have a vid I need to post about it as well. It's ready for upload. I loveeeee this brush so much but I'm hatin you for finding it for $10!:wallbash: That's an excellent price. I'll make sure I mention in the description box about that. Gone to upload the vid now.

ETA: I did not lose a lot of hair using this brush at all. It didn't pull or hurt. It sounds like it might be puling but it's not. That vid is loading now.

I couldn't resist at this price. I literally did a double take in Sally's

Here's that vid on the Tangle Teezer for those who may be interested.

YouTube - Uniquelise3's Channel

Oh and last week I was rocking two afro puffs that I absolutely love. So tell me the truth guys, you think I'm too old to wear them? LOL They were so easy breezy and I thought they were cutiful!

Attachments

• Nov 28, 2010B 007.jpg
    Nov 28, 2010B 007.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Nov 28, 2010B 008.jpg
    Nov 28, 2010B 008.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Nov 28, 2010B 010.jpg
    Nov 28, 2010B 010.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 35

Oh and last week I was rocking two afro puffs that I absolutely love. So tell me the truth guys, you think I'm too old to wear them? LOL They were so easy breezy and I thought they were cutiful!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: at you talking to your kid!

Thanks for this video, it seems similar to how I detangle with my paddle brush...I'm gonna go get one! :yep:

And I think your puffs are cute!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: at you talking to your kid!

Thanks for this video, it seems similar to how I detangle with my paddle brush...I'm gonna go get one! :yep:

And I think your puffs are cute!

Oh about my boy coming in, :lol: yeah I didn't feel like stopping the tape or editing that part out so I left it there. Let us know how you like the brush Elle. And thanks about the afro puffs!:grin:

Oh about my boy coming in, :lol: yeah I didn't feel like stopping the tape or editing that part out so I left it there. Let us know how you like the brush Elle. And thanks about the afro puffs!:grin:

Yes, I lol'ed at that part b/c that is how my mom used to talk to me...like, Girl bye...

Ok my verdict is... I love it! I conditioned then split my hair into 8ths. I used HE hydralicious conditioner and first detangled each section with my jilbere shower comb then I used the tangle teezer. Y'all it melted through my tangles. Normally my ends are the hardest part to detangle and it was a breeze with this. I started at the ends and worked my way up like the video I posted. In my really tightly curled sections (the back and middle) I had to split the already eighthed hair in half but once I got a small enough section it was back to working smoothly. I lost a quarter size amount of hair from the entire detangling session. I was twisting my hair afterwards and wondering why my hair was clumped into visible clumps and I figured out it's bc of how the tangle teezer detangled everything and clumped everything together. I'm sold. I'll definitely keep using this and definitely recommend it for intense detangling sessions

ETA it seems like it would be good for shingling. It works the conditioner in from root to tip and distributes it evenly. I'm sure if you used gel it would coat each strand evenly. Shingling is hopeless for me but for those of you with shinglable hair I think it would cut down the time it takes to rake the gel through

Last edited:
I spoke too soon. The Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie has a lot of coconut oil in it and my hair was hard after using it in the cooler temperatures. Also, after a few days of using it my hair did not seem as moisturized as it does using the thick and buttery Mozeke Avocado Cream, so I just ordered another 16oz container of it. I'm almost finished with my current 16oz container that I've had since August, so I don't really mind paying $20 for something that lasts me 3+ months.

I spoke too soon. The Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie has a lot of coconut oil in it and my hair was hard after using it in the cooler temperatures. Also, after a few days of using it my hair did not seem as moisturized as it does using the thick and buttery Mozeke Avocado Cream, so I just ordered another 16oz container of it. I'm almost finished with my current 16oz container that I've had since August, so I don't really mind paying $20 for something that lasts me 3+ months.

What consistency is the curl smoothie? Is it like a gel or a cream? I tried making a bootleg curl cream/smoothie today. I'm looking for hold and definition without the hardness of gel. I mixed Jane Carter Wrap and Roll foaming lotion, ecostyler, aloe vera gel, and some creamy leave in. I used it on my twists tonight. I'll have to see how the twistout comes out tomorrow

ETA and randomness- no heat damage from my flat iron

Last edited:
What consistency is the curl smoothie? Is it like a gel or a cream? I tried making a bootleg curl cream/smoothie today. I'm looking for hold and definition without the hardness of gel. I mixed Jane Carter Wrap and Roll foaming lotion, ecostyler, aloe vera gel, and some creamy leave in. I used it on my twists tonight. I'll have to see how the twistout comes out tomorrow

The curl smoothie is very thick while still being creamy. It's not a thick and buttery consistency... if that makes sense. I think it definitely would give good definition, and it made the tops of my bun a little crunchy if I used more than a fingertip amount, so there's some hold in it as well. I would think it would be very good for twists / twistouts. Let me know how it works if oyu try it!

Got my Tangle Teezer!!! In neon pink, of course. Will report back with results...I prob won't use it for a couple of days though. The bristles are softer than I thought.

Thought I add my two cents bc I use the SheaMoisture Smoothie almost daily, lol. I use the sheamoisture Smoothie with a condish and i seal with coconut oil (i know the product has coconut oil in it, but i just don't feel safe without it lolol) and I add a little Aloe Vera Gel when styling my hair..my hair stays soft and very moisturized. It will most likely do the same with your twists :) And as the OP mentioned, yea it's a thick butter type of product

The Curl Enhancing Smoothie has a very thick texture. I purchased some thinking that it would make a good winter butter for my hair. For whatever reason, it dulls my hair and makes it appear dry. But, shea has never really done anything for my hair, despite my best efforts. I think if your hair likes shea butter, then this probably will be a good product for you.

hey ladies!! here are some updates as far as my protective styling...these are mini twists. i just divided my medium sized twists and didnt stretch them or anything. I just got a new blowdryer, the yellowbird, as an early xmas gift and i want to try it out so bad! so i think i am going to do a blow out this weekend!!!! i dunno yet.

Attachments

• 2010-12-02 13.48.49.jpg
    2010-12-02 13.48.49.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2010-12-02 13.47.49.jpg
    2010-12-02 13.47.49.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2010-12-02 13.48.57.jpg
    2010-12-02 13.48.57.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2010-12-02 13.47.03.jpg
    2010-12-02 13.47.03.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 19

:lol: "Sorry about that" Okay Momma Steph!

That tangle teaser actually looks like some brushes that I got for my cats a few years ago- I have one with hard bristles and I have another with soft bristles. :scratchch I might be able to get if from a pet supply cheaper than a human beauty supply.

The puffs definitely looked cute on you. I think puffs and pigtails are generally off-limits for anyone over 25 but they're fine for certain people and certain settings. I think the line between typically child and adult is being blurred anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hey ladies! I haven't been in here in a while. I am glad to see the progress that everyone is making and the nice styles that you all have come up with.

I hope to have my fotki updated by Monday so I can share my progress with you all and the new styles I tried.

I'm currently rocking mini twists. I put these in whenever I run into a style rut.

*Off to buy that Tangle Teezer thingy*

Thanks for the video and I think the puffs are cute for home. I don't think I'd wear them out though. Don't worry about what I think though. Rock them!

Gonna start contributing to this thread very soon!

Come on then......lol. :grin:

Here's a braid/ braid out I tried for work the other day. My braidout turned to a big puff. :ohwell:

393788565.jpg

I got my hair straightened yesterday and I love it! I got a much needed trim of about 1 inch all over. My hair is 8.5 inches at the nape and 7.5 inches in the front so I am very pleased with my progress.

I did not get the color gloss due to an error by the shampoo lady. I wrongfully assumed the color gloss was like a rinse, but its really a lower ph permanent color (demi permanent). Because she manipulated my scalp during the massage and applied a drop of peppermint oil, my stylist said that the gloss applicaton may irritate my scalp. For whatever reason I didn't know that permanent color could sting! Now I am not so sure about the color gloss, so I guess the mistake happened for a reason.

Lastly, my stylist said I need to up my steaming to 2xs a week instead of once a week for the cold, dry, winter months.

And yes, I know...:needpics:

Hello, I gotta be in this discussion. I just BC'd November 29th. I did not transition so I have barely 1/2 inch of hair. I really don't have a regimen yet because this is new to me so I'm figuring it out as I go. I had decent relaxed hair but want the flexibility of natural and wanted to know what my hair actually looked like.

Hey ladies, I'm really loving my natural hair. I'm offically 17mths post today, I'm so happy I made the decision to go natural..

As the year is coming to a close I've started making goals for my hair next year. I won't be straightening this month because... I just don't feel like it. I don't really like wearing my hair down if it's not a certain length, and until I reach those lengths my hair will be in a bun.

I hope to make BSL by March, MBL by October (3 years post), and WL by the end of 2011. If I'm anywhere near WL by the end of the year I will be overjoyed with my progress. I plan on straightening my hair those three times, and hopefully my hair will finally be long enough that I will be able to wear a wash and go that I am comfortable with.

What are your goals for the next year?

Back