~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

i did some really tiny twists yesterday. it took me 14 hours. i have more pics in my fotki. ♥

i37z3r.jpg
I love your twists! That's a really cute style!

I haven't been on as much so I'm a little late with this response but, I had the same issue not too long ago. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Castor Oil and Qhemet Biologic's Amla and Olive Heavy cream helped sooo much. And then to get rid of the temptation to cut/perm my hair, I got box braids/micros put in. They've been in for about a month now and I'm planning on keeping them in for another month. The only thing I use is the Heavy Cream for my scalp and some cheap braid spray (without glycerin) for my braids. So far, my hair is growing pretty well. I don't know if this method will work for you but either way. Hang in there and good luck!

I'll try out some of the products you mention and see if they work for me. I sure hope they do! And I have to say your hair is growin in so nice! I love it! :) I know people hate their hair being touched but if I saw you IRL i'd have at it! :)

My twists never come out define with Qhemet products. Moisturized, yes, but not defined. Perhaps you could consider trying another product? I tried Miss Jessie's baby buttercreame and it left my twists very defined. I'm not a fan of the smell or the ingredients but it does really work. So the last time I used it I mixed it with my Qhemet and I got the look without much of the smell.

I really like it, actually. But I'm a fan of fluffy hair..

Was your hair completely dry when you took out the twists?

Loving all the pics!
I'm 8 months natural today :grin:

ETA I've been meaning to ask- is Qhemet having black friday sales? I want to try this amla and olive oil heavy cream

Last edited:
When you BCd 11/22/10
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd 16 mths (1wk shy of 17mths
Have you been natural before? When? not since I was about 5
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness I don't know my hair type, but it's a little bit of every thing. Very thick hair, variety of loosr and tighter curls, and a section of straight/wavy hair. It's mine so I love it
Your current regimen: We shall see
Your favorite styles :We shall see
Your current length and goal length :SL goal BSL
Your photo album, if any: No photos my house was broken into yesterday and they took my PC and camera with my entire BC footage and hair journey:(

Last edited:
When you BCd 11/22/10
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd 16 mths (1wk shy of 17mths
Have you been natural before? When? not since I was about 5
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness I don't know my hair type, but it's a little bit of every thing. Very thick hair, variety of loosr and tighter curls, and a section of straight/wavy hair. It's mine so I love it
Your current regimen: We shall see
Your favorite styles :We shall see
Your current length and goal length :SL goal BSL
Your photo album, if any: No photos my house was broken into yesterday and they took my PC and camera with my entire BC fottage and hair journey:(

I'm sorry hear about the break-in.:sad: I hope they find the perpetrators. Congratulations on your BC!

Welcome arm445! :welcome:

Sorry about the break in! Glad no one was hurt. When you're ready to get a new PC, you should consider having 3 copies of all your files + photos - the originals on your pc, a copy on an external drive and a copy off-site (this can be in a safety deposit box or online, "in the cloud"). My house was broken into several years ago and they stole a camera, luckily it didn't have a lot of important photos. Since then, I've been on point with my back-ups because you never know what can happen.:nono:

Thanks Andromeda!!! That's a great idea, I will definitely do that.
Welcome arm445! :welcome:

Sorry about the break in! Glad no one was hurt. When you're ready to get a new PC, you should consider having 3 copies of all your files + photos - the originals on your pc, a copy on an external drive and a copy off-site (this can be in a safety deposit box or online, "in the cloud"). My house was broken into several years ago and they stole a camera, luckily it didn't have a lot of important photos. Since then, I've been on point with my back-ups because you never know what can happen.:nono:

Hi Ladies!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to the US Ladies :)

I'm a little over 23 months post relaxer and right now I'm on cruise control.... been wearing my hair in a puff everyday (braiding every night). I only cowash and DC once a week now because it's sooooo cold in London...

My hair easily goes up into one ponytail now so that's proof it's growing.

Congrats to the new BCers and all you ladies KUTGW :yep:

I can't wait for my Xmas holidays so I can finally have some free time to catch up with everyone :)

Took my braids out because they were super fuzzy. I'm gonna rock out with twists for as long as I can stand it. I'm liking this new look.

Attachments

• IMG_3192.jpg
    IMG_3192.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 35
Just wet my hair and put 13 flat twists in using Qhemets AOHC. I will be doing a twistout as always. Wash day is Sunday so I won't be rocking it for that long.

I can finally make a decent sized dry bun! And as much as I love my Mozeke Avocado Cream, the Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie is just as good of a leave- in, I can find it at Target, and it's cheaper.

My updated milestone list (the ones in bold have been achieved!!!):

#1 Be able to wear a headband
#2 Be able to wear a shrunken puff and look halfway decent
#3 Get to the length that I was at during my 1st attempt at being natural
#4 Ear Length Hair

#5 The Frohawk!!
#6 NL Hair
#7 Make a Ponytail to Wear a Fake Puff
#8 SL Hair
#9 Make 2 big PonyPuffs / 2 big Cornrows
#10 Be able to put 10 big twists in my hair at night and call it a day

My mom convinced me to let her give me a trim today. She picked my hair then used scissors to shape me up. Other than doing S&D's to get rid of SSK's and splits, this is the first time my hair has been cut since the BC.:ohwell: (Sorry no pics)

I still have some shedding so I may have to add garlic powder to my condishes or try a coffee rinse.:look:

Last edited:
I got bored and flat ironed my hair a couple of days ago. I started off at 320 and went up to 400 degrees but It ended up looking like a blow out and kept getting bigger as the day went on :lol:
I'd say I've retained 6 inches which is right on course for my 1/4 inch a month growth rate. I have pics of course. I know I need a trim but I never wear my hair straight and I don't have that many split ends so I'm not running out to get one. I'll get one at 1 year post BC
Here is a pic showing my shrinkage
IMG_0896.jpg

Almost done
IMG_0906.jpg

From the front. It was even bigger in person
IMG_0902.jpg

From the sides
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg

I'm mad I did all that work for it to look like a blowout but oh well. I got lots of compliments on the thickness. I won't be doing it that often bc the blowdryer plus my hair = war. I forgot to take a stretched out pic. Stretched out it's like 2 inches away from APL. I'm hoping to keep retaining my 3 inches a year.

Your hair is beautiful, fox. The shrinkage and thickness is awesome. I know the frustration of a flat-iron job looking like a blow out. I'm also afraid to blow dry prior to flat ironing.

I got bored and flat ironed my hair a couple of days ago. I started off at 320 and went up to 400 degrees but It ended up looking like a blow out and kept getting bigger as the day went on :lol:
I'd say I've retained 6 inches which is right on course for my 1/4 inch a month growth rate. I have pics of course. I know I need a trim but I never wear my hair straight and I don't have that many split ends so I'm not running out to get one. I'll get one at 1 year post BC
IMG_0896.jpg

Almost done
IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

From the sides
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg

I'm mad I did all that work for it to look like a blowout but oh well. I got lots of compliments on the thickness. I won't be doing it that often bc the blowdryer plus my hair = war. I forgot to take a stretched out pic. Stretched out it's like 2 inches away from APL. I'm hoping to keep retaining my 3 inches a year.

When you do trim, are you going to do it yourself?

Your hair is beautiful, fox. The shrinkage and thickness is awesome. I know the frustration of a flat-iron job looking like a blow out. I'm also afraid to blow dry prior to flat ironing.
Thanks! All that breakage dealing with the blow dryer/comb attachment and my hair was more shrunken afterwards than when I do braidouts/twistouts. I think next time I'll just dry my hair in braids or twists and flat iron from there

When you do trim, are you going to do it yourself?
I'll straighten it myself then go into supercuts or something

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting braids for the winter, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't hide my hair and learn how to deal with it and see what my hair likes and doesn't like in the crisp air. Anybody plan on doing anything special to their hair when it gets cold? I know it's almost December, but it's not cold here yet. :lol: Still in the 80's.

Anyone in Virginia want to conrow my hair? I want to get cornrow's with extentions but I want someone who wont pick through my hair with a small comb, and wont put the braids in so tight that my 4 head turns into a 6 head....sorry just ranting....

IMG_0896.jpg

Almost done
IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

From the sides
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg

lmao thats what my hair looked like back in feb when i decided to straighten after the bc. i was mad and confused cuz i had straightened for most of my transition, then when i cut the relaxed ends off, it was all puffy. :perplexed

oh well, i rocked my james brown hair for that night. :lol:

I was thinking about getting braids for the winter, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't hide my hair and learn how to deal with it and see what my hair likes and doesn't like in the crisp air. Anybody plan on doing anything special to their hair when it gets cold? I know it's almost December, but it's not cold here yet. :lol: Still in the 80's.
I say hold out as long as you can, and if you start seeing sdverse effects from the weather, put your hair away till spring :) .

I'm thinking about getting Senegalese Twists. That was my favorite PS when I transitioned.:look:

I say hold out as long as you can, and if you start seeing sdverse effects from the weather, put your hair away till spring :) .

I'm thinking about putting mine away until Spring because I'll be dealing with all types of weather with the job.

Hey I found the tangle teezer at sally's beauty supply for $10. I will be trying it out in a bit after my prepoo. I'll post updates

I saw that! Please let us know how you like it...I almost bought one but those teeth scared me...
My co-worker bought one for her adopted daughters (one is ethiopian and has 3b/3c hair) and she loves it, says it detangles like a dream. Her friend, who also has an ethiopian daughter with 4a hair, says it works very well also.

Back