~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I'm back on EcoStyler Olive oil Gel for my wash and go's. I believe I was retaining length better with it. Still using Sta Sof Fro as a moisturizer. I've been slacking on my cowashes though.:ohwell: I'm also loving ORS Replenishing Condish as a DC (it was like meh, when I was relaxed).

Keep up the good work, Ladies! Have a great weekend!

Here are my pics! I can't wait till my hair thickens up, I've been applying Castor oil every night.

textureshot-Copy.jpg

side-Copy.jpg

My hair is pretty sparse on the sides and here I was for years thinking my edges were in trouble.

Last night I dreamed that I relaxed my hair.:thud: I was halfway into the application when I thought "What am I doing? I'm supposed to stay natural." I ran around the house looking for the sink so I could wash it out. Then I wondered if I should just continue the relaxing process then immediately start transitioning again.:perplexed

I don't know why I dreamed that but I'm glad it's just a dream.:lol: I have noticed a few midshift splits in my shed hair :nono: so I'm going to start incorporating wheat germ oil into my regimen again. I was planning to braid my hair for the winter but I want to make sure that it's in tip top shape before I do.

I'm back on EcoStyler Olive oil Gel for my wash and go's. I believe I was retaining length better with it. Still using Sta Sof Fro as a moisturizer. I've been slacking on my cowashes though.:ohwell: I'm also loving ORS Replenishing Condish as a DC (it was like meh, when I was relaxed).

Keep up the good work, Ladies! Have a great weekend!

Me, too. I'd been wearing my hair stretched, and I like how it helped to show more length, but I think I retained better with Ecostyler WnG's. I ordered some AO White Camellia (sp?) and some Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-in Conditioner to try out as potential moisturizers. I whipped some shea butter and castor oil together and I like it a lot as a sealant.

I told myself no more WNG due to the cold but I can't stop....lol. I've been using the pink EcoStyler gel after Kimmaytube's Leave in mix. i want to try the Olive Oil one but unfortunately they don't sell it here.

I tried a braidout and my hair was a big poof ball when I loosened the braids......... :nono:

andromeda I just saw your pics posted at the very beginning of this thread and GIRL, your hair is gorgeous!!!! I really love your unmanipulated puff. LOVE!

andromeda I just saw your pics posted at the very beginning of this thread and GIRL, your hair is gorgeous!!!! I really love your unmanipulated puff. LOVE!

Thanks!!! I'm trying to nurse it back to that. :yep: hopefully with my winter hair hats (wigs :giggle:), I'll be there soon once again.

so....can anyone help me out to figure my hair type..i think i'm either 4a or 4b, not really sure :/

You may be a mix of both! It's hard to say though now, wait until your coils grow out into a pattern. I would guess a mix of 4a/b.

This is a really good video on detangling 4b/4c hair. I think it would work with anybody who suffers with detangling
[video=youtube;RDEaqATfk70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDEaqATfk70[/video]

Another video on detangling 4b hair, and again I think this would work for anybody having trouble with detangling. This is the closest to how I detangle as far as finger parting then finger detangling before using a wide tooth comb
[video=youtube;VYx3ETNc1iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYx3ETNc1iY[/video]

Another 4b detangling vid (this time featuring an adult :lol:) Same thing- finger part, condish, wide tooth comb. I take back what I said earlier. This is pretty much exactly how I detangle (my hair is really similar to hers too). Sometimes if I need to I'll use a medium tooth comb after using the wide tooth comb. Detangling really isn't an issue for me but I know some people struggle with it or spend hours. Hopefully some of these vids will help
[video=youtube;Vi9oCHNNzjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9oCHNNzjI[/video]

Another video on detangling 4b hair, and again I think this would work for anybody having trouble with detangling. This is the closest to how I detangle as far as finger parting then finger detangling before using a wide tooth comb
[video=youtube;VYx3ETNc1iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYx3ETNc1iY[/video]

I detangle my hair exactly like this. :yep:

All these henna threads make me want to try it again. Problem is I already have a set routine and my hair is on cruise control so I'm not sure if I should be shaking things up right now

I've still been cowashing and bunning and my hair seems to be progressing well. I'm going to try a rollerset (maybe a flexirod set?) this Saturday but I won't straighten my roots afterwards. I just want a rollerset bun for a week to let me sleep for a while longer. I'll post pictures!

Still doing twists/twistouts, its too cold for WNG and they were giving me too many ssk.

I am sooo with you on this one. I love wash and go's but those pesky ssk's were/are driving me bananas. So like you I'm doing the twist/twistout styles. I can get past the cold weather by doing all the hair prep at night and banding, that way when I wake in the morning, all I would have to do is just spritz to refresh and not worry about having a soaked and wet head. Actually, in my area the weather is still warm enough to be able to wear a wash and go, I just don't like what happens to my ends:nono:.

Stocking. I tried the goody band but it hurts after a few minutes
With the stocking it's adjustable
This may be a dumb question but what part of the stocking are you using, the waist band or the leg??? I'm going to TRY and make a puff this weekend cause you guys are killing me on this thread!! I haven't done any work this morning just reading trying to figure out how to do a really cute puff! Thanks for the thread!

Hi,
i don't know if it is to late or me to join, and i can't post pic but i have measured my hair on the 2end Sept. 2010 and it was between 4-7 inches its in soooo many layers , am 100% natural and ive BC on July 09 after a mis treatement of my stylest who is heat lover. my hair never been past my shoulder actually nl most of my life
so am i welcome here???

Hi Ladies!!! Another quicke check in, really miss you all - I've been so busy.

Quick update, here's how I've been wearing my hair the last couple of weeks:

I kinda got bored of twists, I sweat every single day and my twists were so shrunken and were getting on my nerves so I've taken a few weeks off twisting. Maybe 2 more weeks then twists until the Xmas party period.

I braid my hair (4 sections) at night, moisturise and take them down in the morning and pull into a puff... simple :) Less SSKs than when I'm in twists as braids stretch my ends much better than twists.

Everyone looking good :yep:

Hi,
i don't know if it is to late or me to join, and i can't post pic but i have measured my hair on the 2end Sept. 2010 and it was between 4-7 inches its in soooo many layers , am 100% natural and ive BC on July 09 after a mis treatement of my stylest who is heat lover. my hair never been past my shoulder actually nl most of my life
so am i welcome here???
Yes cadi!:welcome: You're definitely welcome. We've slowed things down a bit because those of us who bc'd in the spring are getting in the groove of things but you and any other newly naturals are still encouraged to join, post pics, ask questions, write about how you're coming along as a natural, etc. Feel free to use the mention feature if you want to get the attention of a particular person (or people) who posted in this thread.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but what part of the stocking are you using, the waist band or the leg??? I'm going to TRY and make a puff this weekend cause you guys are killing me on this thread!! I haven't done any work this morning just reading trying to figure out how to do a really cute puff! Thanks for the thread!

Use the leg part of the pantyhose.

Thank you andromeda for making me feel welcome here, im kinda new to the participating in boards in general so thanks for the advice on how to use this feature

some more information about my hair
i have very simple regi:
cowash every day or every other day
moist/seal twice a day
DC once a week under the steamer
henna every other week in winter and weekly in summer
i used to manipulate my hair a lot but i staeted conrow last week
i have all my stables except from moisturiser any suggestions will be appreciated knowing that i try to avoid products with paraben, frangrance and sulfate

ive used protien shake for one month and it was wonderful ive got around 1.50 inches in one month but ive noticed that my bust became bigger so ive stoped it

I am sooo with you on this one. I love wash and go's but those pesky ssk's were/are driving me bananas. So like you I'm doing the twist/twistout styles. I can get past the cold weather by doing all the hair prep at night and banding, that way when I wake in the morning, all I would have to do is just spritz to refresh and not worry about having a soaked and wet head. Actually, in my area the weather is still warm enough to be able to wear a wash and go, I just don't like what happens to my ends:nono:.

Steph, I was loving my WNG in the summer but as my hair grew I started noticing the ssk. I've trimmed 3 times already (at least an inch) and I was getting sick of it. I know some naturals don't mind them so much, but I hate the way they feel against my fingers.

I was going to flat iron for xmas, but now I don't know. I'm just so lazy, I don't feel like going through alladat, LOL. Anyone planning on flat ironing soon? What's your plan of attack??

I like wng too it define my curls better and I use curlygirl methods. I have major skrinkages so once a week I'll do twist/braid on dry hair and either bantu knot or rollerset them. No moisture problems for me, I use creamy leave-ins, ceramides oils(kuku, wheat germ, sunflower) or any oils mixs.

Okay ladies.....a natural newbie.

So I brought some henna today and I want to make sure these are the right products to try. I am sooo nervous about the possibilities of hair that is TOO red (okay I want no red at all really). The saleswoman at the Indian market was very knowledgeable but you know sometimes they just tell you what THEY use. So if you will please advise on these two products. Ooops I also got Amla powder and oil.

yhst-17500552758088_2131_45138290

and

Neha%20Cane1.jpg

:curtain: Checking in...I haven't been on all week. I started using more protein again and I really see some improvement with my hair. I still do WnGs for now. I've been cowashing with Suave Humectant, then Suave Damage Care condish (protein), then following up with GVP's version of Redken Extreme Anti-Snap leave-in.:yep: I know this sounds like a lot of protein but my hair thrives from it. I still moisturize with Sta Sof Fro and baggy at night.

I bought another bottle of Wheat Germ Oil from the Vitamin Shoppe today. I'll mix this with ORS Replenishing Pak. I did this one day last week as an overnight prepoo and my hair loved it. My hair felt stronger and soft after I rinsed it out. I haven't decided if I'm going to Henna this weekend or try something different.

Keep up the good work Ladies!

Back