~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Has anybody used cantu shea butter leave in? I ran out of condish and I'm in the market for a new leave in. I picked it out on a whim. I'll post a review after a few days
I used it a lot during my transition my relax hair loved it, natural left residue. There is two difference texture of the leave in, one is creamy/smooth the other is chunky and thick. Whereever you buy it, just make sure you check the jars if you end up liken it.

Has anybody used cantu shea butter leave in? I ran out of condish and I'm in the market for a new leave in. I picked it out on a whim. I'll post a review after a few days

I'm currently using it. It make my hair feel soft and silky (it has cones which requires me to wash at least once a week because of buildup).

It doesn't "play nice" with other products and will leave white flakes, balls, residue, etc...in your hair.

I use it with my Hello Hydration condition without any residue problems. I have to use it with HH because its not moisturizing enough by itself for my hair.

:hiya2:Hi ladies! I am currently counting down the days until I bc which is 3 weeks away. So in three weeks i will be joining the natural world. My question to you all is, what style should be my first style as a natural, I wont have too long to style in the am but i will be bcing it before i go to bed. I had a few options in mind...wash n go with some kinky curly curling custard; a twistout; braidout; a big half blown out fro. :help2:any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and i will have transitioned for 18 months.

[USER]StephElise [/USER] StephElise, pasting response from base thread :grin::

I got my order from Camden Grey yesterday, just in time for my birthday (today). I really like the Butter Madness Creme, it has a definite coco butter scent to it. I mixed it with some other oils (castor, almond, rice bran, hemp, and palm) and used it to seal over some aloe vera gel. My puff is still pretty soft this evening, and I think it works well as a hair butter/sealant with the additions, but maybe not so much as a hair moisturizer (body moisturizer definitely!). I ordered some shea butter that will come next week, and I plan to mix some into the butter madness as well.

Last edited:
:hiya2:Hi ladies! I am currently counting down the days until I bc which is 3 weeks away. So in three weeks i will be joining the natural world. My question to you all is, what style should be my first style as a natural, I wont have too long to style in the am but i will be bcing it before i go to bed. I had a few options in mind...wash n go with some kinky curly curling custard; a twistout; braidout; a big half blown out fro. :help2:any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and i will have transitioned for 18 months.

My vote is a braidout or twistout. Congratulations in advance!

Hi! Congrats to you! I'd agree with Foxglove about a braidout or twistout.

Congrats on your impending bc, zhittycurls!!!:woot: ditto what fox said.

How has everyone tweaked their regimens for the fall/winter? For those newly naturals who bcd in the spring, do you feel like you've hit your stride, like you're graduated from "new"?

I'm trying to stay in twists over the winer/fall months...that's the biggest tweak vs. summer.

How has everyone tweaked their regimens for the fall/winter? For those newly naturals who bcd in the spring, do you feel like you've hit your stride, like you're graduated from "new"?

I've been MIA for a while now so I figured I'd jump in for a quick update. I am going through an "I hate my hair" phase so I decided to get some mini box braids before I did something stupid. They cost a grip but look good. I'm gonna end the year in these and I'm hoping for an inch of growth. Other than that, everything is pretty much the same.

Over and out...

Attachments

• box braids 10-22-10.jpg
    box braids 10-22-10.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 44

I've begun using castor oil & my hair loves it! Keeps my hair very soft. I'm also toying with protective styling more often. At some point I'll get the hang of it. I'll be 5 months post BC on the 29th. I think once I reach 6 months, I'll stop saying I'm newly natural.

So far all I've done is change my sealer to a coconut oil/castor oil/avocado oil/EVOO mix. I'm planning on getting braids between December and February so my hair can be hidden during the coldest months

Well for me, since it's still warm, I haven't changed much with my hair reggie. But when it does start to FEEL fall like, I will be wearing my single strand twists a lot more. I'm also toying with the idea of installing some corn rows. I kinda do feel as though I have graduated from new. But the excitement of me going natural is still there so it hasn't gotten old just yet.
Oh also ladies, incase you didn't know. To all the castor oil users out there, castor oil acts as a humectant. Using this in a low humdity environment could actually draw the moisture out of your hair much like glycerin can. But if it's mixed with other oils, you may not get the drying effect. I haven't tried it out just yet in inclement weather to see if it does indeed dry my hair but I just wanted to pass this on. Everyone's hair is different and you may be just fine using it during the winter. Just something to keep in mind.
Castor Oil - Definition and Characteristics

Castor oil is very soothing and lubricating to the skin because it is rich in fatty acids. It acts as a humectant attracting moisture to the skin.

Last edited:
:hiya:

Loving all the updates and new looks. This thread inspires on so many different levels. I've been sticking to WNG's on the regular. Will post pics soon!!!!

Nothing much is going on here. I went to a baby shower yesterday and everyone commented on how much they liked my hair. Many of my longtime friends that I haven't seen in ages were in shock!

Today I am going to experiment with a twist-rod set that I saw on Kimmaytube's channel. I will probably post pics tomorrow.

Thanks for your answers, ladies. :yep: and thanks tongued info, stephelise.

I've been braided up underneath my wig. I'm being lazy and I'm annoyed that my edges are so sensitive.

I think by the end of this year, I'll have graduated from newly natural - that'll be ~ 6 months post bc.

eta: steph, please forgive "tongued info" :lol: I was typing on my ipod and it must have auto-corrected whatever I typed originally. I'm pretty sure I mean to type "thanks for the info":lachen:

Last edited:
Well I did the twist-rod set with great results. So great that I put my hair back into a puff! It really does look good, but my hair isn't long enough to "hang" the way that I want it to yet. I looked like Michael Jackson!

Hi everyone! Whew, it's been a while and I need to catch up on the posts, but wanted to stop by and say that I am still loving being natural. I'll be 3 months post BC on the 31st. I guess I'm still in the TWA stage and can't do a whole lot with my hair. I'm still trying to figure out what my hair likes though! I may end up getting cornrows for a while, we'll see. I'll post an updated picture when I get home this evening. Everyone's hair look really good! Congrats to those who've recently BC and will be BC soon!

I have grey hair popping in full force:nono: ( I think the chemical in the relaxers were suppressing them):look: anyway, I want to do a black rinse.

Any suggestions on good ones? I don't want a set back from coloring.

Because I have a scalp condition, I am looking into trying Herbatint. It is chemical free. I believe there are a few other chemical free dyes out there.

I am going through the exact same thing! My stylist had recommended a "color gloss" when I complained about my greys last time, but I don't know if it is a semi/demi/permanent color. The color is by Wella. I have an appointment in December, so I will see.

When I was relaxed, I used Dudley's for all of my semi-permanent colors. A couple of ladies in my office were raving about Bigen semi-permanent color that can be purchased from Sally's. The others swear by a demi-permanent hair color from Clairol.

HTH

I have grey hair popping in full force:nono: ( I think the chemical in the relaxers were suppressing them):look: anyway, I want to do a black rinse.

Any suggestions on good ones? I don't want a set back from coloring.

:hiya:

My hair was in twists for almost a month. Took them out, wore a twistout for a few days and finally deepconditioned, cowashed and detangled. My hair's in 2 french braids now, I plan to take them down for a puff for this evening. For the next week, this will be my routine - braid at night, take down and pull into a puff :yep:

You're all looking good ladies :)

I think my hair is shedding due to to much protein. I've noticed that the longer my hair gets the nees for my hair change...is that normal?

I just wanted to officially post that I am now all natural (go me! go me!). I did the Big Chop at 14 months post texlaxer on October 24. Whoot! Whoot!

:curtain: Checking in...

Nothing major to report. I will be 6 months post BC soon and I love being natural!:afro: I still run into ignorant people that make comments about my hair. Unfortunately, these nasty comments come from other African American women.:nono: I don't let it bother me though. I'm really surprised how big my afro is now but I'm a little discouraged about my nape setback.:sad: However, I'm happy to report that it's growing back. Lesson learned...my hair (especially the nape) still loves alot of protein.

Hello ladies. I've been MIA for a minute but I'm back now. As for my hair I've been mostly rocking twistouts. I don't really have any pictures of just my hair but these are some recent pics from when my family visited.

*Poof*

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a while mainly because I have been fustrated adjusting to my hair. What I've learned is that my hair does not like poo... I have tried so many, yet my hair feels like wires. So I've been cowashing and clarifying. My hair soaks up moisture so I packs it in. Several products I've tried have note work, but what does is shea butter and vatika oil. I'm doing more searching on natural products (butters and oils) to see what mixture I can come up with.

Oh! I'm 7 most post and can get my hair in a puff (finally) I also wear twist but the shrinkage is killing me! I'm hanging in there though!

Back