~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

So I just wanted to show ya'll a new do that I came up with. Really simple and cute...at least I think it is.:grin: It's just single twists bangs on one side with the other side pulled up to a tiny little puff and the back is a wash and go.

New do1.jpgnewdo2.jpgnewdo3.jpg

I'm getting a little bored with my look. I'm going to try blowdrying before doing a twistout every once in a while. I like how this one turned out so I'll attempt this method
[video=youtube;jtLhG1vxD7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLhG1vxD7A[/video]

I'm getting a little bored with my look. I'm going to try blowdrying before doing a twistout every once in a while. I like how this one turned out so I'll attempt this method
[video=youtube;jtLhG1vxD7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLhG1vxD7A[/video]

Let us know how that works out for you! I would have like to try that this weekend but I'm henna'ing now.

I blew out my hair yesterday...results in my siggy. My hair felt kinda dry afterwards, so I need to find a good moisturizer...or get a steamer :P

Oh yeah, and I'm one year post relaxer today...:grin:

Last edited:
I've been wearing my hair in puff everyday. Kinda getting tired of it. I have also been doing flat twistouts, but putting it in a twistout puff. When it gets cold, I'm gonna go back to my crochet braids. Then wear my own hair again next year when it warms up.

Are any of you ladies using protein? I haven't used any since I became natural. I ave Emergencee, but that may be too harsh. So I used some Aphogee Green Tea spray. I have a bottle from when I was relaxed. Looks like I'm shedding less/having less breakage.

Hello everyone! I'm new (although I've stalked the lhcf for years), so bear with me...

When you BCd: My husband attacked me with the clippers on July 31st, 2010. There was no transition for me as I now had a buzz cut (that I loved).

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: I guess i hadn't had a relaxer since May 2010...so 2 1/2 months. My BC cut out all the relaxed bits, though.

Have you been natural before? When?: I've been natural before, in Summer 2006. That lasted about 2 months before I ran screaming back to the relaxer. In hindsight I didn't know a thing about natural hair (or MY hair), so I went about it all wrong and it was a big mess.

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.): I would say that my hair (using the LOIS system) is an O, maybe an OS. Using the other system i THINK I'm a 4a (and I could very well be wrong). If I take a random piece of hair out it falls in a perfect circle. The diameter of the curl is about the size of pencil. When stretched my hair pulls into definite spiral. The amount of shrinkage is like 50%, but that's from only 2 months of being natural. The strand size is medium to fine, and the density is thready.

Your current regimen: I Cowash daily because my hair LOVES moisture (and also because I live in Hawaii and the weather is beautiful year round). I was using Hello Hydration by Herbal Essence, but I've since switched to Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter Moisturizing conditioner. After I get out of the shower i put on a bit of Giovanni Direct Leave-In mixed with a bit of Amla oil, and I'm done I DID just discover Cantu Shea Butter, though, so i plan on adding that to my daily mix. I was doing an overnight Amla oil DC weekly and then an Ayurvedic mask (Amla, Brahmi, Shikakai) on the next morning (usually a friday night/saturday morning combo), but that got time consuming. Now i just do a DC with the Suave Almond and Shea butter/Amla oil mixture and put on my heat cap for an hour or two...and I get the same results (and it's MUCH easier to rinse out ;o).

Your favorite styles: Right now all I can do is wear my TWA. At work, though, I rock a wig (WITHOUT a wig cap, since wearing a nylon wig cap for nigh on 2 months damaged my hair something serious). I'm waiting for the day that my hair becomes uniform enough for me to rock my natural style to work (as you can see in the pics, my back sides are giving me problems).

Your current length and goal length: Current length is TWA. Goal length is anything other than TWA :o)

Your photo album, if any: Public Home | Nived32 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

I'm hoping to get some encouragement that this twa phase won't last forever, and also to find out exactly where the heck these straight bits of hair are coming from :o) I'm also looking to confirm (not that it matters) that my hair IS 4a and/or O (or OS) type.

Thanks!

nived32, :welcome:!!

Are any of you ladies using protein? I haven't used any since I became natural. I ave Emergencee, but that may be too harsh. So I used some Aphogee Green Tea spray. I have a bottle from when I was relaxed. Looks like I'm shedding less/having less breakage.

I try to use a light protein weekly, such as OA GPB, I really couldn't do with just moisture conditioners.
For me it's harder to tell when I have moisture overload (or maybe I'm not getting it at all) now that I'm natural, but my hair feels and looks so much better when I use protein every once in a while.

I can't wait for this weekend for a multitude of reasons, but one of them is getting my hair done!! I went to Sally's this weekend to look at the products and tools I would need to straighten my hair and I realized that I didn't want to spend that much money when I only straighten my hair about 3 times a year. When I really think about it, my skills aren't that great, I wouldn't be totally satisfied with the results, and I'd still be using heat. So this morning I made an appointment with the lady that straightened my hair 4 times during my transition. She used the Mizani Thermasmooth System and my hair always reverted back and I had no breakage. I figure if she can do that on my weak transitioning hair, she should be able to handle my healthy all natural hair.

I'll post pics after I get my hair done! I will be refusing the trim she will undoubtedly suggest though.

I blew out my hair yesterday...results in my siggy. My hair felt kinda dry afterwards, so I need to find a good moisturizer...or get a steamer :P

Oh yeah, and I one year post relaxer today...:grin:

Congratulations, Sis! That's great progress!:woohoo:

I've been wearing my hair in puff everyday. Kinda getting tired of it. I have also been doing flat twistouts, but putting it in a twistout puff. When it gets cold, I'm gonna go back to my crochet braids. Then wear my own hair again next year when it warms up.

I use Surge 14 about 2-3 times a week. I also cowash with Suave Damage Care Condish (about $2 a bottle from Walmart or Family Dollar/Dollar General)or Infusium 23 (the rinse out kind). I use a moisturizing condish first to detangle, then the Suave Damage Care (or Infusium) leave on for about 3-5 mins, the moisturizing condish again and/or DC.

ETA: My hair likes protein so this may be too much for someone that's protein sensitive.

Last edited:
I will be getting my hair straightened in December for the first time in nearly a year. I will also be getting a trim and a color gloss. My grays are OUT OF CONTROL...

Has anyone had any experience with demi-permanent color? The salon uses the professional line of Wella color.

I can't wait for this weekend for a multitude of reasons, but one of them is getting my hair done!! I went to Sally's this weekend to look at the products and tools I would need to straighten my hair and I realized that I didn't want to spend that much money when I only straighten my hair about 3 times a year. When I really think about it, my skills aren't that great, I wouldn't be totally satisfied with the results, and I'd still be using heat. So this morning I made an appointment with the lady that straightened my hair 4 times during my transition. She used the Mizani Thermasmooth System and my hair always reverted back and I had no breakage. I figure if she can do that on my weak transitioning hair, she should be able to handle my healthy all natural hair.

I'll post pics after I get my hair done! I will be refusing the trim she will undoubtedly suggest though.

Let us know how that works out for you! I would have like to try that this weekend but I'm henna'ing now.

So... It half worked for me. Blowdried it and put it into a twist and curl. Here it is as I unraveled the hair this morning. Way less definition then when I twist with curly hair
IMG_0831.jpg

Here is is taken down and lightly separated
IMG_0832.jpg

It actually looked semi cute from the front but from the side it was another story
IMG_0837.jpg

I tried putting half up half down (should have taken a pic) but I wanted to show off how curly it was. Sooo this is how I went to work today. My hair was huge in person. I even surprised myself when I caught a reflection of myself :lol:
IMG_0839.jpg

I didn't use any gel so as long as I keep retwisting nightly I can keep playing with it. Later this week I'll figure out a style that looks good both up and down. Does anybody have any style suggestions that look good from the front and the side?

ETA after fotki-researching I may have to add a styling foam to my products. Gel leaves my hair too hard and I can never figure out how much to use when I use it to twist

Last edited:
Welcome nived32!:welcome2:

I finally found a method that was working for me and my wash-n-go's and then it suddenly got very cold very quickly. I love how my hair looks co-washed and with gel but I freeze my butt off when my head is wet in the morning time. Is there a better way to achieve some curl definition on a dry(or damp) head that'll last?

Welcome nived32!:welcome2:

I finally found a method that was working for me and my wash-n-go's and then it suddenly got very cold very quickly. I love how my hair looks co-washed and with gel but I freeze my butt off when my head is wet in the morning time. Is there a better way to achieve some curl definition on a dry(or damp) head that'll last?

Instead of washing in the morning and having a head full of wet hair you could spritz with water so your hair is damp enough for the gel to work but not fully wet. What I do is get in the shower with my hair uncovered and the mist from the shower is enough to get my hair ready to style without washing it. I've managed to get 3rd or 4th day hair with this method too and I'm sure I'd be able to go further

Temperatures are starting to drop now so I am going to have to find a PS. The WnG and puffs are okay when I'm home (Florida) but this won't work when I make deliveries in other areas of the country. I may have to go back to Senegalese Twists or Kinky Twists.

I took some pictures today of my progress (I posted them to my profile) that I thought I would share. It's been five months since my BC. My routine is usually as follows-

1. Cowash with AO Honeysuckle Rose or Oyin Honeyhemp conditioner
2. Style with Oyin Oyin Whipped Pudding and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel
3. Deep condition at least once every 2 weeks with a hot towl and AO

My styling routine has actually worked better than the KCCC products b/c 1. it's way cheaper and 2. my hair dries a lot faster (used to take most of the day when I used KCCC). But it's been getting colder in the mornings so I've taken the advice of some fellow LHCFers and started spritzing my hair and then reapplying a little of my products in the morning. But I'm looking forward to twisting soon. (I think it's still too short to twist).

Last edited:
I took some pictures today of my progress (I posted them to my profile) that I thought I would share. It's been five months since my BC. My routine is usually as follows-

2. Style with Oyin Whipped Pudding and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel

My styling routine has actually worked better than the KCCC products b/c 1. it's way cheaper and 2. my hair dries a lot faster (used to take most of the day when I used KCCC). But it's been getting colder in the mornings so I've taken the advice of some fellow LHCFers and started spritzing my hair and then reapplying a little of my products in the morning. But I'm looking forward to twisting soon. (I think it's still too short to twist).

Attachments

• hair 006.jpg
    hair 006.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 36
  • hair 001.jpg
    hair 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Just came to add pics of my hair. I got it done yesterday and it was beautiful, but I had a busy day and slept with it in a high bun instead of wrapping it so it's poofed a little today. I don't mind, because I'm loving the smooth straight bun I have in my hair right now. Here's a picture of it this morning directly out of my sleep bun, and a picture of me pulling the back to show the length.

Last edited:

2. Style with Oyin Whipped Pudding and Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel

Nice progress! Your hair looks almost exactly like mine, length, curls, thickness, everything!

cch24, your hair is so thick and beautiful!! You're already well on on your way to BSL, your hair is doing so well!
No wonder though, as you're even bunning when you've just been to the salon to have it straightened.. I'd be wearing it down and showing off that thickness and length until it fully reverted. :grin:
Keep up the good work!

I've been playing around with KCCC and I dunno if I like it. It worked really well one week the terrible the next. Knot today is my new boo, however!

hi Ladies.

Loving the pictures :yep:

I'm soo busy! My hair's been in twists for over 2 weeks now, I redid them a week ago, I always have major shrinkage because I cowash in the twists and sweat a lot. I can't wait for my hair to be a little longer so I can pull it up into a looser bun in twists.

TBH, I think I'm going to be in twists 90% of the time until I go to the US for Xmas.

HHG Ladies :)

I have my hair in a flat twist out right now. I'm gonna retwist in a few. Thinking about getting crochets braids back in for the winter. Don't know yet. Is everyone going to be wearing their own hair out in the cold for the winter? I think I should hide mine. Idk. :ohwell:

Hey ladies,

I am still loving the easy maintenance of the Braid-n-curl. I'll get around to some other styles eventually!:lol:

Attachments

• 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 097.JPG
    097.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 33
Welp, I missed my two years post anniversary because I was busy with school but I still can't believe I made it!! I just shampoo'd my hair to get all the cones from the heat protectant off. I have no heat damage, and I'm sitting here doing a protein treatment for about a half hour and then I will DC overnight. Back to the usual routine until December when I straighten again for a wedding.

Welp, I missed my two years post anniversary because I was busy with school but I still can't believe I made it!! I just shampoo'd my hair to get all the cones from the heat protectant off. I have no heat damage, and I'm sitting here doing a protein treatment for about a half hour and then I will DC overnight. Back to the usual routine until December when I straighten again for a wedding.

Congratulations on making 2 years post!:woohoo:

Back