~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I'm seriously thinking about doing a blowout this weekend. I really wanted to stay away from heat until my 6 month post BC anniversary. I'm not sure if I'm going to flat-iron as well or just blow it out and pull it back into a puff.:ohwell:

Sounds like a good idea Plat. Maybe all of us 6 mth-ers should do a blowout to see where our length is now. If you do, you know what to do. :Flahsssss Post pitchas.

Hello ladies I would like to join this thread too :) I BCed on the 22nd of May after a one year 3 week transition :)

My current regimen is
-DC once a week with Naked Boost, EVOO
-Co-wash 2-3 times a week with any cheapie conditioner like herbal essences hello hydration, aussie moist conditioner or anything else I can find
-Moisturise daily with my mix of EVOO/EVCO, cheapie conditioner, water - gonna switch it up a bit soon once this batch is finished
-Whole head baggy with my moisturiser in over night

So far the styles i have been wearing are wash and go puffs, but my hair is too long to do them now, but to short to be put in a pony tail :perplexed so i'm gonna try doing a twistout

i would like to know whether as my hair gets longer i could still do wash and gos because i really like that style. I have a way of doing it without getting tangles so thats good. Also how are you ladies clarifying, my hair seems to have a bit of build up, and also how are you controling your hair porosity ?

Hey everybody! I've discovered the joys of banding to stretch out my hair for styling. I also ordered a butter creme base and hemp & rice bran oils from Camden Grey that I plan to use for a winter moisturizer.

I am doing my FIRST roller set on natural hair, evah! I clarified with Aubrey Organics, moisturized with Skala G3 for about an hour and a half, used KCCC leave in and diluted some Lottabody OLive Oil setting lotion to set. I am not taking my rollers out until Monday and when I do, I am going to apply a little coconut oil to each section.

I don't know if I am going to use a comb or just use my fingers to rake. I can't wait to see the results!

I reeeeeally need a trim. It takes too much work to straighten and I'm scared of somebody else ripping through my hair to straighten it. It needs to be straightened bc it shrinks so much it would be easy to cut inches off without knowing it. Decisions decisions...

Ok, so I just trimmed my hair. It is sooooooo soft! Wow! It feels like a whole new head! I must have had scab hair or something. It's a breeze to detangle now. I'm gonna wash and dc, then braid them in sections to have it stretched out for tomorrow. My hair is ALWAYS in it's stretched state. I have to to avoid tangles.

Hey everybody! I've discovered the joys of banding to stretch out my hair for styling. I also ordered a butter creme base and hemp & rice bran oils from Camden Grey that I plan to use for a winter moisturizer.
Ooh that sounds exciting. What are you going to add to your bases to make them "handmade"? Are you just going to add the hemp and rice bran oils to the base? I'm thinking about buying some bases as well so I can hook up a DC.

I am doing my FIRST roller set on natural hair, evah! I clarified with Aubrey Organics, moisturized with Skala G3 for about an hour and a half, used KCCC leave in and diluted some Lottabody OLive Oil setting lotion to set. I am not taking my rollers out until Monday and when I do, I am going to apply a little coconut oil to each section.

I don't know if I am going to use a comb or just use my fingers to rake. I can't wait to see the results!

I have yet to do this but I plan to at some point. Hope you get some good results.

I reeeeeally need a trim. It takes too much work to straighten and I'm scared of somebody else ripping through my hair to straighten it. It needs to be straightened bc it shrinks so much it would be easy to cut inches off without knowing it. Decisions decisions...
Do you dust your ends at all while in twists? I find this to be a pretty effective way of keeping SSK's at bay or at least under control somewhat. At least you wouldn't be cutting too much of your length this way.

Oh and to all my curl activator sistas out there, I have found my staple curl activator gel. Hawaiian Silky! I absolutely love this stuff more than any other curl activator gel I have used. It adds some weight to my hair for elongation, still has the moisturizing properties that I love, plus it clumps my hair. I still follow up with my Olive Oil Ecostyler and shake it like salt shayka!! I actually felt my hair flopping like a weight on my head like never before. I can feel that I'm retaining some length. So if you love activator gels, next time you need to reup, consider the Hawaiian silky. I love it so much that I just might go to the BSS and buy 3 more.:yep:

:wavey: newly naturals!

I wore my hair out this week in my favorite style - the puff. I just love how it flatters my face.
5081661246_edeafac7ec_m.jpg

5081663498_77fa2153e5_m.jpg

eta: this was a wash-n-go puff. I added shea moisture milk (no allergic reaction :) ) and jbco.

Thinking about doing an aphogee protein treatment. :scratchch: The 2-step was one of the first products that I bought in my hhj but I haven't done it in ages. I felt like I needed it earlier this week but I'll have to re-assess, as I don't want protein overload.

Last edited:
Hi natural and newbie! I have not checked in because I'm not doing anything special or different. I wear puff/buns during week, and may wear washngo on weekends. I'm 10 months natural, straighten maybe 2 times this year. I'm doing a roller set today and SUCK at roller setting always have, I just need to give it up, all these roller just taking up space. I'm going to flat iron and see what kind of growth I've gotten. I hope my ends are good!

Here is some information on marshmallow that help with slip and detangling I got from manenchic aka (southerntese old member here) I long-term transition following her. I also like panetheol in my products for slip/detangling.

maneandchic
Althaea officinalis also known as marshmallow is a super conditioning, mucilaginous herb. That means it will have crazy 'slip'. What's slip? Slip is the degree to which a conditioner has the ability to detangle with ease or the degree of ease a comb can slip through your hair. This is very important for women with curly or highly textured hair. The less we have to detangle, the less hair we loose and the more hair we retain.

Let me introduce you to a few products that contain Marshmallow.

•Nurture My Body Shampoo
•Nurture My Body Conditioner
•Nurture My Body Baby Shampoo
•Giovanni Direct Leave-In
•Kinky Curly Knot Today
•Beauty with a Cause Conditioner
•Nature's Gate Lavender & Aloe Conditioner
•Nature's Gate Lemongrass & Clary Sage Conditioner
•Nature's Gate Chamomile & Lemon Verbena Conditioner
•Aura Revitalizing Conditioner, Cherry Almond Bark
•Nana Essence Herbal Hair Mask
•Alba Botanica Hair: Conditioner - leave-in
•Poofy Organics Dynamite Detangler & Leave-In Conditioner
•Creme Brulee for Kinks, Curls and Coils-Moisturizer for Textured Hair
•Christine Gant's Herbal Tea Rinse
Marshmallow is also good for dry, itchy scalp

whoawhoa college life has been taken all of my attention i havent checked in n a while ! Welll i am experiencing alot of growing but i hate well strongly dislike short hair on me :( idk i thought it would grow on me but i still miss my hair lol :cry3:*sigh* my hair flat ironed is btw ear and neck length im shooting for NL /SL JUNE 2011:cup:. i am having ridculously amounts of itching ! ive been stickin to hiding my hair (weavs and braids). but i do want to wear my hair out nxt summer if i reach my goal. my challenge is only length ! i love my newly natural curly texture thou:grin:

Hey everyone! I'm loving all the updates and newbies. I'm just checking in. I'm 16 months post relaxer, 2 months post BC. I'm doing buns, braidouts, and puffs.

I ran out of my African shea butter and had some cantu shea butter under the sink ( I remember that I didn't like it because for some reason it does not play well with other products and will leave little white balls in my hair) well after I washed and conditioned with Hello Hydration, I applied more HH conditioner as a leave in and then applied the cantu (expecting the worse) but there were no white particles. So I braided my hair up and let it air dry, the next day my hair felt like butter. It was so soft and silky (I've never had the silky feeling. I guess its because of the cones. I wash and condition weekly so buildup should not be an issue.

So that's what I'm using at the present time. At night I spritz my hair with water, apply HH cond, apply cantu, then braid or twist.

I added pics to my fotki.

I have had lots of problems with this site lately so I haven't been able to post that much.:angry2: Nothing much to report, I decided to step it up on the protein again. Even though my hair is doing well with Jheri juice, i got better growth when I had a protein/moisture mix. I'm getting good growth but a lot of shedding as well.:nono:

Keep up the good work ladies. Hopefully these site issues will be resolved soon.:computer:

^^speaking of protein I got 1L of Joico K Pak reconstructor for $17 at Ross so I will be using it as my protein treatment. I'll be using it tonight. I guess I'll use every 1-2 months

So I felt like Protective styling, and I'm subscribed to this girl. I thought this style looked cute. I just tried to replicate it, and DH already commented on how cute it was. And he hasn't done that since I bc'd.
[video=youtube;FJ2ATbFEv9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ2ATbFEv9M[/video]

^^I just watched this video yesterday because I'm subbed to Kerri's YT channel too! Do you have any pics? This was something I wanted to try when I got a bit more length.

ROLLER SET MAYDAY!!!!!

Ok, I really thought I was doing something. Got me some spanky new rollers (magnetic) a HUGE bottle of Lottabody Olive Oil Setting lotion in anticipation of doing a roller set. Ok, I did my hair on Saturday and did not take the rollers out till Monday. I did use my wide tooth comb to comb my hair. It looked "ok" nothing special. As the day went on, I noticed that my hair looked puffy, like cotton. So, I am thinking I used too much setting lotion and that I needed to add a little coconut oil on the ends as well. Ok, Monday night that is what I did. I used a little setting lotion with some coconut oil on the ends. Today, I still have cotton hair. So, I am back to square one. It appears that my hair is reverting with the use of the setting lotion.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody used cantu shea butter leave in? I ran out of condish and I'm in the market for a new leave in. I picked it out on a whim. I'll post a review after a few days

^^I just watched this video yesterday because I'm subbed to Kerri's YT channel too! Do you have any pics? This was something I wanted to try when I got a bit more length.

BiaM here are some pics. I plan on keeping it like this until this weekend which is wash day. I did the back of mine a lil different from hers.

b0222244.jpg

0d82082f-1.jpg

337a1cca.jpg

ROLLER SET MAYDAY!!!!!

Ok, I really thought I was doing something. Got me some spanky new rollers (magnetic) a HUGE bottle of Lottabody Olive Oil Setting lotion in anticipation of doing a roller set. Ok, I did my hair on Saturday and did not take the rollers out till Monday. I did use my wide tooth comb to comb my hair. It looked "ok" nothing special. As the day went on, I noticed that my hair looked puffy, like cotton. So, I am thinking I used too much setting lotion and that I needed to add a little coconut oil on the ends as well. Ok, Monday night that is what I did. I used a little setting lotion with some coconut oil on the ends. Today, I still have cotton hair. So, I am back to square one. It appears that my hair is reverting with the use of the setting lotion.

Any suggestions?

Did you use a dryer or air dry? You may need to use a hood dryer to get non poofy results. On the other hand some people's hair (like mine) won't stay sleek with a rollerset

Did you use a dryer or air dry? You may need to use a hood dryer to get non poofy results. On the other hand some people's hair (like mine) won't stay sleek with a rollerset

No I air dried. I haven't used a dryer to dry my hair in ages. When my hair was relaxed, I still could get a nice sleek roller set (air drying). I just * assumed* the same thing would happen now. Guess I was wrong.

I will take your suggestion and try using my bonnet dryer to see what happens. I'll let you know!

pookaloo83 It came out really nice!! I'm definitely going to try this when my hair grows out a little!

I did my first twists yesterday since I was off yesterday and today and am hoping I can rock a twist out tomorrow. My hair is growing much faster than I expected :)

Attachments

• 1019101629a.jpg
    1019101629a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 30
ITA with the earlier comment. Definitely use setting lotion and sit under a bonnet dryer for at least 20 minutes. Also, the more you comb your natural rollerset, the more it wil puff/frizz. If possible, only finger comb, put in an updo, or do a spiral set so that you are only minimally touching/combing your hair. These are the steps that I take with my natural 4a/b hair.

No I air dried. I haven't used a dryer to dry my hair in ages. When my hair was relaxed, I still could get a nice sleek roller set (air drying). I just * assumed* the same thing would happen now. Guess I was wrong.

I will take your suggestion and try using my bonnet dryer to see what happens. I'll let you know!

That's a cute style pook! I think I will try it one day next week.

I am going to try this style for this weekend:

[video=youtube;FdDXj1zWtoA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdDXj1zWtoA[/video]

Long time no post... Ummm I dont know what to say about my hair... I had twists in maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago and have been rocking hats everyday since... in between trying to moisturize, but my hair is now so dry it looks like who done it and ran!... I did reach SL (yay)... I recently henna'd (did the twists after the henna) ... I used the Lush Hanna bar so that could have an effect on it. I received my hairveda order so today Im going to wash detangle moisturize and retwist...

HPIM6223.jpg

HPIM6227.jpg

@pookaloo83 It came out really nice!! I'm definitely going to try this when my hair grows out a little!

I did my first twists yesterday since I was off yesterday and today and am hoping I can rock a twist out tomorrow. My hair is growing much faster than I expected :)

They look like mine!

Still a little bored, wish I knew how to braid. I've mastered the 2 strand twist, but when your hair is only 3-4 inches long there's only so much you can do.

Anyway, did this style this morning.
pencil.png

Attachments

• IMG00020-20101021-1112.jpg
    IMG00020-20101021-1112.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 21
  • New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back