~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Good morning everyone and congrats to all the recent BC'ers! :yay:

I had a long weekend and was just too tired to wash, dc, etc. my hair last night. So, I sprayed my entire head with water, added some Garnier Fructise Leave-in and sealed with shea butter. I then parted out a chunk of hair in the front and put in small twists. I used a dab of Eco-Styler gel for each twist. The rest of the hair was pinned up in the back. In the morning I untwisted each twist and headed to work.

Here's a pic (sorry for the blur. Taken from my wack phone)

I'm glad I chose this style since it's raining in NYC today (and will be tomorrow).

Attachments

• Photo09271105.jpg
    Photo09271105.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 37
I'm going back to box braids, I'm about half done with them and plan on leaving them in longer than I did last time. This might be my protective style of choice for the fall and winter months.

Hey ladies! I finally updated my fotki. I didn't really do anything special in the month of September.

Here are a few pics(they may be huge so I apologize in advance):

Theside-vi.jpg

A cute little style I tried. It's just five flat twists on each side and a pop secured by a piece of hair candy.

Theback-vi.jpg

I blew my hair out to do some minis. Aphogee's Keratin Green Tea Mist is my best friend when it comes to blow drying.

howIcurledmyends2-vi.jpg

I tried something new with curling my ends. I spritzed the ends with water, sealed with castor oil and then two strand twist the ends of the twists together. It worked pretty well.

Minitwists-vi.jpg

The finished product. I didn't use anything except shea butter while twisting.

Hairsothick, you did a lovely job on your twists!!! Do you always blow dry prior to twisting/braiding? How long did this take and how long do you plan on keeping this style? Did you follow a tutorial?

To Platinum...Congratulations on your new grandbaby. Beautiful!!! :)

What are you all doing to style your TWAs? Are you doing finger coils?

I watched a few vids on youtube about how to put gel in it to make it look more curly and less frizzy, so I gel every morning and comb through with my fingers. Is that finger coiling?

I watched a few vids on youtube about how to put gel in it to make it look more curly and less frizzy, so I gel every morning and comb through with my fingers. Is that finger coiling?

No, when you finger coil you basically twirl pieces of hair w/ gel around your finger to make it curl. Or is that what you mean?

No, when you finger coil you basically twirl pieces of hair w/ gel around your finger to make it curl. Or is that what you mean?

Oh ok, thank you (still learning all the terms) I had tried that one morning after cowashing but it took WAY too long (it did last 2 days though)! I kind of just rake my fingers through with a little ecostyler like I'm detangling...

I love the latest pic in your siggy btw :love2: Do you use a similar method now that your hair has grown out or just apply product and go?

Oh ok, thank you (still learning all the terms) I had tried that one morning after cowashing but it took WAY too long (it did last 2 days though)! I kind of just rake my fingers through with a little ecostyler like I'm detangling...

I love the latest pic in your siggy btw :love2: Do you use a similar method now that your hair has grown out or just apply product and go?

Thank you! I always raked/smoothed product in. Last night I sectioned my hair in 8 sections and applied product like that b/c I often miss my roots when I just rake/smooth as a whole now that my hair is longer, but usually I don't care lol...

That's why I was asking what was taking you guys so long, when my hair was shorter I did a video of me doing my wash and go, and the video with me talking and everything is like seven minutes! Here it is if you wanna see - YouTube - My Wash n Go.

Hairsothick, you did a lovely job on your twists!!! Do you always blow dry prior to twisting/braiding? How long did this take and how long do you plan on keeping this style? Did you follow a tutorial?

To Platinum...Congratulations on your new grandbaby. Beautiful!!! :)

I don't always blow dry prior to twisting. Sometimes I do them on old twist outs. I like blowdrying beforehand because it makes parting easier, which makes the process go by faster. I learned to do them from three people: Innovativethinkin, KinkyCurlyQueen, and Tayah97.

For my latest minis, I followed this tut by Innovativethinkin:

[video=youtube;YQP5CTEHEWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQP5CTEHEWQ[/video]

I forgot to mention that I'm 5 months post BC now!:yay: Sometimes I still have a hard time believing that I became natural. I love being natural, I just can't wait to have more length. I'm thinking about straightening next month (for my 6th month nappiversary).:afro:

I wasn't planning to straighten for my 6 mths, but I will do a length check. I kinda wanna wait until I have a little more length before I straighten. Plat I just realized that we BC's 6 days apart from each other.

GlamaDiva Ah okay. At the most I'll do like four sections so it still doesn't take long.

Hey! So I tried applying product in sections..it decreased my time from 45 mins to 30 mins..lol I think as I continue it'll decrease. I think after steaming my hair this weekend my hair is being more cooperative. Anyway, I'm glad I started sectioning!

Second day twistout before it went in a puff
IMG_0823.jpg

ETA when stretched I'm 2 or so inches from APL. I don't think I'll get there until 2011 though. It looks like I'll be growing 4 inches a year just like I thought. I'm just working on retaining so I don't lose length

Last edited:
* When you BCd-----9/29/10
* How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd---- 7 1/2 months post
* Have you been natural before? When? Yes for 4 yrs from Feb 2004 to Jan. 2008
* Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness----I think my hair type is 3c, mixed with 4a. It's only about 3 inches all around right now so I can give a better assessment in a couple of months
* Your current regimen washing every 3 to 4 days with CV shampoo bars, and DC after ever wash. I haven't used direct heat since may 2010, and will continue not using heat for at least another 6 months to a year.
* Your favorite styles wash and go is the only thing I have done
* Your current length and goal length TWA, goal is to be BSL again but natural in about 2 1/2 yrs.
* Your photo album, if any I made a video, it's at YT in my siggy

* When you BCd-----9/29/10
* How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd---- 7 1/2 months post
* Have you been natural before? When? Yes for 4 yrs from Feb 2004 to Jan. 2008
* Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness----I think my hair type is 3c, mixed with 4a. It's only about 3 inches all around right now so I can give a better assessment in a couple of months
* Your current regimen washing every 3 to 4 days with CV shampoo bars, and DC after ever wash. I haven't used direct heat since may 2010, and will continue not using heat for at least another 6 months to a year.
* Your favorite styles wash and go is the only thing I have done
* Your current length and goal length TWA, goal is to be BSL again but natural in about 2 1/2 yrs.
* Your photo album, if any I made a video, it's at YT in my siggy

Sassy, your MTV clip is Hilarious!

I forget who was asking about detangling. Here's a vid with a good example. It does't have to take 4 hours. Start off with soaking wet hair and do what she does
[video=youtube;thRTsGOHJ3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thRTsGOHJ3A[/video]

I tried something different last night. I sectioned my hair, moisturized with African Royale BRX braid spray, then Sta Sof Fro. When the section began to soften, I finger detangled then sealed with a mixture of Haitian Black Castor oil, Wheat Germ oil, and Profectiv Mega Growth Growth oil. I banded with Goody ouchless ponytail holders, baggied, and went to bed.

I think this is definetely a keeper!!!:yep: My hair is so soft with plenty of moisture! The only drawback that is it was a little greasy but I don't mind.

I'm thinking about Henna'ing when I go home this weekend. I haven't henna'd in a few months.:look:

Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I've posted. I am now 2 months post BC! Wow, where has the time gone, I've been natural for 2 months?!?!?! I am loving being natural! I've learned that my hair loves the African Royal braid spray. However, I have got to find a more natural or organic alternative. I'm still in search of holy grail products for my hair. Here's a most recent picture, this was taken last Friday.

2nk000x.jpg

I'll be two years post in 12 days!!! I can't believe I've made it this far! I'm currently prepooing with Mane n Tail and coconut oil right now. Straightening my hair in a week!!!

And I BC'd on April 18th lol... time is kind of flying. I'm taking my plaits out, its been almost a month since I've just taken them all out at one time instead of redoing each individual one after washing, my fro has gotten bigger. I'll do a fro comparison at the end of the year

Back