~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I think I am going to put a protective style in my hair this weekend. Either Bantu Knots or mini box braids again. I like not having to touch my hair.

Everyone, please wish me luck.
Today will be the first day my mom sees my natural hair. I was trying to keep it under wraps until I straighten in December, but it looks like she's going to see it today, and since I don't have the coveted "good hair," which she totally ascribes to, I'm not sure how she'll react. I may need you guys for support after she leaves.

hugs. This is something I'm still going through with my mom.

How are you ladies detangling ?? My last session took me 4 HOURS just for the detangling part !!!!:wallbash: I almost cried !!!

This is what I done:
-I prepooed my hair with amla oil the night before and left it in until the next day
-Rinsed my hair with water about 3 times in 4 sections
-Co-washed my hair with Aussie Moist Conditioner again in 4 sections
-Then keeping my hair those four sections, I apply my DC to my hair
-Then I detangle my hair - and this is the part takes SOOOOOOOOO LONG !!!!

I really want to, or have to decrease my detangling time because it's just long ! So how are you ladies detangling ? Do you use slippery conditioners ? What some great techniques ?

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!!

I know I had some detangling tips and posted links to detangling videos in the 2009 and 2010 transitioning threads. I'm having some trouble finding them now but I'll look for them over the weekend and post them

She loved it, guys!!!!
She thought it was soooo cute. And when I told her she should go natural, she said "it's too much work. All those rollers you have to put in" and I was like, "No, Mom. All I did was wash and gel it. It only takes me like 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning." Her eyes got really wide. She was so surprised that my hair naturally curled and said that she still couldn't do it because her hair didn't curl, but I told her about heat damage and how she might have been remembering natural hair that had been heat stretched out (I know mine was - I went to get a press and curl every 2 weeks like clockwork when I was younger, which was WAY too much heat and definitely no heat protectant was used!). She seemed interested after that so maybe I can help convert her! I know she will love it even more when it gets long and big, so maybe I can convince her to transition by this time next year. :)
Thanks for the support ladies! :)

^^ Yeah, she saw that movie. She hated it. But my mom is one of those people that dislikes anything with a lot of cussing or the n-word or whatever, so she misses the entire point of movies, songs, plays, etc because she can't get past bad language. Anyway, we'll see. She'll be here in like 15 minutes or so. Either way, I'm not going back to relaxing so she can hate it but I'd really prefer if she didn't. One of my friends is 4a/4b and she thought her hair "didn't look good," so I can only imagine what she'll say.

Wow ok, nvm on that tip then. I hope she was ok with it and even if she wasn't that you still love it and she comes around eventually! It's sad that even though this is how the hair grew out of our heads, so many people (and sadly, many of them black) are uncomfortable with it. Some people would rather see some exaggerated weave or unhealthy hair then what God graced us with:nono:

She loved it, guys!!!!
She thought it was soooo cute. And when I told her she should go natural, she said "it's too much work. All those rollers you have to put in" and I was like, "No, Mom. All I did was wash and gel it. It only takes me like 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning." Her eyes got really wide. She was so surprised that my hair naturally curled and said that she still couldn't do it because her hair didn't curl, but I told her about heat damage and how she might have been remembering natural hair that had been heat stretched out (I know mine was - I went to get a press and curl every 2 weeks like clockwork when I was younger, which was WAY too much heat and definitely no heat protectant was used!). She seemed interested after that so maybe I can help convert her! I know she will love it even more when it gets long and big, so maybe I can convince her to transition by this time next year. :)

Glad to hear she liked it! My mom still gives me the side eye when I tell her it takes me 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning, lol...it's one of those "Oh you fancy huh?" side eyes, I just laugh at her!

How are you ladies detangling ?? My last session took me 4 HOURS just for the detangling part !!!!:wallbash: I almost cried !!!

This is what I done:
-I prepooed my hair with amla oil the night before and left it in until the next day
-Rinsed my hair with water about 3 times in 4 sections
-Co-washed my hair with Aussie Moist Conditioner again in 4 sections
-Then keeping my hair those four sections, I apply my DC to my hair
-Then I detangle my hair - and this is the part takes SOOOOOOOOO LONG !!!!

I really want to, or have to decrease my detangling time because it's just long ! So how are you ladies detangling ? Do you use slippery conditioners ? What some great techniques ?

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!!

What's your hair type? Me, I'm a dense 4b (fine strands but a lot of them) and even though I only have 4 inches, I don't do anything to my hair unless it's in 10+ sections like I did when I was transitioning. More sections for me cuts down on tangles tremendously.

Additionally, you didn't mention what DC you were using. Is it moisturizing or protein-based? What are you trying to remove your tangles with? You may also want to consider using a leave in conditioner or some other detangling product before you start combing. Those are my suggestions. Good luck!

She loved it, guys!!!!

I'm so glad this worked out for you!!!
Isn't it kewl when the moms jump onboard?!

When I sent my mom a pic of my curly do,
she immediately called and asked what I did.
I did my little curly coaching
and she is now naptural as well!

We compare products and results!

YAY for you & mom!!!

What's your hair type? Me, I'm a dense 4b (fine strands but a lot of them) and even though I only have 4 inches, I don't do anything to my hair unless it's in 10+ sections like I did when I was transitioning. More sections for me cuts down on tangles tremendously.

Additionally, you didn't mention what DC you were using. Is it moisturizing or protein-based? What are you trying to remove your tangles with? You may also want to consider using a leave in conditioner or some other detangling product before you start combing. Those are my suggestions. Good luck!

My hair is 4a and I use Naked Boost Treatment as my DC but I'm thinking to change it :yep: it very moisturizing though I always wash my hair in sections to reduce tangles and I use a detangling comb. I want to try a denman but I'm scared that I won't know how to use it and end up breaking my hair. What conditioner do you ladies suggest I detangle with ?

She loved it, guys!!!!

Aw I'm glad she liked it! I'm sure that's like a huge relief!!

I'm so glad this worked out for you!!!
Isn't it kewl when the moms jump onboard?!

When I sent my mom a pic of my curly do,
she immediately called and asked what I did.
I did my little curly coaching
and she is now naptural as well!

We compare products and results!

YAY for you & mom!!!

Yay for you and YOUR mom! I hope that will be something that both of us can share in the near future!

Aw I'm glad she liked it! I'm sure that's like a huge relief!!

It really was. I'm very thankful. She didn't even realized I cut it - she thought it was a set I had done on my transitioning hair. She was really surprised, and when I stretched my hair to show her the length, she was so surprised.

Glad to hear she liked it! My mom still gives me the side eye when I tell her it takes me 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning, lol...it's one of those "Oh you fancy huh?" side eyes, I just laugh at her!

I wish it took me five mins! lol...does the time get shorter as your hair gets longer?

I wish it took me five mins! lol...does the time get shorter as your hair gets longer?

I just think it depends on what you are doing to style your hair - I apply my product by raking and smoothing, so it doesn't take long. When I had a TWA it took me less than five minutes because I didn't have hanging ends or other sections of hair that I now focus on to make sure they are moisturized and product gets to them. I also don't like twists on me, so I don't spend time doing those either.

So, I wore my puff out today. It was bigger than normal because I had my hair in 2 big flat twists so my hair was stretched. People were staring at me. It made me feel a little uncomfortable. I was in Publix and Me and my sis were the ONLY black folks in there. :lol: People would walk past me and then turn around to get another look. My sis said don't mind them. But geez! They've never seen natural hair before?

What are you all doing to style your TWAs? Are you doing finger coils?

I'm loading mine up with moisturizer and castor oil. Then, I put it in twists. I can't stand twists at this length but my hair seems to love them....we disagree a lot. :rolleyes: I'm also wearing a wig over my twists. I'm currently in Valencia Girl by Freetress. I still can't do coils to save my life and I refuse to pay 50 bucks to get them professionally done.

I didn't know if natural hair was truly for me because I am lazy when it comes to my hair. I was hoping that I had some curls or coils so I would have a built in hairstyle. Thank goodness I am 4a. I have no interest in defining my coils though. I either cowash, spritz, seal, and go. OR I spritz, seal, and go. Sometimes I wear a headband sometimes I don't. Easy.

Just got back from a weekend getaway with my hubby. My puff lasted for an entire week with minimal upkeep besides moisturizing! However, I don't have time to set it with braids tonight so I prepooed for 15 minutes with leftover Yes to Tomatoes and washed. I am sitting under the steamer now. - I will be PSing this week and braiding the back of my head (leaving the front loose) and wearing my bun.

OMG ............. I am actually scared of detangling my hair !!!! Like I actually start to shake when I start to detangle! I'm scared I'll break my hair so much, but my hair is in pretty good condition :yep: But I get so scared ! Whats the easiest way to detangle ? Do you use slippery conditioners ? Favourite combs/brushes ? Dry or wet hair ? Oils ?

ETA: I added baggying to my hair and it made my hair really soft and much stronger !!! Still scared to detangle though :lol:

Last edited:
OMG ............. I am actually scared of detangling my hair !!!! Like I actually start to shake when I start to detangle! I'm scared I'll break my hair so much, but my hair is in pretty good condition :yep: But I get so scared ! Whats the easiest way to detangle ? Do you use slippery conditioners ? Favourite combs/brushes ? Dry or wet hair ? Oils ?

ETA: I added baggying to my hair and it made my hair really soft and much stronger !!! Still scared to detangle though :lol:

The first thing you need is a conditioner with lots of slip. Wet your hair then put your hair in 6-8 sections. Load each section with conditioner then detangle- first with a wide tooth comb (I use the jilbere shower comb) then if you want with a medium tooth comb (like a denman or an actual medium tooth comb). Twist up each detangled section when you're done to prevent retangling. Then rinse the conditioner out of your hair
Here are some examples
YouTube - How to Detangle / Untangle Any Hair Type (Basics)
YouTube - Detangling Natural Hair
YouTube - Detangling natural hair- part 1

davisbr88 so glad things went well with your mom!!! :woot: It's good to know that a person whose opinion you value supports you in your natural journey!

JC-Junkie I see you mentioned upthread that you prepoo with Amla oil. You can detangle on dry hair that has been thoroughly saturated in amla oil or you can detangle as you're rinsing the amla oil out. Just make sure that the hair is very saturated and pliable so that you're not working against it. You can also go the slippy condish route, as fox outlined. I would recommend, ESP since you're so apprehensive, that you use your fingers to detangle first - that way you can feel the tangles and adjust accordingly. Then you can use a wide toothed comb. Also, if you're detangling in the shower, make sure the water isn't too hot and make sure that you're hydrated and have energy from food. The reason I say this is because I've had several instances of feeling lightheaded/drained or almost fainting during long detangling sessions in the shower.

I see you also asked about porosity upthread. There should be a link to the thread "porosity-the forgotten step" and other porosity-related threads in the first post of this thread. Those will probably answer you question (I would answer it but I'm on my iPod and can't type much more).

Ugh where is the Thanks button?

Anyway, Congrats to Alta Angel! Platinum congrats on being a new grand mom. Congrats to all the new ppl! I love the styles! Mummy's girl your twists are the bomb. I'll post pics of my hair soon. All is well and I'm still "getting to know it"..lol The more I know, the more I love.

Here are my pics....I'm 15 months post relaxer and 1 month post BC.

My Twistout:

photo-th.jpg

photo4-th.jpg

photo2-th.jpg

Products used : Water, Hello Hydration conditioner, and a small dab of Ecostyler gel (clear) on each twist. I did 20 twists.

Back