~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Thank you to all the posters in this thread! Your posts have been so informative and helpful during my transition!

BC Date: 09/19/10
Months post relaxer: 16 months
Natural before? I have not been natural since age 12
Hair type, etc. mostly 4a with 4b at nape. "O" and "S" strands using LOIS system; thick, 50% shrinkage

Regimen:
Shampoo: Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo or DE Oatmeal Clarifying once per week
DC: Design Essentials Stimulations Conditioner once per week under steamer
Leave in: Modified Kimmaytube (I sub Giovanni Direct for KCNT) one to two times per week
Leave in: Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier
Leave in: Moisture spritz (daily)
Styler/Setting Lotion: Aloe vera gel to slick edges; Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion for twist/braid n curl

My siggy and avatar have pics of my first braid n curl (Thanks Westndnbeauty!)

For whatever reason, I am unable to post pics or add them to my LHCF album. I will be updating my fotki soon.

Congratulations!! I know you did not just try to sneak in here :lol:

Okay??? That's what I was just thinking? Did I miss a post about Miss AltaAngel being 100%Natural??? You go gurl and congratualtions with all that thick and pretty hair of yours. Congrats to all the new choppers too and Congrats to Granny Plat! :laugh:

:yahoo: Congratulations Alta Angel, I've been waiting for your BC (and mrsjohnson's) and happy you're natural now! Can't wait to see more pictures. I love your siggy pic :yep:

:Devil: Who me?? :lachen:

Okay??? That's what I was just thinking? Did I miss a post about Miss AltaAngel being 100%Natural??? You go gurl and congratualtions with all that thick and pretty hair of yours. Congrats to all the new choppers too and Congrats to Granny Plat! :laugh:

Thank you! Honestly, Sunday I looked at my last two inches of scraggly relaxed ends and just cut them off on a whim. I really don't know why I held on to them for so long. My husband said "It's about time!". :yep:

:yahoo: Congratulations Alta Angel, I've been waiting for your BC (and mrsjohnson's) and happy you're natural now! Can't wait to see more pictures. I love your siggy pic :yep:

Thank you MG! I absolutely love it!!! My coworkers did not know that this was my real hair (since I have been wearing the bun for so long). They asked me where do I get all of these realistic hair pieces from! :lachen:

Welcome @alta angel! Your puff floweth over! :reddancer:

Thank you to all the posters in this thread! Your posts have been so informative and helpful during my transition!

BC Date: 09/19/10
Months post relaxer: 16 months
Natural before? I have not been natural since age 12
Hair type, etc. mostly 4a with 4b at nape. "O" and "S" strands using LOIS system; thick, 50% shrinkage

Regimen:
Shampoo: Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo or DE Oatmeal Clarifying once per week
DC: Design Essentials Stimulations Conditioner once per week under steamer
Leave in: Modified Kimmaytube (I sub Giovanni Direct for KCNT) one to two times per week
Leave in: Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier
Leave in: Moisture spritz (daily)
Styler/Setting Lotion: Aloe vera gel to slick edges; Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion for twist/braid n curl

My siggy and avatar have pics of my first braid n curl (Thanks Westndnbeauty!)

For whatever reason, I am unable to post pics or add them to my LHCF album. I will be updating my fotki soon.

Today marks 60 days post BC...I'm seeing growth; I will be getting 2 strand extensions next month(at my 90 day mark) with plans to hide my hair until the Spring.

Happy Hair Growing, Ladies!!

Hello Ladies :) This is a great thread !!!!

BC Date: 23/05/2010 almost four months !!! Just one more day !
Months post relaxer: 12 months
Natural before? I haven't been natural since I was 8 or 9
Hair type, etc. 4a is the majority with some 3b hair at the very back and temples around the ear area - they're just like wavey if that makes sense and I don't think it's heat breakage because it's just been growing like that :yep:, I have lots of S's and some O's. My hair shrinks to about 50-60 percent of it length, currently 1 inch away from APL

Regimen:
-DC once a week with Naked Boost, amla oil and L'Oreal Elvive Ceramides Treatment - Still tweaking this up
-Also going to add a light protein treatment
-Co-wash 3 - 4 times a week with Aussie Moist Moisturising conditioner
-Moisturise every evening with my mix of cheapie con (right now Aussie Moist), glycerine, water and ceramide leave in
-Leave In currently using L'Oreal Elvive Ceramide Leave In - gonna change this up
-Wrap my hair up with a satin scarf.

My hair has grown a lot and I'm quite proud of myself that I've made it this far :yep: I thought I wouldn't manage but I enjoy every minute of doing my hair !! And thank you to you ladies who have inspired me and given me so much advice !!! I'll post pics real soon :yep:

So ladies I have a question. I was reading about porosity and it said that if your hair sinks immediately or almost immediately then you have extremely porous hair and if it takes 3-4 minutes to sink then you hair is very unporous. So I did the water test and my hair wouldn't sink because it was still at the surface, so I pushed it and it floated to the bottom. So does that make my hair very porous ? When My hair is dry it feels quite soft and only feels dry when I don't moisturise for a while. After washing it usually takes my hair 3 - 5 hours to dry completely and I have little to no split ends.

Do you ladies think this is an example of overly porous hair ? If so do you have any suggestions ?

Another question, what conditioners give you lots of slip ? I need a slippery conditioner to help me detangle my hair :)

Sorry this is like some long essay !!!

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!

Last edited:
Ugh where is the Thanks button?

Anyway, Congrats to Alta Angel! Platinum congrats on being a new grand mom. Congrats to all the new ppl! I love the styles! Mummy's girl your twists are the bomb. I'll post pics of my hair soon. All is well and I'm still "getting to know it"..lol The more I know, the more I love.

I did a flat two strand twistout. I had these twists in for about 3 days under my wig. I didn't feel like wearing my wig today, and this is the SECOND time I have woen my hair out in public. I've been protective styling since April. Here's the pics.

ef645d53.jpg

8a134db6.jpg

9ae0b6f2.jpg

Hey Ladies. I really haven't had time to post that post lately. I don't have any real updates on my hair. I'm just still wearing my puff because it's an easy style to maintain. I have started cowashing with both protein and moisturizing condishes now. Suave Humectant, then Suave Damage Care, the either Suave Humectant again or Pantene for Curly hair.:yep: I've switched moisturizers as well, I've cut back on Worlds of Curls and now use S Curl and/or Sta Sof Fro. I still like WOC but S Curls and Sta Sof Fro seem to be absorbed faster when I do wash and go's. My hair stays softer longer with these moisturizers even if I don't seal.

That's great, isn't it! :grin:
What helped me was to put a headband over the plastic cap before tying down with a scarf so it's extra secure, and won't shift in your sleep.

I'm trying this tonight! I've already got my conditioner in and my cap on :look: (yes, it's early, but I wake up early too, lol)

My coworkers did not know that this was my real hair (since I have been wearing the bun for so long). They asked me where do I get all of these realistic hair pieces from! :lachen:

That last part had me cracking up :lachen:! That last part had me cracking up! Congrats on your BC, your hair is gorgeous.

Evallusion your hair growth is really inspiring!

Hey guys. I haven't been doing too much to my hair, but I did cut off about 3 inches. My hair was doing the mullet thing, so I cut the hair at the nape and ears so that my top hair is not too much shorter. I think I'll do another cut in about 6 months. Hopefully it'll be just an inch that I cut. I'm ready to grow this out and have it pretty even.

Just poppin in to say today makes me 5 Months since my BC!!! Yay yippeee whoooo!!!!!!!
I have not regretted a single moment!!

Hey ladies! I love reading about all of the progress you are making. I haven't posted in a while but I plan to update my fotki soon.

I'm putting more mini twists in tomorrow and will have pics of that too. I know some of you asked about the brick layering pattern that I use for my twists, so I will be sure to take pics of that as well.

KUTGW ladies!

Ok y'all-

I thought I was weird
because I really wasn't excited
about purchasing products
for natural hair.

They all seemed overpriced
and didn't have the ingreds I desired
or didn't do my hair justice.

With the exception of
Mozeke's whipped avocado butter
(which I like A Lot) ,

I am sticking with
my original mixture of
condish/oil.

It really does do MY hair MAJOR justice!!!

This ride is really about trial & error!

I'll be straightening my hair two weeks from tomorrow and I wanted to post my plan here so that I'll have somewhere to find it. I'm really excited, and I hope it turns out well.

Thursday, 10/7- Rinse my hair of all product. Apply Mane n Tail Conditioner and coconut oil for 1 hour. Rinse. Apply Knot Today and Shea Moisture DC and bun.

Friday, 10/8- Rinse my hair of all product. Shampoo with Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo. Condition with Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner. Detangle. Apply Knot Today. Set hair on flexi rods, detangling/smoothing with fine tooth comb, applying Mizani Thermasmooth serum to each section. Dry under hooded dryer. Remove flexi rods. Comb out hair. Use hot air brush to straighten roots. Lightly mist hair with Mizani Thermasmooth Anti- Humidity Spritz.

I'm hoping this works!

I'll be straightening my hair two weeks from tomorrow and I wanted to post my plan here so that I'll have somewhere to find it. I'm really excited, and I hope it turns out well.

Thursday, 10/7- Rinse my hair of all product. Apply Mane n Tail Conditioner and coconut oil for 1 hour. Rinse. Apply Knot Today and Shea Moisture DC and bun.

Friday, 10/8- Rinse my hair of all product. Shampoo with Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo. Condition with Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner. Detangle. Apply Knot Today. Set hair on flexi rods, detangling/smoothing with fine tooth comb, applying Mizani Thermasmooth serum to each section. Dry under hooded dryer. Remove flexi rods. Comb out hair. Use hot air brush to straighten roots. Lightly mist hair with Mizani Thermasmooth Anti- Humidity Spritz.

I'm hoping this works!

Good luck with that. Make sure you post pics.:))

Hi y'all,
I'm really enjoying my hair. I wore a wash and go (I think) yesterday. I used conditioner and a bit of gel. Today I pulled it back in a puff. Right now I braided it in my Celie braids for the evening cause I think the gig is up for these curls.

I guess I need to not wear it out though? I really want to get to APL/BSL (:( ) someday. So I guess I need to stop enjoying my curls and put my hair in a bun or french braids?

Hey ladies,
I've been away for a while but I'm back! My hair is growing and very well moisturized. I now use Kimmaytube's leave in recipe and my hair is moisturized for 3-4 days, and my ends feel like BUTTER! I mainly wear bantu knot outs and air died twist-outs (that are not really that defined yet I'm still working on getting it right).

Mummy'sgirl I love your twists, they look amazing! I need to take some lessons!

How are you ladies detangling ?? My last session took me 4 HOURS just for the detangling part !!!!:wallbash: I almost cried !!!

This is what I done:
-I prepooed my hair with amla oil the night before and left it in until the next day
-Rinsed my hair with water about 3 times in 4 sections
-Co-washed my hair with Aussie Moist Conditioner again in 4 sections
-Then keeping my hair those four sections, I apply my DC to my hair
-Then I detangle my hair - and this is the part takes SOOOOOOOOO LONG !!!!

I really want to, or have to decrease my detangling time because it's just long ! So how are you ladies detangling ? Do you use slippery conditioners ? What some great techniques ?

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!!

Everyone, please wish me luck.
Today will be the first day my mom sees my natural hair. I was trying to keep it under wraps until I straighten in December, but it looks like she's going to see it today, and since I don't have the coveted "good hair," which she totally ascribes to, I'm not sure how she'll react. I may need you guys for support after she leaves.

Everyone, please wish me luck.
Today will be the first day my mom sees my natural hair. I was trying to keep it under wraps until I straighten in December, but it looks like she's going to see it today, and since I don't have the coveted "good hair," which she totally ascribes to, I'm not sure how she'll react. I may need you guys for support after she leaves.

Aw, good luck!
I was totally afraid my mom would be the same way because she always went ballistic when I cut my hair while relaxed but she loved it (so she said). Maybe you should get your mom to watch Chris Rock's "Good Hair." My mom is now convinced that relaxers are the devil and is transitioning herself...

^^ Yeah, she saw that movie. She hated it. But my mom is one of those people that dislikes anything with a lot of cussing or the n-word or whatever, so she misses the entire point of movies, songs, plays, etc because she can't get past bad language. Anyway, we'll see. She'll be here in like 15 minutes or so. Either way, I'm not going back to relaxing so she can hate it but I'd really prefer if she didn't. One of my friends is 4a/4b and she thought her hair "didn't look good," so I can only imagine what she'll say.

Back