~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Hey Everybody. I haven't been online in a few days. My daughter gave birth so now I'm Grandma Platinum.

My mom made the statement the other day that she wish she had 45 minutes and a hot comb (for my hair).:perplexed I clarified with Bentonite Clay then did a wash and go with Ecostyler Olive Oil. I didn't use a pick, just my fingers. I don't know what mom was talking about because I KNOW my hair rocked.:grin:

Congratulations to the New Choppers and Keep up the good work to everyone!:clap:

Quick question for anyone who can share. Is there anyone who considers pre-pooing an essential part of their regimen? I'll admit I didn't really understand the purpose of it before :blush: but now that I got an idea it sounds like it could be beneficial to combat dryness in these winter months but I just wanted to know if it's really worth the extra step or if most people prefer just DCing after washing.

Quick question for anyone who can share. Is there anyone who considers pre-pooing an essential part of their regimen? I'll admit I didn't really understand the purpose of it before :blush: but now that I got an idea it sounds like it could be beneficial to combat dryness in these winter months but I just wanted to know if it's really worth the extra step or if most people prefer just DCing after washing.

In the beginning of my hair journey I used to prepoo. I've simplified my regimen a lot so I no longer prepoo. IMO it's not really necessary. I don't use products that leave a lot of residue in the first place and I use SLS free shampoo so I don't have an issue with shampoo stripping my hair. Also I don't shampoo every week so again I don't have an issue with shampoo stripping my hair. I cowash a lot, shampoo occasionally, and try to DC weekly and my hair is ok

Hey Everybody. I haven't been online in a few days. My daughter gave birth so now I'm Grandma Platinum.

My mom made the statement the other day that she wish she had 45 minutes and a hot comb (for my hair).:perplexed I clarified with Bentonite Clay then did a wash and go with Ecostyler Olive Oil. I didn't use a pick, just my fingers. I don't know what mom was talking about because I KNOW my hair rocked.:grin:

Congratulations to the New Choppers and Keep up the good work to everyone!:clap:

Ahh congratulations Platinum!! I didn't even know you had a daughter

Question for everyone: How long does your wash and go last? Mine lasts for 2-3 days and then I have to wash it and start again.

Another question: How are you all "reviving" an old wash a go? I'm afraid I'm on the road to product build up while trying to "revive" mine.

I cowash daily myself, because when I wake up in the morning my hair is always sticking up or leaning to one side. :lol:
When I do try to revive it, I try to shake it out at the roots and spray it with a little water mixed with conditioner and pull out the coils to help with the shape.
I rarely ever do this, tough. Manipulating my shrunken up dry hair is just leads to tangles and never ends up looking very good.

Evallusion - love that wig on you!!!

Platinum :congrats: Congrats on being a grandma! Good on you for rejecting your mom's negativity! :yep:

NaturalLibra I'm prepooing right now. I don't do it often but between flat-ironing and the change in weather, I wanted to give my hair more attention. It's not necessary but it's a good way to buffer stripping shampoos, as foxglove pointed out, and penetrating oils can be particularly beneficial to the hair's health. I've read quite a few testimonials from ladies who said that prepooing took their hair to another level - it was fine or good before, but it was excellent after.

In the beginning of my hair journey I used to prepoo. I've simplified my regimen a lot so I no longer prepoo. IMO it's not really necessary. I don't use products that leave a lot of residue in the first place and I use SLS free shampoo so I don't have an issue with shampoo stripping my hair. Also I don't shampoo every week so again I don't have an issue with shampoo stripping my hair. I cowash a lot, shampoo occasionally, and try to DC weekly and my hair is ok

NaturalLibra I'm prepooing right now. I don't do it often but between flat-ironing and the change in weather, I wanted to give my hair more attention. It's not necessary but it's a good way to buffer stripping shampoos, as foxglove pointed out, and penetrating oils can be particularly beneficial to the hair's health. I've read quite a few testimonials from ladies who said that prepooing took their hair to another level - it was fine or good before, but it was excellent after.

:) Thanks both of you for the feedback. I guess I will at least give in a try on my next shampoo and see how it goes. it's not even super cold here yet and I can already feel a little difference in my hair. lol, of course it could all be in my head.

Mine last 2-3 days also. When I shower I don't wear a shower cap so that allows my hair to get "moist" or "misted". Then I follow up with a spray moisturizer and seal with a serum.

Also so you know initially I literally do a wash & go. I cowash, rinse all of the condtioner out, use spray moisturizer, and seal with a serum. I'm too lazy for shingling and gel, etc.

Shay72 would you mind sharing what spray moisturizer you use. Thanks for your help girl!

Shay72 would you mind sharing what spray moisturizer you use. Thanks for your help girl!

MA2010
A million different ones :look:

Hairveda's Hydrasilica
Oyin's Juices & Berries
Shea Moisture's Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist
Sunshine's Cutie Juice
Anita Grant's Aloe Rose Oil Free Spritz
Taliah Wajiid's PMB
Curls by Target Lavish Curls

So I prepood yesterday with coconut oil and wheat germ oil with a steaming hot towel under a heat cap. My hair felt so good! :love: I'm loving WhGO. It's funny because everyone else's complaints about the smell led to me think I would probably love the smell, since I tend to like the smells of stuff that other people hate - henna, jbco, etc. But, phew, that stuff is funny smelling and not in a good way - I'm just now warming to it.

I shampooed with aohsr shampoo and followed up with a protein dc of an egg + ao gpb (best believe I cut open the bottle and scraped out the last of it:grin:) - also with a steaming towel under heat cap. Rinsed and followed up with a moisturizing dc of aohsr- once again, with a steaming towel and heat cap. Rinsed and applied tjns as a leave-in, sealed with coconut oil and WhGO and twisted to let air dry. Rocked a puffy twist out last night, retwisted in large twists overnight.

This morning, I braided my hair in a beehive pattern - one continuous cornrow to the center of my head and tucked the loose end of the cornrow into the rows beneath it. They're a little on the chunky side but not too bad - I'll defiitely do them smaller the next time. I'll try to get at least 2 weeks out of them. Trying to figure out what I'll be moisturizing them with - probably a mix of giovanni direct or tjns and something else in a spray bottle. I'll be applying jbco to my scalp and edges.

Alright, guess I'll jump into this with an intro:

I BC'd May 29, 2010 after close to 6 months transitioning
I've never gone natural before.
My hair is 4a. My curls range from the size of coffee stirrers to the size of straws at the crown of my head w/about 70-75% shrinkage
I do wash n gos 90% of the time. My hair grows out & shrinks even with twists or braids lol
I do a mini puff or coils outs
My hair is 3.5in at the sides, 4in in the back and 4.5ish inches @ the crown. I don't have a set goal from growing my hair. Just to have a big fro... and with my shrinkage I'm thinking I'll need like 20+ inches to get a decent sized fro, but we will see. :)
I co-wash every 3 to 5 days, clarify every 2 weeks, and deep condition @ each co-wash.

I think I covered everything!

Alright, guess I'll jump into this with an intro:

I BC'd May 29, 2010 after close to 6 months transitioning
I've never gone natural before.
My hair is 4a. My curls range from the size of coffee stirrers to the size of straws at the crown of my head w/about 70-75% shrinkage
I do wash n gos 90% of the time. My hair grows out & shrinks even with twists or braids lol
I do a mini puff or coils outs
My hair is 3.5in at the sides, 4in in the back and 4.5ish inches @ the crown. I don't have a set goal from growing my hair. Just to have a big fro... and with my shrinkage I'm thinking I'll need like 20+ inches to get a decent sized fro, but we will see. :)
I co-wash every 3 to 5 days, clarify every 2 weeks, and deep condition @ each co-wash.

I think I covered everything!

:welcome3:

your hair pics in your siggy are mesmerizing! :love: Such a pretty color and the curl pattern reminds me of hairsothick's and another poster whose name escapes me at the moment.

I just learned how to do flat two strand twists! So excited. I'm dcing right now and I'm gonna twist it up. I'm still gonna wear my wig for a couple days, then undo the twists and see how it turns out.

Oh, and as of last week I am officially 7 months post chop. My camera isn't here so I've taken a couple of "not so good" pictures with my phone. Grow Fro Grow!

7MonthsPostChopLoose.jpg

7Monthspostchopsidepuff.jpg

The thickness of this stuff is killing me. I hate dealing with it so I'm either in a puff or braided/twisted under a wig. I'm still in love with Castor Oil--that oil is the truth! I've discovered my staples and I'm loving the simplicity of it. I've narrowed it down to:

Renpure Organics Shampoo (red bottle)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier
Water + Rosemary EO
Castor Oil + Rosemary EO

Yup, thats what my hair likes. The above keep my hair very happy and I've shaken off the PJ bug! Go me!

Also, @Platinum , Congrats on becoming a grandmother!

Oh, and as of last week I am officially 7 months post chop. My camera isn't here so I've taken a couple of "not so good" pictures with my phone. Grow Fro Grow!

7MonthsPostChopLoose.jpg

7Monthspostchopsidepuff.jpg

The thickness of this stuff is killing me. I hate dealing with it so I'm either in a puff or braided/twisted under a wig. I'm still in love with Castor Oil--that oil is the truth! I've discovered my staples and I'm loving the simplicity of it. I've narrowed it down to:

Renpure Organics Shampoo (red bottle)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier
Water + Rosemary EO
Castor Oil + Rosemary EO

Yup, thats what my hair likes. The above keep my hair very happy and I've shaken off the PJ bug! Go me!

Also, @Platinum , Congrats on becoming a grandmother!

You got a very good amount of growth! :)

@Shay72 I just ordered some Hairveda Hydrasilica from the Fall Madness Sale! Yeah! Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

I just learned how to do flat two strand twists! So excited. I'm dcing right now and I'm gonna twist it up. I'm still gonna wear my wig for a couple days, then undo the twists and see how it turns out.

pookaloo83 Teach me......lol. It's so hard for me to do. Do you have to use hair pins? I used hair pins when I tried and it was a MESS!

Congrats Platinum and :welcome: BraunSugar!!!

I did my first DC since my BC. I used the yellow ORS conditioner with honey and evoo added put on my processing cap an let that stuff soak in for 12 hours yesterday and overnight with my silk scarf over it. My hair was so soft this morning and actually cooperated with me when I tried to define my curls. I'm definitely doing this again on Wednesday! The only pitfall was the sticky mess running down my neck if my cap shifted any, but I'll deal with with it if my hair behaves this way more often!

I ordered a bottle of Curls Milkshake. I already have the Curls Gel-les'c, I do like it but it is just too gel-like for my taste. I like my hair to be a little fluffy.
The Milkshake is also glycerin free. I also ordered the Curl-ease towel, which is supposed to dry your hair faster but without the frizz of a regular towel. If this really works, I'll be able to keep cowashing and wearing WnG's daily for a little longer. It's already so cold over here!

My hair is still in good condition and has recovered from the flatironing, but I'm shedding a lot. :sad:
So much that my shed hair is causing my hair to tangle in the shower. The last time I shed like this I was really sick, but I feel fine!
I've also noticed my nails are a lot weaker than they used to be. I've been a vegetarian for 5 years but other than that I can't really say that I watch what I eat.. :look:
I'm thinking of substituting my bowl of oatmeal and 3 tablespoons of sugar :look: for a protein shake for breakfast. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Congrats Platinum and :welcome: BraunSugar!!!

I did my first DC since my BC. I used the yellow ORS conditioner with honey and evoo added put on my processing cap an let that stuff soak in for 12 hours yesterday and overnight with my silk scarf over it. My hair was so soft this morning and actually cooperated with me when I tried to define my curls. I'm definitely doing this again on Wednesday! The only pitfall was the sticky mess running down my neck if my cap shifted any, but I'll deal with with it if my hair behaves this way more often!

That's great, isn't it! :grin:
What helped me was to put a headband over the plastic cap before tying down with a scarf so it's extra secure, and won't shift in your sleep.

I'm finally deep conditioning my hair. I'm almost ashamed to tell y'all I haven't DC'ed since starting wards this month. My hair isn't hard bc I still cowash every 1-3 days. It's been a busy month and I will be busy up until the end of november. I'm hoping my hair won't be too mad at me when I'm done
In other news I'll be 6 months natural on thursday (the 23rd). I can't believe I've come this far. I'm excited to see how long/big I can get my hair

Thank you to all the posters in this thread! Your posts have been so informative and helpful during my transition!

BC Date: 09/19/10
Months post relaxer: 16 months
Natural before? I have not been natural since age 12
Hair type, etc. mostly 4a with 4b at nape. "O" and "S" strands using LOIS system; thick, 50% shrinkage

Regimen:
Shampoo: Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo or DE Oatmeal Clarifying once per week
DC: Design Essentials Stimulations Conditioner once per week under steamer
Leave in: Modified Kimmaytube (I sub Giovanni Direct for KCNT) one to two times per week
Leave in: Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier
Leave in: Moisture spritz (daily)
Styler/Setting Lotion: Aloe vera gel to slick edges; Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion for twist/braid n curl

My siggy and avatar have pics of my first braid n curl (Thanks Westndnbeauty!)

For whatever reason, I am unable to post pics or add them to my LHCF album. I will be updating my fotki soon.

Back