~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I've had a small setback in my nape.:sad: I think it came from using the headbands that have the elastic on them for my puff. So I'm going to try to learn how to cornrow and/or flat twist the front and leave the elastic headbands alone (cloth headbands didn't give me this problem but the elastic ones give me a neat puff :ohwell:) Then again, I may consider going back to Senegalese Twists when the temps start to drop.

As for the rest of my hair, I'm still getting good growth and retention.:look:

You could try using pantyhose for your puffs instead of elastics. It's almost like a stretchy version of satin scarf material. And it's adjustable in case you need to loosen your puff later

I think I will try Qhemet amla and olive heavy cream as a moisturizer. I've gone through 1.5L of Bedhead moisture maniac and while it works ok I think I can find a better product. Moisture maniac will be downgraded to a cowash conditioner

Hey ladies! :) Ok so...about a week or two ago i tried a twist out and it was a major fail! I'm thinking it was because I still had relaxed ends. I got hair trimmed and completely relaxed ends-free...so I'm hoping that my twist out is successful. I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the results...wish me luck! lol :) I'm kind of nervous of the turn out...I have about 3-3.5 inches of hair

I straightened my hair for the first time yesterday. It's neck length, but it keeps popping and breaking off everytime I touch it. But it feels and looks much thicker than from when I was relaxed. It got really straight. But I'm gonna wash it out. I miss my fro. :lol:

texasqt - do you have the type of hair that slips out of twists? I don't know if a special product for twisting is necessary. I do think that the ecostyler would help with holding them. I also think a couple of posters have mentioned using shea moitsture milk or smoothie for their twists (or twist outs). I used this for my twists and, aside from the allergic reaction :look:, my twists came out nicely.
You know I honestly don't know. I guess I'll have to try it out first and then determine if I need an extra product just for twisting. I just assumed that I needed something. Thanks for responding and I'll keep ya' posted!

I straightened my hair for the first time yesterday. It's neck length, but it keeps popping and breaking off everytime I touch it. But it feels and looks much thicker than from when I was relaxed. It got really straight. But I'm gonna wash it out. I miss my fro. :lol:
What was your regimen for straightening? Any pics?

I'm still around and wiggin' it. I think I'm at about 3-3 1/2 inches in length. I'm hoping to officially graduate from TWA status by November. Wish me luck ladies! I just bought 3 wigs from hairsisters: Opal, Puffy and Valencia Girl. I'm hoping to wear these throughout the winter while my hair grows out. Attachments aren't working so below are the links to the wigs. Until they arrive, I will be wearing Oakland Girl by Freetress.

Opal http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/View...oduct_id=12397
Puffy http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/View...oduct_id=10232
Valencia Girl http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/View...roduct_id=5364

Praying for 4 inches by November!!

I did my 1st ever wash and go today for church and I REALLY loved it. It was easy and fun!

I'll be sure to post pics soon!

Products Used:

DC'd overnight with AO HSR
Detangled with Aussie Deeeep
Rusk Sensories as Leave In
Ecostyler Gel (Pink) to set coils

391793502.jpg

391793507.jpg

391793511.jpg

My WNG held pretty well overnight. I think I will spritz with regular water and call it a day! LOVE IT!

Hi!!! I just cut all my hair off to go natural, I'm excited to join this thread and you ladies all have awesome hair!!
Yay congratulations and welcome.

You could try using pantyhose for your puffs instead of elastics. It's almost like a stretchy version of satin scarf material. And it's adjustable in case you need to loosen your puff later
I was just about to suggest the same thing. Cut a leg off of a pair of pantyhose or just use a knee high. It's much more gentler on the edges.

I think I will try Qhemet amla and olive heavy cream as a moisturizer. I've gone through 1.5L of Bedhead moisture maniac and while it works ok I think I can find a better product. Moisture maniac will be downgraded to a cowash conditioner
I love Qhemet AOHC. It does a great job in maintaining moisture.

You know I honestly don't know. I guess I'll have to try it out first and then determine if I need an extra product just for twisting. I just assumed that I needed something. Thanks for responding and I'll keep ya' posted!
I actually use butters and creams for my twists to help with moisture and I might use gel for the ends to help them stay. Other than this, you shouldn't need anything special. If you feel as though you do, you can always use Organics Lock and twist gel. It works good as well.

Products Used:

DC'd overnight with AO HSR
Detangled with Aussie Deeeep
Rusk Sensories as Leave In
Ecostyler Gel (Pink) to set coils

My WNG held pretty well overnight. I think I will spritz with regular water and call it a day! LOVE IT!

Looks great. Also I think you asked what SSK's were, they're single strand knots. I think WNG can contribute to them but I believe they're kinda unavoidable regardless how you wear your hair unless you choose to wear it straight all the time. I'm trying not to stress too much over them.

Looks great. Also I think you asked what SSK's were, they're single strand knots. I think WNG can contribute to them but I believe they're kinda unavoidable regardless how you wear your hair unless you choose to wear it straight all the time. I'm trying not to stress too much over them.

Thanks Steph! I need to read more ssk. I get them already.

Here are my length check pics
4983213787_7689e6b490_m.jpg

4983810544_4e4d35a398_m.jpg
~9.5 - 10 inches I have some shorter pieces in the front but I haven't measured them yet.

I guess I can claim shoulder length. Even after I trim, I think I'll still be at sl.

pookaloo83 - give up the goods! how did you get your hair "really straight"? Is it swangin? Where are the pics? re: the breakage - have you been keeping it off your shoulders and sealing? Are you gonna trim and/or do a protein treatment?

Here are my length check pics
4983213787_7689e6b490_m.jpg

4983810544_4e4d35a398_m.jpg
~9.5 - 10 inches I have some shorter pieces in the front but I haven't measured them yet.

I guess I can claim shoulder length. Even after I trim, I think I'll still be at sl.

@pookaloo83 - give up the goods! how did you get your hair "really straight"? Is it swangin? Where are the pics? re: the breakage - have you been keeping it off your shoulders and sealing? Are you gonna trim and/or do a protein treatment?

andromeda :lol: Yeah it was swangin! Even though it was only neck length. I didn't take pics because I wasn't happy with it. But my sis said she liked it. I used WestNDN's method. I think it was her who started a thread saying how you can get relaxer straight hair in one pass of a flat iron. I did a mini trim and I just washed it back to the kinks last night. I did not use a protein treatment. :ohwell:

Okay, I was just reading her thread yesterday and almost fell out when I saw her results in the youtube video. I might try that method next time, even though I really don't want to use a blowdryer. I'm so afraid of heat damage but I think there's something to well-moisturized hair being less susceptible to heat damage.

So glad I found this thread! I'm celebrating one month since my BC today and things are going great. I'm challenged by my TWA and I love it. I did finger coils today and I plan on keeping them in for a week.
Photo+on+2010-09-13+at+19.10+%232.jpg

More pics at my BLOG

Congrats to everyone who's hanging in there!

I don't know if I'm crazy for starting mini twists tonight- especially coming off a 13 hour shift, but I've gone as long as I can with my stretched hair and it was either wash it or put in twists while it's still stretched out. I'll take pics of the twists tomorrow

I'm doing the exact same thing only I'm in braids

Are you cornrowing your own hair or do you get it professionally done? I'm considering braiding my hair underneath as well. I think braids underneath would be a better protective style and less bulky.

How long are you gonna keep your hair this way? I'm aiming for March.

I don't seal....ever. Is that bad?

I don't suppose it's bad if you are not experiencing any ill effects such as dry hair. Sealing is supposed to do just that and seal/lock moisture into the hair which prevents breakage. Perhaps you're using products that contain enough oil to do that.

I tried to make a curly pudding...it was a bust. I'll try again.

So what ingredients did you use to make your curly pudding?

My Intro

When you BCd: 9-12-10 (this past Sunday :grin: )

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 4.5

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristic:
Hmmm I'm assuming I'm a 4 something. I have VERY thick hair with big and small curls. My hair has a really hard time retaining moisture and looks parched a lot. I'm not too sure what to do about this. I'm really just learning to take care of my hair...

Your current regimen: I've started co-washing with Suave humectant or herbal essence's hello hydration which has made some difference. I may need to DC more often. I'm still researching how often to do protein treatments, etc

Your favorite styles: I love my TWA! I also love twist outs on longer hair

Your current length and goal length:When I stretch, my hair is about 1/2 an inch below my ear in the middle and to my eyebrows in the front. My longterm goal is BSB (I honestly don't think I could take care of anything longer). My 1 year goal is SL. I have no clue how fast my hair can really grow because I've always had a hard time retaining and have had SL or shorter hair for the past 6 years

Your photo album, if any: http://public.fotki.com/BiaM21

^^^Very nice, pook! Maybe I should go this route.

natura87 re: sealing it's not "bad" per se but it's not optimal. Even if your ends look good now, just like any other fiber, they will get worn. They are the oldest part of your hair and need the most attention. As steph mentioned, there's the issue of breakage and I would add that there's also the issue of the individual strands gradually getting finer and/or more fragile. If you're taking the time to moisturize, you should seal - it's sorta like closing the front door and then not locking it - why do it halfway? And will it do any harm to take that extra step? Wouldn't you rather do it now than look back on things and think "wow, I wish I would've followed through all the way".

I'm pretty sure if I had been consistently moisturizing and sealing consistently, my ends would look better than they do they now. It's not just about length gain and retention, it's about retaining health. Sorry if this sounds like a lecture but I'm really lecturing myself to get the importance of these practices through my own hard head. :lol:

BiaM :welcome: You look gorgeous with your TWA! You have such an elegant neck and collarbone.

The protein treatments might help with retaining moisture. You can start off with a light protein and then proceed to a mild protein if you see fit. Also, I'm not sure about the humidity in GA but if there's low humidity/dew point, the humectant will suck the moisture from hair instead of the atmosphere, so be aware of that.

BiaM :welcome: You look gorgeous with your TWA! You have such an elegant neck and collarbone.

The protein treatments might help with retaining moisture. You can start off with a light protein and then proceed to a mild protein if you see fit. Also, I'm not sure about the humidity in GA but if there's low humidity/dew point, the humectant will suck the moisture from hair instead of the atmosphere, so be aware of that.

Thank you! It's pretty humid here, but I have heard other warnings about humectants so I may switch to something else. I want to try natural products really bad but am hesitant about coughing up the necessary $$

Back