~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Do you have any pics with it on? I like that wig! How much was it?
No pics yet. I might take some tonight or tomorrow, although I don't plan to start wearing it until next week. It cost $30. I think it would look nice on you. :yep:

I'm still in the process of finding another wig(s) that has smaller coils, sorta like my half-wig Polly.
images

In other news, I bought some wheat germ oil today! :woot: I also wanted to get rice bran oil but none of the stores that I went to had it. I actually intended to get both oils from Whole Foods but they had neither! I was so annoyed. I ended up getting it from the vitamin shoppe.

I think I might do an overnight dc with the wgo before straightening.

I think something went wrong. :nono:
My hair feels very dry and fragile.. I never had this before, and I straightened many times during my transition. Any ideas?

It might have been the blowdrying. The unclumping caused sooo many ssk's! And I heard hairs snapping all over when I was flatironing using the comb chase method, my hairs were snagging on the comb the entire time and I couldn't get my ends straight.
But then what am I supposed to do?

I'm happy with the way it looks, it's much longer than I expected, but the way it feels.. I think I'll be washing soon.

Blow dried :giggle:
Foto-GY7EK6ZC-D.jpg

Flat ironed (no laughing at my teddy bear patterned pyjama's)
Foto-OV6ZEZUE-D.jpg

Foto-MIDO4LSZ-D.jpg

The layers don't bother me at all, maybe I'll just trim the bottom one so my ends won't look so thin.
Without the flash they aren't see through like on the picture, but suddenly I'm seeing the difference between my pre- and post-chop hair. I miss the blunt ends..

Cch24, get yourself an album so you can upload your pics! We want to see your bun. :drunk:

Foxglove, I can't wait to see your straightened hair. It'd be cool to see what lenght your shrinkage is hiding!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Grand Prix your hair is gorgeous! And Foxglove is right, you do look like you're APL! I'm sorry you don't like the way your hair feels though. Maybe you could try rollersetting instead of blow drying? What products did you use? Again, it's beautiful!

Thank you ladies! :grin:
I'm nearly APL, I think maybe in another month or two.

I DCed with Jason Naturals Sea Kelp conditioner, then washed with ORS Creamy Aloe, then conditioned with Aveda Dry Remedy for about 10 minutes.
All I used after that was Sabino, usually that's just enough.

I couldn't even rollerset when I was relaxed, let alone now that I'm natural.. I could bantu knot again, but those take forever to dry.

I'll figure something out! Maybe flatironing just isn't for me this winter.

Labor day shrunken fro! This will be the first time I'm going out in public (with people I know) with the shrunken fro
IMG_0804.jpg
]
I'm still a little frustrated with the shrinkage. I feel like I'll have to be like 5 years post to show a little length in my wash and go

Last edited:
Hello Ladies. Congrats to the new BC'ers and love the hair GP.

So I wanted to share a great shirt that I bought off of Etsy. It is soo cute and I couldn't wait to wear it. I bought the one with the cornrows into the puff. The other designs are flowing locks and then a TWA.
The link to purchase is http://www.ohnaturaldesigns.com/

Below is a pic of the three styles from the website.
Ohnaturaldesigne.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ladies. Congrats to the new BC'ers and love the hair GP.

So I wanted to share a great shirt that I bought off of Etsy. It is soo cute and I couldn't wait to wear it. I bought the one with the cornrows into the puff. The other designs are flowing locks and then a TWA.
The link to purchase is http://www.ohnaturaldesigns.com/

Below is a pic of the three styles from the website.
Ohnaturaldesigne.jpg

I like those shirts!:yep: I may look into ordering one soon. Thanks for sharing, Steph!

I'm in a hairstyle rut...all I can manage to do are variations of the puff. I don't think I have enough length for twists that I'd like...I want a break. I want some Senegalese twists or braids...

I don't plan to straighten until about October (6 month post BC anniversary). Right now, all I wear is the puff. I may try another fro-hawk this week.

Can't wait 'till October so I can see all of your lengths!

I'm going to go ahead and have the longest DC ever (I don't think I even made 48 hours). I'd like to do it overnight but I never have. What if the cap it slips off? I know some of you cover it with a scarf, but my scarves always come off at night.

Any tips?

When I DC overnight I make sure to use my regular cotton pillowcase and not my satin/silk pillowcase so my cap won't slip all over the place.

Hi Ladies!!:wave:

Haven't been around these part in a while. Looks like everyone is doing great. I'm still experimenting as far as products for my hair, updates are in fotki. I finally figured out how to do a puff :yay: so I've been wearing mostly twist outs and puffs. I tried KBB sweet ambrosia, and hair butter the last two weeks but I'm not too impressed impressed with the results. I got her stuff bc her shop is actually in my neighborhood, but I will be ordering my oyin and qhemet this weekend.

@ GrandPrix- Your hair looks great, you retained a lot of length!! I do understand what you mean in regards to how your hair feels, I've blown out my hair 2x's so far and hated the feel of it, so much so that I just took my spray bottle and spritzed it back to a fro lol. Guess we need to find the right prods for straightening hair.

Also, How are you guys dealing with ssk's? I've done the coconut lime treatment which helps tremendously with stretching hair and detangling, but I still feel like I'm getting them more than I should, anyone else?

pookaloo here are pics of the wig. I threw it on real quick.
4968006821_165036af96_m.jpg

4968003533_6bd0d0a022_m.jpg

It's not as shiny as it looks in the photo (I had flash on) but I'm thinking maybe I should wash it take off some off the shine bc I don't want it looking silly in pictures...

Here's a wash-n-go I did the other day
4967996097_1489b9596a_m.jpg

4968607430_681825f234_m.jpg

]
I'm still a little frustrated with the shrinkage. I feel like I'll have to be like 5 years post to show a little length in my wash and go
I feel you. I know shrinkage is part of the natural hair deal but not being able to show your full length is definitely frustrating.

Last edited:
I braided my hair today (pics in my BC thread). I will try different styles this week and see if I like it.

If not, I'll have a really defined braid out for church on Sunday!

Can't wait 'till October so I can see all of your lengths!

I'm going to go ahead and have the longest DC ever (I don't think I even made 48 hours). I'd like to do it overnight but I never have. What if the cap it slips off? I know some of you cover it with a scarf, but my scarves always come off at night.

Any tips?

Plastic cap then scarf. If I still think it's going to fall off I throw a sleep cap pn top of that

I can't figure out how to put in those eonhair twists. it looks weird. I know you're supposed to twist to the left or something but it's not looking fluffy like the pictures. I picked up some regular kanekalon for senegalese twists. I'll put those in this weekend. I did a practice one today and it came out ok

pookaloo here are pics of the wig. I threw it on real quick.
4968006821_165036af96_m.jpg

4968003533_6bd0d0a022_m.jpg

It's not as shiny as it looks in the photo (I had flash on) but I'm thinking maybe I should wash it take off some off the shine bc I don't want it looking silly in pictures...

Here's a wash-n-go I did the other day
4967996097_1489b9596a_m.jpg

4968607430_681825f234_m.jpg

Love it! And Love that wash and go! :infatuated: I'll post the lace wig I'm wearing in a few. It looks similar.

I can't figure out how to put in those eonhair twists. it looks weird. I know you're supposed to twist to the left or something but it's not looking fluffy like the pictures. I picked up some regular kanekalon for senegalese twists. I'll put those in this weekend. I did a practice one today and it came out ok

So what you gonna do with that left over eon hair? Selling it? :look:

Another 'Newly Natural' checking in :hiya:

* When you BCd: Yesterday, Sept. 6

* How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 17 months

* Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness: I'm mostly 4b and dry in crown area where most shrinkage occurs but soft in the nape area and less shrinkage. Fine strands but lots of them giving the appearance of thick hair. Growth pattern appears to be down in some areas maybe due to length. Pen-sized springs/coils, IDK anything else right now.

* Your current regimen - TBD. I flat ironed after BCing now considering doing a wash-n-go in the morning but not sure what to do

* Your favorite styles: TBD

* Your current length and goal length: currently about 4 inches when straight all over (hair cut in layers) goal will be BSL

* Your photo album, if any: in my siggy

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I diluted AO GPB with coconut milk (I can't afford it otherwise :lol:) and applied it to my dry hair, put it in two french braids, put on a shower cap, a head band and a scarf. It did not move and there was no leaking, and it even got nice and warm after a while. I've been missing out! From now on this is how I will DC.

Foxglove, I get your frustration. But shrinkage is the price you pay for having awesome hair like yours. :grin:
And with all the variation you have with stretched styles, I think it's pretty cool.

Andromena, I was scrolling down your post (looking at the pics before reading, of course) and tought, oh, that's a nice wig and then saw the second pics and thought but WOW that one is gorgeous! :lachen:
I love your hair. :)

Forgive me ladies but what is ssk?

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Here are more styles I am trying out with my new natural hair:

391621111.jpg

391621105.jpg

Old bantu knot out with a flat twist going across the front. It was really cute!

I'm working on a braided look this week:
391621113.jpg

391621114.jpg

391621115.jpg

I added the smallest flexi rids I own to the ends to curl them. I don't know what this will look like in the morning.

Last edited:
Hey Newly Natural! I see some new hairdo, looking cute. I have not done anything new to my hair, washngo are good for a day. I'm just doing buns/puffs too and since it will be getting cooler I'll keep bunning to protect and grow.

StephElise love those t-shirts!

Hi Ladies. Everyone's hair's looking beautiful :yep:

I've been so busy (what's new :lol). I took out my twists last Friday and wore a twistout until Tuesday morning - I had zero time to retwist. I cowashed yesterday, airdried in 2 puffs all day. I moisturised and braided before bed last night and hair's in a puff today. I have another busy weekend and will try my hardest to twist on Sunday night.

:bighug:

Here's my lacefront that I'm wearing. It's not shiny like this really. I usually pull a little of my hairline out in front to make it look a little more natural. I didn't that day. :lol:

c0f58a5f.jpg

Back