~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Andromena, I was scrolling down your post (looking at the pics before reading, of course) and tought, oh, that's a nice wig and then saw the second pics and thought but WOW that one is gorgeous! :lachen:
I love your hair. :)
Awww, thank you!!! :blush: I appreciate that!

Love it! And Love that wash and go! :infatuated: I'll post the lace wig I'm wearing in a few. It looks similar.
Thanks!!!

Can't wait to see the lace wig! All these anti-weave/wig threads piqued my interest in bhm (talk about unintended consequences :look: ) and I went over there and saw some really nice applications of lace wigs. I thought I wouldn't be able to deal with a curly lace wig but it seems like it might be doable. I really like that they allow for the appearance of a natural part.

How easy/simple is your application process for the lace wig that you've been wearing?

I took my braids and twists out after about 3 and a half weeks. I am letting my head rest for a few days and this weekend I will try mini box braids and curl those up for a while. I have a humongous puff on my head. Its like a flying saucer.:lachen:

Awww, thank you!!! :blush: I appreciate that!

Thanks!!!

Can't wait to see the lace wig! All these anti-weave/wig threads piqued my interest in bhm (talk about unintended consequences :look: ) and I went over there and saw some really nice applications of lace wigs. I thought I wouldn't be able to deal with a curly lace wig but it seems like it might be doable. I really like that they allow for the appearance of a natural part.

How easy/simple is your application process for the lace wig that you've been wearing?

I throw it on like a regular wig.. No glue or tape. It has combs so I don't need all of that.

Yep Andromeda and GrandPrix - you have a LOT of beautiful hair :yep:

I've been natural for ~2.5 months

I'll be back to my usual everyday posting at the end of the month, I miss this thread and you ladies

:bighug:

Congratulations on your BC, TexasQT!:congrats: I :love: the wig Pook! I :love: the WNG, Foxglove! Keep up the good work, Ladies!

I did a quick cowash the other day and didn't detangle.:spank: I'll never do that again.:nono: I have the worse shrinkage, tangles, and SSKs now.:wallbash::wallbash: I think I'm going to use Mane and Tail detangler, then do an overnight prepoo with a good moisturizing and detangling condish, then see how that works. I don't usually use cones but I think I need something with superslip to detangling my hair.

Any suggestions?

Congratulations on your BC, TexasQT!:congrats: I :love: the wig Pook! I :love: the WNG, Foxglove! Keep up the good work, Ladies!

I did a quick cowash the other day and didn't detangle.:spank: I'll never do that again.:nono: I have the worse shrinkage, tangles, and SSKs now.:wallbash::wallbash: I think I'm going to use Mane and Tail detangler, then do an overnight prepoo with a good moisturizing and detangling condish, then see how that works. I don't usually use cones but I think I need something with superslip to detangling my hair.

Any suggestions?

You may have to come over to the cone side. Completely cone free didn't work for me. You could try using cones only for your hardcore detangling sessions then do cone free the rest of the time

Welcome new peeps and nice pics to all who posted. Glad to see i'm not the only one under a wig.

My update:
I'm still in 2 strand twists under my wig.

Attachments

• frontlength edited.jpg
    frontlength edited.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 27
Congratulations on your BC, TexasQT!:congrats:

Thank you Platinum and everyone for the welcome and congrats!

So far I've gotten positive feedback and the past 2 days have been exciting. Day 1 I wore my press but it rained none stop so by the end of the day I had a mushroom. Day 2 I washed and instant conditioned in the morning and used my Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Spray and Care Free Curl Hair and Scalp Spray, followed by my IC Olive oil gel, threw on a headband and rocked it. My hair was moist most of the day and by nighttime it had completely dried. I got a lot of compliments and since I work around middle school kids when they say they like something they're usually honest about what they like and don't like. before bed I braided small sections with the anticipation of doing a braid out but it didn't come out so well so -- Day 3 I rinsed with water, reapplied the CFCG spray and ecostyler gel and put it in a bun. So far so good!

Products I've purchased/will be using so far:
GVP The Detangler
Ecostyler Gel - Krystal
IC Olive Oil Gel
Care Free Curl Gold Hair and Scalp Spray
*Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 (already had on hand)

Questions: What else do I need to consider purchasing and having on hand for my hair? What do you think about the products I have so far? Do I need anything different for when I want to twist my hair?
I really need a twist tutorial. I know there's some in this thread but I have 500 more post to read before I'm done getting through everything. Can you ladies point me to a really good tutorial or thread that includes what products to use? I'm sooo green to this! TIA!

Here's my lacefront that I'm wearing. It's not shiny like this really. I usually pull a little of my hairline out in front to make it look a little more natural. I didn't that day. :lol:

I throw it on like a regular wig.. No glue or tape. It has combs so I don't need all of that.
Looks nice. Thanks!

Thank you Platinum and everyone for the welcome and congrats!

So far I've gotten positive feedback and the past 2 days have been exciting. Day 1 I wore my press but it rained none stop so by the end of the day I had a mushroom. Day 2 I washed and instant conditioned in the morning and used my Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Spray and Care Free Curl Hair and Scalp Spray, followed by my IC Olive oil gel, threw on a headband and rocked it. My hair was moist most of the day and by nighttime it had completely dried. I got a lot of compliments and since I work around middle school kids when they say they like something they're usually honest about what they like and don't like. before bed I braided small sections with the anticipation of doing a braid out but it didn't come out so well so -- Day 3 I rinsed with water, reapplied the CFCG spray and ecostyler gel and put it in a bun. So far so good!

Products I've purchased/will be using so far:
GVP The Detangler
Ecostyler Gel - Krystal
IC Olive Oil Gel
Care Free Curl Gold Hair and Scalp Spray
*Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 (already had on hand)

Questions: What else do I need to consider purchasing and having on hand for my hair? What do you think about the products I have so far? Do I need anything different for when I want to twist my hair?
I really need a twist tutorial. I know there's some in this thread but I have 500 more post to read before I'm done getting through everything. Can you ladies point me to a really good tutorial or thread that includes what products to use? I'm sooo green to this! TIA!

I only have personal experience with ecostyler crystal and I like it. I've heard good things about the gvp detangler. What are your basics? Shampoo, dc, sealant? I see you're using the cfc hair spray, so does that not require a sealant? Have you considered how the change in seasons might affect the results of a glycerin-based product or does the humidity not change much in Texas? I use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or White Camelia for DC. I use a variety of things for sealants depending on a number of factors - olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, and, most recently, wheat germ oil (for ceramides).

As for twist tutorials, I posted one upthread in response to zaz. So if you search the thread for my username + keyword twists, it should come up. That one wasn't specifically for short hair, iirc. A method you might want to try for twisting and twist outs is coiling the hair as you twist it. I'm not aware of any other specific threads with tutorials but they should come up in a search.

Straightened my hair but I couldn't get it straight. It's more kinky straight. :( My ends are sorta ratty but I plan on trimming them anyways - maybe a .5 - 1 inch? I guess I'll dust...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 47
Soo pretty andromeda! How did you straighten it? Do you think your ends look ratty because your hair isn't all the way straight? You may want to hold off on the trim if that's the case.

Everyone that's straightening has been at or super close to APL!

Soo pretty andromeda! How did you straighten it? Do you think your ends look ratty because your hair isn't all the way straight? You may want to hold off on the trim if that's the case.

Everyone that's straightening has been at or super close to APL!
thanks!

After rinsing out the dc, I braided my hair in 6-8 braids to stretch it overnight (instead
of blowdrying). Put some wheat germ oil on my ends because they were feeling sort of brittle. Today, I undid the braids one by one, added chi silk infusion, combed/detangled, maxiglided on 5-7. I saw that my hair was coming out somewhat poofy and wispy and needed something to weigh it down, so I started adding some coconut oil. This definitely helped with making my hair, including the ends, sleeker and straighter. But as I was going along, I guess my hair was reverting somewhat. By the time I was finished my hair definitely wasn't sleek but I didn't want to go back over my hair, so
I wrapped it with some coconut oil under a silk scarf. Undid the scarf a couple of hours later and my hair was just as poofy, maybe poofier. So
I think it's a combo of my ends being somewhat brittle (they need to go) and them not getting straight/reverting.

I'm overdue for a trim, so although I'm tempted to wait, I think maybe I should just trim and let it even up while I'm wigging it for the next 6 months.

I dunno. *sigh* I need to get to my straightening technique on point and maybe I need to get to some of the sabino stuff (although I've hear less than favorable things about the new formula). Maybe it's better to blow dry on wet/damp hair and work from there next time.

@wow: andromeda! Your growth is AMAZING :yep:

I just realised there's a significant difference in my pony puff.

Today:

Enjoy your weekend ladies!!!

Welcome to all the newly natural ladies!!!

Whew, I've been gone for a while! I took out my kinky twists this week, wanted to go 6 weeks but made just about a month. I'm going to cowash and twist tonight and see if they look ok enough to wear outside, LOL.

Loving all the hair pics, everyone is looking so beautiful. I'd like to straighten maybe around Christmas but I'm nervous.

Have a great weekend ladies.

From this
DSC03829.jpg
DSC04004.jpg

To this
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg

I was looking at some old pics and I'm so excited about how far I've come

I had a little bit of shedding but given how long my hair was restricted that is to be expected. I just rinsed out my overnight DC and later I will start and eventually finish my box braids. I will curl them and braid them over the time that I wear them. I am aiming for 2 weeks.

I've been inspired by all the posts about sealing with grease/ vaseline and I've started sealing my ends with my JBCO pomade. We'll see if it makes a difference over time.

I love how well we're all doing in this thread!

I've decided I'm going to try to survive the winter with buns and maybe ponytails every now and then. I suddenly feel very strong about retaining every bit of growth that I get so that I can enjoy my WnG's even more next summer.

Andromena, don't ever say that your hair is thin again! I'll be holding that pic against you.

Foxglove, those comparison shots are amazing! Congrats, you've really come a very long way. :yep:
Same goes for you, MG. You were the transitioning queen and everything :lol:, but your natural hair is so beautiful now.

I am trying a new product from Mozeke-

I purchased
coconut kokum hair milk,
mango cupuacu holding butter
and whipped avocado hair cream.

I have the coconut cupuaco hair milk in now-
not as 'milky' as others
rather thick
but it smells great.

I will give reviews on them soon.
The ingreds sound great,
so I thought I would give them a try.

Still loving the simplicity of it all...

The Whipped Avocado Cream is my staple moisturizer and has been for months. I LOVE it, and will never be without my 16 oz jar. After I cowash I apply Knot Today, the Avocado Cream, seal my ends, and then bun. Smooth, soft hair that lasts until the next cowash.

About to start going through this thread. I am not natural yet, I'm transitioning w/o the bc. The back half of my hair is all natural- its layered and ranges from 5.5 to 3 inches long. The top is longer and still has about 3 inches of relaxed ends left. So at this point, I have way more natural than relaxed hair, so I will be lurking in here.

I had an experiment w/a twist out and I used Ms Jessies Baby buttercreme, however, it kind of irritated my scalp and has less than quality ingredients. I did like the texture of the product tho, so I'm on a hunt for something similar with better ingredients.

I only have personal experience with ecostyler crystal and I like it. I've heard good things about the gvp detangler. What are your basics? Shampoo, dc, sealant?
My basics include Hair One, Creme of Nature Mega-moisture and Deep Moisture Conditioners, Hairveda cleanser and conditioner, KeraCare Sulfate-Free Shampoo, and Suave Coconut. I haven't really identified my staples but I really like the Creme of Nature products - always have even during my relaxers and transitioning phases. I have Nutri-Oil, the regular and lite versions of WGHO, and olive oil, and argon oil on hand for sealing.
I see you're using the cfc hair spray, so does that not require a sealant? Have you considered how the change in seasons might affect the results of a glycerin-based product or does the humidity not change much in Texas?
I am sealing with the CFCG spray but I'm trying to figure out is it best to seal after the spray and before gel or after the gel. I've done both and really haven't been able to tell a difference between the two. As far as humidity in Texas, I think we are done with that and entering into fall with the drop in temperature (and lots of rain) that we've had. I'm in North Texas btw.

As for twist tutorials, I posted one upthread in response to zaz. So if you search the thread for my username + keyword twists, it should come up. That one wasn't specifically for short hair, iirc. A method you might want to try for twisting and twist outs is coiling the hair as you twist it. I'm not aware of any other specific threads with tutorials but they should come up in a search.
I'll check this out asap and thanks! I need to know what products are being used to keep twists in place and after-care, etc. Going to search now.

I've had a small setback in my nape.:sad: I think it came from using the headbands that have the elastic on them for my puff. So I'm going to try to learn how to cornrow and/or flat twist the front and leave the elastic headbands alone (cloth headbands didn't give me this problem but the elastic ones give me a neat puff :ohwell:) Then again, I may consider going back to Senegalese Twists when the temps start to drop.

As for the rest of my hair, I'm still getting good growth and retention.:look:

I pincurled my hair the past two nights and it definitely felt smoother and the ends were sleeker. It's still puffy but having the extra volume isn't such a bad thing. Still have yet to trim but I took some extra length shots.

MummysGirl and Foxglove - excellent progress and beautiful puffs!

Grand Prix - Thanks but my hair only looks thicker because I didn't get it bone straight. I've actually lost some thickness since BCing, hence why I downgraded myself to "low density" a while back. Hopefully cornrowing and wigging will bring me back to the lower end of medium density, at the very least.

texasqt - do you have the type of hair that slips out of twists? I don't know if a special product for twisting is necessary. I do think that the ecostyler would help with holding them. I also think a couple of posters have mentioned using shea moitsture milk or smoothie for their twists (or twist outs). I used this for my twists and, aside from the allergic reaction :look:, my twists came out nicely.

Last edited:
I did my 1st ever wash and go today for church and I REALLY loved it. It was easy and fun!

I'll be sure to post pics soon!

Back