~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I'm just experimenting with styling..
photo-vi.jpg

Ok, this is gorgeous!!

I need to find a way to loosen up my curls a bit. I have some super tighttighttight coils. My hair looks wonderful wet with a little bit of KCC and some coconut oil in it. However, as soon as it drys, it shrinks.

I need something to loosen my curls a little bit as well. The back the curls are more loose than up top and on the sides. I hope someone comes in with suggestions.

Hmm, there a few things you could try in order to loosen your curls.

Mild heat
yogurt relaxer
henna
BKT/keratin
That's all I can think of right now.

I use henna but not for the curl loosening effect. I do it more for color transfer. I'm not really sure if my curls are looser. HTH

I haven't done anything special with my hair lately but I can tell that I'm getting good growth and retention :yay:. Still rocking my fro and baggying. I started back on my Ecostyler Olive Oil gel. :yep: I like to switch it up a bit. Sometimes I wear my hair in it's kinky state (no Ecostyler), other times I like to make my curls pop with the gel.

Keep up the good work everyone.

I haven't done anything special with my hair lately but I can tell that I'm getting good growth and retention :yay:. Still rocking my fro and baggying. I started back on my Ecostyler Olive Oil gel. :yep: I like to switch it up a bit. Sometimes I wear my hair in it's kinky state (no Ecostyler), other times I like to make my curls pop with the gel.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Okay...I just bought this and am trying to figure out how to use it. I put it on after a co-wash, HE LTR leave-in and jojoba oil. It left the white flake things in my hair and also got a bit hard as the day went on. Any suggestions on how it should be used (and in what order)? I would just like to know before I "X" this product out.

Thanks

Okay...I just bought this and am trying to figure out how to use it. I put it on after a co-wash, HE LTR leave-in and jojoba oil. It left the white flake things in my hair and also got a bit hard as the day went on. Any suggestions on how it should be used (and in what order)? I would just like to know before I "X" this product out.

Thanks

Use it with a glycerin based product without cones. I have used Long Aid Activator gel underneath the Ecostyler, and I've used my homemade spray mix (water, aloe vera juice, glycerin) as well. I get defined curls without the hardness. You could also try Aloe Vera gel underneath, too.

Hi Ladies,
Everyone's looking good. Congrats recent BC'ers (most especially my hair twin mrsjohnson :) ). My hair's back in twists and I think I'm going to have it in twists for a long while. I loved wearing my hair out for 2 weeks but I don't have time for it at the moment. I'll redo the twists every 2 weeks. Cowash at least 2ce a week, DC at least once and moisturise and seal 2ce daily.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.

:bighug:

Hmm, there a few things you could try in order to loosen your curls.

Mild heat
yogurt relaxer
henna
BKT/keratin
That's all I can think of right now.

I use henna but not for the curl loosening effect. I do it more for color transfer. I'm not really sure if my curls are looser. HTH

I have to leave heat alone for a while, so that is out. I HATED henna and I can't do a BKT treatment because I have a scalp condition so I really have to be extra careful what I put on my hair/scalp. So, looks like I am going the yogurt route.....lol

Does anyone know what kind is best? Also, how long do you leave it on?

Hi everyone! I haven't checked in in a while and I've been doing the bare minimum to my hair lately. For the past 10 days or so I've just been cowashing and bunning every morning without taking my hair down at night to re-moisturize. My hair doesn't seem to be having any negative effects, but I miss deep conditioning and massaging my scalp, so I'll try to get back on my routine by Friday.

I have to leave heat alone for a while, so that is out. I HATED henna and I can't do a BKT treatment because I have a scalp condition so I really have to be extra careful what I put on my hair/scalp. So, looks like I am going the yogurt route.....lol

Fage Full Fat Greek Yogurt. I think 30-45 min should be good. I did this once during my transition, along with a tea rinse and haven't done it since. My new growth was softer (that's the result I as going for) and somewhat loosened. I haven't done it since becoming fully natural, although I do henna monthly (for color and strength).

There are threads that go into detail about the process. I'll see if I can find the one that I read...
eta: here's one and here's a link to more

Last edited:
My hair feels great when I'm moisturizing and sealing every other day when in twists, but then soon as I co-wash them, they feel dry as the desert! I don't get it, but trial and error has eliminated that from my routine for sure :)

Check out this video. It gives step by step instructions as well as products. I haven't personally tried it but would love to know your results.:yep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI

ETA: It's called a Coconut Cream Relaxer

Last edited:

Thanks

I had the same problem with it being hard. After looking at some YT vids, maybe we need to use less. I know I think I had put too much on. A lot of people I've spoken too said it hadn't left their hair hard, so maybe that's the prob

In the meantime, Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and Curly Pudding have become my best friends :) Curl definition and no more hard hair :)

Use it with a glycerin based product without cones. I have used Long Aid Activator gel underneath the Ecostyler, and I've used my homemade spray mix (water, aloe vera juice, glycerin) as well. I get defined curls without the hardness. You could also try Aloe Vera gel underneath, too.

I'm going to try this way next time I decide to use my ecostyler

I'm soo style-challenged. So tired of braidouts, but I can't think of anything else. WNGs--I'm afraid to do, bc my hair is like, layered (naturally), plus I don't think it'll look right on me. LOL. Then, I have some breakage.don't know if it's really bad or worse, damaged (can't tell)...*sighs* just venting.

Just gotta keep trucking along....this too shall pass.

Well, as you already know I've been dealing with cornrow drama. Long story short, I took them out on day 8 and wore a braidout for 2/3 days. I was amazed by how big my hair was since it was stretched out (see avatar pic).

I deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose on dry hair, and let me just say that after being in the hair game since 2006, this is the BEST DEEP CONDITIONER I HAVE EVER USED!!! I let my hair dry with NO product and it was soooooo SOFT. When my friend combed through it to twist my hair, there was very very little breakage. Woot! Woot!

So now my hair is in 2 strand twists. (It is about 2 3/4 - 3 inches long now.) And i'm wearing a wig over my twists. I'm gonna rock out with this for as long as possible because I'm at the point where I am extremely BORED and TIRED of my hair. This is the point where I always shave it off or texturize it; therefore, I am trying to hide my hair from myself so I won't start snipping it off.

Also, I have reached the point where my hair is about as long as its ever been throughout my many natural journeys.

My Milestone list (the ones in bold have been achieved!!!):

#1 Be able to wear a headband
#2 Be able to wear a shrunken puff and look halfway decent
#3 Get to the length that I was at during my 1st attempt at being natural

#4 The Frohawk!!
#5 Ear Length Hair
#6 NL Hair
#7 Make a Ponytail to Wear a Fake Puff
#8 SL Hair
#9 Make 2 big PonyPuffs / 2 big Cornrows
#10 Be able to put 10 big twists in my hair at night and call it a day

Well, as you already know I've been dealing with cornrow drama. Long story short, I took them out on day 8 and wore a braidout for 2/3 days. I was amazed by how big my hair was since it was stretched out (see avatar pic).

I deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose on dry hair, and let me just say that after being in the hair game since 2006, this is the BEST DEEP CONDITIONER I HAVE EVER USED!!! I let my hair dry with NO product and it was soooooo SOFT. When my friend combed through it to twist my hair, there was very very little breakage. Woot! Woot!

So now my hair is in 2 strand twists. (It is about 2 3/4 - 3 inches long now.) And i'm wearing a wig over my twists. I'm gonna rock out with this for as long as possible because I'm at the point where I am extremely BORED and TIRED of my hair. This is the point where I always shave it off or texturize it; therefore, I am trying to hide my hair from myself so I won't start snipping it off.

Also, I have reached the point where my hair is about as long as its ever been throughout my many natural journeys.

My Milestone list (the ones in bold have been achieved!!!):

#1 Be able to wear a headband
#2 Be able to wear a shrunken puff and look halfway decent
#3 Get to the length that I was at during my 1st attempt at being natural

#4 The Frohawk!!
#5 Ear Length Hair
#6 NL Hair
#7 Make a Ponytail to Wear a Fake Puff
#8 SL Hair
#9 Make 2 big PonyPuffs / 2 big Cornrows
#10 Be able to put 10 big twists in my hair at night and call it a day

Glad you like AOHSR and congrats on reaching your milestone.

I think I can get another week (or at least 3 more days) out of these three strand twists. :woot:

What's with this new layout. I don't like it :/

How're you all doing? My twists are a week old now. I DC'd on dry hair hair (in twists) overnight and cowashed this morning... here's my hair wet:

I'll keep them in for another week. I'll redo them in a week - take one down and redo till I'm done with my whole head. I'll make sure I cowash, DC when my hair's in the twists.

hello ladies! i finally took my twists out. i think i lasted almost 2 weeks with my twists. i took them down and the twistout was gorgeous! i was really tempted to wear it, but i just had to wash and dc my hair because i skipped last week. the rinsed twistout was beautiful too. i'm gonna post pics for yal. i would put them in my fotki but i's scared lol. the rinsed twistout is in my siggy. ♥

twistout. ♥
npjqqh.jpg

Okay I just did a search to see exactly when the first pic was taken and it was July 16, so this is 1.5 months worth of growth. I'm not sure if its good, bad, average or just okay. I was a little geeked though lol... So anyway the second pic was taken today. *44*

7/16/10
newhair020.jpg

8/29/10
n009-1.jpg

ETA: excuse my eye, I distorted the pic.

I need to stop playing when it comes to detangling. I can just be so lazy sometimes. I am finding little balls of hair at the end of my curls. I feel like it just shed hair I did not fully remove. Tonight I will get it right.

My hair has grown a bit.

Here's my hair in April. I just bc'd.

panbc2-1-1.jpg

Here's my hair last week. Just stretched by braiding it overnight.
38969a28.jpg

Back