~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I think I may take a page outta LongHairDon'tCare's book and wear cornrows this fall/winter. Might alternate with flat twist styles. I just want retention during the cold months. Are you ladies getting trims at all? I've snipped here and there if the ends of my twists were wonky or had ssk's.

I haven't had a trim yet. I'm thinking by the end of the year I'll have someone do it for me.

For the 4A fine hair naturals, what products do use? Do you get great moisture from them? Do you get any curl definition? Does your fine strands prefer natural/organic products? TIA for your help!

I think I may take a page outta LongHairDon'tCare's book and wear cornrows this fall/winter. Might alternate with flat twist styles. I just want retention during the cold months. Are you ladies getting trims at all? I've snipped here and there if the ends of my twists were wonky or had ssk's.

I don't trim...just search & destroy. And cornrows are my plan for this fall/winter. I had my first set done a few days ago and I love it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this somewhere else...this is my new plan:

Exactly! In regards to growth, thats why I'm in braids. If I keep my loose hair out, I'm going to keep playing in it and slowly break it all off. And since I paid 50 bucks for these things (which I NEVER do), I'm gonna keep them in till FOREVER AND A DAY. I'm gonna get my money's worth!!

So in regards to styles/growth, I'm going to continue getting cornrows/braids/kinkytwists until I can't stand it anymore. It would be awesome if I can stay in a protective style until March. Everytime I take my hair down, I will let it rest for a week/two and then get it redone. So thats the plan. If I stay PS'd until March, that an opportunity for 3 inches of hair...THATS SIX INCHES ALL AROUND....and MY NATURAL HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN THAT LONG BEFORE...So I really, really, want to do this.

Wish me luck ladies.

My regimen while in a PROTECTIVE STYLE, I will be using three products daily:
Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier
Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave-in Spray
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
**And if I feel the need to wash my hair, I will only rinse it with plain water**

My regimen when I take my hair down and wear it loose in between Protective Styles:
Shampoo with Renpure Organics Moisture Shampoo (red bottle)
Deep Condition with Taliah Waajid's Herbal Conditoner
Use Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Spray as a Leave-In/Mister
Moisturize with Oyin Handmade's Whipped Pudding
Seal With JBCO

I have a bunch of products on deck that I am trying to use up (namely moisturizers), so once I run out of one, I will post up with whatever I replace it with.

Ummm...yeah...thats it...

Playing with my hair last night...

Was home all day today (flu) so my hair's been in 6 braids all day, I'll moisturise before I go back to bed (in 30 mins).

Just got some headbands from ebay. My hair is still in a TWA about 2-3 inches when I stretch it but I really can't/don't do much except use KCCC.

Anyway, out of total boredom and the outrageous prices I've seen for some of the cuter headbands out there I bought a few from ebay. They took forever to ship since they came from Asia but I think they were worth it. And I saved at least $10 even with shipping.

So here's what I got in the mail today. I think they're pretty cute. (Mind you, I'm a 30 something year old that works with a bunch of lawyers, can't do anything too too fun :ohwell:)

Attachments

• IMG00672-20100820-1306.jpg
    IMG00672-20100820-1306.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00675-20100820-1307.jpg
    IMG00675-20100820-1307.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 30
i'm so glad i found something i liked for my hair. these twists on dry hair are the bomb. i don't have to do anything to my hair when i wake up! just moisturize when it feels a lil dry, and walk out the door! this is awesome! ♥

For the 4A fine hair naturals, what products do use? Do you get great moisture from them? Do you get any curl definition? Does your fine strands prefer natural/organic products? TIA for your help!

I use a very minimal amount of products. The staples/necessities include protein and Lekair conditioner (which has keratin). Whatever you do, fine strands need to avoid build-up like the plague's plague! So a clarifying shampoo and/or avoidance of heavy, piled-on products is a must.

When PSing I use a homemade butter I made from shea butter, aloe vera gel, and H6O for most of my styles.

For daily moisture (and when I wear my hair out) I use my spray mix of I23, water, and H6O.

I'm not one to try for defined curls, but you should try a light gel like the Fantasia IC gel.

Lastly, I've come to realize over the years that whether a product is natural or not, cone or cone-free doesn't matter too much to my hair. But I'd say my products tend to be pretty cheap, basic, and minimalist, leaning towards the natural end of the scale.

FINALLY!! I can join you ladies :) More pics to come...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744&page=151

:congrats: Welcome to the club!

The hair at the back of my head is avery fine 4a strands and I notice that it is easy to get it moisturized (YTC, AO White Camelia :love2:) but I need to watch out that I don't overmoisturize because then it tangles and snaps so easily. Regular protein is a must for me!
I do get curl definition by just leaving conditioner in, but I also like the fluffiness, so I don't add gel or anything because I prefer it that way.

I don't trim...just search & destroy. And cornrows are my plan for this fall/winter. I had my first set done a few days ago and I love it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this somewhere else...this is my new plan:

Exactly! In regards to growth, thats why I'm in braids. If I keep my loose hair out, I'm going to keep playing in it and slowly break it all off. And since I paid 50 bucks for these things (which I NEVER do), I'm gonna keep them in till FOREVER AND A DAY. I'm gonna get my money's worth!!

So in regards to styles/growth, I'm going to continue getting cornrows/braids/kinkytwists until I can't stand it anymore. It would be awesome if I can stay in a protective style until March. Everytime I take my hair down, I will let it rest for a week/two and then get it redone. So thats the plan. If I stay PS'd until March, that an opportunity for 3 inches of hair...THATS SIX INCHES ALL AROUND....and MY NATURAL HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN THAT LONG BEFORE...So I really, really, want to do this.

Wish me luck ladies.

My regimen while in a PROTECTIVE STYLE, I will be using three products daily:
Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier
Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave-in Spray
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
**And if I feel the need to wash my hair, I will only rinse it with plain water**

My regimen when I take my hair down and wear it loose in between Protective Styles:
Shampoo with Renpure Organics Moisture Shampoo (red bottle)
Deep Condition with Taliah Waajid's Herbal Conditoner
Use Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Spray as a Leave-In/Mister
Moisturize with Oyin Handmade's Whipped Pudding
Seal With JBCO

I have a bunch of products on deck that I am trying to use up (namely moisturizers), so once I run out of one, I will post up with whatever I replace it with.

Ummm...yeah...thats it...

Can you explain why you would only rinse your hair with plain water and not shampoo? I cowashed while in braids and it was a nightmare.

It's been over two months since my BC, and I'm enjoying my hair:yep:.

I think I'm addicted to Ecostyler, though:look:.

picture.php

2 MONTHS NATURAL~A Photo Montage
:grin:

Chile.... you and me both. Plus I gotsta have me some curl activator too. Be feinding like a crack head when I don't.:nono:

As stated above, I love my curl activator gels and moisturizers. Creamy leave ins are great and my hair doesn't feel right unless I add my shea butter mixture to my wet hair. Castor oil is my favorite oil as well. Like nikolite mentioned, protein maintenance is very important to our fine strands so I make sure to keep some around. Henna also helps to strenghten my strands as well as cover my stray greys. Good tip nikolite about the build up issues. I think I was starting to experience this as well so I will make sure to do regular clarifying either with shampoo or my bentonite clay.

Playing with my hair last night...

Was home all day today (flu) so my hair's been in 6 braids all day, I'll moisturise before I go back to bed (in 30 mins).

These puffs are so yummy.:lick:

FINALLY!! I can join you ladies :) More pics to come...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419744&page=151

Congratulations on your BC mrsjohnson. Glad to finally have you here to stay.:yep:

So I've been gone a minute because we went on vacation in Puerto Rico. Lovely weather and beaches. I'll post a pic my DH took while I wasn't really posing just because:drunk:. A few more are in my fotki.
August2010B035-vi.jpg

Oh and this is a pic of my hair with no product, just leave in conditioner and castor oil. Not bad but I still like how my hair feels with the curl activator and ecostyler.
August2010B085-vi.jpg

Now this was a true wash and go. The other pic of my hair with no head band was actually previously banded hair (to stretch in 4 puffs) that I took down and just refreshed. Missed you guys!!:yep:

I'm thinking about buying some Benonite clay today if I can find a Vitamin Shoppe on my route. I haven't done much with my hair this week. I just banded and baggied. This week I baggied with Carefree Curl Gold activator gel, Worlds of Curls moisturizer and sealed with Black Castor oil. It seems like a good combination so far. I've been using Mega Tek *only on the scalp* every other day (too early to tell if it's boosting my growth rate but my scalp itches like crazy).

Keep up the good work Everyone!

hey ladies! i had a question for those with thick 4a hair and maybe you guys can help? i am currently transitioning... for 15 months so far and have been wearing protective styles ie weaves and braids...currently in braids.

i have never had hair past my shoulders until now but obviously with the two textures its hard to tell, i wanted to know how did you guys manage to get thick natural 4a hair with relaxed ends into a ponytail of some sort? and what did the ends do? or what to do with them...honestly i havent touched my hair since like month 5 before i decided it was a lil too much work for me to deal with.

i really want to give my hair a break from the braids in a few weeks and wanted to know should i try to straighten it and then put it in a ponytail/bun(watever works) or fit it in a ponytail when its wet? i cant imagine it working because its sooooooo thick and i feel like i would need like four hands to help with that.

hey ladies! i had a question for those with thick 4a hair and maybe you guys can help? i am currently transitioning... for 15 months so far and have been wearing protective styles ie weaves and braids...currently in braids.

i have never had hair past my shoulders until now but obviously with the two textures its hard to tell, i wanted to know how did you guys manage to get thick natural 4a hair with relaxed ends into a ponytail of some sort? and what did the ends do? or what to do with them...honestly i havent touched my hair since like month 5 before i decided it was a lil too much work for me to deal with.

i really want to give my hair a break from the braids in a few weeks and wanted to know should i try to straighten it and then put it in a ponytail/bun(watever works) or fit it in a ponytail when its wet? i cant imagine it working because its sooooooo thick and i feel like i would need like four hands to help with that.

You have a few options
-ponytail rollerset to stretch out your roots then do the ponytail
ETA this is one example of a ponytail rollerset
http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2008/09/cheat-set-ponytail-rollerset.html
-braid or twist your roots and set your relaxed ends like you normally would (rollers, braids, airdry, etc). This will also stretch out your roots
-wet ponytail- after washing/cowashing, use your leave in and some kind of heavyish setting product (butter, gel, etc) and put your hair in a ponytail and tie a scarf so your egdes/base lays smooth. Then put the rest in a bun/ponytail

^^ aww thank you sooooo much! i am actually looking forward to these last 3 months of my transition, because i have never had this much hair before let alone a ponytail:cry4:. now i cant wait to take my braids out to actually style my hair!!!

sidebar: when you bc'd!! you were my inspiration to holdout on bc'ing so i can get a bangin puff like yours!:drool::love3:

^^ aww thank you sooooo much! i am actually looking forward to these last 3 months of my transition, because i have never had this much hair before let alone a ponytail:cry4:. now i cant wait to take my braids out to actually style my hair!!!

sidebar: when you bc'd!! you were my inspiration to holdout on bc'ing so i can get a bangin puff like yours!:drool::love3:

Aww thanks :grin:

I won't come inside this thread anymore cos I'm really jealous of everyone. I've still got about 5 - 6 months to go with my transition and I want to be fully natural like YESTERDAY!!!:cry:

Welcome to all the new naturals! :welcome:

Beautiful hair steph, mummysgirl (hope you're feeling better), pookaloo and others who've posted pics recently!
_______
These naturals in my neighborhood got me feeling inadequate.:ohwell: I'll just try to continue to view them as source of inspiration rather than intimidation.

I've been wearing my hair in three-strand twists for a week. Maneandchic did a post on them a few weeks ago. I never watched the vid tutorial, I just did them on a whim and they turned out very nicely. They show a bit more of my length and they look neater, too. I'll probably re-do them today, so I'll take pics when I'm finished.

Back