~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

flawedbeauty....your 10 month progress is amazing! i love your color also!

On my end...i tried a couple of styles this week... first, flat twists with a phony pony...then i released them for a twist out... I lovedddd the twist out this time:) here are my results:drunk:

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-08-11 at 13.12.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-11 at 13.12.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 24
  • fro2.jpg
    fro2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
  • twistout.jpg
    twistout.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 28
  • frohawk.jpg
    frohawk.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 26
And I know you've seen this pic already Fox, but I wanted to share it with everyone else. So I finally wore my hair out comfortably with no head bands or other hair accessories. I even got an compliment from my mom who is not a big fan of natural hair.

Steph you look fantastic! Loving your curly fro.

I took one of the coils and stretched it. It expands a LOT. It looks and feels different than marley hair. I do like that you don't have to do anything to the ends bc for the life of me even when I dunk kinky twist hair in boiling water it never comes out like the salon
Be sure to post pics, I wanted to try that hair but I had these packs that I brought over here with me and wanted to use them up.

Hello fellow newbies! Just wanted to share my most recent month of progress with you guys. I am constantly amazed that my hair actually grows- some of you may take this for granted but for years mine never did.

Anyway, before the tears start, take a look at my growth over the last month.Happy growing ladies!

That's some great progress girl!

Lovely pics, ladies. I twisted my hair last night/this morning. the same style I had a while back. flat twists on the sides and the rest individually twisted. I washed with EQP Creme Conditioning Poo and then conditioned with AOHSR. I'm wondering if I should have clarified. My hair felt kinda like straw when I was trying to twist :ohwell:

Or maybe it was drying too fast from sitting in front of the fan? :look:

Couple progress pics

Your hair is growing fast. And, your flat twists are the bomb! Mine still come out janky.

On my end...i tried a couple of styles this week... first, flat twists with a phony pony...then i released them for a twist out... I lovedddd the twist out this time:) here are my results:drunk:

Conqueror I'm loving this, the style was so cute and the twistout is fabulous.

I finished my twists yesterday but I couldn't find the usb cord for the camera. Anyway, here they are. They look cute down but it's too hot for that :nono:. I'm hoping to keep them in for 6 weeks even though I did this set a little bigger than the last.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dang you Foxglove!!:naughty: You always come up with the greatest vids. So you know I had to get me one of those tangle teasers. I'll let you all know how it works out when I get it.
And I know you've seen this pic already Fox, but I wanted to share it with everyone else. So I finally wore my hair out comfortably with no head bands or other hair accessories. I even got an compliment from my mom who is not a big fan of natural hair. You think she might be coming around?:scratchch This is just my usual routine of the curl activator an ecostyler gel. This works well for me so I just stick with it. I am really loving my hair.
Aug102010014-vi.jpg

Girl, I couldn't see your pic from work yesterday! OMG! Your wash and go is gorgeous!!!

Hello fellow newbies! Just wanted to share my most recent month of progress with you guys. I am constantly amazed that my hair actually grows- some of you may take this for granted but for years mine never did.

Anyway, before the tears start, take a look at my growth over the last month:

Happy growing ladies!

Wow, your hair grows fast! Awesome progress! What are you using on your hair?

Lovely pics, ladies. I twisted my hair last night/this morning. the same style I had a while back. flat twists on the sides and the rest individually twisted. I washed with EQP Creme Conditioning Poo and then conditioned with AOHSR. I'm wondering if I should have clarified. My hair felt kinda like straw when I was trying to twist :ohwell:

Or maybe it was drying too fast from sitting in front of the fan? :look:

Couple progress pics (sorry the mac cam is a lil dark):

PYT, your hair is beautiful!! I wish I had skills to style my hair like that. Your hair has really grown!

flawedbeauty....your 10 month progress is amazing! i love your color also!

Beautiful hair Conqueror! You all are some styling sistas! I need to learn how to!

my hairs is long enough for finger twists but my hair is so curly that its hard to twist but once i twist it unravels and goes back to its natural curl....annoying

I don't think I've ever posted pics in this lovely thread. So here are a few. My twists, a twist-out, and blow-dried:

IMG_00101-vi.jpg

IMG_21431-vi.jpg

backview_8_13_2010-vi.jpg

Hey y'all, question: I have my hair in individual box braids (my hair without extensions, at least in the back). I want to rinse my hair but I'm afraid this will cause matting. Will it? The braids are about the size of a pencil, maybe a little bit smaller.

My plan was to rinse, add my shea mix to my ends, band the ends with scrunchies (or maybe the whole braid), and let my hair air dry..

Good idea? Bad idea? Please advise. Thanks!

Hey y'all, question: I have my hair in individual box braids (my hair without extensions, at least in the back). I want to rinse my hair but I'm afraid this will cause matting. Will it? The braids are about the size of a pencil, maybe a little bit smaller.

My plan was to rinse, add my shea mix to my ends, band the ends with scrunchies (or maybe the whole braid), and let my hair air dry..

Good idea? Bad idea? Please advise. Thanks!

I rinsed my hair almost everyday when I wore my twists. I rinsed and ran some kccc through them. I'm sure you'll be able to rinse them

When you ladies are wearing your hair twisted do you guys constantly get asked if you are trying to get locs? My whole family was asking me that today. I don't think they comprehend twists as a style...

I tried putting the spring twists in. I don't know what I was doing wrong but they weren't coming out like I wanted so I took them out. I ended up doing a twist and curl (which came out looking like a chunky twistout). Here are some comparison pics from my BC (3/23/10) and yesterday (8/14/10)
Twistout
comparison1-vi.jpg

Wash and go puff
comparison2-vi.jpg

Hair right out of the shower
comparison3-vi.jpg

Front
comparison4-vi.jpg

Side
comparison5-vi.jpg

Back
comparison6-vi.jpg

When you ladies are wearing your hair twisted do you guys constantly get asked if you are trying to get locs? My whole family was asking me that today. I don't think they comprehend twists as a style...

I don't wear twist my hair won't hole. But I have never seen anyone IRL wear twist, even being in DMV. I've only seen them on the board. So don't be surprise most braided styles are weaves, cornrows, locs and now sister locs. Yours are very creative and pretty, they'll get use to them.

I've been getting that questions about whether or not i was loc'ing since about 10 months into my transition. Most people don't comprehend twist outs. braid outs, bantus and all of the of the styles that we do over here. Funny enough I wore twists all last week and didn't get not one loc question. People are just curious, I guess.

Great Progress FoxGlove!!! I'll do comparisons in a couple of months :yep:

-PYT, the locs comments = weird. I think it's just people's reaction to natural hair. If it's not combed/blown out, it looks tangled to them.

Ladies, I've been so lazy, I couldn't do my twists over the weekend. I was home all day on Sunday (my hair was in ~8 braids and stayed that way until this morning :ohwell: )

So of course my hair's back in a puff :lick: IT actually makes sense to wait till this weekend cos it's my friend's birthday on Saturday and I want to wear my hair out. So I'm definitely twisting it up on Sunday... promise to myself :drunk:

My mom asked me this after complimenting my mini twists which is weird bc she hates locs.
In other news I might revisit the mini twists again since I failed at putting in the spring twists

Mini twists take 2. I made this set bigger than the last. I liked the look of the last set better. Maybe these will grow on me.
Dry
IMG_0793-vi.jpg

Wet with gel
IMG_0796-vi.jpg

Hi Ladies :)

When you BCd--August 14, 2010

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd--about 6 months post relaxer

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness--still trying to figure my hair type; right now it appears to be 4a with a few little 3cs appearing; but I'm sure this will change in time. My hair seems to pretty dense and definitely shrinkage (my hair stretched is about 3 inches; unstretched it looks about 2 inches)

Your current regimen--so far co wash at night, growth aids, moisture and seal to baggy the rest of night and then rinse hair in the morning add moisture and wear a wash and go; will be trying eco styler with wash and go tomorrow

Your favorite styles--wash and go is all i can really wear right now

Your current length and goal length--TWA; short term neck length
Your photo album, if any

I got my hair braided today. I'm going to try and keep them in for at least 4 weeks.

Attachments

• cornrows Aug 16, 2010.jpg
    cornrows Aug 16, 2010.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 23
Keep up the good work everybody!:clap: I haven't done anything lately. Still wearing my afro and headband everyday even though a friend told me that I look like Jimi Hendrix like that.:nono: I tried an oil rinse the other night with olive oil and I think it's a keeper. I think I may have mentioned that I was going to start back on Mega Tek, I haven't yet but I will be mixing tonight and doing my first application since the Megatek craze back in 2008.:look:

Does anyone know if diffusing your hair tangles it? I have been trying to diffuse my hair in order for it to dry faster (it takes FOREVER), but it seems Izzy is now super tangled at the roots, and I never had this problem before...it must be the diffusing right?

I think I may take a page outta LongHairDon'tCare's book and wear cornrows this fall/winter. Might alternate with flat twist styles. I just want retention during the cold months. Are you ladies getting trims at all? I've snipped here and there if the ends of my twists were wonky or had ssk's.

I think I may take a page outta LongHairDon'tCare's book and wear cornrows this fall/winter. Might alternate with flat twist styles. I just want retention during the cold months. Are you ladies getting trims at all? I've snipped here and there if the ends of my twists were wonky or had ssk's.

I haven't done any trims since I bc'd. I'm like you. I just do a search and destroy on ssk or splits.:look: I'm thinking about going back to my beloved Senegalese Twists for the winter.

Sooooo I was blowing my hair out tonight in preparation for some mini twists right? Well 1/4 of the way through I decided that I would flat iron it. The hair gods had some other plans for my hair because as soon as that though crossed my mind, I dropped my blow dryer and it pulled the light fixture out of the socket in the bathroom (the outlet was connected to the top of the fixture. I'll take that as a sign to hold off on the flat ironing. :look:

I want some baby curl twists.

Hi everyone,

I finally figured to join in on this thread. I kinda usually sit in the back row watching everything go on, but now is the time I'm going to need as much help and reassurance with my hair as possible.
  • When you BCd: I BC on August 12, 2010
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 4 mos post relaxer and just had the urge to do it.
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness: This is where I will need the most help. I believe that I am a 4b with 4a scattered around in there. We will see as we progress. My crown area curls clump together more than the hair around my nap area, but I figure this is normal. Also, my nap area hair is more soft and cottony. I say I have stretched about 2 1/2" on the top and maybe 2" along the sides with not so horrible shrinkage.
  • Your current regimen: So far, I have no regimen. I'm still working on what my hair likes and dislikes. I co-wash, everyday to every other day with either Aussie Moist or HE Hello Hydration. Leave-in with Kimmay's concoction or HE LTR and then seal with jojoba oil. I try to clarify and DC once a week. This is all subject to change.
  • Your favorite styles : Right now a TWA is all I got. I'm thinking when my hair grows out a little more I will go back to PS-ing it more.
  • Your current length and goal length: I have a TWA right now. My goal length is BSL or MBL. I like just enough hair...not too long, not too short.
  • Your photo album, if any: I have a few photos in my profile and will add more when I'm not lazy.
I'm looking forward to having a great Hair Journey and sharing it with you ladies. :yawn:

Back