~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Hello Ladies! I joined LHCF towards the end of last year. I was about two months post relaxer around November and still gluing weaves to my hair and scalp :nono: I wore braids in december and after taking them out, my hair was in poor condition; relaxed ends, new growth at the root, uneven, and dry :wallbash: :wallbash: I washed my hair one night in January and after being inspired by the women on LHCF I decided to cut my hair off to an inch all over. I had a twa and a new outlook on my hair :yep: :yep: It was at that moment that I decided to embark on a hair journey to grow my hair. Now in August, my hair is neck length and my short term goal is shoulder length and my long term goal is arm pit length and in 2012 I would like to be midback length. Right now, its hard and I get tempted to perm my hair and do this and that to it in an effort for a quick style. It is harder for me to style my hair because I don't want to do anything to it that will hurt it. Its so serious that I refuse to go back to the girl who sews in my weaves because I feel like she has not and will not help me to grow my hair. I wear sew in weaves as a protective style and my hair thrives underneath them. Being inspired by so many women on youtube, I am currently learning how to do it on my own. I've tried before and didnt do too well but I refuse to give up! I lost over twenty pounds and I just realize the importance of taking care of me.

Hey ladies :)

Just got done with another day of unpacking. I'm officially moved back into the nest! :grin: I'm exhausted, but I snapped a few pics. Photobucket seems to hate me tonight so I'm attaching them.. Hope they aren't too big :(

Attachments

• IMG00190-20100809-2354.jpg
    IMG00190-20100809-2354.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG00189-20100809-2354.jpg
    IMG00189-20100809-2354.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG00188-20100809-2354.jpg
    IMG00188-20100809-2354.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG00191-20100809-2354.jpg
    IMG00191-20100809-2354.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 40
Hey ladies :)

Just got done with another day of unpacking. I'm officially moved back into the nest! :grin: I'm exhausted, but I snapped a few pics. Photobucket seems to hate me tonight so I'm attaching them.. Hope they aren't too big :(

I love it! Thick and beautiful.

I'll be 1 year post relaxer next month (I don't know the exact date; I didn't write down the date of my 9/09 hair appt. in my calendar).

I'm not going to measure my hair or post any pictures until December at the conclusion on the HYH challenge.

I can say that my hair is definitely longer now in August than it was when I BC'ed in May :happydance:

When you BC'd - 7/21/10

Your hair type/characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down) - Strands are thin but there's a lot there - curls are small - shrinkage....Not too sure yet, wearing a weave due to initial length/texture shock after BC'ing LOL - growth pattern seems to be straight out and up

Your current regimen: TBD - Only had my hair for 4 days before I got the weave put in but I can't wait to figure out what works for my hair :)

Your favorite styles: Will be working on teaching myself twists, and cornrows, better bantu's and shingling :)

Your current length and goal length: About 4 inches. I'm hoping to reach APL or BSL with healthy happy hair

Your photo album, if any: Fotki Link Below :)

Hello Ladies! I joined LHCF towards the end of last year. I was about two months post relaxer around November and still gluing weaves to my hair and scalp :nono: I wore braids in december and after taking them out, my hair was in poor condition; relaxed ends, new growth at the root, uneven, and dry :wallbash: :wallbash: I washed my hair one night in January and after being inspired by the women on LHCF I decided to cut my hair off to an inch all over. I had a twa and a new outlook on my hair :yep: :yep: It was at that moment that I decided to embark on a hair journey to grow my hair. Now in August, my hair is neck length and my short term goal is shoulder length and my long term goal is arm pit length and in 2012 I would like to be midback length. Right now, its hard and I get tempted to perm my hair and do this and that to it in an effort for a quick style. It is harder for me to style my hair because I don't want to do anything to it that will hurt it. Its so serious that I refuse to go back to the girl who sews in my weaves because I feel like she has not and will not help me to grow my hair. I wear sew in weaves as a protective style and my hair thrives underneath them. Being inspired by so many women on youtube, I am currently learning how to do it on my own. I've tried before and didnt do too well but I refuse to give up! I lost over twenty pounds and I just realize the importance of taking care of me.
Welcome! Congrats on your weight loss and healthy hair journey! Good luck on learning how to self-install - the idea sounds so daunting to me but based on what I've seen on lhcf, it's definitely acheivable and it's worth it!

I'll be 1 year post relaxer next month (I don't know the exact date; I didn't write down the date of my 9/09 hair appt. in my calendar).

I'm not going to measure my hair or post any pictures until December at the conclusion on the HYH challenge.

I can say that my hair is definitely longer now in August than it was when I BC'ed in May :happydance:
Congrats!

I'm 2 months natural today! :yay: :woohoo:
:woot:

When you BC'd - 7/21/10

Your hair type/characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down) - Strands are thin but there's a lot there - curls are small - shrinkage....Not too sure yet, wearing a weave due to initial length/texture shock after BC'ing LOL - growth pattern seems to be straight out and up

Your current regimen: TBD - Only had my hair for 4 days before I got the weave put in but I can't wait to figure out what works for my hair :)

Your favorite styles: Will be working on teaching myself twists, and cornrows, better bantu's and shingling :)

Your current length and goal length: About 4 inches. I'm hoping to reach APL or BSL with healthy happy hair

Your photo album, if any: Fotki Link Below :)
Welcome! Your hair is beautiful!:yep:

:ohwell:

So I tried diffusing my hair.

You can tell the different textures reacted differently. The top sort of rised up, got very fluffy and my curls seemed bigger/looser.
The bottom and back just sort of looked the same when they do wet, hanging in tight spirals. It really missmatched.
And sigh, that shape.
Foto-AHHBO3XZ-D.jpg

I guess it looks alright in the pic, but seriously, IRL it was all lopsided.

Now the front up close just looked bad. All fluff and frizzy stretched out waviness.
Foto-AVX3JSFN-D.jpg

I might try again when my hair is longer and the shape won't matter too much? Or when I actually want my hair to look frizzy. :rolleyes:

I used very low heat, so no harm done. I cowashed afterwards and it looked fine. I just wish I could do something when I want my hair to look a little nicer than usual.

Grand Prix you know that I love your hair!! I don't know what to say about the shape because i've given up on trying a wash and go until my hair is much much MUCH longer than it is right now, for that very same reason.

Hopefully by March I'll have 4 more inches of growth, which could possibly translate into a cuter "out" style.

But your hair looks very "nice" in the pictures, and I don't think you'd have to do anything else to make it look "nicer", it's gorgeous.

My truck was in the shop over the weekend for routine maintenance so my company put me in a hotel. I tried to take some length shots but my web cam wouldn't cooperate.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I took some pics but it's really hard to see my true length because of the shrinkage.:ohwell: I'll guess I'll try again if I get home this weekend. The front stretches to my nose, the sides are chin/neck length/grazing shoulder (uneven lengths) and my nape falls at the shoulder. I would love to try to make APL next year. Excuse the crazy look on my face.

Attachments

• 2010-08-08 23-50-34.338.jpg
    2010-08-08 23-50-34.338.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2010-08-09 00-02-49.529.jpg
    2010-08-09 00-02-49.529.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 2010-08-09 00-13-24.536.jpg
    2010-08-09 00-13-24.536.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40
Random- I can comfortably do low puffs now :grin:
I'm a slow grower so I'm trying not to do length checks so often. I know my hair is growing bc my puff is growing. I can't wait to get a nice size ponytail

Getting ready to start my twists....had to pop in for a quick product RAVE!

OK, so I finally tried Kimmaytube's leave in concoction, and OMG ladies this stuff MELTS my tangles!!! I put it on last night on wet hair and did some medium sized twists to prepare for my kinky twists. As my hair starts to dry it gets really tangled (especially in the back). I took sections of hair and smoothed the leave in from root to tip several times and the tangles melted away. I LITERALLY had mouth wide open syndrome. Today my hair is moisturized, shiny, and soft :love:.

*** For my mix I substituted Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner for Knot today(has many of the same ingredients as Giovanni direct leave in but is thicker and has the same ph as knot today). I can't be spending knot today kind of money :rofl:

2 tablespoons Giovanni
2 tablespoons whole leaf aloe vera juice
2 teaspoons castor oil
2 teaspoons jojoba oil
Mix very well

Try it!!

my hair grows so weird. the front stretches halfway down my forehead. the top of my head is just flourishing. the back of my head is growing so freakin slow. and my kitchen area is halfway down my neck!

I got the eonhair. The packs look really small. They said on the website 2 packs should be enough. I'll have to make my sections bigger than normal. I'll probably put the twists in in the next couple of days

6 MONTHS POST CHOP

I'm 6 months post chop today. I believe my hair is between 2 1/2 to 3 inches...I stopped measuring because "a watched pot never boils". I've been doing my "wash and puffs" and will continue to do so until I get some twists or braids...I need a protective style asap! I've stopped buying things and I'm using what I have on hand until Qhemet has her black friday sale in November. :spinning: I'm starting to find some splits in my hair...not happy about this...Other than that, everything is cool.

Here's a before and after:
1st pic is day one (Feb 11, 2010)
2nd pic is 6 months post chop (August 11, 2010)

Attachments

• Comparison (Day One).jpg
    Comparison (Day One).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • 6 Months post Chop (side).jpg
    6 Months post Chop (side).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Congratulations to the newbies, and to those who are reaching milestones! Loving the pictures ladies :yep:

I can't believe I've been natural for almost 2 months, it feels like it's been less than a month - still loving it!

I still haven't posted pictures! Unbelievable! This weekend, I'll take and post many pictures :yep:

So... I've been wearing a puff all week, at night, I put my hair in 2 cornrows, morning I take them out, moisturise lightly comb then back into a puff. Yesterday someone at work told me I looked "great" and I got compliments from a friend the day before :grin:

Yesterday I DC'd dry hair for a couple of hours, cowashed. Applied my leave in and detangled in sections then braided each section. I think I ended up with 8-10 braids. This morning, I took them down (90% dry), moisturised (didn't detangle) and my hair's back in a puff :grin: Hmmmm... I'm at work now but there's no harm in taking a picture now and posting at the weekend :)

My hair will be back in twists this weekend...

Re: 6 MONTHS POST CHOP

I'm 6 months post chop today. I believe my hair is between 2 1/2 to 3 inches...I stopped measuring because "a watched pot never boils". I've been doing my "wash and puffs" and will continue to do so until I get some twists or braids...I need a protective style asap! I've stopped buying things and I'm using what I have on hand until Qhemet has her black friday sale in November. :spinning: I'm starting to find some splits in my hair...not happy about this...Other than that, everything is cool.

Here's a before and after:
1st pic is day on (Feb 11, 2010)
2nd pic is 6 months post chop (August 11, 2010)

puffs do not equal retention for me. I get the best growth/retention from little finger twists with a good amt of conditioner and JUICE.

I got the eonhair. The packs look really small. They said on the website 2 packs should be enough. I'll have to make my sections bigger than normal. I'll probably put the twists in in the next couple of days

I'm using equal brand Marley braid and should use about 4-5 packs.

The tangle teezer. I'm really intrigued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpG1esRtrtc

Dang you Foxglove!!:naughty: You always come up with the greatest vids. So you know I had to get me one of those tangle teasers. I'll let you all know how it works out when I get it.
And I know you've seen this pic already Fox, but I wanted to share it with everyone else. So I finally wore my hair out comfortably with no head bands or other hair accessories. I even got an compliment from my mom who is not a big fan of natural hair. You think she might be coming around?:scratchch This is just my usual routine of the curl activator an ecostyler gel. This works well for me so I just stick with it. I am really loving my hair.
Aug102010014-vi.jpg

I'm using equal brand Marley braid and should use about 4-5 packs.

I took one of the coils and stretched it. It expands a LOT. It looks and feels different than marley hair. I do like that you don't have to do anything to the ends bc for the life of me even when I dunk kinky twist hair in boiling water it never comes out like the salon

Dang you Foxglove!!:naughty: You always come up with the greatest vids. So you know I had to get me one of those tangle teasers. I'll let you all know how it works out when I get it.
And I know you've seen this pic already Fox, but I wanted to share it with everyone else. So I finally wore my hair out comfortably with no head bands or other hair accessories. I even got an compliment from my mom who is not a big fan of natural hair. You think she might be coming around?:scratchch This is just my usual routine of the curl activator an ecostyler gel. This works well for me so I just stick with it. I am really loving my hair.
Aug102010014-vi.jpg

I have to share the vids. I can't be the guinea pig :lol:
I'll probably get a tangle teaser in the next few months though
And I'll say it again your wash and go looks great!

My hair this week...

Tuesday:

Wednesday (sorry there's loo roll in the picture, I took this picture at work... talk about dedication ;) ):

Today (is it ok for me to say I love my hair cos I do!!! :look: :yay:) :

Gorgeous hair MummysGirl!

I am still loving my natural hair! I will be two weeks natural on Saturday!!! I'm still trying to figure out what my natural hair likes. I think I'm going to try more natural products.

Re: 6 MONTHS POST CHOP

puffs do not equal retention for me. I get the best growth/retention from little finger twists with a good amt of conditioner and JUICE.

So far so good with the puffs. I can't keep a protective style with my natural hair for longer than a week. I love playing in my hair too much. But if I get some micros or senegalese twists, I will keep them in forever...especially if I have to pay 100 bucks for em, lol.

Grand Prix you know that I love your hair!! I don't know what to say about the shape because i've given up on trying a wash and go until my hair is much much MUCH longer than it is right now, for that very same reason.

Hopefully by March I'll have 4 more inches of growth, which could possibly translate into a cuter "out" style.

But your hair looks very "nice" in the pictures, and I don't think you'd have to do anything else to make it look "nicer", it's gorgeous.

Thank you so much cch!
I'm still mad at you for not posting pics of your WnG though. :lol:

As for the shape, when it's airdrying you can scrunch and stretch your hair in certain places to make it look better.
Who knows when you'll have short hair again, might as well enjoy it for a little bit.
...:poke:

StephElise, you look so pretty with your hair out like that!

MG, seriously, your texture.. :drool:

Hello fellow newbies! Just wanted to share my most recent month of progress with you guys. I am constantly amazed that my hair actually grows- some of you may take this for granted but for years mine never did.

Anyway, before the tears start, take a look at my growth over the last month:

July 15, 2010
EH15inchesGrowth6wkspostBC.jpg
[/IMG]

August 12, 2010
NapeLC.jpg
[/IMG]

Happy growing ladies!

Lovely pics, ladies. I twisted my hair last night/this morning. the same style I had a while back. flat twists on the sides and the rest individually twisted. I washed with EQP Creme Conditioning Poo and then conditioned with AOHSR. I'm wondering if I should have clarified. My hair felt kinda like straw when I was trying to twist :ohwell:

Or maybe it was drying too fast from sitting in front of the fan? :look:

Couple progress pics (sorry the mac cam is a lil dark):
March
m7eyyf.jpg

Now
160oq3a.jpg

Last edited:
Back