~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Well I washed, blow dried and did a light press. I talked about scab ends before and I do think I'm a believer. I just came from the salon and my stylist cut all those ends off, the difference in the look and feel is like woah. It didn't take much effort to get the length of my hair straight, wasn't going for bone straight or a hard press, but the ends just felt hard and rough. Now that she cut my ends it feels soft all over. I did a test patch a couple weeks ago myself just to make sure and after many washes later and the blow dry a couple days ago, the ends weren't as hard or rough feeling as the rest. My hair is shorter, it was really uneven but I don't care. I just wanted to "get right" before I started really growing it out. So anyway here's the pics. The very first picture is my hair before I got my ends cut the rest are from today

How long did you wait before you got a haircut? I think I have some scab hair along in certain areas of my hair but I'm only about 2 inches long so I want to wait a while before I get a trim.

I guess I'm the only one that still wears a puff everyday.:ohwell: I would like to try twists one day but I have a hectic schedule. I'll have to try to make time for it when I'm off. I don't have any major problems with SSKs or splits. I started banding my hair at night so I helps prevent some of the shrinkage.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one that still wears a puff everyday.:ohwell: I would like to try twists one day but I have a hectic schedule. I'll have to try to make time for it when I'm off. I don't have any major problems with SSKs or splits. I started banding my hair at night so I helps prevent some of the shrinkage.

Naw, you're not :look:, I do too. I tried to twist my hair, but they just came loose, n wouldn't hold. I think I need more length.

The above picture is exactly how my hair is. When I blow dried it, the ends were so hard and rough. I wonder if I should trim as well....probably not though because I hate to loose any length. :look:
Oh yeah def trim when you're ready. I will trim or cut in a minute though, lol

Not just you! My twists still look janky

Well I washed, blow dried and did a light press. I talked about scab ends before and I do think I'm a believer. I just came from the salon and my stylist cut all those ends off, the difference in the look and feel is like woah. It didn't take much effort to get the length of my hair straight, wasn't going for bone straight or a hard press, but the ends just felt hard and rough. Now that she cut my ends it feels soft all over. I did a test patch a couple weeks ago myself just to make sure and after many washes later and the blow dry a couple days ago, the ends weren't as hard or rough feeling as the rest. My hair is shorter, it was really uneven but I don't care. I just wanted to "get right" before I started really growing it out. So anyway here's the pics. The very first picture is my hair before I got my ends cut the rest are from today

newhair007.jpg

newhair020.jpg

newhair021.jpg

newhair022.jpg

newhair023.jpg

What a big difference! I see how it looks more healthy now. I'm gonna blow dry in August and see if I have some scab hair as well. I can't really tell right now.

The above picture is exactly how my hair is. When I blow dried it, the ends were so hard and rough. I wonder if I should trim as well....probably not though because I hate to loose any length. :look:

Dont trim just yet. Try clarify and make sure you moisturize your ends and seal right after. Try paying more attention to the ends when you moisturize.

I came home today. My mom keeps staring at my hair when my back is turned. She hasn't said anything yet. Stay tuned...

Pookaloo :wavey: - I loved that puff that you were rocking in your avi recently!:yep:

I think this is key. It takes a while for us to acclimate to how new hairstyles complement our faces.

Hi all, sorry I haven't been on much lately. My hair passed the pool test this week! My coworker wanted to get a few people together for a bbq and possibly swimming after work yesterday. I ran home to take the phony pony off and rinse the gel off and put my hair in a puff. My puff made it through the swim but there was soooo much shrinkage afterwards. It shrunk to like 2 inches. The pictures still looked cute though. I'll post them once I get a hold of them
In other news the phony pony isn't making it through the week. My scalp starts wanting a washing around tuesday/wednesday so I'll cowash once then and once on the weekend
How are your edges doing with your being pulled back everyday? I have to be remain vigilant with not stressing my temples/edges too much but I know some ladies' edges are more resilient.

_________
Wore my hair in a low bun the other day
000_0258-vi.jpg

Rolled the hair going into the bun on the side
000_0260-th.jpg

Undid the twists into a twist out yesterday
000_0272-vi.jpg

Kept the flat twists in the front
000_0275-vi.jpg

Going to redo my hair tomorrow. :scratchch Trying to decide how to style it. Maybe flat twists around the perimeter of my hair leading to loose twists in the center, which can then be worn in a large bun...

Last edited:
How are your edges doing with your being pulled back everyday? I have to be remain vigilant with not stressing my temples/edges too much but I know some ladies' edges are more resilient.

Sometimes as it dries my hair shrinks and this makes the puff tighten so I'll normally loosen it during the day. I also take it down when I get home and tie it back up in the morning before spritzing and fluffing

In other news I was waiting for my mom's reaction and got it. It was part 2 of a 2 part lecture. She said that as part of our culture image is very important and hair is a big part of that. She said if she took me back to Nigeria not even farmers or villagers would have their hair like mine. She said my hair doesn't represent me and nobody back home would believe I was a doctor if they saw me and even if I don't relax it I should go buy some ponytails (sleek ones) or half wigs and put it up so it can look neat. I was already not feeling awesome after part 1 of the lecture so now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I just don't know how to deal with it right now. Oh and ps the only styles of mine she has seen are the phony pony or my regular puff (right now I'm in my regular puff)

Last edited:
Sometimes as it dries my hair shrinks and this makes the puff tighten so I'll normally loosen it during the day. I also take it down when I get home and tie it back up in the morning before spritzing and fluffing
Cool, I think wearing the puff at different positions also helps.

In other news I was waiting for my mom's reaction and got it. It was part 2 of a 2 part lecture. She said that as part of our culture image is very important and hair is a big part of that. She said if she took me back to Nigeria not even farmers or villagers would have their hair like mine. She said my hair doesn't represent me and nobody back home would believe I was a doctor if they saw me and even if I don't relax it I should go buy some ponytails (sleek ones) or half wigs and put it up so it can look neat. I was already not feeling awesome after part 1 of the lecture so now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I just don't know how to deal with it right now. Oh and ps the only styles of mine she has seen are the phony pony or my regular puff (right now I'm in my regular puff)
Really don't know what to say. The times are-a-changing. As you've seen, most, if not all, of the black female doctors (and many other professionals) wear their hair natural. And I know many young naija women (my uncle through marriage is naija) who have embraced that natural look.

Does she realize that you're not being a crazy rebel and that this natural is a sustained trend, esp among educated, professional black women of various backgrounds? Or is it a "I don't care about those other people, it's not good enough for my daughter" types of deals?

At what point do the styling habits farmers and villagers stop mattering? So at what point does the fact that you've earned your med degree and the fact you're a practicing doctor outweigh the incredulity of folks back home? At what point does it count that many professional black women of respectable, traditional backgrounds are also wearing their natural hair?

I understand the your mother wants the best for you and that a certain amount of fealty is expected from you but :ohwell: Is it acceptable for you to respond to her lecture with your own thoughts? If not, I suppose that grinning and bearing it and compartmentalizing that aspect of her view on things will have to do.

Ms.Christ3n, I love your growth! What type of light protein conditioner are you using? I am in need of a good one and I have also been very lazy with cowashing lately. Last week I only washed once and when detangling I had KNOTS ( I'm never neglecting my hair again)! I am going to start cowashing every other day because I think everyday might have been to much for me.

I just use eggs, mayo, shea butter, sweet almond oil, and honey as deep conditioning treatments. Works well for me!

Ok God has an awesome sense of humor. We met my brother's girlfriend for the first time today and after hugging her the first thing she says is she heard about my hair and she thought it looked awesome. She asked to touch it and loved how soft it was(all in front of my mom). She told me she had transitioned and recently BC'ed and was really nervous so she put it in braids. I gave her some websites and answered some questions she had. I hope that showed my mom somebody thinks I look nice

Ok God has an awesome sense of humor. We met my brother's girlfriend for the first time today and after hugging her the first thing she says is she heard about my hair and she thought it looked awesome. She asked to touch it and loved how soft it was(all in front of my mom). She told me she had transitioned and recently BC'ed and was really nervous so she put it in braids. I gave her some websites and answered some questions she had. I hope that showed my mom somebody thinks I look nice

I'm sure your hair looked very nice. It's a funny thing about mother's isn't it? Even as as accomplished women we want their approval. My mother has not vocalized her dislike for my hair but I know she does not approve. My mother has always been very complimentary and supportive of me, very proud of everything I do. So I'm not accustomed to this feeling of disapproval from her. I think it builds something up in you to move forward without support, it strengthens you.

Little by little I care less and less about her opinion on the matter of my hair. I am grateful for the support I have in other areas as I know some women have mean-spirited, hateful mothers. I consider myself lucky. And so if she doesn't like my hair, so what, life goes on. I refuse to let her lack of
understanding ruin something that makes me feel so good about myself.

Tried another wash and go this week. It turned out nice. I'm on Day 4 with it so it is holding up pretty well.

DSCN0213-vi.jpg

loveditsomuch-vi.jpg

DSCN0262-vi.jpg

DSCN0275-vi.jpg

More pics in my fotki.

I'm going on two years natural as of August 14, 2010. I didn't transition...I think I was only four weeks post-relaxer lol. I am transitioning again because I completely scorched my hair over the winter. I think it's time to just cut it off, because I know keeping it is pointless. I'm so mad at myself. At the 1-year mark, I really started to hit my stride and my natural hair looked and felt beautiful. Now it's just a deep-fried mess.

I'm going on two years natural as of August 14, 2010. I didn't transition...I think I was only four weeks post-relaxer lol. I am transitioning again because I completely scorched my hair over the winter. I think it's time to just cut it off, because I know keeping it is pointless. I'm so mad at myself. At the 1-year mark, I really started to hit my stride and my natural hair looked and felt beautiful. Now it's just a deep-fried mess.

:welcome4: to LHCF, Honourable. I'm sorry to read about the condition of your hair. :bighug:

I'm starting to have some shedding now. I don't know if it's coming from the products I'm using or my normal shedding phase. (I was in braids and twists for the last 2 summers and before that, I wasn't a member of LHCF so didn't really pay attention to this type of thing).:ohwell: I'm going to stop by Walmart today and buy some galic powder so I can add some to my conditioner.

I wasn't planning on using heat anytime soon but I may try a blow out when I go home next weekend.:look:

I'm starting to get a little style frustrated. I feel like my shrinkage is keeping me from a lot of styles. This morning I woke up and was going to do a french roll but thanks to the shrinkage it looked like a joke so I rinsed and started again. I tried to go for flat twists or cornrows in the front but my flat twist skills suck so I ended up putting in the phony pony for church. I'll try twists to stretch out my hair tonight so I can attempt the french roll again tomorrow
Maybe I can spend the next couple of weeks working on my twist and flat twist skills

(((hugs))) and welcome. Once you bc again you will have a great new start. Stay positive, most of us have had setbacks. We are here to support you.

I'm starting to have some shedding now. I don't know if it's coming from the products I'm using or my normal shedding phase. (I was in braids and twists for the last 2 summers and before that, I wasn't a member of LHCF so didn't really pay attention to this type of thing).:ohwell: I'm going to stop by Walmart today and buy some galic powder so I can add some to my conditioner.

I wasn't planning on using heat anytime soon but I may try a blow out when I go home next weekend.:look:

You have been wearing your hair out a lot, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've found that after a period of my hair being out, I have to twist or braid it for awhile so that it can rest.

I'm starting to get a little style frustrated. I feel like my shrinkage is keeping me from a lot of styles. This morning I woke up and was going to do a french roll but thanks to the shrinkage it looked like a joke so I rinsed and started again. I tried to go for flat twists or cornrows in the front but my flat twist skills suck so I ended up putting in the phony pony for church. I'll try twists to stretch out my hair tonight so I can attempt the french roll again tomorrow
Maybe I can spend the next couple of weeks working on my twist and flat twist skills

I have had many days like the one you described above, especially during my first two trys at being natural. We just have to be patient as we learn our hair and try to master new skills. Sometimes it can be very frustrating, even stressful. Thank goodness we have each other for support.

I've decided to push my wash and go experiment back until the spring. I've been spending all of my time lately looking at bun accessories and not researching wash and go methods/ products, so I think that's my mind telling me I should keep bunning for a while.

Hey ladies! I finally bc'ed after transitioning for 7months! Havent really had the time to enjoy it or take pics because I got a sew-in right afterwards for an event I was a part of. Cant wait to take it down and finally enjoy MY hair for a while. Thinking of getting some braids next as a PS. Oh also, 2 of my youngers sisters AND my mom bc'd within the past 2 months so we're all learning together! SO EXCITED to start this journey!!!

Hey ladies! I finally bc'ed after transitioning for 7months! Havent really had the time to enjoy it or take pics because I got a sew-in right afterwards for an event I was a part of. Cant wait to take it down and finally enjoy MY hair for a while. Thinking of getting some braids next as a PS. Oh also, 2 of my youngers sisters AND my mom bc'd within the past 2 months so we're all learning together! SO EXCITED to start this journey!!!

Congratulations on your BC!:clapping: Also, I think it's great that your mother and sisters have come to the natural side as well!:circle:

I tried my Miss Jessie's curly pudding sample again now that I'm more used to this hair and I really hate it. It's the worst of all the gels I've bought. It doesn't really feel like a gel, more like razac's perfect for perm and it actually makes my hair less coily and springy than if I let it air dry with no products. On the plus side, at least I won't have to buy a $50 tub of this stuff.

lawd i am really loving HE LTR Leave-in. as soon as i put it on my hair, its so silky and detangles easily. smells great too. anyway, i put in some braids after washing today. i hope i can get a cute braidout tomorrow, cuz i want to wear a big fro. luckily the place i work at is very laid back, and since it seems my boss is used to natural hair, i am having fun experimenting in wearing my hair how i like. all the customers compliment my hair too, so i don't feel like i'm being too out there for work. ♥

Did my hair yesterday. I shampooed, dc'd with aohsr and dabur vatika (I'd almost forgotten that I had this until stephelise mentioned it upthread) and got to twisting.

Still honing my flat twisting skills and looking slightly ham-ish in the process.:look: I wanted to do swirling flats twist leading up to loose twists at the crown of my head but I wasn't ready to flat twist upside down. :lol:

Instead, I started doing flat twists with an abstract style in mind and ended up with something different:spinning:. I set my hair in curlformers last night.
000_0312-vi.jpg

000_0314-vi.jpg

000_0307-vi.jpg

:ohwell: I did these by feel but I definitely need to be looking in a mirror as I flat twist. I miss having a three-way mirror. I'm definitely going to incorporate a multi-view mirror into my vanity whenever I get around to that project. In the meantime, I'm just gonna improvise a better mirror setup and keep practicing. Hopefully I'll have mastered flat twists by the end of the summer.

I've decided to push my wash and go experiment back until the spring. I've been spending all of my time lately looking at bun accessories and not researching wash and go methods/ products, so I think that's my mind telling me I should keep bunning for a while.
I'd love to see your accessory picks!:yep: I need to get more hair sticks and such.

My steamer arrived today but I can't even put it together because I don't have the proper tool necessary to take off that blasted nut on the base :cry2:.

Back