~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I do not have much to add except I am getting a little bored with TWA phase, I love all my accessories and just W-n-G's but I am ready to be able to wear a mini ponytail/puff.

Wow is everybody rocking some twists right now? I know I have mine in some but I plan to take them down this weekend. I love how low manni they are. Who else is rocking twists right now??

Twist roll call:

Stephelise
Mummysgirl
VainJane
Loves Harmony
I am too! Flat twists in the front with small-medium sized twists. I've had these in since Friday. I'm about to take out my curlformers.

I also love how low mani and how well they retain moisture. I'll try to make to make them last through the weekend and then I'll do another style involving twists.

I've been doing an honest self-assessment of my hair habits. Obviously, I am not going back up under a wig. I enjoy feeling the air on my scalp and wearing my own hair too much. I think I'm going to put myself on my own protective style challenge - try to maintain PSs for at least a week and only wear non-PSs a max of 5 days/month.

I tried Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish and I love it! My hair is so soft and I love the scent. It reminds me of going back to Grandma's house in South GA in the summer and enjoying the honeysuckles (scent and taste).:lick::yep: Will purchase again.

Welcome to the AOHR party!!! :dance7: This has been my staple DC since I began transitioning. I love mixing it with coco oil, olive oil, castor oil, honey, or trader joe's nourish spa to get more bang for my buck.

I do not have much to add except I am getting a little bored with TWA phase, I love all my accessories and just W-n-G's but I am ready to be able to wear a mini ponytail/puff.

You will be out of the twa phase before you know it! The first time I went natural I could not wait to where a puff, then when I could and I had hair that took me hours to twist, I sometimes longed for the ease of the twa lol. Enjoy the twa phase, because it won't last long!

i have been using a mixture of tea tree oil (no one told me that crap stinks to high heaven!!!), and jbco in a color applicator bottle and applying it to my scalp, leaving it for about an hour then co washing. the tree oil tingles and feels real nice.

i also bought a new oil mix from curl mart. i wanted this because i wanted something with coconut oil that didnt turn into solid form cuz thats too much for my hair. makes it real soft.

Ingredients: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, and Japanese Camellia Japonica Oil infused with Organic Hibiscus Flowers.

t_1048.jpg

http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=1048&cat=0&page=1

i have been using a mixture of tea tree oil (no one told me that crap stinks to high heaven!!!), and jbco in a color applicator bottle and applying it to my scalp, leaving it for about an hour then co washing. the tree oil tingles and feels real nice.

i also bought a new oil mix from curl mart. i wanted this because i wanted something with coconut oil that didnt turn into solid form cuz thats too much for my hair. makes it real soft.

http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=1048&cat=0&page=1

If you want a coconut oil that is 'liquidy', you can also consider using Vatika Coconut Hair Oil. In fact, I think I'll go pick some up myself. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I've heard some good things about it.
Dabur-Vatika-Coconut-Oil.jpg

Dabur Vatika Coconut Hair Oil

Vatika provides natural nourishment to your hair. Giving it body and radiance, taking care of the critical balance of nutrients.

Vatika Hair Oil is a delicate mix of pure coconut oil with special hair care herbs including henna, amla and lemon. Blended together to strengthen each strand of hair from within, making you look really gorgeous. Vatika's unique natural formulation ensures deeper oil penetration to give your hair and scalp complete nourishment for problem free, healthy hair.

I just finished cowashing and I had a random newly natural thought. I'm so glad that I had a good transitioning regimen that has continued to work for my hair now that I am natural. I know that some people would say that my regimen wouldn't work for them, but it works for me, and I love that. I've been natural for almost 4 months and I haven't bought any products except to buy my staples when I run out. I know that I will have to try out new products for my wash and go's, but to be quite honest I'll probably try it once or twice, and then go back to bunning. I'm more interested in buying new hair toys for my ever growing buns. Loving the protective style you use is very important, in my opinion.

I hope everyone else is doing well in their natural journey!!

hey steph!

yea long ago i ordered dabur coconut oil from one of those indian sites where i was gettin my amla oil. it solidified on me!! perhaps it was a different kind i got or something. i dont think if it was ever liquid to begin with, cuz it was winter and i remember it being solid from the UPS man leavin my package outside in the cold :lachen:

If you want a coconut oil that is 'liquidy', you can also consider using Vatika Coconut Hair Oil. In fact, I think I'll go pick some up myself. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I've heard some good things about it.
Dabur-Vatika-Coconut-Oil.jpg

Dabur Vatika Coconut Hair Oil

Vatika provides natural nourishment to your hair. Giving it body and radiance, taking care of the critical balance of nutrients.

Vatika Hair Oil is a delicate mix of pure coconut oil with special hair care herbs including henna, amla and lemon. Blended together to strengthen each strand of hair from within, making you look really gorgeous. Vatika's unique natural formulation ensures deeper oil penetration to give your hair and scalp complete nourishment for problem free, healthy hair.

Same here... I haven't purchased one new (different) product and my regimen hasn't changed and hopefully it'll stay the same. I'm really pleased about that.

I just finished cowashing and I had a random newly natural thought. I'm so glad that I had a good transitioning regimen that has continued to work for my hair now that I am natural. I know that some people would say that my regimen wouldn't work for them, but it works for me, and I love that. I've been natural for almost 4 months and I haven't bought any products except to buy my staples when I run out. I know that I will have to try out new products for my wash and go's, but to be quite honest I'll probably try it once or twice, and then go back to bunning. I'm more interested in buying new hair toys for my ever growing buns. Loving the protective style you use is very important, in my opinion.

I tried Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish and I love it! My hair is so soft and I love the scent. It reminds me of going back to Grandma's house in South GA in the summer and enjoying the honeysuckles (scent and taste).:lick::yep: Will purchase again.

Me too! I was running low on Aubrey's White Camellia conditioner, so I after reading all this good stuff about the Honeysuckle I ended up buying one last Saturday. I tried it on Sunday and wow, love love love it. Left my hair softer than the White Camellia. I just can't wait to finish it up so I can start on the Honeysuckle.

@StephElise, I bought Vatika oil from my Indian grocer and it does solidify in cold weather if that's your only reason for getting it.

You ladies make me self aware with my lazy style-challengedness (yeah I made up a word:look:). I don't even wear a puff these days. I just cowash every other day and leave it be as a fro. I don't think my twists look acceptable to wear out and I can't flat twist such short hair. I don't bother with twistouts because my hair ends up looking the same as it would if I just left it alone :ohwell: The only thing I could do is a dry twistout but I didn't really care for the end result, maybe I'll try that again.

my hair is driving me nuts! its just so awkward. its very thick and dense and i dont think i have a cute twa anymore......

my hair is driving me nuts! its just so awkward. its very thick and dense and i dont think i have a cute twa anymore......

I feel your frustration! My hair is not the cute little TWA it used to be, yet I still can't do much with it! My twists are not suitable for public. Flat twists are okay, but I still don't have the length of hair I want to do the kind of styles that would look good. Wearing a puff or an afro everyday is an invitation for tangles and SSKs. And straightening it wouldn't do much good cause the humidity would destroy my efforts in a matter of minutes! UGH!! :perplexed

I've decided to just wear finger coils for the next month or two. It's a low manipulation style, refreshes easily in the morning and can last for days at a time.

Hopefully by the time I decide to stop wearing them, I'll be able to do something else with my hair. :ohwell:

I'm feeling kinda of the same. I didn't transition long and now I'm 3 months natural and some areas of my hair seem to be growing faster than others. I thought about getting a trim but I keep changing my mind.

But I'm still enjoying the journey. Just bought some Oyin pommade and I'm smelling like a bakeshop right now. Oh, I've attached some pics.

I know I should enjoy my TWA but I really want to do more than just throw some KCCC and conditioner in my hair.

Attachments

• hair 007.jpg
    hair 007.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
  • hair 002.jpg
    hair 002.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 25
My WnG lasted 5 days with KCKT and KCCC. When I used Long aid curl activator, ecostyler, Miss Jessie's by day two or three it looked a mess but Kinky Curly products worked really well for me :yep:

So you kept your WnG by just using a different product?
What else do you do? I sleep with a bonnet but in the morning my hair is just all dented and sticking up all over..

@StephElise, I bought Vatika oil from my Indian grocer and it does solidify in cold weather if that's your only reason for getting it.

You ladies make me self aware with my lazy style-challengedness (yeah I made up a word:look:). I don't even wear a puff these days. I just cowash every other day and leave it be as a fro. I don't think my twists look acceptable to wear out and I can't flat twist such short hair. I don't bother with twistouts because my hair ends up looking the same as it would if I just left it alone :ohwell: The only thing I could do is a dry twistout but I didn't really care for the end result, maybe I'll try that again.

I actually thought that was really cute!! Especially the first pic where you just left it loose.

I'm feeling kinda of the same. I didn't transition long and now I'm 3 months natural and some areas of my hair seem to be growing faster than others. I thought about getting a trim but I keep changing my mind.

But I'm still enjoying the journey. Just bought some Oyin pommade and I'm smelling like a bakeshop right now. Oh, I've attached some pics.

I know I should enjoy my TWA but I really want to do more than just throw some KCCC and conditioner in my hair.

I realize you just posted that you do know you should enjoy your twa :look:, but I'd like to just encourage you a little more because looking at those pics, your hair has that pretty, coily and compact type of look and your twa really shows it off.

And about the trimming. Have you measured? It could be different textures with different types of shrinkage. I guess you already figured this yourself, but just to be sure. :drunk:

Glad to hear that regi is working for you! :yep: Here's a great thread with many hair accessory websites.

I think your twistout looked lovely! And you can always use headbands or strategically-placed hair pins or accessories to style it to your liking.

I don't know but it looks like your hair is long enough for flat twists. The thing that's nice about flat twists on short hair is that you can do in such a way to create a style that complements your hair's length and the frames your face, ie flat-twisting the front into a sort of "headband" and leavign the rest of the hair loose. Here's a tutorial on flat twisting that's adaptable to short hair.

Have you considered braiding it up and going under a wig for a while? It would thrive even more and be less frustrating than trying to style everyday during this awkward stage. Comb coils are also a good suggestion.

The curlformers that I had in overnight were too big and I didn't place them correctly - I got flips and curls instead of spirals. The style definitely isn't as fresh as it could be, since I've slept without my bonnet the past few nights :blush: but it should be okay til the weekend, as I don't have any important events. Here's how I wore my hair today:
000_0224-vi.jpg
Yes, I overexposed these photos. They were so dark, I could barely make out the twists.
000_0228-vi.jpg
I'm slowly but surely improving with my flat twists. :look: Tonight I'll use blue curlformers.

Last edited:
PYT, i'm getting so many compliments on this hairstyle! i felt so good today at work when people would tell me my hair was pretty and they liked the style. ♥

PYT, i'm getting so many compliments on this hairstyle! i felt so good today at work when people would tell me my hair was pretty and they liked the style. ♥

Girl, me too! It's from every person I encounter! This style is a keeper. I can't wait to rock the twistout...I'm holding out for Friday. Maybe next time I could attempt doing a real mohawk and flat twist the sides. Take pics! I wanna seeeee

What else do you do? I sleep with a bonnet but in the morning my hair is just all dented and sticking up all over..

I actually thought that was really cute!! Especially the first pic where you just left it loose.

I realize you just posted that you do know you should enjoy your twa , but I'd like to just encourage you a little more because looking at those pics, your hair has that pretty, coily and compact type of look and your twa really shows it off.

And about the trimming. Have you measured? It could be different textures with different types of shrinkage. I guess you already figured this yourself, but just to be sure.

I "measured" using my fingers as a ruler and there's definitely one side that's a bit shorter than the other. But I'll wait till I do any snipping until the end of the summer.

I'm newly natural as of two days ago! I finally cut out the last of my damaged/texlaxed hair.
My last relaxer was on March 4 of last year. My hair should be around 8 inches but it's closer to 6. I guess I was just too through dealing with two textures and got overzealous cutting out the last of my straight hair :spinning:

I'm so surprised at how soft my hair is! Even my un-bkt'ed roots are like cotton :love: I'm 4 a/b and when I was texlaxing my ng always felt so dry and rough. I guess that was just scab hair :ohwell:

Let me tell you, I've already changed my hair 4 times in the last two days. :lachen:
When I trimmed I did a flat twist-out. Then I picked it out and wore it in a fro. Then this morning I wore it in a puff. Now I'm wearing it in two afro puffs on the sides of my head. I know I need to stop but it's too much fun :lachen:

^^^^:welcome: Glad you're enjoying your natural hair. And I love your avi - "nappy + happy" - I hear that! I'm happy to be nappy too! :)

When I used Longaid activator gel, the next morning my hair had scrunched together and didn't look as springy and coily. But when I used KCCC my hair looked like a fresh WnG for 5 days straight and it felt soft and touchable each day. Now I spritz it with water in the morning but the first time I tried I was away from home so I didn't even spritz. I slept with a satin bonnet at night with both gels.

Last edited:
I don't know but it looks like your hair is long enough for flat twists. The thing that's nice about flat twists on short hair is that you can do in such a way to create a style that complements your hair's length and the frames your face, ie flat-twisting the front into a sort of "headband" and leavign the rest of the hair loose. Here's a tutorial on flat twisting that's adaptable to short hair.

Thanks for the tutorial and the compliment :yep:

Just want to share good results I got with a new product for twists!!

Yesterday I did twists on freshly wash/conditioned hair. This time I used Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie, and sealed with Oyin Honey/Olive. (Purchased Shea Moisture @Target). I really LOVE this Shea Moisture line, especially this curl smoothie. It left my hair really soft and has a soft coconut/island smell. I also purchased the moisturizing mist and like that as well!

Well I washed, blow dried and did a light press. I talked about scab ends before and I do think I'm a believer. I just came from the salon and my stylist cut all those ends off, the difference in the look and feel is like woah. It didn't take much effort to get the length of my hair straight, wasn't going for bone straight or a hard press, but the ends just felt hard and rough. Now that she cut my ends it feels soft all over. I did a test patch a couple weeks ago myself just to make sure and after many washes later and the blow dry a couple days ago, the ends weren't as hard or rough feeling as the rest. My hair is shorter, it was really uneven but I don't care. I just wanted to "get right" before I started really growing it out. So anyway here's the pics. The very first picture is my hair before I got my ends cut the rest are from today

newhair007.jpg

newhair020.jpg

newhair021.jpg

newhair022.jpg

newhair023.jpg

Hi all, sorry I haven't been on much lately. My hair passed the pool test this week! My coworker wanted to get a few people together for a bbq and possibly swimming after work yesterday. I ran home to take the phony pony off and rinse the gel off and put my hair in a puff. My puff made it through the swim but there was soooo much shrinkage afterwards. It shrunk to like 2 inches. The pictures still looked cute though. I'll post them once I get a hold of them
In other news the phony pony isn't making it through the week. My scalp starts wanting a washing around tuesday/wednesday so I'll cowash once then and once on the weekend

Well I washed, blow dried and did a light press. I talked about scab ends before and I do think I'm a believer. I just came from the salon and my stylist cut all those ends off, the difference in the look and feel is like woah. It didn't take much effort to get the length of my hair straight, wasn't going for bone straight or a hard press, but the ends just felt hard and rough. Now that she cut my ends it feels soft all over. I did a test patch a couple weeks ago myself just to make sure and after many washes later and the blow dry a couple days ago, the ends weren't as hard or rough feeling as the rest. My hair is shorter, it was really uneven but I don't care. I just wanted to "get right" before I started really growing it out. So anyway here's the pics. The very first picture is my hair before I got my ends cut the rest are from today

newhair007.jpg

The above picture is exactly how my hair is. When I blow dried it, the ends were so hard and rough. I wonder if I should trim as well....probably not though because I hate to loose any length. :look:

Back