~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Today a random guy approach me and said that he was so happy that i was natural and said that my hair was beautiful.

Compliments are nice

I don't know if this is too much to take on but I saw KinkyKurlyQueen's mini twist video and I want to attempt this in the next couple of weeks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_b6TEN2C_8
If I can get it down I'll try and leave them in for at least a month. I will try it on blowdried hair instead of my usual shrunken hair. I think that should make a difference in how the twists look

I think I'm at the same length as you (on my right side :lol:)

Definitely do flat twists on stretched or blowdried hair. If you do it on shrunken hair, you have to take really small sections to get a nice result :yep:
Ok guys the flat twist out was a giant fail. I reeeeally need to keep practicing

Surprisingly (not) the twistout was a fail so I picked it out
IMG_0718.jpg

The side comes down to the top of my collarbone now. I should have taken the pic at a better angle but I was trying to salvage a look for work. I won't be posting official length pics until 2 years post but I'm glad to see I'm making some progress

I think I'm at the same length as you (on my right side :lol:)

Definitely do flat twists on stretched or blowdried hair. If you do it on shrunken hair, you have to take really small sections to get a nice result :yep:

I was trying to stay away from heat but it's looking like if I want to do anything other than a wash and go I'll have to at least break out the blowdryer. I think it's afraid of me :lachen:
IMG_0723.jpg

To those that have traveled this rode before me-

How do you keep the oils from melting
down onto your face
esp. when you wear makeup?

Also what do you use on the hair for softness?
The products I use make may hair kinda hard
once it dries but gives curl def.

What could I use to make my hair dry soft
as well as give curl def. w/o making my hair hard?

( I hope the ?? make sense)

TIA

down onto your face
esp. when you wear makeup?in what way are you using the oil? You should really only use the smallest amount possible to seal in your moisturizer. I dont put oil on my scalp either if that's what you meant?

once it dries but gives curl def. i spritz a mix of vegetable glycerin and water and seal with a coconut oil/shea butter mix. I wake up with soft hair

TIA
answers abovE :)

down onto your face

TIA

I agree with PYT, use a small amount of oil on your hair. I use perhaps a tablespoon and my hair is about 2-3 inches long, but it's very thick.

As far as getting some curl definition and softness, I use 2 products- KCCC and spray with Oyin Frank Juice.

Ok I'm really starting to hate my BSS. Can a sister get a decent hair product w/o having to go online. My BSS is less than a hop skip and jump away from me but it never has what I'm looking for :wallbash:

I agree with PYT, use a small amount of oil on your hair. I use perhaps a tablespoon and my hair is about 2-3 inches long, but it's very thick.

As far as getting some curl definition and softness, I use 2 products- KCCC and spray with Oyin Frank Juice.

Oyin-
Imma hafta look that up-
I've heard the name,
but not looked at any of the product line.
THANX!!

:hiya: Guess I belong here now, since I Bc'd yesterday:dance7:

here is the link to my BC thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=486124

Love being back in the natural club!

Saw your thread-
TOO CUTE!!!

Ok I'm really starting to hate my BSS. Can a sister get a decent hair product w/o having to go online. My BSS is less than a hop skip and jump away from me but it never has what I'm looking for :wallbash:

At least you have a BSS in your area-
I'm still tryin to find one in West PHX!!!
Like finding a needle in a haystack!!

down onto your face

TIA

ITA with everybody. You're using too much. Use it like you would serum for flat ironing.
And I'm with you on the lack of BSS'. My target doesn't have the curls/miss jessies/kinky curly products either:tantrum:

ITA with everybody. You're using too much. Use it like you would serum for flat ironing.
And I'm with you on the lack of BSS'. My target doesn't have the curls/miss jessies/kinky curly products either:tantrum:

I'm starting to think that was some rumor. has anyone purchased them from there or was it just something that was spread around?

My target has all those products. Then again, I'm in kinky/curly mecca.

It looks like they're letting the miss jessie's inventory dwindle down. IIrc, they originally gave miss jessie's (and maybe jane carter) it's own endcap and had shea moisture and curls on the shelves in the aisle with other black hair products. However, as of the last few times I've been there, all those products have been consolidated into the same endcap. I'm trying to think if I've seen Kinky Curly's products - I don't know what their labeling looks like.

I would guess the availability depends on the demographics/anticipated demand of the area. It's also good to voice your interest to the store management or to corporate via the website so that they know there's actual demand.

I'm planning to stop by Vitamin Shoppe in Knoxville today and pickup some more AOHSR condish. (I love this stuff!) I baggied with WOC moisturizer spray and sealed with Haitian Black Castor Oil and my hair is so soft this morning.:yep: I may stick with this combination. I still have a few bottles of HBCO but I may purchase more soon. I may also look into purchasing some Jamaican Black Castor oil so I can compare the difference.

It's been almost 3 months since I BC'd. Time really flies! I'm loving the retention that I'm getting since I stopped relaxing. Even my slow growing nape that was always breaking is now a few inches long!:grin: I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxing!
u tried vitaglo?? pretty cheap on the AOHSR

My target has all those products. Then again, I'm in kinky/curly mecca.

It looks like they're letting the miss jessie's inventory dwindle down. IIrc, they originally gave miss jessie's (and maybe jane carter) it's own endcap and had shea moisture and curls on the shelves in the aisle with other black hair products. However, as of the last few times I've been there, all those products have been consolidated into the same endcap. I'm trying to think if I've seen Kinky Curly's products - I don't know what their labeling looks like.

I would guess the availability depends on the demographics/anticipated demand of the area. It's also good to voice your interest to the store management or to corporate via the website so that they know there's actual demand.

There are too many African American folk in PHX metro area for them to be playing!

whats bss? black styling ____:ohwell: lost

Beauty Supply Store (???)

I looked at the OYIN website-

Ohh Emm Geee!!!!

Everything there sounds DEEE-lishus!!!
And not too costly!
Has anyone tried the Honey Hemp Condish??

Last edited:
Just did a cowash, so here he is naked! Now I have to figure out what to do with him. FYI, I refer to my hair as Reggie (bush) lol

ETA: woah, too big brb

2hyuwrd.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Girl
it is SOOO much fun!!

I went from sitting on the couch to
going to class 2x a day!!!

I have been at it a month so far
and I am not bored at all!

I am even thinking about getting certification
in Zumba to teach when I return to AZ.

I highly recommend it!!!:grin:

thanks! they offer it at my gym, i think i will try it on monday!

LOL..

Okay ladies, I think I fell in love with my hair tonight. I'm walking around the house all fro'd up and I keep stopping by mirrors looking in admiration, lol..

You know how you see someone's hair and you're like, I love that but on her. That's how I feel whenever I see someone with a fro, like its cute on her but I can't wear Reggie out just yet. But now I think I'm ready. I just need to get my eyebrows waxed hahaha

I'm starting to think that was some rumor. has anyone purchased them from there or was it just something that was spread around?

i'm mad about that too. i went to target the other day and i couldn't find shea moisture/miss jessies. the woman checked online, and they have them at certain locations. so maybe you need to check a target that has more black people. :ohwell: stores are funny like that. ♥

I started the mini twists. I used heat to stretch my hair. I'm 1/16 of the way in so far
IMG_0726.jpg

It's really not as difficult as it seems. Drying and stretching my hair took more effort than the actual twists. I hope the final result comes out looking ok

LOL..

Okay ladies, I think I fell in love with my hair tonight. I'm walking around the house all fro'd up and I keep stopping by mirrors looking in admiration, lol..
:woot: That's great!

You know how you see someone's hair and you're like, I love that but on her. That's how I feel whenever I see someone with a fro, like its cute on her but I can't wear Reggie out just yet. But now I think I'm ready. I just need to get my eyebrows waxed hahaha

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
I know exactly what you're talking about. I was thinking about a somewhat related topic the other day. Even though I'm surrounded by gorgeous naturals, I still found myself thinking along those lines. I didn't think wash-n-go's and puffs were suitable for me - I felt that they wouldn't suit me, my face and my style (and that they might wreak havoc on my ends). I'm still scurred to go outside with a picked out fro. For me, I think some of it is an apprehension towards big or funky hair. Most of the time, I tend to be somewhat reserved and although I find the funky big earrings-flower-and big hair deal attractive on other people, it's not really my style. So I've already gotten over the hump of finding my natural fro attractive on me, now I just have to find the balance of wearing my hair in natural styles that genuinely reflect who I am.

And ditto on the eyebrows!!! I pluck mine myself and find that it automatically does wonders for my face, which needs all the help it can get. :lachen: My sparse eyebrows also need all the help they can get and I'm currently in love with Revlon Brow Fantasy - it has tinted brow mascara that gives my brows that extra oomph.

Those twists are going to be GORGEOUS foxglove!!! You have way more patience than I do. How long will you keep them in?

Those twists are going to be GORGEOUS foxglove!!! You have way more patience than I do. How long will you keep them in?

I'm hoping this set can last a month. I have 3 months in a row of wards coming up (sept through nov) and I'm hoping I can leave a set in a month at a time during wards

Back