~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I still haven't been home to pick up my new wireless card for my laptop so I have to use use the Wi-Fi at truckstops.:sad: Congratulations to everyone and keep up the good work! I'm so happy to hear that everyone is having great success with being natural. I saw my family last night while passing through the area. My mother and youngest daughter complimented me on my puff last night. They are amazed at my growth and retention. (I wish I would have done this years ago). My daughter is considering transitioning but I'm not sure about my mom. I would love to see her with a 'fro again.

question: for those of you that wash while in twists, how do you moisturize them afterwards? it would seem like they'd frizz or unravel. ♥

I still haven't been home to pick up my new wireless card for my laptop so I have to use use the Wi-Fi at truckstops.:sad: Congratulations to everyone and keep up the good work! I'm so happy to hear that everyone is having great success with being natural. I saw my family last night while passing through the area. My mother and youngest daughter complimented me on my puff last night. They are amazed at my growth and retention. (I wish I would have done this years ago). My daughter is considering transitioning but I'm not sure about my mom. I would love to see her with a 'fro again.
Excellent! :)

Hi all! I still don't have internet at home but I found the library at work woot woot!
So I think a wash and go is going to be my staple for the next 3 years. I have to be in the hospital by 8 for this rotation but for the majority I will have to have seen all my patients by 7:30 so I'll probably have to be in the hospital by 5:something. I just don't have the extra half hour to untwist and style a twistout or anything complicated so me and the wash and go will be likethis.
One thing I've noticed so far is all the black female residents are natural. Granted there aren't that many of us but all the ones I've seen are all natural
Wow, that's some schedule! Definitely sound that low-mani styles, such as the wash-n-go, are the best way to go. I'm not surprised that all the black female residents are natural. :yep: All the best, Dr. Foxglove!

I am not sure if I would be considered newly natural since I BC'd in March of 09 but I am just now trying out styles and stuff becuase I am at a length I am comfortable with. I am between SL and APL when straight (I think:look:). My last relaxer was in May or June of 08 and I decided to transition in late fall of 08.

I am somewhere between 3c and 4b but I am not really picky about my type. Just about everything under the sun (besides Miss Jessies:wallbash:) works for me. I have half of my head in box braids and I intend to finish the rest when it cools down.
:welcome: Did you try Miss Jessies before you got into LHCF or after? I was tempted to try them or Carol's Daughter out at the beginning of my hhj but I've heard nothing but bad things about them on the boards. And they're too darn expensive.

Okay so I'm in Paris. I'm running low on oil so I went to Sephora to pick some up. Anyways, a nice young white woman offers to help me. She shows me a few items then asks an older black lady who works there for ideas. This chick starts trying to sell me some cream and I am like no I have my moisturizers, I just need oil to seal it in. She starts shaking her head, no you don't need oil, it won't help with moisture. So I am like yes it works well on my hair then this ___ says well then why does your hair look like this, as she lifts her hand to my hair and looks at me with disgust. I say it is blown out and I'm about to explain further but it hits me that it doesn't matter. I say to her I don't care if you don't like my hair, I love it.

She was wearing a jacked up wig. My hair was freshly washed and deep conditioned and blown out in a big, fluffy fro, tied back a little with a scarf. I looked cute. I am planning on twisting it up tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, the white lady sees the tension and gets me away from the crazy lady and helps me find the oil I want. She was very sweet. I wanted to smack the black lady. I wanted so badly to go back to her and set her straight but I wasn't feeling well and shoot I am a little more cautious since I'm not at home lol. I just needed to share this with someone. This is my first direct insult. I had to go all the way to Paris to get a hair insult.

I love my hair so much!!!! It is so beautiful!!!!! I wish black folks off line would just WAKE UP, School Daze style!!!! 4a/b hair isn't "bad" hair, it isn't "ugly", it is gorgeous and so much fun!!!!

I hate that I even had to come online to learn how to take care of the hair growing out of my own head!!!! Such knowledge should be passed on from mother to daughter not the current inferiority complex black folks want to pass on from generation to generation.

I can't wait until I regain my length! GROW HAIR GROW!!!!

Okay so I'm in Paris. I'm running low on oil so I went to Sephora to pick some up. Anyways, a nice young white woman offers to help me. She shows me a few items then asks an older black lady who works there for ideas. This chick starts trying to sell me some cream and I am like no I have my moisturizers, I just need oil to seal it in. She starts shaking her head, no you don't need oil, it won't help with moisture. So I am like yes it works well on my hair then this ___ says well then why does your hair look like this, as she lifts her hand to my hair and looks at me with disgust. I say it is blown out and I'm about to explain further but it hits me that it doesn't matter. I say to her I don't care if you don't like my hair, I love it.

She was wearing a jacked up wig. My hair was freshly washed and deep conditioned and blown out in a big, fluffy fro, tied back a little with a scarf. I looked cute. I am planning on twisting it up tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, the white lady sees the tension and gets me away from the crazy lady and helps me find the oil I want. She was very sweet. I wanted to smack the black lady. I wanted so badly to go back to her and set her straight but I wasn't feeling well and shoot I am a little more cautious since I'm not at home lol. I just needed to share this with someone. This is my first direct insult. I had to go all the way to Paris to get a hair insult.

There's no telling what she had under that wig too :nono:. Ignore her I'm sure your hair looked wonderful. It's such a shame more of our own people don't see the beauty in our hair

Leave it to the black person to have something negative to say about your hair. She was just jealous that you actually had hair on your head, while she hid her bald patches under her wig. Glad you found your oil. Enjoy Paris!!

Kinky Curly is coming to Target this summer! Knot Today is my staple leave-in, and although I live close to a Whole Foods when I'm at school, being able to go to Target wherever I am located will be nice. I'm also going to try the Curling Custard for my wash and go's next month!

There's no telling what she had under that wig too :nono:. Ignore her I'm sure your hair looked wonderful. It's such a shame more of our own people don't see the beauty in our hair

Leave it to the black person to have something negative to say about your hair. She was just jealous that you actually had hair on your head, while she hid her bald patches under her wig. Glad you found your oil. Enjoy Paris!!

Thanks ladies. She was so rude and I am usually fairly quick with come backs but i just wasn't expecting that and I was feeling light-headed and my stomach was upset--I didn't have the energy to handle her. Anyway, I may go back and complain to the manager, idk if it's worth it or not.

Hmmmm, so I'm having an allergic reaction and I *think* the shea moisture smoothie might have caused it. I did my hair yesterday and noticed some itching under my ear and later noticed some swelling under my right eye. I washed my hands with anti-bacterial soap (which I always do anyways upon entering my house, so I don't think outside contaminants are the cause) and washed my face with cetaphil. Went to bed and woke up looking like a burnt sugar version of Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
images

I got some hydrocortisone cream from Target so hopefully that will help. Iirc, the last time I had this type of facial swelling was when I discovered my allergy to codeine in middle school. Not a good look.

But I did do a decent job with my flat twists a la westNDNbeauty, so at least there's one somewhat bright spot.

Ignorant wench.:rolleyes: I think you would like this video - Don't Explain Yourself.

I think you should go back and talk to the manager, if you feel up to it. Enjoy your stay in Paris.

I love my hair so much!!!! It is so beautiful!!!!! I wish black folks off line would just WAKE UP, School Daze style!!!! 4a/b hair isn't "bad" hair, it isn't "ugly", it is gorgeous and so much fun!!!!

I hate that I even had to come online to learn how to take care of the hair growing out of my own head!!!! Such knowledge should be passed on from mother to daughter not the current inferiority complex black folks want to pass on from generation to generation.

I can't wait until I regain my length! GROW HAIR GROW!!!!
:amen:

I swear, being on this board has made me thankful for the family an community that I was born into. I am so grateful that I grew up in a family where "nappy" wasn't a bad thing, that needed to be compensated for, trained into submission, or, worse, eliminated. I am so grateful that thickness was regarded as the holy grail - not straightness, not curl or wave definition. My grandma has 1-2a hair and my uncle has 2b and there was never any implicit or explicit fawning among family and friends. Actually, the first time I encountered such nonsense was at my grandma's funeral when a former neighbor went on about my grandma's "indian from india" (:yawn:) hair.

My hair had nary a curl nor wave growing up and that was a-okay with me and mines. My mom might not have known about protein/moisture balance but she always treated our hair with care and love and I got to wear puffs, braids, twists and the occasional serendipitous twistout. She also took advantage of the versatility of styling for herself - dreads for a couple of years, braids every now and then, blowdried natchal hair, twa, sassy short relaxed cut, etc, etc. Of course, when I was left to do my own hair, I was lazy and opted for buns.:ohwell:

Likewise, in school, very few of the girls got perms before the age of 12 and many remained natural even beyond that age. Everyone wore large braids and twists with bubbles and ribbons as children and transitioned to smaller twists, braids and buns later on. No one, iirc, was degraded or exalted for their texture.

I'm glad I missed out on all that tomfoolery.

Thanks for your support Andromeda. I loved the YouTube video, very appropriate. I hadn't seen Roshini in years so that was great too. I hope your allergic reaction gets better. Did you take any Benadryl? That always helps me a lot.

Kinky Curly is coming to Target this summer! Knot Today is my staple leave-in, and although I live close to a Whole Foods when I'm at school, being able to go to Target wherever I am located will be nice. I'm also going to try the Curling Custard for my wash and go's next month!

They don't have any of those in my Target. No Shea moisture, Miss Jessies, and I'm sure there will be no KK. I'm a little peeved

TRESeme cone free conditioner is a keeper! I pre-poo'ed with it over night. While detangling this morning, I had two potential knots and I was able to just slide the hairs out. No cutting! This would not have been the case with Suave's conditioner.

Now what am I supposed to do with these 4 bottles of Suave Coconut conditioner that I've "stocked up" on??? I hate throwing away whole bottles of stuff. I have 3 unused bottles of Dove's leave in spray too that I don't want and don't know what to do with it.

I'm also "doing my hair" for the first time since going natural. I am sitting with about 14 banded sections of hair. Hope it comes out decently straightened. Then, on to cornrowing...

I may have asked this before, but have any of you noticed less/no shedding as a natural vs. relaxed?

I used to shed like a cat especially when it was time for touch-ups...but I think as a natural, the hair gets caught up within the mass of thickness so it never gets the chance to fall on my clothing/floor/etc. :yep:

whenever i'm feelin nervous about my hair, i always get some sort of reassurance from someone. i went out last night to a club, and i was nervous as heck about the responses i would get. i had wore my hair out, all the way out, with no headband or anything, and i just KNEW someone was gonna have something negative to say, since i hadn't pulled it back in the 'safe' puffball. anyway, a girl kept staring at me and so i looked at her, and she told me she liked my hair. definitely calmed me down and made me feel less nervous about being the 'different' one in the club. ♥

Thanks for your support Andromeda. I loved the YouTube video, very appropriate. I hadn't seen Roshini in years so that was great too. I hope your allergic reaction gets better. Did you take any Benadryl? That always helps me a lot.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I wound up going back out during pharmacy hours to ask about benadryl (I wasn't if the particular types they had in stock when I visited earlier were appropriate because they only mentioned upper-respiratory allergies :spinning:). The swelling has gone down substansially. Don't look like a full-fledged ms. stay puft anymore! :lachen: Hopefully I'll look normal by tonight.

Now I have to pinpoint the allergen...

In better news, I picked up some v05 condishes from the supermarket yesterday on sale. I stocked up on my favorite scented one (tea therapy clarifying condish vanilla mint), a new one (herbal escapes cleansing codish kiwi lime squeeze with lemongrass extract) and some tried and true moisture milks.

hairsothick has inspired me to try my 1st set of mini twists.... ofcourse I'll be back with pictures tonight, I'm MG :lachen:

Speaking of pictures (:lol:), here's my best twistout as a natural so far:

Pretty hair -PYT!

PYT, your hair is very cute.

i wore my hair in a frohawk last night/this morning for the club. its kinda cute but i wasn't really feeling it. i'm not really into edgy things. not my style. anyone some white guy said he liked my hair, then out of NOWHERE, he touched it. OMG! i was so embarrassed yal. :rofl:

PYT, your hair is very cute.

i wore my hair in a frohawk last night/this morning for the club. its kinda cute but i wasn't really feeling it. i'm not really into edgy things. not my style. anyone some white guy said he liked my hair, then out of NOWHERE, he touched it. OMG! i was so embarrassed yal. :rofl:

You know they are curious. My supervisor, she's white and a curly girl herself (she does a wash & go everyday), said you know I gotta touch it the first day she saw my hair. She pulled a coil and was like "OMG I wasn't expecting it to be that long" :giggle:

Nice twist PYT, I may have to try that style next. Love your twistout MG.

Now this still amazes me..........Me and DH went to our friend's/neighbor's house yesterday for a cookout get together and I had my hair in a (what else) curly fro style except I had a split in the middle with a few curlies coming down the front kinda like bangs. Anyway, I received soooooo many compliments and this is from all caucasians. Coincidentally my neighbor/friend is also white but she LOVESSSS my hair in it's natural state and she reiterated this again! I even had one aquaintance say that she wished her hair was like mine because she hates her thin limp hair. :blush3:
What a confidence booster if I ever felt like I needed one. I'm just disappointed that more of US don't find natural hair as beautiful as those of other races. It's really kinda sad and my mom is one of those people as well. But I think she may slowly be coming around.

Bonjour ladies. I have a quick update from Paris. So I was close by the Sephora where I had the incident with the rude lady. I spoke to the manager. She apologized and gave me a bag filled with lots of goodies. She said this was not the first time they had gotten this type of comment about this lady. One manager was very kind, the other (higher up) tried to explain that perhaps the lady was tired or having a bad day, but as I would not let it go finally said that yes perhaps she was impolite, and apologized for the bad experience. I am satisfied. The lady I had the encounter with was not there, which was fine, I said my peace, got my apologies, and a gift--so I'm good.

Bonjour ladies. I have a quick update from Paris. So I was close by the Sephora where I had the incident with the rude lady. I spoke to the manager. She apologized and gave me a bag filled with lots of goodies. She said this was not the first time they had gotten this type of comment about this lady. One manager was very kind, the other (higher up) tried to explain that perhaps the lady was tired or having a bad day, but as I would not let it go finally said that yes perhaps she was impolite, and apologized for the bad experience. I am satisfied. The lady I had the encounter with was not there, which was fine, I said my peace, got my apologies, and a gift--so I'm good.

I hate when managers/supervisors try to make excuses for inappropriate behavior :nono:! I do not make excuses for my employees. If they are wrong I admit it and take it up with them later. I'm not in retail but in community recreation where we have a lot of customers and they pay for our programs and services.

I was able to get my hair into a teeeny ponytail so now it's time for my phony pony. This will be my main protective style until at least 2 years post relaxer, possibly longer. I plan on putting it in sunday morning before church and leaving my hair alone until saturday when I will wash and DC

*poof

Last edited:
Back