~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Happy Afro Day!
hair.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

Your hair looks really similar to this blogger's hair. The blog is called Natural Selection.
Here are some pics http://naturalselectionblog.com/2010/03/12/lola-lovin-cherry-lola/
img_0229.jpg

img_0239.jpg

img_0241.jpg

The braids are out. My brothers saw my hair for the first time since I BC'ed and loved it. Wish I could say the same for my mom. Of course my computer is acting up and isn't recognizing my memory card so I can't upload pics. I'm moving and won't have cable until next weekend so I'll upload pics then

i got a hair compliment today. it made me feel good, especially since people down here openly fawn over other hair types. ♥

Hmmm... I thought your hair type WAS the type that people openly fawned over. :ohwell: Down here where I am from, your hair would definitely be something to admire.:yep:

My wireless card stopped working the other day so I had to order another one from Sprint.:wallbash::wallbash: I didn't take pics for the 4th but I got lots of compliments. I went to the beach to watch fireworks and I wore my fro out :afro:. I also wore leggings, a tunic, big hoop earrings, and a little makeup (I normally wear just lipgloss). One guy told me I "look hot", another told me that I "look sexy", and I received a lot of "I like your hair" comments. I was :blush: and :grin: the whole time. I may try to duplicate the look and try taking pics soon.

Congratulations on your BC, Shay72. You look great!:congrats::clap: Congratulations to Mummysgirl and Trini. Great pics!

I have to admit that I'm addicted to henna and Worlds of Curls Activator and Moisturizers. They are definetely staples. I also like Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment. This is an awesome DC! It makes my hair so soft (even after a Henna treatment). I love it! Keep up the good work everyone!

My wireless card stopped working the other day so I had to order another one from Sprint.:wallbash::wallbash: I didn't take pics for the 4th but I got lots of compliments. I went to the beach to watch fireworks and I wore my fro out :afro:. I also wore leggings, a tunic, big hoop earrings, and a little makeup (I normally wear just lipgloss). One guy told me I "look hot", another told me that I "look sexy", and I received a lot of "I like your hair" comments. I was :blush: and :grin: the whole time. I may try to duplicate the look and try taking pics soon.

Congratulations on your BC, Shay72. You look great!:congrats::clap: Congratulations to Mummysgirl and Trini. Great pics!

I have to admit that I'm addicted to henna and Worlds of Curls Activator and Moisturizers. They are definetely staples. I also like Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment. This is an awesome DC! It makes my hair so soft (even after a Henna treatment). I love it! Keep up the good work everyone!

You go Girl!!!!! :gorgeous:

I think my hair is long enough to braid now (4 inches stretched). This letting my hair "be" is not working out. I had to cut TWO knotted ends last night both of which contained a significant amount of hair.

The little coils are cute and everything but shoot, I'm trying to have LONG natural hair not short coily coils indefinitely!!!

I'm going to attempt to braid my hair myself with extensions :nervous2: (I've never even braided my hair period let alone with extensions :cantlook:)

Thank you Evallusion! I'm still amazed at the amazing growth you've had. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I think my hair is long enough to braid now (4 inches stretched). This letting my hair "be" is not working out. I had to cut TWO knotted ends last night both of which contained a significant amount of hair.

The little coils are cute and everything but shoot, I'm trying to have LONG natural hair not short coily coils indefinitely!!!

I'm going to attempt to braid my hair myself with extensions :nervous2: (I've never even braided my hair period let alone with extensions :cantlook:)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

my plan was to wig it till i grew out my twa, but after a few days i really started to like it! and i also love that it only takes 1 hour to dry, and i use less product wich is saving me money.

Hmmmm...so I realized that I can do wash-n-go's without getting single strand knots. I've also realized that it's not necessary to detangle every time I co-wash.

When washing my fro puff, I just remove my elastic, soak my hair with water, cowash, put my elastic back on and wipe off the dripping water with a paper towel or t-shirt. My coils are undisturbed and clump better; by getting more strands to form a coil and less stray strands, they're less likely to form knots. On the other hand, when I separate all the strands by combing through the hair, they still end up trying to coil, but since it's more difficult for them to clump into a coherent form, they end up forming knots. The same is true even when I do stretched styles - depending on the circumstances, the end of the strand will start to coil up and form knots or get little balls on the ends.

I purchased the Shea Moisture smoothie and milk from target. The ingredients are really good. I hennaed yesterday, dc'd overnight with hairveda sitrinillah (finally finished the jar i bought x-mas, i think i have another one in my stash), rinsed and added the milk and the smoothie. My hair feels very soft.

Mini twists :grin:

2elb4eq.jpg

:cry4: Beautiful! How long did it take you to do them?

Hmmmm...so I realized that I can do wash-n-go's without getting single strand knots. I've also realized that it's not necessary to detangle every time I co-wash.

When washing my fro puff, I just remove my elastic, soak my hair with water, cowash, put my elastic back on and wipe off the dripping water with a paper towel or t-shirt. My coils are undisturbed and clump better; by getting more strands to form a coil and less stray strands, they're less likely to form knots. On the other hand, when I separate all the strands by combing through the hair, they still end up trying to coil, but since it's more difficult for them to clump into a coherent form, they end up forming knots. The same is true even when I do stretched styles - depending on the circumstances, the end of the strand will start to coil up and form knots or get little balls on the ends.

I purchased the Shea Moisture smoothie and milk from target. The ingredients are really good. I hennaed yesterday, dc'd overnight with hairveda sitrinillah (finally finished the jar i bought x-mas, i think i have another one in my stash), rinsed and added the milk and the smoothie. My hair feels very soft.

Hmm, I kinda like the sound of that "no combing". I think that if I maybe restrict myself to combing once a week as opposed to 2 times (I normally wash 2x a week), then I could maintain my coils/clumpage <~is that a word?:drunk:... But I believe you're on to something here. I was already only detangling just twice a week but I would do it when I cowashed and shampoo washed. There's something in me that just says I need to run a comb through it. So my question is that when you do finally detangle, does your hair seem more intense or tangly than when you did it every wash day (however often that was)? Right now my detangling is not a real problem since I do it after my DC. How often is everyone else detangling their hair?

Hi ladies,

I tried shingling with the kinky curly line this weekend. It didn't turn out how I wanted it too, but I just think the technique is not for me, my did curls looked nice. I did a review of all 3 products on my blog and posted pics in fotki as well. I also did a wng fro for the 4th using knot today and the kccc, my only complaint is it doesn't provide me with the moisture I need. Here are some pics I posted earlier in another thread.
2nv9jxv.jpg

2uem9p1.jpg

w7d5rd.jpg

Still haven't been able to make a puff so that's my goal for this month

Just wanted to let the ladies who asked questions about my twists know that I'm not igging you. I'll answer all questions on Thursday (it's my day off).

Just wanted to let the ladies who asked questions about my twists know that I'm not igging you. I'll answer all questions on Thursday (it's my day off).

We will be waiting...Your hair is gorgeous and those twists left me speechless, just beautiful!

Hi ladies,

I tried shingling with the kinky curly line this weekend. It didn't turn out how I wanted it too, but I just think the technique is not for me, my did curls looked nice. I did a review of all 3 products on my blog and posted pics in fotki as well. I also did a wng fro for the 4th using knot today and the kccc, my only complaint is it doesn't provide me with the moisture I need. Here are some pics I posted earlier in another thread.
2nv9jxv.jpg

2uem9p1.jpg

w7d5rd.jpg

Great pics!:yep: Your hair is pretty!:clapping:

those mini twists are the bomb!!!

i got another hair compliment yesterday at work. a guy came in and started flirting :rolleyes: and giving me all these compliments (not mad at that). then he said he loved my hair and said it was really pretty or a tight weave. LOL. i've never seen a twa weave. ♥

Hmm, I kinda like the sound of that "no combing". I think that if I maybe restrict myself to combing once a week as opposed to 2 times (I normally wash 2x a week), then I could maintain my coils/clumpage <~is that a word?:drunk:... But I believe you're on to something here. I was already only detangling just twice a week but I would do it when I cowashed and shampoo washed. There's something in me that just says I need to run a comb through it. So my question is that when you do finally detangle, does your hair seem more intense or tangly than when you did it every wash day (however often that was)? Right now my detangling is not a real problem since I do it after my DC. How often is everyone else detangling their hair?
Nope, not at all. And it's funny bc when my mom saw my puff last week with all the defined coils she was absolutely perplexed and was like "how are you going to comb through them when it's time to detangle?". :lol: Anyways, I find there's less tangling because of the coherent "clumpage " (I like that term!:) )factor. Before, I would have tufts of hair, coils and stray strands that were trying to form coils with other clumps and tufts, which leads to tangling. I think the moisture of cowashing has also helped to cut down on tangling.
Hi ladies,

Beautiful hair and makeup! :up:

When you BCd 06242010 at approx 1 AM lol
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd 15/16 last relaxer was in Feb '09
Your hair type 4a ish
Your current regimen n/a
Your favorite styles wash n go
Your current length and goal length I just pulled down my longest layer and it reaches my collar bone, so CBL with crazy layers

Goal: BSL (for now)

Attachments

• 100_2918.jpg
    100_2918.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • go me.JPG
    go me.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I've been to busy to post lately but I'm glad eveybody's doing so well!

Trini, your hair is gorgeous! It looks just like the hair I've got at my nape, I can't keep my hands out of it.
And please share what you're doing for your skin, it's just flawless.

MG, those twists on stretched hair look great. :yep:

I'm having a great time with my hair too. Just wash and goes every day and they keep looking better.
I cowash every day and don't need to detangle at all! It's so amazing to me, during my transition there was a time that I fully detangled every day.

I do get ssk's from playing in my hair. But I just can't help myself. :look:

It's been two months today since I chopped it off!! Man how time flies. I have not even thought about putting a relaxer on my hair since and I wish I would have chopped it years ago. It's really great :)

Hello ladies. So for those who do not fotki stalk, I decided to share my version of my curly fro which really isn't different from how I normally wear my hair except I usually pull it back with some kind of headband.

June7002-vi.jpg

June7004-vi.jpg

But today I'm currrently rocking twists straight from this curly fro without adding any additional moisture thanks to the curl activator and ecostyler gel.
June7007-vi.jpg

June7010-vi.jpg

Too cute, Steph! Since my hair has grown some I have been doing flat twists all the way to the back and then rocking twistous. I feel kinda self-conscious in these flat twists but I love that I can sleep on them without a care!

Anybody else feel like they can't go back to just letting their twa shrink up?

I am not sure if I would be considered newly natural since I BC'd in March of 09 but I am just now trying out styles and stuff becuase I am at a length I am comfortable with. I am between SL and APL when straight (I think:look:). My last relaxer was in May or June of 08 and I decided to transition in late fall of 08.

I am somewhere between 3c and 4b but I am not really picky about my type. Just about everything under the sun (besides Miss Jessies:wallbash:) works for me. I have half of my head in box braids and I intend to finish the rest when it cools down.

Last edited:
I've been to busy to post lately but I'm glad eveybody's doing so well!

Trini, your hair is gorgeous! It looks just like the hair I've got at my nape, I can't keep my hands out of it.
And please share what you're doing for your skin, it's just flawless.

:

Thank you :bighug:. I have to admit I was having a lot of problems with my skin late last year and early this year. I was using benzoyl peroxide and it just wasn't working for me ( I have oily acne prone skin). A few months ago I switched to salicylic acid (neutrogena wave) at night and African black soap in the morning. I do still have some hyperpigmentation which is covered really well with my foundation, and is going away with vitamin E every night. HTH!

Everyone's hair is looking AMAZING!

Foxglove, you're right our hair is VERY similar. I think her's is more tamed though (maybe I need to up my DC :scratchch).

Hairsothick, your twists are gorgeous!

Stepiphanie and Stephelise, beautiful Fros.

Mummysgirl, loving the twists!

VainJane, you're getting compliments because your hair is beautiful. Glad people are noticing.

Shay, your hair looks juicy. Love it!

Lustforlife, WELCOME!

Platinum, I wanna see the Fro!!!!

Sorry if I missed anyone, I'm tired. Have a great weekend ladies.

Hi all! I still don't have internet at home but I found the library at work woot woot!
So I think a wash and go is going to be my staple for the next 3 years. I have to be in the hospital by 8 for this rotation but for the majority I will have to have seen all my patients by 7:30 so I'll probably have to be in the hospital by 5:something. I just don't have the extra half hour to untwist and style a twistout or anything complicated so me and the wash and go will be likethis.
One thing I've noticed so far is all the black female residents are natural. Granted there aren't that many of us but all the ones I've seen are all natural

1. When you BCd: March 19, 2010
  2. How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 13 months
  3. Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness:
    4 a/b. My hair only clumps in certain areas, but it's so mixed up that you can hardly see it without assistance from gel. It's like the different textures made a patchwork pattern on my head lol. Sometimes the curls pop, sometimes they don't.
    And as for the rest, the LOIS system pretty much describes me in their definition of 4-OS:

• [*]OS hair coils into springs and s-curls when wet, with the occasional spiral curl.

[*]These springs can range in diameter from chalk to pen spring size. The smaller diameter the coils, the more shrinkage is expected.

[*]These springs and coils may disappear when hair is dry or combed/picked.

[*]Hair may lose it's sheen when combed and/or dried, needing a shine product to revitalize it.

[*]This hair type can be sheeny or shiny when glossing products are used. It doesn't straighten easily if the strands are coarse. When it grows long it sits more outward than downward.

• 4a hair type may hold a shake & go style and coil definition with the right products.
    • It holds wet twists and comb coils tightly and very well for long periods. Stays moisturized with the right products
    • This hair type may not hold a Press well because it reacts quickly to moisture.
  4. Your current regimen: I don't have a set regimen right now. I'm kind of just going with the flow. I'm still testing out products. So far my hair loves shea butter. I've tried Tressemme Naturals condish, Suave Naturals Almond and Shea Butter condish, Pantene's Curls line, and am currently experimenting with Yes to Carrots and Yes to Cucumbers. Once I figure out which ones I like best, those will be the ones I use. As for shampoos, I use ACV, Dr. Bronner's, Suave Rosemary Mint or Suave Clarify shampoo. I hope to get a set regimen soon, but I'm a product junkie so I don't know how that will go lol.
  5. Your favorite styles: My favorite style right now are mini twists and twist outs, preferably of the three strand variety because it gives more of a spiral curl than a wave that you get from a two strand twist out. I tried a wash and go once with ecostyler using the shingling method and it turned out nice, but I haven't had a chance to do it again. I've done other wash and gos without gel and they were cute too.
  6. Your current length and goal length: I'm currently a little past shoulder length in the back and touching my collar bone in the front.
  7. Your photo album, if any: http://public.fotki.com/loveatfirstcoil/

I'm working on creating my thread now and if you have any questions, you can ask them there.

Back