~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

fresh out the shower wet texture shot

aaa-1.jpg

hi ladies =]

last relaxer: 11/25/09
BCd: 3/25/10

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 4

i dont really know my hair type...i generally say 4a/3c...not totally sure, its confusing lol...i have lots of different curls textures and sizes...crazy shrinkage, and i think it grows out

current regimen: co-wash 1-3x a week, DC once a week w/ heat (usually use lustrasilk cholesterol, aussie 3 minute miracle, AO honeysuckle rose, and i usually add oil and honey), moisturize and seal daily or every other day (if i remember), somtimes baggy at night, sleep w/ satin bonnet...i plan on doing ACV rinses weekly and clarifying w/ a sulfate free shampoo or castile soap when i feel its needed (pre-poo w/ oils b4)

hair faves: WATER, ecostyler <3, aloe vera gel, elasta qp feels like silk liquid gel, Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and Hello Hydration, Suave Coconut, Aussie Moist, coconut oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, castor oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil...any oil really...

i havent used direct heat since dec 09...i'm petrified of heat damage.

i really only wear WnG's, puffs or finger curls(newly discovered), my hair is too short for me to do anything else
WnG
2i7vj34.jpg

Puff
vnme5g.jpg

Finger Curls
mm4ykx.jpg

its about 3-4 inches maybe but i want it to grow as long as possible...i'd probably be satisfied with APL/BSL though...i want HHHHHUUUUUGEEEEEEEEEEEE obnoxious, distracting, beautiful hair.

http://public.fotki.com/iri9109/

Last edited:
i bcd earlier this week and i tried to add some knky twists to my hair but it is way to short, wich is a bit upsetting. So im just wiggin it for a month and ill try again then. My last relaxer was the end of april 2010. And i bcd on monday. I only have 2 inches at most. I am praying for ear length hair by december.

Nice hair pics everyone and a big warm welcome to all of the new peeps.

A friend of mine gave me some of her Afroveda products (what a cool friend right). I have the Shea Amla cream (hate it), the Curl Define Cream (like it) and the PUR Whipped Jelly (love it). The PUR Whipped Jelly is making my puffs look so much neater andit smells great. I'm using it for my edges and the front of my hair.

I'm noticing that I'm able to push my headband further and further back on my head which means my hair is growing. Its 2 1/2 to 3 inches all around. I'm in a few challenges that end in September. I'm hoping that by the time they are over I will have 3 1/2 to 4 inches of hair. 4 inches all around would be awesome.

I'm noticing that the product junkie in me is creeping back up. I'm dying for some Giovanni Direct Leave in and Qhemet Biologics Amla Heavy Cream. I haven't bought anything really but the itch is ALWAYS there. Right now I'm on the search for some cute, decently priced headbands.

How are you all doing?

I've been researching natural gels for my wash and go experiments next month! I'm also considering the new Pantene curly mousse, because it's cone free.

I can already tell I'll be spending a lot of money on hair products in August. Is it bad that I'm excited?

I've been researching natural gels for my wash and go experiments next month! I'm also considering the new Pantene curly mousse, because it's cone free.

I can already tell I'll be spending a lot of money on hair products in August. Is it bad that I'm excited?

There's nothing wrong with being excited! But try not to spend too much money. ..its so addictive!

Some good gels that I like are:
Afroveda's PUR Whipped Jelly
IC Fantasia Gel
Eco Styler Gel
or Just plain Aloe Vera Gel

I'm not a big fan of it but you might want to check out Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Hair Gel. It might be good for your hair type.

Have fun.

Twisted my hair with Qhemet Olive and Honey balm, its wonderful! :-) I'm trying to make this twist-out last the remainder of the week. Are any regular twist-out wearers re-twisting every night?? or what do you do at night??

Welcome to all the new naturals!:theteam:

Twisted my hair with Qhemet Olive and Honey balm, its wonderful! :-) I'm trying to make this twist-out last the remainder of the week. Are any regular twist-out wearers re-twisting every night?? or what do you do at night??

It depends on how defined or fluffy I want the twist-out to be/remain. I usually just cover my hair with a bonnet; it doesn't smush it and the style pattern is preserved. When my hair was longer, I would pile it a top my head in a very loose elastic and tie a scarf upside down, so that the top was exposed. You have to do this in such a way that your hair is evenly stretched, else you'll end up with a looser pattern towards the roots and a tighter pattern towards the ends. Sometimes, I'll retwist.

Here's a very helpful post curly nikki recently did on her nighttime twist out routine:
http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/06/night-time-routine.html

Are you ladies going to participate in the "National Afro Day" on the 4th?
Who's on board for National Afro Day?!?! For those participating, will you be wearing your fro picked out coily/curly? Will you be adorning it with any special accessories (maybe a miniature american flag nestled in the mass of lush hair :lol:?).
fros.jpg

AFRO+independence.jpg

I took the scissors to my head last night. I am fully natural. I transition for 9 mths and could not take the breakage any more. I am happy and I feel so free.

1st twistout as a natural :yay:

Congrats destine2grow!

andromeda, I'm not sure I'm gonna wear a fro.. yet on the 4th of July. I'm in the UK and I'll be home all day - I think I'll be twisting my hair while watching TV :)

Ladies, make sure you share pics of your afros :)

I'll be taking my braids out on national fro day.
I'm super late on the pics but everybody's hair looks beautiful!

i'm torn between a curly fro or a picked out one...i think i'll opt for curly because my hair is kind of uneven lol...BUT just in case i wanted to wear a picked out one, how do you ladies usually stretch your hair (without heat preferably)?? i'm thinking about maybe banding, but i've never done it b4, but i've seen good results

Have any of you ladies tried the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie???? I just tried for the first time today and I am in love!!! I used it for a wash and go and my curls were so soft and very defined. I used about a dime size amount on each section of my hair (4 sections). Rubbed it from root to rip and gave it a lil shake and that was it! The process was so simple and took me under 5 minutes. I got it from Target for about $10 and it seems like this jar will last me a long time. I've also heard that this product is really good for twistouts. I definitely think this product will be a staple for me :grin:.

i'm torn between a curly fro or a picked out one...i think i'll opt for curly because my hair is kind of uneven lol...BUT just in case i wanted to wear a picked out one, how do you ladies usually stretch your hair (without heat preferably)?? i'm thinking about maybe banding, but i've never done it b4, but i've seen good results

Braids or twists

I still plan to rock a fro on the 4th. I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it picked out or if I'm going to try my first blowout.:afro:

just me and my fro guys lol. ive had my hair back the last few days and this is it dry after i took it out before my wash. theres no product in it except for the kc knot today that i put in two days ago after my wash.

aba-2.jpg

Last edited:
Love this thread. Ladies with the straight pieces step away from the scissors! My last relaxer was Dec. 2007 and I bc'ed April 2009 and I TOO thought I had stray straight pieces or scab hair (but after over 2 years without a relaxer c'mon now!) I think the hair in the front of my head just as a more stretched out coil (like a long thin streteched out spiral) from my usual styling (or it could be just how it grows). Anyhoo, don't get caught like me with hair approaching BSL in the back, APL on the sides, and barely past chin length in the front from too much cutting.

Nice hair pics everyone and a big warm welcome to all of the new peeps.

A friend of mine gave me some of her Afroveda products (what a cool friend right). I have the Shea Amla cream (hate it), the Curl Define Cream (like it) and the PUR Whipped Jelly (love it). The PUR Whipped Jelly is making my puffs look so much neater andit smells great. I'm using it for my edges and the front of my hair.

I'm noticing that I'm able to push my headband further and further back on my head which means my hair is growing. Its 2 1/2 to 3 inches all around. I'm in a few challenges that end in September. I'm hoping that by the time they are over I will have 3 1/2 to 4 inches of hair. 4 inches all around would be awesome.

I'm noticing that the product junkie in me is creeping back up. I'm dying for some Giovanni Direct Leave in and Qhemet Biologics Amla Heavy Cream. I haven't bought anything really but the itch is ALWAYS there. Right now I'm on the search for some cute, decently priced headbands.

How are you all doing?

I'm not trying to tempt you, but why not try some samples of Giovanni and Qhemet? I bought some trial sized Giovannis that I take to the gym and on travel and you know Qhemet has sample sizes too. I'm still working on my Burdock Root and I bought that about a month ago.

Have any of you ladies tried the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie???? I just tried for the first time today and I am in love!!! I used it for a wash and go and my curls were so soft and very defined. I used about a dime size amount on each section of my hair (4 sections). Rubbed it from root to rip and gave it a lil shake and that was it! The process was so simple and took me under 5 minutes. I got it from Target for about $10 and it seems like this jar will last me a long time. I've also heard that this product is really good for twistouts. I definitely think this product will be a staple for me :grin:.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! This is what I've been using for my WNG, that with the milk is where it's at! This line is a staple for me.

I've been trying to find the milk but it is sold out everywhere I go! Uggh what is it used for as a leave in?

Yes, I use a little bit before I use the smoothie and it keeps my hair moisturized for days. I have to buy the products online, they go in and out of stock. I'm assuming they only order a small amount at a time.

I'm not trying to tempt you, but why not try some samples of Giovanni and Qhemet? I bought some trial sized Giovannis that I take to the gym and on travel and you know Qhemet has sample sizes too. I'm still working on my Burdock Root and I bought that about a month ago.

I've tried Qhemet in the past and loved it but I have so many "beauty supply store" products here that its ridiculous. Once I work my way through these things, I'll treat myself to some Qhemet. I'm holding out for her Black Friday sale in November. But I'm going to get the Giovanni Conditioner when I use up the 2 or 3 bottles of cheapie conditioners that I have here already.

I'm trying not to become a PJ again. But its so hard! :drunk:

Back