~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Can I join this thread? I finally have internet in Spain (yay!).
I bc'd on 2/24/10 after 8.5 months of transitioning.

I have medium/thin strands with high density (I think). Each strand is not really thick, I just have a lot of them.

My curl size ranges from bigger than a pen (but smaller than a marker) to pen spring size. I have about 50% shrinkage and my hair grows out and down.

My regimen currently is co-wash and go every other day and spritz with water to refresh on off days. For defining my curls I've been using conditioner and olive oil so far. I need to incorporate different styles though because I've noticed a few ssk's. I put my hair in twists today but I think I look ridiculous so I'll probably throw a wig over it.

My current length is neck length in the back, just below the jaw on the sides, and middle of my nose in the front (yah, I cut too much there). I don't know what my ultimate length goal is yet, I'll just stop when its too much to handle.

My fotki is linked in my siggy.

HHG ladies!!!!!!!

hey ladies! question, how do you do your wasn n go's?? that was one of the main reasons i went natural, so i can do wash and go'd. now that i am 100% natural.. except for those last pesky relaxed in some spots i have to back on with the scissors, i am ready to do my first wash n go.

so how do you do it???
tia

hey ladies! question, how do you do your wasn n go's?? that was one of the main reasons i went natural, so i can do wash and go'd. now that i am 100% natural.. except for those last pesky relaxed in some spots i have to back on with the scissors, i am ready to do my first wash n go.

so how do you do it???
tia

I do mine with Trader Joes Nourish spa conditioner or Vo5 conditioner (TJ's is my fav though). I cowash, do a final rinse with cool water then add some conditioner back in. After that I put in about a table spoon of evoo and let it air dry. At night I sleep with a satin bonnet and then spritz with water in the morning to wake it up. I've been meaning to try some other methods (curly puddings, aloe gel, eco styler) but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck!

Can I join this thread? I finally have internet in Spain (yay!).
I bc'd on 2/24/10 after 8.5 months of transitioning.

I have medium/thin strands with high density (I think). Each strand is not really thick, I just have a lot of them.

My curl size ranges from bigger than a pen (but smaller than a marker) to pen spring size. I have about 50% shrinkage and my hair grows out and down.

My regimen currently is co-wash and go every other day and spritz with water to refresh on off days. For defining my curls I've been using conditioner and olive oil so far. I need to incorporate different styles though because I've noticed a few ssk's. I put my hair in twists today but I think I look ridiculous so I'll probably throw a wig over it.

My current length is neck length in the back, just below the jaw on the sides, and middle of my nose in the front (yah, I cut too much there). I don't know what my ultimate length goal is yet, I'll just stop when its too much to handle.

My fotki is linked in my siggy.

HHG ladies!!!!!!!

:welcome4:

so how do you do it???
tia

After rinsing out my condish, I apply Worlds of Curls activator gel (my favorite) to my hair, then apply EcoStyler Olive Oil gel on top of the activator.(I got this idea from StephElise) I don't shingle my hair, I just fluff it out with my fingers. (my hair is already detangled because I use a shower comb to detangle while I still have the conditioner in it) Then I lightly pick my hair to give it some shape. So far so good.

what are yal dc'ing with? ♥
I use:
Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner,
Alterna Hemp Hydrate Conditioner,
Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Lotion &
K-Pak Intense Hydrator,
Jason Naturals Jojoba, Apricot, Aloe Vera, and Sea Kelp Conditioners, Giovanni SAS,
Aubrey Organics HSR and AOWC Conditioners as well.

Silicon Mix gives me the best slip ever but I don't use it too often because of the cones. I like it a lot after a henna day though.

I have a whole lot more than I listed here but these are the ones I use the most.

steph i hope you mind this is my last question (for now) lol

what technique do you use? i'm gonna youtube tonight at home, but is there anything special you do

i foolishly thought if i just put the stuff on my hair, voila.. curl definition

lol

I believe that the best application method heavily depends on your hair texture. For instance, on my nape and above my ears is 3C and I noticed that shingling in this area is much more effective for curl definition. Now the rest of my hair is primarily 4A and I noticed that smoothing works a lot better for curl definition. So basically you have to experiment to see which apllication method works best for you. I have also noticed that my hair responds really well to being defined with a Denman.

As promised, here are my twists that I did while watching Lost. :drunk: I am so proud of them and so very surprised at all the compliments I receieved (a lot from those of other races). I did them on a whim and when I saw how they were turning out, I decided to do my whole head. Here they are.

May24th004-vi.jpg

Not sure if you can tell but my hair is super moisturized.
May24th006-vi.jpg

A little spacey but it was my first time so give me a break.:perplexed
May24th005-vi.jpg

Last edited:

so how do you do it???
tia

Aussie moist or trader joe nourish spa to cowash
Trader joe nourish spa or Tigi bedhead moisture maniac as a leave in. I've also used KBB hair milk but I won't be repurchasing after this bottle is finished

Still searching

I use various products from each line:
Aubrey's
Skala's
Giovanni's
Silcon mix
10 n one
millcreek
Jason's

Most of the dc I use it what's in them that I look for: wheat, keratin or silk protein, panthenol, behntrimonium methosulfate and ceramides.

I believe that the best application method heavily depends on your hair texture. For instance, on my nape and above my ears is 3C and I noticed that shingling in this area is much more effective for curl definition. Now the rest of my hair is primarily 4A and I noticed that smoothing works a lot better for curl definition. So basically you have to experiment to see which apllication method works best for you. I have also noticed that my hair responds really well to being defined with a Denman.

As promised, here are my twists that I did while watching Lost. :drunk: I am so proud of them and so very surprised at all the compliments I receieved (a lot from those of other races). I did them on a whim and when I saw how they were turning out, I decided to do my whole head. Here they are.

May24th004-vi.jpg

Not sure if you can tell but my hair is super moisturized.
May24th006-vi.jpg

A little spacey but it was my first time so give me a break.:perplexed
May24th005-vi.jpg
Thanks. I don't know what I have going on in my head. My nape is silky :ohwell: and the crown has some other business going on. I have like a town of coils hidden throughout my hair, really defined coils where I don't have to do anything, they're just their taking up land. Then the rest of my hair looks like those s strands but they do nothing but sit up and look like a bush, lol... I don't know what I'm gonna do with this stuff.

How often do you ladies DC? I was doing a search on youtube for WnG last night and I realize I probably need a denman brush. Until then, it'll be this hot wig. Which I forgot I have a human hair wig that looks so freaking real. Thing I love about it is that its neck length, and I can style it however I want, curly, straight, spirals, etc... I've had it for over a year and it still looks new. I'll just corn row my hair under my wig and wash in braids until I figure things out.

Oh I used my skala last night, the shea butter poo and con and I made an attempt at a WnG, major fail. so I used Cantu Shea Butter and EVOO, well my hair was soft and easy to comb through, that was a plus. I have my hair in twists right now, man I'm never doing that again at 12 in the morning, lol..

Welcome Trini_Chutney! I love your hair!

How often do you ladies DC? I was doing a search on youtube for WnG last night and I realize I probably need a denman brush. Until then, it'll be this hot wig. Which I forgot I have a human hair wig that looks so freaking real. Thing I love about it is that its neck length, and I can style it however I want, curly, straight, spirals, etc... I've had it for over a year and it still looks new. I'll just corn row my hair under my wig and wash in braids until I figure things out.

Oh I used my skala last night, the shea butter poo and con and I made an attempt at a WnG, major fail. so I used Cantu Shea Butter and EVOO, well my hair was soft and easy to comb through, that was a plus. I have my hair in twists right now, man I'm never doing that again at 12 in the morning, lol..

I DC about 2x a week. My hair is on the dry side and my attempts at baggying my whole head at night haven't worked out so I think upping my DCing will help me regain some much needed moisture back in my hair. I add some EVOO to the DC and put it in my hair in the morning while I'm getting eating breakfast and after I rinse it out I do my usual wash and go.

I also just got my Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root moisturizer in the mail last week and they're great. They really keep my hair softer than the Shea Moisture Hair Milk. So I realized I need something a bit heavier than milk but not as heavy as the Qhemet Amla Cream. So the Burdock is the right combo for me.

Once a week. Me thinks im gonna start doing a hot oil once a week as well too. I'm also gonna try and take one, to two pics a week for my fotki. I want a good one this time around and I really need some documentation that it's growing or I will get frustrated. I figure it will be much harder to see progress for me if i'm not taking pictures since im natural now. Gonna DC tonight I think and take some pics...

OH!! ETA: does anyone think its too much to do a hot oil trmt and DC once a week?? I figure it couldnt hurt, but iono. :)

I'm doing my 18 months post update a week ahead of schedule.
Sigh... Slow growth plus super shrinkage =
IMG_0413-vi.jpg

I'm a week shy of 18 months post relaxer and this is what I'm working with. I'm really glad I didn't wait until 18 months post to BC because it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I'm really glad I got to play in my hair for the last 2 months. It's super healthy. I'm probably going to put her away for a few months and will post updates when I take my braids out

well I'm still new to this but I mix my EVOO with my DC anyway so in essence I'm getting a twofer, hot oil and DC, lol

Beautiful hair pictures ladies!! I swear I'm going to buy a camera soon.

I DC once a week, with any thick rinse out conditioner, honey, and aloe vera gel. It works wonders. I also cowash every day, so my hair stays fairly moisturized.

I'm noticing a few splits in my shed hair so I'm going to using Infusium 23 when I moisturize or try a protein condish.:sad:

Awww boooo!!!!! Are you detangling daily? Maybe that could be the culprit if you are??

I detangle with a Jibere shower comb. I only do this while cowashing. I was using a metal pick to style but I recently stopped using it because I thought it may cause breakage. Now I just use plastic picks. Now that I think about it, the metal pick may have been the culprit.:sad:

careful your plastic pic doesnt have a lot of seams. those are a killer!

I detangle with a Jibere shower comb. I only do this while cowashing. I was using a metal pick to style but I recently stopped using it because I thought it may cause breakage. Now I just use plastic picks. Now that I think about it, the metal pick may have been the culprit.:sad:

Hi ladies!

I consider myself newly natural (eventhough my 1 year post BC mark is in June). I did not transition.. BC'd at about 12 weeks after my March 09 relaxer.

I am suscribing to this thread and will post progress pics very soon.

Hi ladies!

I consider myself newly natural (eventhough my 1 year post BC mark is in June). I did not transition.. BC'd at about 12 weeks after my March 09 relaxer.

I am suscribing to this thread and will post progress pics very soon.

:welcome4: Yaya!

Okay ladies, here is a pic of my failed attempt at a wash n go or better me trying to define my curls, blah
IMAG02831-1.jpg

what I did wrong:
Looked at a young ladies YT video, bought some cantu shea butter leave in, rubbed it all in my hair along with EVOO and thought it would work for me too. I noticed at the time she was only one month post BC and before the BC she was 3 months post relaxer so her hair was a lot shorter than mine. After looking at her 6 month post BC she looked to have the same length I do now, maybe a bit longer I don't know. I'm wondering if that technique still works for her or if she has to use a Denman

At any rate, I babble alot. So this ends this post, lol

Oh and I have like 3 confirmed textures in that jungle. The hard part for me is going to be figuring out how to make one thing work for all 3 textures.

Oh and I have like 3 confirmed textures in that jungle. The hard part for me is going to be figuring out how to make one thing work for all 3 textures.

Experiment with creamy vs liquid based leave ins. My hair likes creamy but stephelise and platinum are having great results with liquid/glycerin based leave ins. Also experiment with gels or custards like ecostyler or kccc

ETA start looking up natural youtubers. I think I first searched natural wash and go or something like that then kept going to the related videos. Look at how people manipulate their hair and not exactly products (bc if you tried everything out there you'd be a super pj)
Look for people whose hair resembles yours or whose hair responds similarly to products (this is more important imo).

Last edited:
Okay ladies, here is a pic of my failed attempt at a wash n go or better me trying to define my curls, blah

what I did wrong:
Looked at a young ladies YT video, bought some cantu shea butter leave in, rubbed it all in my hair along with EVOO and thought it would work for me too. I noticed at the time she was only one month post BC and before the BC she was 3 months post relaxer so her hair was a lot shorter than mine. After looking at her 6 month post BC she looked to have the same length I do now, maybe a bit longer I don't know. I'm wondering if that technique still works for her or if she has to use a Denman

At any rate, I babble alot. So this ends this post, lol

I've read a few things about wash and go's and curl definition from my research that you may find helpful-

-After washing and conditioning your hair, rinse with cold water.
-Use a T- Shirt, microfiber towel, or paper towel- basically anything but a regular towel if you want to remove excess water from your hair
-Apply your products on wet hair.
-Air dry or use a diffuser
-Keep your fingers out of your hair, it'll create frizz.

Finding the right product is important- I use Giovanni Leave In Direct and it really helps make my curls pop. I mix it with Qhemet Biologics Burdock Cream to really moisturize my hair. The Giovanni alone makes my hair dry hard.

Good tips Nestle, thanks!

I bought a diffuser but have no idea what its for. I always skimmed over posts or threads about them in the past b/c I wasn't natural, I'm off to do some youtube research

Back