~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

AVAYA, MSSHAREE06, AND LADY DJM CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RECENT BCs!!!! I have a feeling this thread is going to be exploding soon!! The "bc bug" is definitely on the loose!! :lachen: :lachen: It's summer time and our curly coils are ready to be free.

Avaya,
I haven't gone to the barber, b/c I'm scared my hardwork (curlies) will be cut off. However, two of my girlfriends have and they only went one time for a shape up. Once their hair was growing they just styled as they could and let their regular stylist trim any left over relaxed ends. As for the working out, I usu rinse my hair every 2 days and co-wash on the 3rd day. I work out 5 days a week and this has worked fine for my TWA so far. I don't feel like I have any sweat or build up left on my scalp using this method.

Lady Djm and MsSharee06, I can't wait to see your pictures. HHG!

Anybody in here working out everyday? Do you just let you hair air dry or do you rinse off your hair/scalp?

Hi Avaya!! I work out 5-6 days a week and I try to workout in the morning before my shower, and then I cowash afterwards. If I can't work out in the morning I will do it whenever I can, and just cowash the next morning as usual. I wear buns daily so styling and working out isn't really an issue.

Hope that helps!

I finally have pics of my BC.

I have neglected my hair for toooo long, :sad: I'm starting off fresh & ready for a change.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :yep:

Attachments

• myBC01.jpg
    myBC01.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 21
  • myBC02.jpg
    myBC02.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 19
  • myBC03.jpg
    myBC03.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 16
  • myBC04.jpg
    myBC04.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I finally have pics of my BC.

I have neglected my hair for toooo long, :sad: I'm starting off fresh & ready for a change.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :yep:

Congratulations!:bouncy: Welcome to the natural side. :circle: I don't have any real advice because I'm newly natural as well. I'm still trying to learn how to take care of my natural hair (I haven't had a head full of natural hair in almost 30 years:sad:). My suggestions are: read this and all natural threads. They contain a lot of helpful information.:yep: Do not run out and buy every single product that's being raved about. Not every product works for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other.:yep:

What products are you using to cowash, DC, and to moisturize?

I like the look of fro-hawks but I have questions. I'm 37 y/o, do you think I'm too old for this style? What should I use to pin the sides of my hair? Side combs, barrettes, bobby pins (ouch)? My hair is uber-thick and I really want to make sure I use the right styling tools and accessories.

TIA

Platinum I love your new avatar!! Your puff is beautiful, and so big!!!

I have no advice as to how to make a fro-hawk, but I don't think that you're too old for it at all! If you figure out how to make one, please post pics!

Congratulations!:bouncy: Welcome to the natural side. :circle: I don't have any real advice because I'm newly natural as well. I'm still trying to learn how to take care of my natural hair (I haven't had a head full of natural hair in almost 30 years:sad:). My suggestions are: read this and all natural threads. They contain a lot of helpful information.:yep: Do not run out and buy every single product that's being raved about. Not every product works for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other.:yep:

What products are you using to cowash, DC, and to moisturize?

Thank you thank you :) ! I know what you mean and that's what I'm afraid of because I've been looking a lot of products for that same reason:lachen:
I don't have a regime right now but these are the products that I've been using. I ordered a few essential oils that I should be getting sometime this week.

Cowash ; TREsemme Flawless Curls Conditioner
DC ; ORS Replenishing Pak
Moisturize ; S-curl then seal with castor oil and coconut oil

'Mornin

My intro
  • BCd Nov 2009, does that still make me Newly natural ? lol
  • Umm I was 5 weeks post relaxer
  • I think Im 4b.
    • Thick stranded,
    • dense hairded
    • tighly curled,
    • severly shinkage challenged ie: hair is about 2.5 times longer than shrunken hair
    • glycerin loving,
    • easily frizzed
  • Your current regimen
    • ayurvda
    • KISS
  • Your favorite styles
    • canerows
    • twists
    • puffs
    • any combination of the above
  • Your current length and goal length
    • TWA entering puberty
  • Your photo album, if any

Thank you thank you :) ! I know what you mean and that's what I'm afraid of because I've been looking a lot of products for that same reason:lachen:
I don't have a regime right now but these are the products that I've been using. I ordered a few essential oils that I should be getting sometime this week.

Sounds good to me. If it works for you, don't change.:look: I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in to help. I'm trying to keep my regimen simple. Most of the products I'm experimenting with are old products from my relaxer days.

'Mornin

My intro
  • BCd Nov 2009, does that still make me Newly natural ? lol
  • Umm I was 5 weeks post relaxer
  • I think Im 4b.
    • Thick stranded,
    • dense hairded
    • tighly curled,
    • severly shinkage challenged ie: hair is about 2.5 times longer than shrunken hair
    • glycerin loving,
    • easily frizzed
  • Your current regimen
    • ayurvda
    • KISS
  • Your favorite styles
    • canerows
    • twists
    • puffs
    • any combination of the above
  • Your current length and goal length
    • TWA entering puberty
  • Your photo album, if any

:welcome4:

Last edited:
I keep giving myself knots because I keep "finger detangling" my hair and causing two strands to knot together at the end!!!! I cut off like 5 knots yesterday!!!! I have to stop touching my hair!!!!

Is it better to just comb every couple of days verses using my fingers to pull my coils apart? I don't want the little bit of hair I have left matting up on me but at the same time, I don't want to create knots from pulling apart coils.

How do you detangle/remove shed hairs?

Me again with another question :look:.

I'm hoping my hair will be long enough to braid by December. My question is, for those of you that braid your hair, either with or without extensions, do you straighten your hair first and if so, what straightening method do you use?

I'm hoping my hair will be long enough to braid by December. My question is, for those of you that braid your hair, either with or without extensions, do you straighten your hair first and if so, what straightening method do you use?
Good question. I did a DC Friday night and blow dried my hair just to see what it looked like. I'm doing mini pixies w/o extensions, I wear wigs.

The plan is to keep these in for 6 to 7 weeks at a time, DC once a week, cowash once a week and keep doing that until its time to take down and do it again. My hair is so uneven, its hard to corn row straight back, until it gets long enough in certain areas to do so I'm sticking with the mini pixies. I don't think I'll blowdry again though.

I'll post pics later once I finish the pixies.

I need some suggestions, I transitioned for 6 months and bc on 3/31. My hair is so dry it's ridiculous I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried all types of moisturizers and nothing works. Curl activators work for a few hours and then it's back to desert city. I can apply it at night and put my satin cap on and when I wake up it's a dry shrunken mess. I have no idea what hair type I have. Any suggestions?

Are you wearing your hair "out" every day? If so I would suggest putting in twists or braids for a few days here and there. For me, that always helped to hold in the moisture nicely.

I have no advice as to how to make a fro-hawk, but I don't think that you're too old for it at all! If you figure out how to make one, please post pics!

ITA with the bolded. She and her hair are beautiful! Way to go Platinum.

Without extensions, no need to straighten if you don't want to. With extensions I have always been asked by the braider to "lightly" blow out with a blowdryer with a comb attachment.

Are you wearing your hair "out" every day? If so I would suggest putting in twists or braids for a few days here and there. For me, that always helped to hold in the moisture nicely.

ITA with the bolded. She and her hair are beautiful! Way to go Platinum.

Without extensions, no need to straighten if you don't want to. With extensions I have always been asked by the braider to "lightly" blow out with a blowdryer with a comb attachment.

Thanks CCH24 and Hopeful! I really appreciate the compliments, especially when I get looks like :perplexed or :nono: from other sistas.

took a couple texture pics of my dry hair today with KCKT before I went swimming.

abc.jpg

DSCN0103-Copy.jpg

I like the look of fro-hawks but I have questions. I'm 37 y/o, do you think I'm too old for this style? What should I use to pin the sides of my hair? Side combs, barrettes, bobby pins (ouch)? My hair is uber-thick and I really want to make sure I use the right styling tools and accessories.

TIA

Platinum,
I'm waiting for a nice size puff to be able to rock this style, so I can't help with the styling question, but I CAN say you are NOT too old. Natural hair is about versatility and having fun!! So do it up with confidence! You can always add a flower on the side and make the middle ultra curly. Be creative with it and rock you!

Innerbeautyy,
It looks like your regimen has combatted the moisture in your co-washes. Here's my two cents of being 100% for two weeks and 3 days :lachen:. My hair was super, super dry so I've been doing overnight baggying which has helped my hair tremendously. I too am a juicer, so I do my trusty S-curl followed by Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee or Amla & Olive heavy cream and seal with Olive Oil. Works like a charm the next day, I just puff it out and go to work with soft, moisturized hair.

If you want to enhance or define your curl pattern try the Kinky Curly Curling Custard with the Kinky Curly Knot Today. They work together like a charm. That's all I have. People say we're in the easy stages with a TWA and they're right, I pat my puff and go! LOL! Congrats on your BC!

Sounds good to me. If it works for you, don't change.:look: I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in to help. I'm trying to keep my regimen simple. Most of the products I'm experimenting with are old products from my relaxer days.

*sighs* Yes, you're right. My biggest challenge is moisture because my hair is so dry so after I co-wash, I'll just put the S-curl and seal with castor oil and/or coconut oil and put on a plastic cap then place my satin bonnet over that. I'm so thankful that I found LHCF because this has changed my whole perspective of natural hair. I can't thank yall enough ladies! :hug3:

Innerbeautyy,
It looks like your regimen has combatted the moisture in your co-washes. Here's my two cents of being 100% for two weeks and 3 days :lachen:. My hair was super, super dry so I've been doing overnight baggying which has helped my hair tremendously. I too am a juicer, so I do my trusty S-curl followed by Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee or Amla & Olive heavy cream and seal with Olive Oil. Works like a charm the next day, I just puff it out and go to work with soft, moisturized hair.

If you want to enhance or define your curl pattern try the Kinky Curly Curling Custard with the Kinky Curly Knot Today. They work together like a charm. That's all I have. People say we're in the easy stages with a TWA and they're right, I pat my puff and go! LOL! Congrats on your BC!

Oh yeah, I've been baggying as well sometimes for hours on end :yep: ! When you go that does your hair stay moisturized for a long time? Hmm, I've heard a lot about KCCC and KCKT I may try that out. Thanks so much!

TIA

Platinum. I don't think you're too old for a puff. If your hair can fit, you could use a banana clip to make your puff. Otherwise the slide combs would work too. Oh and I saw where you said you were going to put ecostyler over your cantu shea butter hair. I don't recommend doing that because it has been my experience that they do not play well with each other. You'll have little white balls develop. But when I used it, the cantu was freshly applied and then ecostyler was applied on top. A big :nono:.

I keep giving myself knots because I keep "finger detangling" my hair and causing two strands to knot together at the end!!!! I cut off like 5 knots yesterday!!!! I have to stop touching my hair!!!!

Is it better to just comb every couple of days verses using my fingers to pull my coils apart? I don't want the little bit of hair I have left matting up on me but at the same time, I don't want to create knots from pulling apart coils.

How do you detangle/remove shed hairs?

To detangle your hair, try gently pulling at the ends of your hair in sections and then work your way up. Never pull your hair apart that is tangled because that does cause breakage and splits. When I detangle, it's always with my hair smothered in conditioner. I DC on dry hair under a steamer and then from there I detangle and then wash if it's wash day or do an additional cowash. This keeps me from experiencing a whole bunch of tangles and while detangling if I do come across a knot, I work it out with my fingers first. 9 times out of 10 I'm able to get it lose without hair loss.

HTH

When you BCd: March 2010

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: 2 months

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness: 4a,4b

Your current regimen: Wash once a week, DC everyother week, HO treatment the week that i dont DC, Moisturize daily and use Gel.

Your favorite styles: "Gel it up and keepin it movin!"

Your current length and goal length: Current: Short and Sassy, and Goal: Middle of Back!

Your photo album, if any: I have photos of my BC on my Profile Page!

Okay ladies here's my wig, Tammy I think is her name but I forgot who she's by. I'm gonna buy 2 more just like her. I bought this back in March I believe and I just wore it over the weekend. I normally don't buy or wear fake hair so long but I really really like this. I saw it on Mizzbrit, hope I spelled that right, and fell in love

wig.jpg

I took out my twists for a twist out. I had some MAD definition going on. I loved it. I kept them in for about 4 days or so.

May28007-vi.jpg

May28013-vi.jpg

May31033-vi.jpg

More pics in my fotki. :grin:

TIA

Platinum ... Im 35 and frohawks are my new staple.(and I work in an office, and have to go to meetings etc LOL) it all depends on how umm "hawky" u make the style. ie: how thin u make the centre

I have only done mine with braided sides. The Pic atatched is from abt 10 days ago, now that my twists have gone frizzy, I'm wearing a twist out. This was the first time doing this(wearing the "hawk" part in a twist out) with my hair at this length and well my Director kinda gave me the side eye today, but the shes very umm propper

edit: yes you could use barrets/pins/comb clips to shape the frowhawk, Ihavnt been able to get the sides looking slick enough yet though, maybe in another 3-4 or so months wen I have a bit more length

Attachments

• P5240975.jpg
    P5240975.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
*sighs* Yes, you're right. My biggest challenge is moisture because my hair is so dry so after I co-wash, I'll just put the S-curl and seal with castor oil and/or coconut oil and put on a plastic cap then place my satin bonnet over that. I'm so thankful that I found LHCF because this has changed my whole perspective of natural hair. I can't thank yall enough ladies! :hug3:

I forgot to suggest that you may want to incorporate a clarifying or chelating shampoo into your regimen as well. I would try clarifying/chelating atleast once a month to help remove product build-up. If you have too much product built-up on the hair, your moisturizers may not penetrate the hair shaft. That could leave your hair feeling dry or coated. Hope this helps!

Platinum. I don't think you're too old for a puff. If your hair can fit, you could use a banana clip to make your puff. Otherwise the slide combs would work too. Oh and I saw where you said you were going to put ecostyler over your cantu shea butter hair. I don't recommend doing that because it has been my experience that they do not play well with each other. You'll have little white balls develop. But when I used it, the cantu was freshly applied and then ecostyler was applied on top. A big :nono:.

Thanks Steph!

Platinum ... Im 35 and frohawks are my new staple.(and I work in an office, and have to go to meetings etc LOL) it all depends on how umm "hawky" u make the style. ie: how thin u make the centre

I have only done mine with braided sides. The Pic atatched is from abt 10 days ago, now that my twists have gone frizzy, I'm wearing a twist out. This was the first time doing this(wearing the "hawk" part in a twist out) with my hair at this length and well my Director kinda gave me the side eye today, but the shes very umm propper

edit: yes you could use barrets/pins/comb clips to shape the frowhawk, Ihavnt been able to get the sides looking slick enough yet though, maybe in another 3-4 or so months wen I have a bit more length

Very pretty! I like that style! I wish I could cornrow, I would love to try that style. I guess I need to check out a few youtube vids and start practicing.:yep:

Back