~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

So this is my second time growing my hair out. The first time was while I was transitioning, and I had forgotten that every couple of months I had to come up with a new method of bunning because my hair was at a new length. I reached that point yesterday. My high buns have too many hairs sticking out because my front hairs that were once a little too short to fit into the ponytail, now fit perfectly, but are too short to twist into my bun. I've moved onto a low bun with the front pieces clipped. We'll see what happens two months from now.

Also, I went to Sally's to buy new clips to hold my hair while cowashing and I walked out with some Biotera curl creme and Biotera gel. Then I went to Target and bought more Tresemme Naturals conditioner, those Goody spin pins, and some cute clips. The Target trip renewed my desire to bun until August and THEN try a wash and go, so I went BACK to Sally's to return the curl creme and gel.

PJ crisis averted. For today at least.

How often do you ladies DC? I was doing a search on youtube for WnG last night and I realize I probably need a denman brush. Until then, it'll be this hot wig. Which I forgot I have a human hair wig that looks so freaking real. Thing I love about it is that its neck length, and I can style it however I want, curly, straight, spirals, etc... I've had it for over a year and it still looks new. I'll just corn row my hair under my wig and wash in braids until I figure things out.

Oh I used my skala last night, the shea butter poo and con and I made an attempt at a WnG, major fail. so I used Cantu Shea Butter and EVOO, well my hair was soft and easy to comb through, that was a plus. I have my hair in twists right now, man I'm never doing that again at 12 in the morning, lol..

I was doing 1-2x per week, but things got really busy with us moving into our new place and I slacked off. I'm trying to get back to at least once a week. I use cholesterol with honey and evoo added. I'd like to try HSR but I need to finish some other stuff I have first.

I tried something different tonight. I shampoo'd with Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Poo (Green and white bottle. I still don't understand why they discontinued this formula. I've been in love with this shampoo for years. :love:). Then I used Suave Humectant Condish and DC'd with Lustrasilk Liquid Herbal Cholesterol. I then used my WOC activator gel and sealed with Haitian Black Castor oil. My hair is very soft but I don't have any curl definition.:sad: I think I'll use this combination again but I'll make sure that I use the Ecostyler gel as a finishing touch so I can make my curls pop.

I've noticed that my hair has grown since I've BC'd. I'm starting to believe that I'm not a slow grower, I just wasn't retaining length when I was relaxed. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxers!

I tried something different tonight. I shampoo'd with Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Poo (Green and white bottle. I still don't understand why they discontinued this formula. I've been in love with this shampoo for years. :love:). Then I used Suave Humectant Condish and DC'd with Lustrasilk Liquid Herbal Cholesterol. I then used my WOC activator gel and sealed with Haitian Black Castor oil. My hair is very soft but I don't have any curl definition.:sad: I think I'll use this combination again but I'll make sure that I use the Ecostyler gel as a finishing touch so I can make my curls pop.

I've noticed that my hair has grown since I've BC'd. I'm starting to believe that I'm not a slow grower, I just wasn't retaining length when I was relaxed. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxers!

I really think this was the case with me. My mom relaxes and does permanent color. She's been stuck at neck length/chin length for years. What are the odds I can convince her otherwise...

I can't believe how well my wash and goes are turning out!

Monday I decided to just try and throw some care free curl in there (from my sister's jheri curl days (it was all dusty :lachen:)), when I had just cowashed my hair and it was still wet.
I shook it out and when I checked on my hair an hour later I was just so amazed, the frizz at the crown and the front started to curl and the coils in the back were just as defined as when they were wet.
I gently tugged on the coils to elongate them so they would fit the shape of the rest of my hair better.

All my transition I was looking at shingling threads and methods, but turns out that won't do anything for my hair.
I'm kind of happy because this is much easier (and I was starting to think I might be hopeless). :look:

My hair looks really huge though, stepping out the door with my fro was kind of a challenge since I either wore it straight or in a bun the last few months. Now I attract attention. :lol:

I know, pics, but I'll be posting those next week. I'm going to Istanbul for a week and I'll be rocking my gigantic hair every single day! :D

Hello everyone, I'm so excited I finally did the big chop. I B'cd on May 23, 2010 I transitioned for five months. My hair type is 4a/4b, one thing I did notice after cutting my hair is that my new growth is really thick. My curls were really tight after I washed and airdried my hair I put in a little moisturizer, and I got kinky twists the next day. I have about 5-6 inches of hair on my head. I'm going to wear my kinky twists for about a month. I will post pics soon

Hello everyone, I'm so excited I finally did the big chop. I B'cd on May 23, 2010 I transitioned for five months. My hair type is 4a/4b, one thing I did notice after cutting my hair is that my new growth is really thick. My curls were really tight after I washed and airdried my hair I put in a little moisturizer, and I got kinky twists the next day. I have about 5-6 inches of hair on my head. I'm going to wear my kinky twists for about a month. I will post pics soon

Welcome and congratulations on your BC!

I really think this was the case with me. My mom relaxes and does permanent color. She's been stuck at neck length/chin length for years. What are the odds I can convince her otherwise...

I feel ya. I'm trying to convince my mom to consider transitioning as well. I've seen old pictures of her from the 70s and I think she looked so beautiful with natural hair. I'm hoping that I'll have good growth and retention this year and then she'll consider when she sees my progress. I've never seen my mother with hair longer than SL. She's diabetic, has arthitis, and severe allergies. All of the meds she's taking, along with relaxers and coloring, is wreaking havoc on her hair.:sad:

Wow your hair grows really fast MsSharee, you got 6 inches of hair growth from only 5 months of transitioning:shocked:? That is truly amazing!

Pookaloo, your siggy is killing me.:lachen::lachen:

Trying something different tonight. I'm baggying with Cantu Shea Butter leave-in (from my old PJ stash). So far so good. I tried this a few years ago but it really didn't do much for my relaxed hair.

Let us know how that works out, Platinum. I stare at that product every time I go to Target, but seeing that -cone in the ingredients list gets me every time.

My hair is doing well. Wore two buns using the spin pins today. They really do work! Tomorrow is wash day and I'm trying out the Shea Moisture deep conditioner. I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Last edited:

Congratulations and welcome to the natural side!

The Shea Moisture deep conditioner was amazing!!! I always add aloe vera gel and honey to my DC's, and I think they may have put this conditioner over the top for me. I sat under my soft bonnet dryer for about an hour and 15 minutes and when I rinsed my comb glided through my hair. I'm so happy. My only concern is the price for the size. $9.99 isn't very high, but I like to saturate my hair with product and I used over 1/3 of the jar today alone. I guess $20 a month for deep conditioner isn't terrible. We'll see.

The Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In worked great for my hair. I baggied overnight with it and my hair was soft and moisturized. It didn't make my curls "pop" but I liked the way my hair felt this morning. I'm going to try applying Ecostyler Olive oil gel over it and see if it helps define the curls. Cantu is definetely a keeper.:yep:

I forgot to mention that I'm 1 month post BC today!:yay::superbanana::woot::yahoo: I can't believe that it's been 13 months since my last relaxer. I can't wait to see how much progress I'll have at the end of the year.

i finally bought the Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel (or whatever the name is). i can't wait to try it. these flat twist only made it to day 3 before frizzing out of control. i look like i just got released. :look: :giggle:

I need some suggestions, I transitioned for 6 months and bc on 3/31. My hair is so dry it's ridiculous I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried all types of moisturizers and nothing works. Curl activators work for a few hours and then it's back to desert city. I can apply it at night and put my satin cap on and when I wake up it's a dry shrunken mess. I have no idea what hair type I have. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• hair 016.jpg
    hair 016.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 39
I need some suggestions, I transitioned for 6 months and bc on 3/31. My hair is so dry it's ridiculous I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried all types of moisturizers and nothing works. Curl activators work for a few hours and then it's back to desert city. I can apply it at night and put my satin cap on and when I wake up it's a dry shrunken mess. I have no idea what hair type I have. Any suggestions?

Hi there. When was the last time you clarified? Try using a clarifying shampoo like Suave (about $2) You may have product build-up. Do you live in a hard water area? You may need to try a chelating shampoo like Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe shampoo (about $8) to help remove product build up and mineral deposits let behind from hard water.

Hope this helps

Does anyone go to a barber regularly for shape-ups or do you just let your hair grow how it wants to? I have about 1/2-2 inches worth of natural hair (was over zealous cutting the front; couldn't distinguish the relaxed ends for the natural roots thus the 1/2 inch).

I went to the barber's today and got it shaped up and I am really happy with the results! I was looking like Buckwheat before with strands of hair sticking up all over the place here and there.

Will this one trip to the barber's be enough? Should I go every couple of weeks until my hair gets long enough to actually style (puffs, twists, braids, etc.)?

When you BCd
Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
8 months

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
I think my strands are medium sized, fairly dense, I have a bunch of coils some grow individually like in the front and on the sides and some grow in clusters, mainly at the crown; I'd say the percentage of shrinkage is like 50% and my hair is growing up for now, I don't know if it will fall once it gets longer.

Your current regimen
I have no regimen at this time :lol:. I've been using Carefree Curls and coconut oil and separating my coils to prevent knots. I haven't washed yet. I'm not sure if I want to use shampoo or do a conditioner wash.

Your favorite styles
I don't have a favorite style. I can't do much at this point but fluff it out. I'm so thankful I went to the barber's. Now I can wear my hair out instead of hiding it under a scarf. I was planning on getting braids tomorrow but I'm pretty sure my hair is way to short. Once I gain some length, I want to do braids, Senegalese twists, two strand twists and crochet braids.

Your current length and goal length
Current length is 1/2-2 inches unstretched. Goal lengths are APL unstretched and WSL straightened.

Your photo album, if any
No photo album but I did "chronicle" my BC in the pikistrip in my signature.

Congratulations on your BC, Avaya!:congrats: Welcome to the natural side! I'm sure some of the other ladies will be able to answer your questions. I haven't been to a barber since I BC'd (I did my own). I don't plan to go any time soon, I just let my hair do its thing for now.:look:

Hello ladies. I did my first ever twists/twist out a few days ago and wanted to share some pics. The quality isn't that great because I used a camera phone but its better than nothing. Have a great weekend!

IMG00082-20100413-2030.jpg

IMG00085-20100413-2031.jpg

IMG00084-20100413-2031.jpg

About a hour ago, I chopped off my hair. My transitioning was 14 months. I will post pics soon. I'm not sure about the hair type and I have no idea what my regimen will be.

Anybody in here working out everyday? Do you just let you hair air dry or do you rinse off your hair/scalp?

About a hour ago, I chopped off my hair. My transitioning was 14 months. I will post pics soon. I'm not sure about the hair type and I have no idea what my regimen will be.

Congratulations on your BC! Welcome to the natural side!:clap::yay: I can't wait to see your pics!

Back