~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I went to the BSS today to buy a DC. While I was there, I noticed a few girls trying on wigs. One of the girls looked at me like :perplexed and told the others "I couldn't go around looking like that". (Hmm...meanwhile she has chewed up ear-length hair and trying on silky straight wigs):nono: Before I could say something, a young lady walks up and asks me if I needed help finding anything. I told her that I was looking for a DC and she complimented me on my hair. While we were discussing my hair, I pulled a section of my nape that stretches almost to my collarbone. The owner (Korean lady), says "You have a lot of hair. Very pretty. Don't change it".

I just don't understand why "we" can't see the beauty of our hair but other races can.:ohwell:

Tell me about it. Funny how it's especially all of our mothers who keep commenting on how we'd look so much prettier with straight hair (to put it mildly).
I'm sure your hair looked great, Platinum, that girl is just taught to think that nonsense.

It's my 2 month nappiversary today
hula.gif

ETA I'm attempting a wash and go today. I DC'ed overnight. After rinsing out the DC I used leave in, coconut oil, then world of curls curl activator. I'll post up pics after it dries. In the meantime here are some naked texture pics
IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Last edited:
thanks platinum. now i'm trying to decide if I want to wear it out or slap on my wig

Wear it out Anew, it looks great!

So 2 things- a friend of mine at my gym just had her BC yesterday. I'm so excited for her. But understandably she's feeling a bit self conscious with having only having about an inch of hair. But she looks great. I've got a TON of products for her to try but I'll definitely recommend Suave and some oils.

The second thing- I'm DC with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Masque and olive oil. Oh my goodness, my hair is sooo soft! :grin: The masque by itself was good but wow, with some EVOO it's great! Just had to share.

Wear it out Anew, it looks great!

So 2 things- a friend of mine at my gym just had her BC yesterday. I'm so excited for her. But understandably she's feeling a bit self conscious with having only having about an inch of hair. But she looks great. I've got a TON of products for her to try but I'll definitely recommend Suave and some oils.

The second thing- I'm DC with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Masque and olive oil. Oh my goodness, my hair is sooo soft! :grin: The masque by itself was good but wow, with some EVOO it's great! Just had to share.

After I use up some of my products I will get some of this Shea Moisture. I've been hearing great things about it

thanks platinum. now i'm trying to decide if I want to wear it out or slap on my wig

Wear it out. Your hair is beautiful :yep:.

Yes, I have been lurking in this thread. I will be joining you officially in July :grin:!!!

Foxglove--Your hair looks great!

I went to the BSS today to buy a DC. While I was there, I noticed a few girls trying on wigs. One of the girls looked at me like :perplexed and told the others "I couldn't go around looking like that". (Hmm...meanwhile she has chewed up ear-length hair and trying on silky straight wigs):nono: Before I could say something, a young lady walks up and asks me if I needed help finding anything. I told her that I was looking for a DC and she complimented me on my hair. While we were discussing my hair, I pulled a section of my nape that stretches almost to my collarbone. The owner (Korean lady), says "You have a lot of hair. Very pretty. Don't change it".

I just don't understand why "we" can't see the beauty of our hair but other races can.:ohwell:
Your hair is indeed pretty but to be honest, I wouldn't lend too much credence to the compliments of a person who's selling me something (related to the very thing which they're complimenting me on). That being said, I'm not one of these people who thinks it's impossible for others to genuinely find our hair beautiful. Many of "us" find it beautiful too. Conversely, lots of "them" don't see the beauty either but, unlike those of "us" (esp. black mothers) who don't find it beautiful, "they" aren't positioned/allowed/vested in voicing their opinion of our hair. I don't think not seeing the beauty of our hair is wholly or exclusively a "black" thing, it's an attitude that tends to be found among certain generational/socioeconomic/cultural subsets of the black community.

Anyways, if you ever truck through NY in the spring/summer, you should swing by Brooklyn, specifically near Habana Outpost on Fulton Street - lots of black folk recognizing and showcasing the beauty of all types of natchal hair.:grin:

Yayy, now I get to join you guys! :yay:

I've been wanting to since day one this thread went up. :look:
:woot: Welcome!

here's a side view, one month post BC
View attachment 67662
Beautiful! Of course, I would vote for "wear it out". Whichever works best for you, your hair goals and your regimen is what you should choose. And you can always switch things up - wear wigs during the week and wear your hair out on the weekends.

It's my 2 month nappiversary today
hula.gif

ETA I'm attempting a wash and go today. I DC'ed overnight. After rinsing out the DC I used leave in, coconut oil, then world of curls curl activator. I'll post up pics after it dries. In the meantime here are some naked texture pics
Lovely! That smiley is too cute!

Did a twist out yesterday:
000_0099-vi.jpg

I love the coiled ends look of twists and twist-outs but was never sure to how to achieve it (even though my hair naturally coils on it own). Anyways, now I twirl my strands as I twist them and when I get to the end of the twist, I twirl it around my finger. This way, my ends don't look look janky and there's less of a need to set them on curlers or rods.

I baggied with Wild Growth Hair Oil last night. My hair is so soft today with less shrinkage than usual. I'm going to cowash today and probably use it again to when I do my wash and go. I think I'm going to make this a staple.:yep:

When you BCd- May 11th 2010- Was suppose to wait at least till June actually wasnt going to go natural until i got a little older but I got excited a little early lol; I was the one saying please I can acheive long healthy hair relaxed- which I still believe but I'm just so amazed at all the beautiful naturall heads- the curls the length and so i figured why not, its only hair it will grow back and if I cant manage then I will go back to the creamy crack :grin:
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd- 3 mths
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness- have no idea how to figure out my hair type wont even try :nono:- the characteristics however are little coils more around the middle of my hair and a little looser around the perimeter- all seem to be growing out- all just really looks a hot mess to me right now- but I like playing with the coils :look: still looks like I have some relaxed ends to cut off
Your current regimen- co-wash 3-4 times a week ( I love washing my hair actually cant keep my hands out of it these days :spinning:), spray two-types of leave-in's, juice (African Braid Sheen Spray or S-Curl) then add some Shea butter; daily I spray with water, juice then add some shea butter
Your favorite styles- at home I have it out when I go out I mostly wrap with different color scarves; I've done a quick weave using morning glory as a protection- lol yes worked out well and I also rock wigs
Your current length and goal length- currently TWA goal length???? I would be happy with SL full natural hair anything longer would be mind-blowing :drunk:
Your photo album, if any- no photo album, but starting pics below (sorry if any are fuzzy) oh yeah and dont mind the braids lol like I said cant seem to keep my hands out my head these days

Cant wait to see my baby sisters curls, who also may be BC soon- she sometimes hijacks my acct on here :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Natural 1.jpg
    Natural 1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Natural 2.jpg
    Natural 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Natural 3.jpg
    Natural 3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Natural 4.jpg
    Natural 4.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Natural 5.jpg
    Natural 5.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
^oh forgot to fill that out:

When you BCd
May 20th 2010 :drunk:

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
19 moths.

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
3c at the front, 4a at the sides and the back and some kind of frizz at the crown. Medium strands, medium density (maybe somewhat on the lower side).

Your current regimen
Cowashing, moisturizing with a conditioner and sealing with an oil.

Your favorite styles
I'm hoping to master a wash and go! But my nape and back of my hair shrinks up sooo bad that it looks a little :ohwell: compared to the rest of my head.. Any tips?

Your current length and goal length
SL or CB? Goal length is APL unstretched! *dreams off*

Hey Grand Prix (also known as hair twin)!

I'm totally with you on the wash and goes! The back of my hair is more 3c, and is the only part of my hair that actually curls as opposed to the frizz and waves that I have from my ears up. I'm going to give myself until the end of the summer before I even attempt a wash and go because I won't wear it if I don't like how it's hanging.

Let me know if you figure something out!!

I'll finally be able to officially participate in this thread this weekend. I paid a ton of money for these twists but they're coming out after only 4.5 weeks. My roots have started to twist, I guess that's how my hair grows if that makes sense. Plus since my hair is so short you can see pieces coming through the twists, not flattering at all. I bought a cute wig yesterday, lol.. So I can't wait to wear it

I'll be posting pics this weekend

Don't feel bad. My twists did the exact same thing. It got to the point where it was somewhat painful because it was twisting at the root so tightly. When I took them out about 5 weeks later, I BC'd.

In other news, I made 1 month naturalversary on May 22nd!!:happydance:
I currently have my hair in small to medium sized twists and I absolutely love them. I'll try to remember to post pics when I get home.

Congrats to all the new BC'ers, MadisonK and Grand Prix. Congrats to you too Foxglove!

Welcome Blkrose.

In regards to this, by the end of the day my hair was still extremely soft and moisturized. I have come to the conclusion that i can't use any of those butter type moisturizers. I am going to stick strictly to conditioner or the KCKT for leave in. I am also cutting shampoo out of my regimine except for using Suave clairifying like once a month.

As a result I have so much product now I need to get rid of :( I just received the Shea-Alma Whipped Butter Creme from Afroveda that i used probably a quarter sized amount of, and Blended Beauty Curl Styling Butter which i also used about a quarter sized amount of :sad:. Think I'll post these in the other forum for selling stuff. I also have more than a half jar of Mizani Butter Rich Deep Nourishing Hairdress :nono: Total PJ :perplexed

so i have to say the pantene curly treatment is a definite keeper. made my hair so soft and bouncy. i love it!! i used the KCKT last night and baggied my head and my hair is very very very soft. so far so good, we'll see what my hair feels like by the end of the day.

steph how many months post were you before your BC? useless info btw, your screen name has both my name and my first cousins middle name in it, lol..

so yeah, do you ladies use anything to define curls? i have those s strands, but you can't tell b/c its like all compact or something. i can't explain it.

Have you checked out any of the YT on how to define the curls. I would link em for you but I'm at work and everything YT is blocked. I think most things will work (gels, conditioners, etc) to define its just a matter of technique and how you want your hair to feel after, because I HATE cruncy hard hair, so condish works well.

steph how many months post were you before your BC? useless info btw, your screen name has both my name and my first cousins middle name in it, lol..

so yeah, do you ladies use anything to define curls? i have those s strands, but you can't tell b/c its like all compact or something. i can't explain it.

I can't believe i didn't think of YT. Its blocked at my job too. I have the ecostyler gel, I'll see what I can do b/c I'm not with this wig in Florida heat

Hi Anew.:hiya2: Love meeting other Steph's out there. :)) I was 13 mths when I BC'd. Also a few pages back I mentioned how I use curl activator gel underneath ecostyler gel to define and soften/set curls. Love this combo. You can also put an essential oil or natural oil on top for added shine like orange oil or even CO.
HTH!

steph i hope you mind this is my last question (for now) lol

what technique do you use? i'm gonna youtube tonight at home, but is there anything special you do

i foolishly thought if i just put the stuff on my hair, voila.. curl definition

lol

I'm about to be joining you ladies...BC will be next weekend, while I'm in NYC.

That's great news, Sis! I can't wait to see your pics!:bouncy:

Hi Anew.:hiya2: Love meeting other Steph's out there. :)) I was 13 mths when I BC'd. Also a few pages back I mentioned how I use curl activator gel underneath ecostyler gel to define and soften/set curls. Love this combo. You can also put an essential oil or natural oil on top for added shine like orange oil or even CO.
HTH!

I second the bolded!:yep: I tried this after StephElise made her post and I've been doing it ever since.:grin:

Back