~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I'm back on Ayurvedic cowashes.:yep: I can't believe I stopped doing this! My hair is so strong. I'm not having any problems with midshaft splits or SSKs now. I'm going to stock up on more powders and oils when I get home tomorrow.

A better picture! I did a wash and go with miss jessie's curly pudding and stretched a piece.

Last edited:
I've been wigging it for the last...ummm week? I think? so i'm in some twists underneath. I cowashed them and moisturized last night.

Cute ponytail.. Did you do anything special to get the curls like that.. They just popped in when you detangled your hair

Thanks! I didn't do anything really. I wore a wash n go Sunday to my bridal shower and just cowashed yesterday like normal and put on some leave in before slapping on a headband. That's how it looked after it dried.

Hey ladies! I've been gone for a looong time but I'm back and still natural! I straightened out my hair last month (in siggie) I'm officially SL and on my way to APL hopefully by December. I'll be posting my pics of my hair in a few weeks at 18 months post relaxer.

I tried an old favorite of mine today, the gelled bun. I got tons of compliments today. I cowashed with trader joes nourish spa, left some of the conditioner in, and slicked my hair back with ecostyler gel. I used marley kinky twist hair for the ponytail. I used MsTanish1's tutorial found here http://youtu.be/Oqncg_9xOec

Now for some pics
IMG_1304-1.jpg
IMG_1301-1.jpg

IMG_1300-1.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg

Last edited:
:spinning:

I've been so lazy with my hair, I have it in these chunky twists now:

It's a little frustrating that I can't get a decent puff on my stretched hair anymore, I'm going to try a bantu knot out in a couple of weeks, I'll definitely post pictures :)

Thanks MG! When are you posting some updates? We're waiting :grin:

Was having a rough hair week. I find that I no longer have the patience to sit and twist my hair in small-medium twists anymore. they take way too long! Back to chunky twists/twistouts. Glad you ladies are doing well :)

MummysGirl Wow look how long your hair is!!

I did another henna treatment overnight. I mixed the henna powder with hot water and let it sit in a warm area for an hour or so. Then I added a few squirts of the joico protein DC (I forget the name) and applied the henna and left it overnight. I'm sitting with a moisture DC in right now

So I did an updo from a twist and curl the other day. I posted these in the Everyday hair thread also.

Nice twist MG and love the bun Fox

So I did an updo from a twist and curl the other day. I posted these in the Everyday hair thread also.

Nice twist MG and love the bun Fox

I love these SE! I'll have to try this when it gets a little cooler (thanks to the humidity every style ends up looking the same by the end of the day)

Some texture shots. All I did after the henna is a wash n go with shea moisture curl and style milk
IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324-1.jpg

ETA in the first pic you can see I got a little heat damage from when I got my hair straightened for a friend's wedding. I'll trim it off slowly

Last edited:
Hey ladies!! I was having trouble getting moisture. But now that i've learned more about natural hair, it's doing well! I've learned that trims are essential, and not to compare the "feel" of my natural hair to the way my relaxed hair felt. I'm all good now. I've cut a few times, but I still managed to keep some hair!:lol:

The first picture is from my BC in jauary. The second and third, and fourth pictures is from TODAY. My edges are growing back too! Yayy!:grin:

Last edited:
*CherryPie* nice progress!!! Look at you showin' a puff already! :grin:

Foxglove you too! You do know I feel like reaching for a comb to comb out your texture shots, don'tcha? :giggle: Love the bun shots!

MummysGirl, whatchu talkin' bout Willis? If TWA head can get a puff, what do you mean you can't? *side eye*

StephElise you are just glam personified, you wanna-be-40-sth-lookin'-like-you-could-be-my-daughter self.

Hey ladies!! I was having trouble getting moisture. But now that i've learned more about natural hair, it's doing well! I've learned that trims are essential, and not to compare the "feel" of my natural hair to the way my relaxed hair felt. I'm all good now. I've cut a few times, but I still managed to keep some hair!:lol:

The first picture is from my BC in jauary. The second and third, and fourth pictures is from TODAY. My edges are growing back too! Yayy!:grin:

thanks for the link pie! i was starting to think you were in-cog-negro up in here! so the porosity issues are in check? i see you chunky-fro looking all luscious and moisturized! :yep::lick: ... is that slight tent from henna? looks so healthy... and did you use jbco on the edges?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT ,

:lol: Thanks girl!!!

That's Dark and Lovely permanent hair color in 400 medium brown. It didn't take well because my porosity was too low at the time. It actually helped onpen the cuticles though.:yep:.

Yes, I used JBCO on the edges. But, once I stopped relaxing my hair, it started growing back on it's own!:yep:

thanks for the link pie! i was starting to think you were in-cog-negro up in here! so the porosity issues are in check? i see you chunky-fro looking all luscious and moisturized! :yep::lick: ... is that slight tent from henna? looks so healthy... and did you use jbco on the edges?

@StephElise I love your pin-up! I always wanted to try something like that. Do you just tuck and pin?

-PYT Yes that's exactly what I did after unravelling the twists. I just sort of recoiled them back and pinned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PrC51Dr7A

Nonie You are cracking me up and thank you. I'm telling ya, 40 has never felt or looked better. I have no complaints what so eva!

Foxglove this updo actually holds up REALLY well in humidity although it has been hot as all get out here in Texas. It's lasted pretty good with little manipulation. I will be rocking this often in the winter I think.

I'm thinking about going back to braids or Senegalese twists for a while. I'm in a constant battle with shrinkage.:wallbash::wallbash: Most of my hair grows up and out but my nape is the only area that grows down. I braid my hair before going to bed but I'm still dealing with crazy shrinkage.:angry2: My mom suggested that I use a texturizer to loosen my curl pattern and reduce/eliminate shrinkage but that defeats the whole purpose of being natural.:sad: I have already tried coconut and lime, and the yogurt mixes but my hair laughs at it. Any suggestions? I don't want to go back to chemicals.

Platinum Do you wet it nightly when you braid it? I never really paid attention to shrinkage so I'm not sure how to quell it. Maybe you could try blowdrying with the tension method to stretch your curls after you wash? HTH

Platinum Do you wet it nightly when you braid it? I never really paid attention to shrinkage so I'm not sure how to quell it. Maybe you could try blowdrying with the tension method to stretch your curls after you wash? HTH

I use African Royale braid spray to moisturize (and sometimes Surge 14 for protein), seal with JBCO, and braid every night.

@Platinum Do you wet it nightly when you braid it? I never really paid attention to shrinkage so I'm not sure how to quell it. Maybe you could try blowdrying with the tension method to stretch your curls after you wash? HTH

Yeah Platinum, I was thinking if you incorporate a little heat to stretch your hair that this would help with the shrinkage some. As long as your hair can handle it and it doesn't cause splits, this might work well for you.

Platinum I have 3 suggestions.Another vote for using a little heat. I was surprised at how much more length I had when I blowdried before doing a braid/twistout. Another way you could do it is braid/twist it up at night then in the morning when you remove them blowdry the roots to stretch them out. Plan 3 is use a touch of gel when you braid your hair up at night. It took me a few tries before I figured out how much gel was enough to give me hold but not leave my hair too hard. Hopefully one or a couple of these can help fight shrinkage

Back