~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

NJoy

Your daughter is so beautiful...and look at all that thick, gorgeous hair!! I love that first pic!! My oldest DD is BSL stretched too and I use Shea Moisture Hair Milk about 2 xs per week and African Royale Braid Spray daily to keep her hair moisturized. I also detangle her hair with a cheapie conditioner, braid, and then wash and condition her hair in those same braids. Wash time is no longer scream time in my house, thank goodness.

@NJoy Your daughter is such a cutie pie. She looks like she loves her hair.:yep: How is the Afro Detangler working for her hair?

Platinum

So far, Afro Detangler is working great on her hair. And OH! she LOVES her hair. So, I'm very happy about that.

I tried to do a twist out that next day but, the chunky sections on top were still pretty damp in the morning. I think that's because she's a sweaty head at night. The smaller twists on the perimeter of her head turned out really well. So, I told her we'll have to try smaller twists over the weekend. But for now, she goes to school with a big, juicy puff and a twistout bang. Too cute.

Thanks for all the compliments, ladies. We really appreciate them. :yep:

Here's a small update... The first pic is my BC pic take 4/18/2010
4/18/2010
hair0.jpg

this was taken last week, just towel dried hair after a shampoo
hair-1.jpg

these were taken today, found a new style on youtube
hair1.jpg

hair2.jpg

and this is today, I combed it all out for my mom to cornrow it. back in a wig tomorrow
hair4.jpg

hair3.jpg

Since the weather is changing, I'm thinking about going back to braids for a while. I'm thinking either micros or Senegalese Twists. It's going to get too cold for wash and go's soon.

Hi ladies! It's been a while. I did another full henna application this weekend. I swear I get the best braidouts the first couple of weeks after a henna application

ETA pics
IMG_1338.jpg

It looks blacker to me this time around. I got this batch of henna from an Indian friend and it was a lot darker than any I've used before. I think my hair was darker too afterwards

IMG_1342.jpg

Outside in the sunlight

Last edited:
Hello Ladies. Loving all the updates!!:yep:
I found the best gel that made my twists moist and glossy with a great hold and no flaking. Plus I wore them for a whole week with no need to retwist. Normally I feel the need to refresh twists after 3 days. The fuzz was very minimal. It yielded me the best twistout ever with no seperation needed. I'm an ecostyler junkie for real, but this new gel has me wanting to toss all my eco to the recycle bin.:blush: Any who here are the pics.

Fresh twists

Resulting twistout.

Third day same twistout with NO retwisting needed!

And this is my new favorite gel.

HELP!!!! Dry crunchy blow out. What happend? Deep conditioned (yogurt honey aloe Vera juice) washed. Shea moisture as a styled and leave in. Grape seed oil as heat protectant. What did I do wrong. Ends are beady. Did I cause Heat damage?:perplexed:nono:

HELP!!!! Dry crunchy blow out. What happend? Deep conditioned (yogurt honey aloe Vera juice) washed. Shea moisture as a styled and leave in. Grape seed oil as heat protectant. What did I do wrong. Ends are beady. Did I cause Heat damage?:perplexed:nono:

Did you blow out on high heat? simplyme1985 aloe vera juice makes my hair crunchy every.single.time. Maybe that's it. Plus I blow dry on low with the tension method.

I think I'm going to try a flat twist out again, but this time with conditioner. The first time I did it I used MJ Curly Pudding and it turned out ok, but it lasted like one day.

Hi ladies! It's been a while. I did another full henna application this weekend. I swear I get the best braidouts the first couple of weeks after a henna application

ETA pics
IMG_1338.jpg

It looks blacker to me this time around. I got this batch of henna from an Indian friend and it was a lot darker than any I've used before. I think my hair was darker too afterwards

IMG_1342.jpg

Outside in the sunlight

Foxglove Beautiful, can you please post your henna recipe.

Last edited:
I'm home this weekend. Tonight, I'm going to prep my hair for braids. I'm thinking about clarifying with Bentonite Clay, do a henna treatment, then DC overnight.

Foxglove Beautiful, can you please post your henna recipe.

Thanks! For a regular henna application I mix the henna with just water, leave it in for minimum 4 hours, normally overnight, then I always follow up with a moisture DC with aubrey organics honeysuckle rose mixed with raw honey. I try to do a full henna every 1-2 months.
For a henna gloss I add a couple of tablespoons of henna to conditioner and let it sit in like a regular DC. With the gloss you still get the benefits of henna but application is way less messy and you don't have to deal with that right after henna hard hair feeling. ETA depending on which conditioner I mix the henna with and how my hair feels I may or may not DC afterwards

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a bit but I've been trying more dry twistouts these days. I blow my hair out and twist using Curls whipped cream or Curls souffle. I was skyping with my friend and took a snapshot so the quality isn't great but here's what it looks like:

Snapshot_20111010.jpg

And here's my 'flat ironed' hair the other day with the humidity, yeah, I was not amused :lol:

SU1HLTIwMTEwOTI3LTAwMzQ5LmpwZw.jpg

* When you BCd
-24th January

* How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
-2.5 months post

* Have you been natural before? When?
-up until I was 13, i was natural. I also was naturl for a year in college

* Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
-4a/b mix. fine, dense, crazy shrinkage, a mixture of s's and o's, grows up but is starting to hang a bit now

* Your current regimen
-cowash daily with tresemme naturals, dc 1-2x weekly, baggy nightly, poo 1x week

* Your favorite styles
-wash and go's, puffs, twist extensions

* Your current length and goal length
-current length= neck length at nape, ear length in middle and sides and nose length (lol) at the front

I ended up getting Tree Braids the other day and I love the style. It took less time than micros. Unfortunately, the girl braided my hair too tight so I'm going to have to take them out.:sad: I was hoping to be able to get a load to go back home so i could go back to the braid shop and have her to redo it but I haven't been able to get back. I hate throwing away that kind of money but I can't deal with the pain and I don't want to start losing my hair.

Here's a pic that I took with my phone. I love it but it's tight.:wallbash: Ah well, hopefully my scalp will recover quick and I'll be able to get them again.

Attachments

• tree braids Oct. 11.jpg
    tree braids Oct. 11.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 75
Platinum that looks good! I want some now! Dammit!

Do you have to take them out? Is there a way you can get them loosened from another salon? Ot looks really good for you to take them out!

Platinum that looks good! I want some now! Dammit!

Do you have to take them out? Is there a way you can get them loosened from another salon? Ot looks really good for you to take them out!

Thanks Pook! I've tried spraying my scalp with water, baggying, wetting it in the shower, but it still seems a little too tight. I really don't want to take them out but I need some relief. I might be able to find another shop this weekend. My friend loves it. He likes my natural hair but he's really feeling this style.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks Pook! I've tried spraying my scalp with water, baggying, wetting it in the shower, but it still seems a little too tight. I really don't want to take them out but I need some relief. I might be able to find another shop this weekend. My friend loves it. He likes my natural hair but he's really feeling this style.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

The only think I would say it wet it, but you did that already.. :ohwell:

Hello all :grin:! Newbie to the forum here and fellow "newly natural." Here's my story (I apologize for the fact that I go on and on :yawn:):

When you BCd: July 4th, 2011 (Yup. Pretended the fireworks were for me.)

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: A week shy of eleven months

Have you been natural before? When?
My first relaxer was when I was 4 (*gasp, I know), so I consider the first time I went "natural" when I transitioned as an 11 year old. I think my mother felt guilty about relaxing (texlaxing rather) me at such a young age, so she began to just straighten my hair with a hot comb after each wash. Unfortunately, my mother got sick when I was 15 and was no longer able to tend to my hair so I got a relaxer again. During that period my hair was heat trained to a slight wave so I never saw my natural texture during this time...I still don't know if this counts as having been natural before.

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness:
I am medium all around: medium density, medium thickness. My hair is also VERY low porosity, mostly grows down save the very front which is slightly finer than the rest of my hair (looser curl also). I guess I'd be a perfect split between half a head of 3c and 4a.

Your current regimen: Wash 2x a month with Giovanni 50:50 Moisturizing Shampoo, Co-wash 2x a week with Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner, Deep Condition 1x a week with Aubrey Organics White Camellia (dry dc overnight), KCKT as my leave in, Oyin Shine and Define for Twist Outs/Braid Outs. No I don't remoisturize in between and it works so far. Why all the Oyin: What can I say? I live close enough to the Oyin store and their products make me hair feel like butter. I am still open to experimenting so, for example, today I toyed with Giovanni's smooth as silk deep conditioner, but this system does not fail.

Your favorite styles: Twist Out! and braid outs. Wash and Gos are too much work (ironically). I think that when my hair grows longer I'll definitely be a protective style queen. I used to LIVE in buns 24/7.

Your current length and goal length: I'm approaching SL and yearn for MBL

Thanks for reading. I look forward to sharing progress on this journey with all of you! I've attached a photo of my first wash and go with KCCC in August--it was a mess, but a testament to my newly naturalness.

Attachments

• Photo 193.jpg
    Photo 193.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 45
Hey ladies,

This is me before I BC'd...
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...461383135_707663134_11064773_1781087207_n.jpg

Here's my twa.... I BC'd in July 10, 2011.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...551558135_707663134_11155727_1212886999_n.jpg

Here's a texture shot although I'm not too sure what my type is...:nono: hair typing is so confusing :spinning:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...551233135_707663134_11155724_2090252136_n.jpg

Love it!! Congrats on your BC!!!

Back