~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

@Platinum

Banding method also helps with stretching natural hair.. After you wash your hair do the banding method and let it dry you might want to do that over the weekend to give it time to dry. This particular female on this video wears her hair out after using the banding method and its a cute style..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyw46M2rl9M

Oh yeah I forgot about banding. If you braid/twist your hair at night try banding the braids/twists. That helps also helps with stretch

Thanks Foxglove and LadyMacgyver . I think banding may be the solution to what I need. I was braiding at night but I think banding will allow my hair to stay stretched longer. I'm really trying to avoid heat.

Thanks for the link to the video LadyMacgyver. I'm going to try this using the same products this lady used. Hopefully, I'll get the same results.

I haven't combed my hair since May! I am now split end free! :yahoo:

Annnddd I think I have finally found the product combo that leaves my hair feeling soft and moisturized for days: Diluted Aloe Vera Juice as a spritz, Taliah Waajid PMB, and Shea Moisture CES layered on top.

My hair stays in twists. My plan is to redo this set every 1-3 weeks until next Spring :drunk:

I airdried with curlformers over the weekend and my curls were elongated :yay: but poofy at the ends. :ohwell: Cute but not worthy to wear in public. So I sprayed lightly with water, moisturized, sealed, twisted into 8 sections and used satin curlers at the end and OMG my twistout was finally desirable IMO. :gorgeous: I moisturized/sealed two days later and my twists had shrinkage. Either way, I'm highly impressed with curlformers as a means of prepping for twistouts. :yep:

Washing my hair today & attempting to style it. Fingers crossed.....I did 2strand twists and they were very cute. My hair is growing and I can tell from looking at pics of my twists from May & June versus now.

I recently got straightened and did a trim. I'm about 6 inches all around. I will probably end up doing one more round of box braids to finish out this year. My hair is very healthy and I think I've finally nailed my regimen so now I just have to maintain and be consistent.

Last edited:
im also washing today. I'll do my hair growth regime today and baggy. I need a new aloe vera mixture spray. The last one I made I put in some shea butter and it solidified and no bueno. The shea moisture curl smoothie really does form those curls. I cant even lay my hairs down anymore they are now in a "c" curl pattern. I think I will lay off for the time being,because those little curls are starting to look like.."every pea for itself".

my under the hood dryer broke. I miss it. I wonder should I get another one or buy a steamer? anyone?

My mini twists put into a updo.

DSCN1631.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in here in a while but all is well with my hair. Its growing very nicely:grin:. I've noticed that as it gets longer/bigger it curls up more and the curls don't seem as tight as they were when I first BC after my 14 month transition.

I'm still protective styling, by doing braidouts, twistouts, buns, updos...and my half-wig:spinning:. I have to keep it stretched or it will get very tangled and the ends will get those single strand knots. :nono:

I haven't posted pics because Fotki is blocked at my job now and its the place where I take most pics and upload them. I'll have to find time to do it at home. I'm at Month 27 (time since last relaxer) and Month 13 (time since BC) :drunk:

Last edited:
HI Beauties! I haven't been in here lately but you all are in my thoughts. Hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I'd come through with some of my random hair thoughts. My 1 year naturaversary is coming up and I am SUPER excited about it. My mama is even talking abou transitioning *say what now?!?!?* Anywho....on with it.

Missing you: My steamer is in storage (we moved) and I miss her TERRIBLY. I haven't done a DC since Auguest 19th. If we don't close on a house soon so I can get back tight with my boo, Imma be a unhappy wife.

Hair: I need to color my hair because this gray is NOT cute. I might do it this weekend but ONLY the front. That's where the gray is and I don't feel like doing my WHOLE head.

Hair 2: All I wear is WNGs and puffs. I was tired of it but now as long as it looks good, I am fine. It's growing but honestly you can't really tell because of shrinkage. But honestly I don't care because I loooove being natural.

I have been heat free since the day I did my BC and I have NO desires to straighten my hair. I packed my hair dryer because I KNEW I would have no use for it. YES'SU!!!

Products: My friend has a new haircare line called JMarie Natural Beauty www.facebook.com/JmarieNaturalBeauty and it's FABULOUS. She sent me samples and I am in LOOOOOVE with her Curl Boost Butter and Orange Healing Butter. I haven't been using anything but these products.

HE Hello Hydration is forever in my heart. lol I literally feel like I can throw all my other co-washing condish away and only keep HE HH. She never fails me.

I am really considering selling and/or giving away all my products other than the STAPLES. I feel like I know what works (for the most part) and I am tried of trying stuff just to be trying it. The PJ in me is slowing going into hiding.

I've been doing some experimentation with wash and go's this weekend.

Yesterday I cowashed and detangled in my usual four sections. I took one section down, applied a little curl junkie smoothing lotion, separated it into fourths, smoothed some queen helene sculpting gel into each mini section, and then applied a little curl junkie curls in a bottle over the quartered section. I did this for each of the four sections of my hair. I loved the way it looked wet, but when it dried it was a little bushy for my personal tastes.

Today I cowashed and detangled and had my hair in the same four sections. I applied a little smoothing lotion like I had done the day before. When I separated a section into fourths I used carefree curl lite gel activator, then I applied a little queen helene sculpting gel to the section as a whole, followed by a little curls in a bottle. It seems like a lot of product but it worked for my hair fabulously.

I have found that in order to not get single strand knots or have hair that's too big for my tastes I really need to set my curl.

The first two pictures are from yesterday's wash and go: wet, and dry.

The last two pictures are from today: wet, and dry.

I really think you can tell the difference. My hair is going to shrink up and get bigger, but if it already has volume when it's wet, I know that it will be HUGE when it dries.

Last edited:
Hi ladies, I just found this thread. I am finally natural. Well...almost. I have a little texturized hair around the perimeter. I had planned to transition and trim, but apparently I was off the mark. Long story short, I BC'd yesterday, at 3mos post. I have some really short sections and I don't want to cut down to a Caesar, so I'm getting some synthetic box braids to grow out a little bit. My texture seems to be about a 4z and I have alot of shrinkage. I don't know which products will give me a little moisture, and I have soo much to learn. I am going to read this whole thread seeking advice. please feel free to share any advice u may have for me. :)

I'm 18 months post relaxer!!!!! This is when I was planning on BCing but I'm so glad I couldn't hold out. I love my hair too much.

Previous mini twists done July 1st:
IMAG0027.jpg

Set I just did on Sept 16th:
IMAG0118.jpg

I see progress! Glad you ladies are doing well :)

Pics of my hair.....it was a braidout but it always puffs up into a fluffy black cloud :spinning:. The last pic is my Fro :afro:.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 64
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 62
  • p3.jpeg
    p3.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 62
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 63
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
How did I forget? I cut off my relaxed ends one year ago! Woot, woot!!

:woot::dance7::band2::band::bdance::bdance::thewave::bouncy::headspin::headspin::headspin:

I am now 28 months post relaxer! No complaints...just loving my hair. My regimen hasn't changed much, except that I now henna once a month. I have been wearing braid outs, bantu knot outs and twist outs all summer. I will being doing more PSing in buns and updos this winter. My hair is just past 12 inches after two 1 inch trims and my hair seems to be healthy.

Here is my most recent pic below. Keep growing everyone!

Attachments

• P9080649a.jpg
    P9080649a.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 68
Hi mrsjohnson75 - Your hair's looking GREAT! Looks very much like mine :yep:

I think I've figured my hair out now. I can't achieve great puffs on my dry stretched hair but if my hair is still damp (and still shrinking), then it gets puffy.

:lachen:

Seriously @Nonie, my puffs just hang! I tried one today... ended up putting my hair up in a bun. I think it's because the back half is much longer than the front. I'll take a picture the next time I try it.

MummysGirl, this hair can make a puff, in fact if you comb that out, you'll get a puff.

Of course if you're gonna stretch it out, because of length, it'll flop. And of course if you make a puff with dripping wet hair full of goo it'll flop. But apply S Curl or some moisturizer to freshly washed hair to provide slip so you can comb through and you'll get a puff.

If wavezcurlz with her wavy curls can make a puff, trust me, you with your kinks can make a puff as the day is long.

I do puffs on bantu-knot outs now because my braidout puffs sometimes flop too. The bantu-knot out puffs look like spiral curls and look really cute when I do a high puff.

Hi @mrsjohnson75 - Your hair's looking GREAT! Looks very much like mine :yep:

I think I've figured my hair out now. I can't achieve great puffs on my dry stretched hair but if my hair is still damp (and still shrinking), then it gets puffy.

Everyone's hair is doing so well! I'll be three years post relaxer in a few weeks and I chopped all of my relaxed ends off in March 2010 so I don't really feel newly natural but I'm enjoying watching everyone else's progress!

I got great second day hair today! I'm still bunning during the week but wash and going on the weekends. I slept in my sue maesta hooded band (going down my back instead of upwards in a pineapple) and my hair was perfect when I woke up. I just kind of shook it and kept moving. I probably could have gotten three day hair but... I want to style my hair again in the morning to see if this was a fluke.

ETA: I realize it's weird to have my face in my avatar picture but block my face out in my other pictures. I wouldn't edit them if I could manage to take a picture without making a strange face. :look:

Last edited:
I just BC'd my 11 yr old last night and she's in love! Um...now what?

Today I'm washing, DC's and doing chunky twists for a twistout or possible frohawk for school tomorrow. I'm watching youtube videos like crazy to get ideas but, I don't know anything about natural hair. That said, I'm parking myself in this thread and appreciate all the info shared and any suggestions you want to throw my way.

Here's what we're working with: (sorry so big)

2011-09-24223858.jpg

2011-09-25132319.jpg

2011-09-24223844.jpg

2011-09-24223909.jpg

I spent a little time plucking thru it to find any straight ends that I missed last night. She loves it out and isn't interested in having any of it braided.

I'm using Afro Detangler to do her twists tonight. Oh, and she's BSL stretched. *sigh* I hope her hair turns out nice tomorrow. There's nothing worse than a middle school girl going to school with a hairstyle that she doesn't like. :nono: Help me, Lawid.

so ill be joining you guys may 18 2012, i Know that is a while off but im counting down the days till this relaxer is gone!!!

Back