~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Platinum What made you love senegalese twists and not kinky twists? Were there drawbacks to kinky twists for you? Did you just like the look of senegalese twists better?

Platinum What made you love senegalese twists and not kinky twists? Were there drawbacks to kinky twists for you? Did you just like the look of senegalese twists better?

andromeda I like Senegalese twists more because the hair used for the KT's seem to irritate my skin (it's kind of itchy in my opinion). The Kanekalon hair used for the ST's was softer and didn't irritate. Also, my braiders usually made the ST's longer than the KT's.

I'm considering installing kinky twists myself. I have some concerns:
washing/cowashing/dcing - frizziness
matting of real hair and fake hair
fake hair drying out or shredding real hair (i have fine strands)
weight on edges

Any tips from those who've worn them before? Platinum StephElise Foxglove and othee who have experience with extension twists (kinky/senegalese/etc) Feel free to also share your routines, self-installation tips and what you do to keep the frizzies at bay.

I've had and love both. Senegalese twists are sleeker and longer than kinky twists. If your hair is kinky (like mine) you notice the frizz as soon as you wash your hair but if you don't care about that it's no problem. Kinky twists I like too but you have to make sure you get hair that's soft or else you'll be getting scratched by the hair. My absolute favorites are Freetress marley equal braid followed by Janet's kinky twist hair (forget the exact name). I normally wash and cowash them the same way I would if I installed twists on my own hair. I always let them airdry. I use liquid leave in/spritz (right now I'm using shea moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist and seal but in the past I've used rosewater/glycerin. I then seal with a little oil and get to going. I spritz for moisture and sleep in a satin cap or scarf to maintain the twists. I have to run bc this pager is ringing off the hook but let me know if you have any other questions

ETA andromeda I've noticed as soon as I stopped using creamy leave ins on the synthetic braids/twists and making sure I completely wash out conditioner after cowashing I've noticed no build up when I take down braids/twists. Taking down those knotted balls used to be a major source of breakage in the past. This way I get none of those balls at the root and detangling after braid removal is a piece of cake

Last edited:
@andromeda I have only worn Senegalese twists and this was back when I was transtioning, so I can't really give you my thoughts on how they compare with kinky twists. I can say that I like the sleek look of the Senegalese as well as the length you can get with them.

Your concerns:They can start to get a little frizzy after a few washes just like anything I guess. But it doesn't look too bad. I didn't have any matting and the synthetic hair didn't dry out my hair either. The weight was very minimal on my edges also.

I agree with @Foxglove about using liquid leave ins as opposed to creamy ones in order to prevent buildup. I used the same method with my cornrows that I had installed and I had very little buildup during removal. Good luck. :yawn:

Last edited:
My newly natural head wasn't ready for the summer. :blush: I cowash or DC 2-3 times per week and my ends still get dry by the second day. What gives...?!?! I'm thinking of becoming a heat-trained natural, else I'll continue experimenting with other conditioners. :ohwell: Feel free to give advice.:ohwell:

Thanks for the advice Platinum, Foxglove and StephElise!

SherylsTresses Maybe it's a porosity issue? Is it a dry heat where are you are; are there humectants in your conditioners? Maybe you have product buildup that's preventing your ends from receiving moisture?

It's also helpful to hone in on ingredients and technique and tweak accordingly to see how your hair responds rather than just switching products. Just the other day, a commenter on a bglh blog post about dryness said that it wasn't until she simplified her regimen and started re-introducing things one by one that she realized coconut oil was the culprit for her dryness. Whodathunk?

o/t Platinum Your grandbaby's face is so handsome and mature! It seems like just a short while ago he still had that "generic cute baby" look but now his features are so distinctive (I wish my eyebrows were as full as his!). Love the sideye! :lol:

I had to cut more hair, I'm probably bw sl and apl now, so in that respect my siggy is more accurate. lol

It's been too hot for a wig (esp since both of my wigs have bangs :nono:). A recent style:

I also figured out how to a great braidout - braid my hair in 6 large cornwrows going straight back; undo and massage roots to obscure parts.

I wore my hair out the other day:

My newly natural head wasn't ready for the summer. :blush: I cowash or DC 2-3 times per week and my ends still get dry by the second day. What gives...?!?! I'm thinking of becoming a heat-trained natural, else I'll continue experimenting with other conditioners. :ohwell: Feel free to give advice.:ohwell:

SherylTresses, I don't come in this thread a lot, but I would suggest focusing on your porosity. You can start off by figuring out if you have low or high porosity.
Check out these links: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair, http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/2009/01/hair-porosity.html.

I have the same issues and I have finally gotten the problem under control. HTH.

Thanks for the advice @Platinum, @Foxglove and @StephElise!

@SherylsTresses Maybe it's a porosity issue? Is it a dry heat where are you are; are there humectants in your conditioners? Maybe you have product buildup that's preventing your ends from receiving moisture?
It's also helpful to hone in on ingredients and technique and tweak accordingly to see how your hair responds rather than just switching products. Just the other day, a commenter on a bglh blog post about dryness said that it wasn't until she simplified her regimen and started re-introducing things one by one that she realized coconut oil was the culprit for her dryness. Whodathunk?

o/t @Platinum Your grandbaby's face is so handsome and mature! It seems like just a short while ago he still had that "generic cute baby" look but now his features are so distinctive (I wish my eyebrows were as full as his!). Love the sideye! :lol:

andromeda
I honestly believe the dry ends may result from me not detangling with a comb more often. I finger-detangle moreso. The heat index here has been as high as 105 F. I DC with AOHSR or Giovanni 50:50 and moisurize with GDLI mixed w/EVOO from root to ends (mostly w/o a comb). I don't think it's produce buildup bc I clarified about two weeks ago with AO Green Tea. My usual hairstyle is an airdryed pinned up hairstyle with twistout bangs.

Tried an oil rinse today. Smoothed on some olive oil all over my mini twists, rinsed, and then co-washed with tresemme. Now that it's dry, it is so soft and shiny. I'd say this method works :). Going on week 3 with these! So far so good.

Since I BC'ed I've pretty much been doing nothing to my hair at night except covering it and cowashing every morning. Tonight I'm trying something new. I sectioned my hair, sprayed with water and Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and twisted. Baggying with a plastic cap so hopefully I don't have to wash in the morning. We'll see how it turns out...

Since I BC'ed I've pretty much been doing nothing to my hair at night except covering it and cowashing every morning. Tonight I'm trying something new. I sectioned my hair, sprayed with water and Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and twisted. Baggying with a plastic cap so hopefully I don't have to wash in the morning. We'll see how it turns out...

LoveTheSkinImIn So how did it come out? I baggy too and i love it but I'm interested to see how the Hawaiian Silky worked.

To rid myself of dry ends, I put my hair in a bun and sleeping in the baggy method. I sure hope this helps. If not, then on to porosity per Adromeda and PrissyMiss.

@LoveTheSkinImIn So how did it come out? I baggy too and i love it but I'm interested to see how the Hawaiian Silky worked.

It worked greaaaaaaaaat!! The next morning I took the twists out (they were big...only about 9 or 10 for my whole head) And It felt great, looked great. I thought to myself this is gonna be a great hair day!

To style, I left the front 4 twists in and just pinned them back and left the rest out. I got 5 compliments on my hair (specifically, my curl pattern)!! Last night I tried baggying after twisting with water and shea butter leave in. It worked great as well. I'm in love with this now and will def continue doing it for as long as I can. Hair feels moisturized all day and lets me keep my curls which was my concern to begin with.

Last edited:
Hey ladies,

Did my own kinky twist last night using Janet Collection Kinky hair. It took a total of 10 hours with frequent stops chasing after DD.

Will take lots of pics and post them soon!

I still can't believe I did my own kinky twist. It was really easy, actually. Took a lot of time but easy nonetheless. I was tired of searching for someone in Hawaii to "hook my hair up". DIY baby!!!!!

^^^ My kinky twist.

397873362.jpg

397873363.jpg

397873364.jpg

I'm mad they already look old and frizzy. I purposly tried not to braid or twist too tight. I also regret the hair color choice. Too loud for me..... :look:

I'll try Color 1B or 2 next time. No highlight color.

I attempted twist AGAIN last night using Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave In...It's AMAZING on twist. I get lazy with my twist :look:

229612_2304183729351_1391992398_32762180_4595586_n.jpg

I attempted twist AGAIN last night using Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave In...It's AMAZING on twist. I get lazy with my twist :look:

229612_2304183729351_1391992398_32762180_4595586_n.jpg

OMG:lick: Just gorgeous!

I BC June 24th and I got so frustrated with my hair (I'm 4a/b). My ends were just brittle and I would put products in my hair and oil and it would be dry by the end of the day. To save me from going insane I put it in braid extensions last week until I get money to get a good regime going.

OMG:lick: Just gorgeous!

I BC June 24th and I got so frustrated with my hair (I'm 4a/b). My ends were just brittle and I would put products in my hair and oil and it would be dry by the end of the day. To save me from going insane I put it in braid extensions last week until I get money to get a good regime going.

aviddiva77 Thank you!!!!

I think most of us have used products that did NOTHING for our hair. It's all about trial and error (alot of error sometimes LOL). I wish you the best finding what works for you. Congratulations on your BC and welcome to natural side of thangs. :)

Back